Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Travic posted:

Oh I like the respawning. I was worried they'd taken it out. Especially for things like cloth. There is not enough normally to make all the armor and rope I use.

Yeah, those are definitely no problem. I've rebuilt my goose lake hunting hideout and every time I go out the cannibal effigies to the north have respawned and I can grab cloth off them. Little further to the northeast is a empty village where two ropes spawn.

Goose lake is still pretty nice for a first safe hideout. I don't think I've ever seen cannibals attack it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Jawnycat posted:

Flashlight.

The flashlight on its own is terrible. Its main use is to be attached to the bows for a permanent(weak) flashlight so you shoot in caves/at night.

Fewd posted:

Yeah, those are definitely no problem. I've rebuilt my goose lake hunting hideout and every time I go out the cannibal effigies to the north have respawned and I can grab cloth off them. Little further to the northeast is a empty village where two ropes spawn.

Goose lake is still pretty nice for a first safe hideout. I don't think I've ever seen cannibals attack it.

Goose lake is great. There is a cave nearby with LOTS of respawning cloth. Which is what I was mainly thinking about. :D

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
for a permanent base, i prefer the small archipelago of islands on the east side of the map. cannibals and mutants cannot swim, so it's literally impossible for your storage there to get screwed up unless you blow it up yourself. it's also directly at sea level, so it's trivial to build zip lines to the nearby cliffs to access it quickly and easily, and also to throw logs down the zipline so you can build things. with sufficient amounts of rope you can build ziplines to it from close to anywhere precisely because it is so low, but i dunno how much care there is to give.

even my 'base' there is really more just a massive storage area that i can stockpile annoying-to-find commodities like bones, booze, rope, etc and a guaranteed week of food and water. i'll make a proper log cabin and if i'm feeling really saucy a gazebo, but it's mostly there to provide ultra-safe storage space and a final hidey hole if the island gets too hot and i need to lay low for a few days.

beyond that i prefer a waystation model where i have a small, easy to duplicate camp that i design to last in new areas which i then set up to make it simple to get basics. the checklist basically goes:

- small log cabin
- fire pit
- drying rack (or three, i add them as i have spare food and they are insanely cheap)
- bird house

and ideally:
- one or two skull lamps
- a deadfall trap
- a water collector
- a bench

i typically build waystations near ponds, so i have a ready supply of food (from the fish) and water (though it needs to be boiled). i specifically go with a small log cabin for two reasons: first, it actually provides rain and cold protection whereas a hunter's shelter does not, and it provides a wall that i can build against. a bird house is will not only attract birds that you can hit with the repair hammer to get small meat, it will passively collect feathers for you while you're out running around, which is nice. the nature of this means that you do not necessarily need to build near a pond to have a decent food input though, birds are basically ubiquitous and they don't learn when the first 4 of them get smashed with a hammer, so you can build a waystation near any place that's relevant to you and have a healthy diet sorted.

if there's a little extra time, i'll throw up a few skull lamps so i can see what the hell i'm doing when the sun goes down, a bench to grab a quick breather if i'm passing by, a deadfall trap to make it quicker and easier to engage mutants in the area (preferably built a distance away from the waystation, so as not to endanger the rest of the structures), and a water collector for no-effort clean water. the water collector is honestly the hardest part of the entire affair, since turtle shells are annoying to come by. beyond that it's just sticks, rocks, and logs from about 4 or maybe 5 trees. the entire affair goes up quite quickly, eliminates any concerns you even remotely have about basic needs, and if poo poo goes really wrong and you lose an entire waystation to a mutant or a cannibal assault, who the gently caress cares, you've got another 10 scattered throughout the peninsula.

the stealth benefit to this is that using your weapon to chop down trees means that you'll start building Strength from the get-go without doing the insanely gamey poo poo you otherwise have to do to make sure your strength goes up nicely.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 5, 2018

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Can you use them to climb out of the small island too or do you have to swim to the shore?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fewd posted:

Can you use them to climb out of the small island too or do you have to swim to the shore?

Takes some extra logs but if you build a custom foundation to get a good 15-20 feet of altitude you can build another zip line from your platform to the shore and not get your feet wet at all.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This is... a problem.

The cockpit got shot out of my fighter, and it's maintaining position at too great a height for me to reach with my jetpack.
I left my capital ship in orbit so it'd be safe.
There's no breathable air on the planet and I don't think there's any water either.

Umm.... charge at the alien installation, try to take it over so I can deconstruct it and feed the blocks into the Factory to produce a tiny SV?

Edit: I used my drone to turn the thrusters off, but it won't fall.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 6, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

This is... a problem.

The cockpit got shot out of my fighter, and it's maintaining position at too great a height for me to reach with my jetpack.
I left my capital ship in orbit so it'd be safe.
There's no breathable air on the planet and I don't think there's any water either.

Umm.... charge at the alien installation, try to take it over so I can deconstruct it and feed the blocks into the Factory to produce a tiny SV?

Edit: I used my drone to turn the thrusters off, but it won't fall.

Protip: always have one of those cheap SVs prebuilt in your blueprint constructor as an escape pod, for just these situations.

But yeah, your best bet is to deconstruct an alien base.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So does Empyrion not have invertable flight controls? :stare:

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Conan Exiles came out of early access. A friend and I played it for about three hours and it seems good, which is shocking given the EA release quality.

Is there any Goon clan presence out there? I want to build a sweet village on a PvE server, but wouldn't mind dominating a PvP server as well.

DrunkMidget
May 29, 2003
'Shag'd Wo'bram?" -Borra

Snaxx posted:

Conan Exiles came out of early access. A friend and I played it for about three hours and it seems good, which is shocking given the EA release quality.

Is there any Goon clan presence out there? I want to build a sweet village on a PvE server, but wouldn't mind dominating a PvP server as well.

I rented a PvE server for 6 months (to start, I'll probably keep it longer depending on popularity) that's also open to the public, but the more goons the better. The official servers are either 1x EXP/Resources (everything takes forever) or 10x EXP/Resources and there's no feeling of progression, you're just max-level in a couple nights. Come join us, it's a pretty fun game.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856395

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jawnycat posted:

Jesus the flashlight in The Forest is such utter garbo, it's so incredibly bad it's really not worth using over the piddly lighter. I just honestly cannot get over how bad the flashlight is. Like, is it some weird setting/hardware/software thing on my end? It cannot possibly be intended for it to be so bad, especially when it uses rare batteries to work? :psyduck:

I probably should grab some screenshots next time I play so I can have a comparison shot between flashlight on/off just to show this, a 'see if you can tell the difference' dealy, because I am still in goddamn shock at how abysmal it is.

And I appear to have gotten far enough into the game that the underground things have migrated above ground and leaving the relative safety of my walled camp to even just go cut down a few trees nearby is tense and uncomfortable, the entire game world feels oppressive now that I know those things can be anywhere at anytime and I still don't have a good strategy for fighting them. Is good.

It's possible the flashlight isn't working because of a hardware/software thing, because it definitely casts light further out than the lighter.

That said, they're both VERY dim.

Here's a fix. Go into your settings and change the "color grading" to M131. Dark will no longer be PITCH dark. It feels a little bit like cheating, in fact it's maybe too bright. But after clearing six caves by squinting into my monitor, I was fully done with darkness.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I've owned The Forest for quite a while and though I've played it for 13 hours I still have no idea how to actually make progress. I appear to spend way too long loving around trying to build my base and while I'm doing that the cannibals power up to absurd levels.

I made an archipelago base thinking it would help and it did - sort of. I can basically avoid the cannibals but I have no idea what to do now. I went to explore a cave and that ended poorly. Some big beefy guy and a "normal" guy beat the hell out of me.

The next day I went to explore a bit more but I can't seem to actually make any progress. I have a club I got off a cannibal, a crafted axe and a bow with arrows. I have no idea what the hell I'm supposed to do as every time I make a trek out on land I seem to run across a massive patrol of those pale guys and they beat the hell out of me.

Did I gently caress around too long (again)? What do you guys do?

Also - to the zipline guy - where the heck do I get an adequate enough supply of rope to make the zipline? And do I take it from a tree on the mainland to the island or were you building it on the beach?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Did you find the bigass hole? Pretty sure you want to go in there. I'm not 100% sure because last time I played I went down there and it said something like "Sorry! Rest of the game is coming soon!" and wouldn't let me go further.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
You need to build armor by disemboweling cannibals and roasting their limbs to get bone. Then you stand a chance.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I don't really like building a big base out on some island or hard to reach spot. I like to build right in the middle of the woods, so I have access to loads of quick and easy timber and I can have a lot of escape routes if things get too hot.

It's good to have small camps here and there to run between, but I love having a big main base in the middle of thick forest. I just clear cut a huge area and built lots of traps and walls that funnel the cannibals into those traps. For best results, go for a defense-in-depth, with multiple layers of traps that they have to run through. Then you will get lots of dead bodies you can turn into bone armor. And you can eat their limbs too so you don't even have to leave your base for food. I also like to have a few elevated platforms and treehouses to snipe at them and jump down and ambush them from. They can't get to you up there, but the really huge mutants can knock down the tree platforms so watch out for those. For a really fun time, build a base out of the plane crash site. You can build stuff on the roof of the plane and have tree platforms that lead to it. Then not even the big mutants can get you.

Also, the more aggressive and violent you are toward the cannibals, the more they will retaliate. Eventually it will get so bad that they will never leave you alone and they will constantly attack you with huge raiding parties. Sometimes you just want to avoid them and back away, or find a quiet spot and lay low for a while.

I never made it that far into the game's storyline but exploring the caves is what you want to do eventually. There are really good weapons and stuff down there that you will want to get.

Vasler posted:

Also - to the zipline guy - where the heck do I get an adequate enough supply of rope to make the zipline? And do I take it from a tree on the mainland to the island or were you building it on the beach?

I still haven't even used ziplines so I don't know how they work, but you can make more rope using cloth. Like five pieces of cloth makes a rope or something like that.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Kenzie posted:

Also, the more aggressive and violent you are toward the cannibals, the more they will retaliate. Eventually it will get so bad that they will never leave you alone and they will constantly attack you with huge raiding parties.

This is actually why I can't get into The Forest. Yes I know it's a dumb thing for MY IMMERSION to get hung up on but I don't like the endless supply of cannibals who endlessly attack, at some point you'd think they'd just leave you the gently caress alone or else run out of people. I'd love a survival game with some real outside dangers involved and need for caution when exploring/expanding, but this one just overdoes it to such a degree. It becomes a very crowded forest.

Also, anyone played Salt? It's got all the crafting and food requirements, although once you get off your island it seems to be more about exploration.

Something about bright almost cartoonish art style appeals to me, it's very pretty and relaxing and so far I've learned I'm bad at controlling boats. When I did finally make it to the island I was aiming for, I was killed by the goofiest looking pirates.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 20, 2018

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Maybe I should just try to relocate a base to the middle of the woods.

While I really like these types of games they've forced me to admit that I'm just not that creative and I have limited ability to plan the type of base out that you've described.

The other thing is that the one time I did try this I was constantly harassed by cannibals. I had an entire boneyard of bones.

Then at one point some massive thing with arms appeared and that was the end of that game.

Things just seem to escalate so fast and I can't get myself established so I can go adventuring because my base is under constant harassment from those cannibals. Maybe I should build some treehouses by the airplane.

Have people tried Eden Star? What's that game like? It looks interesting.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

so regarding the forest: remember your overall goal is to find timmy. the location he is at doesn't change so if you know where you're going and what you're doing you can beat the game very quickly. the current speedrun is something like 21 minutes and uses no major skipping bugs. unsurprisingly, though, there is an entire history and poo poo behind the island. a large part of the reason the forest is such a big game is that, by design, your story is a very, very small part of the overall picture. it's easy to spend 21 hours just finding your bearings before you get to the 21 minutes you are actually finding timmy with.

use the little constructions you have to help chart the caves. stick markers are very helpful for this; i build a lot of them, and when a specific cave or cave route is sorted out, i change the color of the flag to let me know that it's explored. you can turn the flag to a gray one to keep it from showing up on your hud if the area is no longer interesting.

it's actually not as hazardous as you think to go to the wiki to look something up, either. the caves are so complicated that looking at maps will frequently just confuse you more, so looking at one of them to try to figure out a path to get to x item is not as much a spoiler as you might think.

regarding the cannibal and mutant attacks: so there are three things that determine the overall strength of the raiding parties you face. first is aggression. the cannibals start out unaware you're even on the island and they will largely keep away from you when you stumble across them initially. you can make them back off without increasing aggression if you keep your eyes on them, block, and WALK, do not RUN, to a spot where they have difficulty following. you cannot perform any aggressive motions while they are watching you or they will get more spooked of you. this includes chopping down trees and using weapons on wildlife. this will keep them mostly docile and unwilling to gently caress with you, though obviously it means you are going to have babysitters for a large part of the first few days. i personally don't do this at all, because once the cannibals catch you in the caves (and they will, because even if the wandering cannibals in the caves sometimes sleep, the mutants do not) they will never forgive you. aggression WILL go up as part of the game, it's just a question of when and why.

the second piece of the puzzle is awareness. if the cannibals do not know where you are, you will only get their background patrol strength rather than the larger raiding parties they can field. this is precisely why i encourage a small camp/waystation model rather than a single big camp. if raids intensify you can just gently caress off for a few days. if things get REALLY hot you can gently caress off to an island retreat where they literally cannot get to you and screw around until the heat is off.

the third is just time, which everyone's familiar with. mutants aren't gonna show up until about a week in no matter what. nothing fancy there.

also worth noting that the caves do not respawn enemies. so, ironically, the caves will rapidly become more safe than the outside. since being in the caves solves the problem of having a roof over your head, it becomes reasonable to just toss up a bed inside of a cave crack along with a fire pit and a drying rack, and only popping out of the cave long enough to grab water from a collector and hunt enough rabbits and lizards to put on the drying rack.

regarding rope, the larger cannibal villages have a supply that respawns every couple of days - it looks like nooses hanging down from the rooftops of their buildings. also, yes, 7 cloth = 1 rope. it's still difficult to get enough rope to make truly epic ziplines (you really do not want to be at less than like 50 cloth because of how much it gets used), but personally you only have use for something like 8 or 9 rope, period, before it becomes completely useless to the development of your character.

again, the forest is a substantial amount better if you have someone to roll with, so if anyone is bouncing off of it and wants to roll co-op just let me know, i am happy to play it with pretty much anyone.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Coolguye posted:

also worth noting that the caves do not respawn enemies

I'm fairly sure that's false, at least with 1.0? I specifically remember caves I had thoroughly cleared having cannibals in them again an in-game week or two since last going through them, although I've never noticed cave based mutants respawning. Was a real surprise since I had assumed that yeah, they didn't respawn, based on wiki skimming.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It may be a two week thing maybe but definitely not one. My current game I’ve had multiple caves cleared for over a week and it’s just as empty as ever.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Got The Forest confused with Darkwood. "I don't remember any ziplines in Darkwood." Found a Forest LP on Twitch and welp, that's a game I'm not playing at night. Watched a horde of things destroy a palisade. Some of those things had too many limbs. :gonk:

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Thanks for all the tips guys. I took a break from The Forest but then found some videos from a YouTuber named Farket. He has a slick video about "Your first day" where he basically gets the modern axe and builds a houseboat. I might try it.

The video is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd01jE0hVjM.

Quite a bit more efficient than what I was doing, in any case! I'm gonna give it a try and see if I can actually find the cannibal village (without dying to get there).

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Vasler posted:

Thanks for all the tips guys. I took a break from The Forest but then found some videos from a YouTuber named Farket. He has a slick video about "Your first day" where he basically gets the modern axe and builds a houseboat. I might try it.

The video is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd01jE0hVjM.

Quite a bit more efficient than what I was doing, in any case! I'm gonna give it a try and see if I can actually find the cannibal village (without dying to get there).

I did this for my current playthrough and it works, but you have to be really fast to get it before night. Probably just want to save scum until you get the plane spawn right near that village/cave.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

houseboat is cool but of less use than you might think because the coastline around the peninsula is all pretty safe and uninteresting, and to really use it without a lot of hassle embarking and disembarking you need to build docks, which are pretty log intensive. and even then, main thing you would go down to the ocean for is to get turtle shells from the sea turtles.

i prefer to focus on fundamentals - craft a bow, get arrows, start shooting rabbits, and build a waystation near a pond. fill a drying rack with fish, rabbits, and lizards. start heading north to get to deer territory for day 2, start killing deer and boar. build waystations as you go and fill drying racks with the generic meat you gather. after you have a decent supply of arrows, a crafted club, and a waterskin, you are basically ready for anything.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Apparently The Long Dark is changing their cooking system so you can basically set a can of beans near the fire / on a stove and go do other poo poo for a while, which is neat. There's some other work in progress documented in their latest dev update. They say it'll be out in June, we'll see about that.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Is anybody playing Raft? I’m loving it so far. gently caress that shark though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

he1ixx posted:

Is anybody playing Raft? I’m loving it so far. gently caress that shark though.

I played what I guess was a pre-alpha, someone linked it in the thread months ago. It was pretty fun if shallow at the time so I imagine it can only grow from there. I'm keeping my eye on it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Got back into The Forest now that it's released and started a new game with the sole intention of declaring all-out war on the cannibals. All of my previous games I always attempted to avoid them as long as possible, but it is a lot more fun to run around the island build little forts and fighting anyone I see. Saw the big mutants for the first time today this playthrough, forgot about those guys.

Rushing the modern axe is a must, probably the biggest QOL improvement in the game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I played what I guess was a pre-alpha, someone linked it in the thread months ago. It was pretty fun if shallow at the time so I imagine it can only grow from there. I'm keeping my eye on it.

Yeah, sounds like it might still be a little bare right now? But it certainly seems interesting.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

Rushing the modern axe is a must, probably the biggest QOL improvement in the game.
tbh if you are getting that much out of the modern axe it is a sign you're chopping too many trees and not enough cannibals

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, sounds like it might still be a little bare right now? But it certainly seems interesting.

It seems full enough of interesting mechanics and things happening to hold my interest for several hours and I'm intrigued enough to keep playing to see where it goes. It has a ton of potential.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Coolguye posted:

tbh if you are getting that much out of the modern axe it is a sign you're chopping too many trees and not enough cannibals

I find the modern axe is nice but from videos I expected to be chopping down trees in two whacks and that hasn't been my experience.

Now, stumbling on the katana, that's been a game changing experience. I'm not sure about handsy but spiderwoman is the only real threat to me now.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

he1ixx posted:

It seems full enough of interesting mechanics and things happening to hold my interest for several hours and I'm intrigued enough to keep playing to see where it goes. It has a ton of potential.

It was pretty fun for a couple hours with a friend, but not sure how quickly a person would tire of it. Getting past the basic starvation/thirst loop feels a bit mis-tuned right now. I didn't starve to death, but I spent a lot of my playtime getting planks, feeding them into my ghetto water boiling thing, drinking it, repeat.

Other nasty thing is I dunno how it normally handles a joining player quitting. I bumped (oops, my fault) my case's power button so windows started a shutdown that instantly quit the game - and when I came back after aborting the reboot, my character had nothing, so I had to re-gain all my resources.

I dunno if number of sharks scales with playercount. With only 2 (and my friend being a slightly more passive player than I) it felt hard to actually make headway on some of the inflection points of resources/teching up. (Getting all the clay and sand for a smelter, for example).

I think it was fun, and there's some definite promise there, but I'd like to see some stuff tweaked. Durability is too low on tools, for example.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I got Raft a couple of weeks ago and spent the weekend playing it. Once you get your raft to the point that you have the evaporator and good food sources it can be pretty relaxing just floating along. The game would be better if, instead of the shark attacking every five minutes and biting off one piece, it was once an hour but a major fight, would make it easier to sit back and chill awhile. Still, overall I enjoyed it for the price.

I picked up Conan Exiles last week and have been playing it on the Crom's Drunken Camel Punchers (PVE-focused) goon server. For $40 it was a gamble, but I've been really enjoying it so far, although I think a lot of that is due to the server settings, specifically the non-PVP and increased drops. With that, collecting / building stuff is quick enough to avoid being a drag, but involved enough to be satisfying. The world itself is really pretty, and despite half the map being desert, there's a lot of visual variety in the different biomes. The game world feels much more like a single player RPG than the typical survival sandbox, in a good way. You can climb on almost everything, and my brain keeps switching to BotW mode, freaking out when it rains and trying to jump to climb up faster. Combat is a little bit punchier and more involved than your typical floaty feeling stabfest, it's no DARK SOULS but it has weight.

It's really atmospheric and when I find myself camping out at sunset or in the dark-rear end night, it reminds me a tiny bit of seeing the sunset at the Erudin docks for the first time, back in EQ1 so long ago. It has, just a little bit, of that magic.

For comparison's sake, I played Ark for about 2 weeks at the launch of EA and thought it was okayish but nothing to write home about, make of that what you will.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 6, 2018

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Conan Exiles is the most enjoyable "survival" game I've played in a long time. Quotation marks because the survival aspect is relatively light, but the game makes up for that with combat and interesting exploration. The game has a problem with being bug-ridden though, and not just speaking about minor glitches. I kind of find it funny how Funcom does this decade after decade. They're simply too dumb to not nuke their game releases with bugs.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
What platform are you on? I haven't come across much in the way of bugs (1 CTD and some general jankiness with thralls) on PC but I've heard it's not so great on PS4.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I'm playing on PC too, in single player cause I mostly just wanna build cool stuff without interference.

My main gripe is with thralls and lost corpses. Lost corpses aren't a completely huge deal since I can go into admin mode and respawn the stuff I had but still, I've died three or four times and TWICE the game has lost my corpse. Thanks, game, but I'm not running Kinscourge and such to recraft the stuff I lost to a bug.

Another thing is thralls then... It'd be a shorter list to say what about them is working than what's not. Probably the "funniest" broken part about thralls is that I simply can't have one follow me without some bug murdering the thrall. Here's last three times I had a thrall accompany me.

1. Looong looong run around the map with Freya, I got back to my base and decided Freya is cool for surviving all that so she can be a bodyguard in my quarters. I tell her to stop following and place her in my room, grats on your promotion Freya! She proptly falls through the floor into whatever void awaits under the world. She was never seen again.

2. Took a thrall with me to raid Asa...garth? The northerner town. Thrall is nice to have along for steel raids as poo poo's heavy, right. Okay, we pillage the place for a while and head back with inventories full with prime loots. We walk into my fortress, I head to second floor where my room is. I enter my room and hear a mysterious "GNAAARGH". Say what? I turn around and see nobody. Okay... I head downstairs. I see my thrall at the fortress entrance hall floor, literally cleaved in half, not one enemy for miles. Thanks for carrying my poo poo I guess, at least I got to loot you :smith:

3. Decided to take a thrall along for a looong trip, went from north to sinkhole, to the jungle and killed witch queen, back to desert and off to Sepermeru, and then back to north. Finally home! Yay! Thrall lived! I step into elevator and head up. I hear a mysterious "GNAAAAAARGH!". Fffffffff...

Say hi to Freya if you see her.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 8, 2018

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
RE: falling through the floor, I found out yesterday that when I demolished a foundation under a thrall, he fell through the next layer down, but was still alive and standing on the foundation 1 layer below that. Maybe check that if you have deep foundations.

Another bug I ran into last night: My base is a little north of Asagarth, and I was running down to the Den to capture some thrall types I was having a hard time finding closer to home. My route included a tall, huge staircase down from the nearby cliffs. Dragged the first thrall up no problem. On tries 2 and 3 (level 3 blacksmith and armorer), in the course of dragging them up the staircase, they vanished off my leash and I then found a mangled corpse at the top that wasn't there before :smith: after that I found a different, longer route which was traversible by natural terrain and I got them, but still, it sucked.

Still having tons of fun with it though.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

metasynthetic posted:

RE: falling through the floor, I found out yesterday that when I demolished a foundation under a thrall, he fell through the next layer down, but was still alive and standing on the foundation 1 layer below that. Maybe check that if you have deep foundations.

RE: falling through the floor. Was doing some renovations and had to break down some old foundations.

Well hello there... hope you had a lovely two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
A group of friends and I picked up The Forest a few weeks back to gently caress around in. Our plane crashed right next to the largest cannibal village on the island and we set up a big fuckoff base on a cliff nearby, which I think inadvertently ramped the aggression up way more than you're supposed to. It also probably didn't help that our first response to them sending a raiding party was to gear up and hit the village with a retaliatory strike. :v:

Anyway we were having a fun time romping around the island bonking cannibals, and eventually we got ballsy enough to explore a cave. Things were going great, then the following scene played out:

:geno: "No we haven't gone this way yet... what the hell is that on the floor?"
:) "Something's moving up ahead, can't tell what it is though."
:stare: "Oh my god are those fetuses on the ground?!"
:geno: "Yeah definitely something moving ahead. Anybody have a flare?"
:) "I do, hold on."
*flare lights up the cavern revealing the first mutant we've ever seen, it immediately charges us*
:stonk: "OH GOD WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT-!"

We managed to kill it with fire after it's initial charge wrecked two of us, then immediately booked it for the surface. Sun is setting and we're in the middle of nowhere, so we try to throw up a cabin only for two more mutants to pop out of the forest and scare to hell and back because oh god these things are on the surface now?! We manage to survive the night and book it back to camp come morning, and ever since it's turned into an actually tense survival horror game where we have safety precautions and stockpiles and only move in groups of two to avoid ambush. We also threw up a house boat next to our main base stocked with supplies in case things go south and we have to book it.

10/10 I expected a dumb unity sandbox that would kill an evening or two and instead got an actually fantastic co-op survival horror experience.