Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Photex posted:

Can't wait for when this tour starts and there is no visuals or anything, it's just going to be the band on stage just like it was in the 90s!

That's the thing really. Lights in the Sky is worth the extra cash but who knows what this will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Photex posted:

Can't wait for when this tour starts and there is no visuals or anything, it's just going to be the band on stage just like it was in the 90s!
They've done that before and it's been fine, but it's not nearly as immersive as when they go all out and have a full A/V package to deliver, and it definitely doesn't make the ticket price seem as worth it when it's as high as it is on this tour.

Trent's not nearly the same live performer as he was in the 90s. That's not to say I don't think he's still great because I do, but you're just getting the music out of him nowadays, no real stunts. The only stunt here seems to be the whole physical presale thing. And again, I love the music and he still kills it when he's on stage, but typically nowadays you don't have that unpredictability factor at a Nine Inch Nails show that would've been there 20 or even 10 years ago.

Who knows, though. Maybe they'll have Jesus And Mary Chain come out to do some songs with them and it might be rad :shrug:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i saw them during 08 when they had the massive set and ga ran me like $30

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

I loving adore how NIN’s Twitter account is giddily retweeting pictures of people buying 10-12 tickets as if they actually plan on bringing their entire extended family to the concert and aren’t planning on immediately flipping these online.

I was pissed when I saw that. I can’t go to the tour this year because Trent hates Ticketmaster or something blah blah and then they turn around and do that.

Like the new music but Trent is a dumbass for doing this.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's gonna be really obnoxious when the rest if the tickets go on sale and sell out in a nanosecond and all the people that were really into this dumb idea are gonna be like "see, look how bad that was!"

Those people are missing the fact that the same amount of people get tickets anyways, it’s just now you find out whether or not you’re going to get tickets instantly and in your own home where there’s air conditioning and no rain, instead of driving two hours to a specially designated box office in lovely weather where you could be turned away as soon as you show up because the four-hour line is already too long.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i saw them during 08 when they had the massive set and ga ran me like $30

Same, that's the last time I saw them, in Knoxville with Deerhunter opening. The crowd kept insulting Brandon for being a "fag" (he was wearing a UT cheerleader's outfit) and loudly yelling "WHO THE gently caress ARE THESE GUYS"

NIN fans are the best. :jerkbag:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I still can't loving imagine what NIN fans thought of Explosions in the Sky and Godspeed You Black Emperor as openers during the Tension tour (if they weren't familiar with them before)

I'd imagine there was a lot of talking over their sets.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i got to see HEALTH play it ruled

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i got to see HEALTH play it ruled

I did too. The crowd hated it so much.

NIN and Tool shows always tested me with how determined I was to go to a show and know I would be putting up with the worst canvases in music. Thought a Tool crowd was going to kill Mike Patton when Fantomas opened for them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
When Dresden Dolls opened for NIN in Boston, I think they actually got booed. I got a CD signed by them in the hall and Amanda Palmer just seemed thrilled to be there though.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you're not supposed to say over and out. Just "out", if you're leaving. Nothing can stop me now

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Worst support? I saw Atari Teenage riot support NiN in London, but as they were wrecked from touring, we got a set of deafening noise and screaming that hosed a lot of people off and up.

https://atariteenageriot.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-brixton-academy-1999-remastered

poo poo, 1999?

Also caught the NINJA tour, but as I only knew Been Caught Stealing I thought Jane's Addiction was mostly pompous wank.

edit But we got two surprise songs with Gary Newman which more than made up for it.

http://www.jdale.net/ninja-london-o2-july-2009/

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 21, 2018

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Hello my fellow goons and NiN fans. I recently have gotten very, very clean in my life. I'm a huge fan and I have a new video from my album I just finished. I hope you won't mind if I promote it here, it means the world to me if you have a minute to check it out. This album is mostly hip hop with a few really out there tracks like this one, which is like if NIN and Prodigy beat the poo poo out of each other on cocaine. Thanks for reading this far also im gay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnGRCrk3PzI

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Donovan Trip posted:

Hello my fellow goons and NiN fans. I recently have gotten very, very clean in my life. I'm a huge fan and I have a new video from my album I just finished. I hope you won't mind if I promote it here, it means the world to me if you have a minute to check it out. This album is mostly hip hop with a few really out there tracks like this one, which is like if NIN and Prodigy beat the poo poo out of each other on cocaine. Thanks for reading this far also im gay

lmao this owns actually

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Donovan Trip posted:

This is p cool. Good luck on attaining fame and fortune just to inevitably relapse!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/998704575166238720

Oh Trent :allears:

(spoiler alert: Bad Witch is an album not an EP because of placement in streaming services)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

(spoiler alert: Bad Witch is an album not an EP because of placement in streaming services)

The way bands do this now is so weird. MONO's For My Parents, an hour long album, is listed as a "single" on Spotify :psyduck:

edit: Oh, it appears that's finally been fixed, but it was that way for years

precision fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 22, 2018

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
tr is legend for flaming the poo poo out of people in echoingthesound over the years lmao

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/998704575166238720

Oh Trent :allears:

Lol both at this whole situation and at music journalists grabbing news from forum posts and whatever else they can get their hands on.

Well, enjoy the new EP everybody

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
I had decided that I wasn't going to go line up in LA for NIN tickets, even though the Palladium is a really cool venue and the only time I've seen them as at the Staples Center (In the pit, but still, Palladium is a much smaller venue). Come Saturday morning I'm looking at the hash tags and seeing people line up well before the allowed time. Apparently the line was an absolute monster, 'Oh well,' I thought, and took my time making breakfast. A few hours later I kept looking up the hashtags and thought that since the box office is open until 3, I can just show up a little later after the line has died out and pick up tickets, they are playing the Palladium 4 nights and I doubt it was going to sell out. My roommate had just flown out that morning on vacation and was texting me to see if I had gone after all, and I guess that just pushed me to go check it out. Downtown Los Angeles is about a 50 minute drive without traffic and I figured if tickets were sold out I'll just make it an LA day, go to Amoeba or see a movie.

I get there around 12:30, find a lot, the guy tells me that I have until 6pm to get back. I tell him that shouldn't be a problem, I'm only going to that line down the street. I walk into the venue lot and find a massive block of barricades that are completely empty, with maybe 6 rows of people left sitting in the line. There is also another area around the corner of the lot where there was around 25 rows where they are processing the tickets. The line was a lot longer than I thought it was going to be, but clearly there was a lot less people here than the morning so I got in line and and promptly pulled out my phone to pass the time. An hour later and we had only moved two rows. I was texting my fiance (who had work at 3pm) about the line, and told her I'm probably just gonna leave if the line doesn't pick up and get something to eat.

It was getting close to hour 2 when I decided I'll just commit to it and see if the line ever really picks up (it didn't). My phone was sitting at 30% because I'm an idiot that didn't plan for this and forgot to charge my phone the night before, so I just stood in line, people watched and uh as Trent intended, struck up conversation with the person behind me who was also in line by himself. We chatted a bit about how ridiculous this line was, shows we've been to, a bit about where we were coming from and why we got in line so late. I also noticed strangers next to each other started opening up and talking. I guess Trent's dumb experiment worked? Everyone was super nice in line, saving strangers spots when they had to go fill their meter or grab some food (they had food trucks in the lot) or use the bathroom.

At 3 hours we finally moved over to the 2nd section of rows. At length the rows were much shorter than the previous section. This was around 2:50 and I had guessed it would only be about an hour and a half more. 1 hour and 30 minutes later and I'm started to realize that I might not be back to the lot in time and was not sure if at 6 I would just leave the venue empty handed and make sure my car isn't towed away. This whole thing was also supposed to end at 3pm so they closed off the gates. Everything ended up working out as the guy at the gate was super nice about it and letting people in and out to fill their meters (which I didn't known about). Gave the parking guy another $10 (yeah) and got back in line.

Saturday was the first night to sell out. Everyone figured Friday would be next, with Tuesday and Wednesday the week after being all that's left. We talked about it in line and at that point we were just going to be happy with whatever we could get. There was a sign with the dates and one of the venue staffers walked up to board and X'd it out with blue tape. Around 4pm the same guy with the blue tape was visibly on the 2nd floor slowly walking to the board, the entire line erupted into boo's. The guy with a grin on his face slowly crossed out Friday. He then raised the blue tape in the air and uh people cheered and clapped? All in good fun I suppose.

Getting down to the wire, we were a few rows away from the makeshift box office they setup. There were about 6-8 stations and each transaction took around 2-3 minutes. I suppose that's why the line took so long. As the line dwindled down people that got their ticket would cheer and yell and the entire line would cheer and yell back at them acknowledging that yes, we loving endured this. Oddly enough they had someone going down the first 2 rows seeing if they would take a mobile ticket with an empty ticket holder just to speed up the line. It seemed a bit silly to wait 6 hours with only approximately 10-15 minutes left in the line take the mobile ticket.

At the end of the line a few us were talking about if this was going to be a trend and we all said we'll probably just eat the charges on stubhub and get hosed over by the scalpers. But it was kind of a fun experience all in all, maybe fun is not the right word, but interesting?? I basically people watched for 6 1/2 hours. NIN fans are an interesting lot :shrug:. I ended up picking up 4 tickets for Wednesday, exchanged a few fist bumps with other people I made small talk with in line, chatted it up with the guy that was next to me in line after finding out he got Wednesday too and said maybe we'll see each other there and headed out.

I didn't really expect to write this much about it but I thought I'd share some of my story. TLDR; 6 1/2 hours in line, overall it was an interesting experience, would never do again, can't loving wait till December.

I still can't loving imagine what NIN fans thought of Explosions in the Sky and Godspeed You Black Emperor as openers during the Tension tour (if they weren't familiar with them before)

I was upfront in the pit when Explosions was playing and there were two people behind me chatting it up through their set. It feels weird to ask someone to be quiet at a NIN show so I just ignored it. People around us ended up shushing them multiple times until someone politely asked them to quiet down. Explosions has some really quiet parts and you're stuck just listening to their conversations. (This ends up happening to A LOT of shows I go to, I tend to try to move away if I can but :shrug:. Who goes to a show and holds a full blown conversation about their week a show where the only band is the headliner?!) Anyways besides this the crowd seemed to enjoy them, and they are one of my favorite bands so that was an absolute treat to see them open up for NIN.

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 22, 2018

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Godspeed in Boston wasn't too bad, people were still filing in but they at least had the benefit of having the live projectionist doing his thing so it kept people interested a least a little.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the amusing thing to me about the 2008 tour was that Trent stopped the show in the middle and played stuff from Ghosts for an entire hour before getting the band back on, and that hour of Ghosts stuff got a lot more angry crowd assholes than even Deerhunter had done.

but man it was only $40 and it was super easy to get right in front of the stage, Trent even pointed at and sang at/with me on "Last" which was :swoon:

gently caress waiting 6 hours in line

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

the amusing thing to me about the 2008 tour was that Trent stopped the show in the middle and played stuff from Ghosts for an entire hour before getting the band back on, and that hour of Ghosts stuff got a lot more angry crowd assholes than even Deerhunter had done.

but man it was only $40 and it was super easy to get right in front of the stage, Trent even pointed at and sang at/with me on "Last" which was :swoon:

gently caress waiting 6 hours in line

How long did you wait outside the venue before the show to be on the guard rail up front?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wazzit posted:

TLDR; 6 1/2 hours in line, overall it was an interesting experience, would never do again, can't loving wait till December.
That's a long time to wait in line for a loving concert ticket :negative:

Thanks for sharing your story and allowing me to live vicariously through you, though!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

obeyasia posted:

How long did you wait outside the venue before the show to be on the guard rail up front?

I didn't wait at all. We got there around 7, doors were at 8, there was a pretty long line but we all had our tickets already so it didn't take more than 30 minutes to get in (doors opened early)

I also left to get beers and came back to the front of the stage several times. It just wasn't that big of a crowd, there was a lot of empty space near the doors and sides of the venue. It was the Thompson Boling Arena in Knoxville, for reference.

edit: Also there wasn't a guard rail, the crowd went right up to the stage

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

Lol both at this whole situation and at music journalists grabbing news from forum posts and whatever else they can get their hands on.

That's all journalists now actually

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Sir Lemming posted:

Well, enjoy the new EP everybody

Most news articles are half the "journalist" embedding random tweets from someone named Chowder_Boy23

We need a meteor any day now.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 22, 2018

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

spookygonk posted:

Worst support? I saw Atari Teenage riot support NiN in London, but as they were wrecked from touring, we got a set of deafening noise and screaming that hosed a lot of people off and up.

https://atariteenageriot.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-brixton-academy-1999-remastered

poo poo, 1999?

Also caught the NINJA tour, but as I only knew Been Caught Stealing I thought Jane's Addiction was mostly pompous wank.

edit But we got two surprise songs with Gary Newman which more than made up for it.

http://www.jdale.net/ninja-london-o2-july-2009/

When I saw NIN on the Wave Goodbye Tour (:rolleyes:) in 2009, he had Peter Murphy open for them. Then Peter Murphy came on for three songs towards the end of NIN's set, the first of which was Reptile, which he absolutely ruined. The air was totally taken out of the place. I like Peter Murphy and all but he should not be singing lead vocals for Reptile as if it's a Bauhaus song.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

precision posted:

I didn't wait at all. We got there around 7, doors were at 8, there was a pretty long line but we all had our tickets already so it didn't take more than 30 minutes to get in (doors opened early)

I also left to get beers and came back to the front of the stage several times. It just wasn't that big of a crowd, there was a lot of empty space near the doors and sides of the venue. It was the Thompson Boling Arena in Knoxville, for reference.

edit: Also there wasn't a guard rail, the crowd went right up to the stage

Same experience, except for the Downward Spiral tour. He bounced a half full water bottle off my (and a couple others) head while I was working my way up front.

Nothing like NIN in a smaller venue.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I'm debating about going to a Chicago show, but I sort of want to see what the shows entail before plunking down hundreds of dollars for a single ticket. I really don't want to hear the same dozen songs with a few new ones sprinkled in. Every time he says he's going to do something new and different, we still hear the same staples on the set lists. I really don't need to hear HLAH and Hurt close out a show yet again. Same for Wish, Terrible Lie, The Hand That Feeds, Only, etc. His audience these days isn't kids that just want to hear the hits; they're older and have heard all these already. We want deep cuts!

Anyone remember that interview with Trent from way back where he said that he doesn't want to be 50 years old and singing HLAH? Lol, we'll see if he changed his mind.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Leon Einstein posted:

I'm debating about going to a Chicago show, but I sort of want to see what the shows entail before plunking down hundreds of dollars for a single ticket. I really don't want to hear the same dozen songs with a few new ones sprinkled in. Every time he says he's going to do something new and different, we still hear the same staples on the set lists. I really don't need to hear HLAH and Hurt close out a show yet again. Same for Wish, Terrible Lie, The Hand That Feeds, Only, etc. His audience these days isn't kids that just want to hear the hits; they're older and have heard all these already. We want deep cuts!

Anyone remember that interview with Trent from way back where he said that he doesn't want to be 50 years old and singing HLAH? Lol, we'll see if he changed his mind.

Pretty much this. I'm so tired of his setlists. Play the staples, sprinkle in some new ones, and even keep the same setlist flow. I'm glad I got to see all the classics once. But I've seen NIN 5 or so times now and I never need to hear Terrible lie again live.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've seen NIN 8 times and yeah I'm sick of certain songs but assuming that's the case for everyone in the audience is weird. Like just above we had people talking about the audience getting restless when he played Ghosts stuff. A good chunk of people are absolutely there to see him play the hits. There are also a good amount of people there that would like him to play anything but ti's also their first time and they've never had their rear end kicked by how amazing most of their hits are live.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Asnorban posted:

Play the staples, sprinkle in some new ones, and even keep the same setlist flow. I'm glad I got to see all the classics once. But I've seen NIN 5 or so times now and I never need to hear Terrible lie again live.

The problem is what do you consider a staple? I mean you say you don't need to hear Terrible Lie again, but someone else might say they would rather hear it than Head Like a Hole or Closer. Not that I disagree, but just saying to "play the staples" isn't going far enough because there are 12 songs he's played at least half of his concerts ever. And if you take the top five, well...Terrible Lie is in there. Along with two tracks from *totally just an EP* Broken, Wish and Gave Up of course.

Since he's so into telling people to gently caress off if they don't like what he's doing, I wish he'd be more like Radiohead, where you really have no idea what the gently caress he's going to play any given night.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 22, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If Trent didn't care about appeasing his audience, I doubt he would have brought back NIN in the first place.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Nail Rat posted:

The problem is what do you consider a staple? I mean you say you don't need to hear Terrible Lie again, but someone else might say they would rather hear it than Head Like a Hole or Closer. Not that I disagree, but just saying to "play the staples" isn't going far enough because there are 12 songs he's played at least half of his concerts ever.

Since he's so into telling people to gently caress off if they don't like what he's doing, I wish he'd be more like Radiohead, where you really have no idea what the gently caress he's going to play any given night.
Those Wave Goodbye shows had some good stuff sprinkled in.

I think the staples are the songs he's been playing for 25 years at every show. He finally retired Closer and Down In It after playing them at every show. I actually wish he'd bring back DII though.

Also, I went to a NIN concert with you during the With Teeth tour in Chicago. :)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

I think the staples are the songs he's been playing for 25 years at every show. He finally retired Closer and Down In It after playing them at every show. I actually wish he'd bring back DII though.

Also, I went to a NIN concert with you during the With Teeth tour in Chicago. :)

He played Closer on the tour he did with Soundgarden so he brought that back.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Leon Einstein posted:

I think it was Wave Goodbye actually (were you the dude I sold a ticket to or the dude I bought a ticket from?), the two days at Aragon; I was actually not living in Chicago during WT. Those were great shows because he played so many different ones over the two days. That's how it should always be!

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 22, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It looks like the online tickets are going on sale thursday on ticketmaster, 10am local time.

Good luck (I will be shocked if anyone here gets something).

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

glam rock hamhock posted:

If Trent didn't care about appeasing his audience, I doubt he would have brought back NIN in the first place.

Trent brought back NIN to appease his ego and his pocketbook, not us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
^^
I think he just realized he had no reason to kill the golden goose.

Nail Rat posted:

I think it was Wave Goodbye actually (were you the dude I sold a ticket to or the dude I bought a ticket from?), the two days at Aragon; I was actually not living in Chicago during WT. Those were great shows because he played so many different ones over the two days. That's how it should always be!
I think it was at the Congress. You sold me the ticket. I thought it was around With Teeth, but I've seen a lot of NIN shows, so I can't be certain. I think it was the show where everything got hosed up after like 4 songs, and they literally restarted with a different setlist.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 22, 2018