Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZuFCnwXCWU

Fire traps seem pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hey gently caress you trap nodes you're taking up the cast speed nodes I wanted.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I'm tempted to try a Fireball build out as a starter build with that Combustion support that's replacing Chance to Ignite. I could go totems, or I could go self-cast with the option to then have Vaal Fireball ready all the time too.

Decisions. :sweatdrop:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gonna be interesting to see how this pans out

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/8kx39s/tencent_has_invested_in_grinding_gear_games/

J
Jun 10, 2001

Hoping that any lovely tencent influenced changes stay quarantined to the chinese version and GGG can continue doing their thing with the non-chinese versions.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Well color me worried.

J posted:

Hoping that any lovely tencent influenced changes stay quarantined to the chinese version and GGG can continue doing their thing with the non-chinese versions.

:agreed:

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

So how long out are we from tencent owning all videogames, 10 years? 15?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That sure is a burning swastika.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Yikes

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

congrats chris on your new fleet of ferrarris

rip poe

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Well poo poo, time for everyone to go play Diablo 3fahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha that's right, there's basically no competition for PoE.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

welp. the day i stop spending money on poe is here i guess

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

please remember to buy the $480 supporter pack this league. the small indie game studio needs your help to stay in the black

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only difference this is gonna have in the game is that they'll make less skull-based MTXs.

I actually wish Tencent had more to do with the games they own because then maybe PUBG would have the features that Tencent's mobile port has.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Can someone explain for those of us who never go on reddit?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

George posted:

Can someone explain for those of us who never go on reddit?

GGG sold a majority share of the company to TenCent, the Chinese colossus of a company.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ggg doesnt own their game anymore

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

instead of praying to chris for mirrors its this guy now

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

J posted:

what are some examples of lovely tencent influenced changes that have happened to other games bought by tencent?

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

what are some examples of lovely tencent influenced changes that have happened to other games bought by tencent?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ndub posted:

please remember to buy the $480 supporter pack this league. the small indie game studio needs your help to stay in the black

itt we pretend that most people bought the packs out of charity and not because they love internet dress-up :cripes:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yes, but i also felt okay about spending way more than i otherwise would on f2p cosmetics because i liked ggg

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Just lol if anyone was buying supporter packs as supporter packs and not as faux-wealth status symbols, what exactly makes people think GGG is a struggling indie company? Take one look at any town instance and tell me they're not making a loving killing on MTX.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Awesome! posted:

yes, but i also felt okay about spending way more than i otherwise would on f2p cosmetics because i liked ggg

You can still support GGG, developers of the most actively updated free game on God's green Earth, who still are going to be dependent on a stable game revenue not to suffer corporate intervention since TC's whole shtick is not touch on a working formula and leave international game clients alone.

Unless you derive some wicked self-serving pleasure in thinking you were one of the big whales entirely responsible for GGG being able to exist, in which case I hope we no longer have to deal with weeaboo's swords.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 21, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

itt we pretend that most people bought the packs out of charity and not because they love internet dress-up :cripes:

let's pretend most people bought the packs for internet-dress up and not because they want to lord forum titles over other people :cripes:

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

i went poking around the chinese website (with my dismal chinese literacy) and i didn't find this but i did find resurrection tokens (resurrect without losing xp!) and ?? i think for-pay talent tree resets??

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the games Tencent buys, it's largely to add pay-to-win stuff to the chinese version because that's huuuge over in china, but they leave the western version alone and just rake in the money from chinese whales?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the games Tencent buys, it's largely to add pay-to-win stuff to the chinese version because that's huuuge over in china, but they leave the western version alone and just rake in the money from chinese whales?

Yeah that's why others and I are trying to explain that most likely nothing will change. Tencent seldom touches on the international business model and most pay-to-win stuff stays in China/South Korea.

Almost every game, Asian or not, TC-bought or not, that gets distributed in Asia has a bunch of P2W elements in Asia.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Elentor posted:

You can still support GGG, developers of the most actively updated free game on God's green Earth, who still are going to be dependent on a stable game revenue not to suffer corporate intervention since TC's whole shtick is not touch on a working formula and leave international game clients alone.

Unless you derive some wicked self-serving pleasure in thinking you were one of the big whales entirely responsible for GGG being able to exist, in which case I hope we no longer have to deal with weeaboo's swords.

ive given them less than 1k so i dont hold any notions of being a whale.

i trusted that poe would remain a game i wanted to play for years because chris believed in his core vision. chris is no longer in control so i dont have that trust anymore.

tencent might never interfere with the game in any way but the possibility is there and will always be hanging over the game.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

quote:

Will Path of Exile become Pay to Win?

No. We will not make any changes to its monetisation on our international servers.

Hint: Chinese-only servers are not "international" servers.

So basically Tencent gave GGG a dumptruck full of money to let them P2W all the Chinese, on the condition that they leave the rest of it alone.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that was written by chris who no longer controls what happens with the game.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! posted:

Yeah, I understand that, but Tencent isn't dumb enough to ever antagonize the pre-existing fanbase. There's more than enough money in it for them to stick to the Chinese market forever and never screw with the rest.

Sure, on paper Tencent can always pull rank, but Chris says he's still involved and I'd believe it. He seems like he would do this all for free if he could.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Good for them for cashing out and getting out of a poo poo industry

games undoubtedly going to go to poo poo but eh

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

tencent seems to have this policy by now of not loving with whatever made their purchases good. at worst, i'd expect to maybe see more lootboxes but they've already been propagating those in increased fashion regardless, so that's not really a radical development.

yeah sure it's possible tencent will suddenly decide to hate money and make a 180 on a long-standing policy but insofar as I'm aware they're kept sated by the fact they can just exploit the hell out of the china market instead and just let the US side do whatever to keep providing them with a good base to do so with.

like sure, there's the possibility, but is it really worth getting all up and bothered for what is ultimately, due to historical precedent, a very slim chance? i guess i might be worried if this news came with chris dropping out, but since he hasn't, i think it's fair to give the studio the extreme benefit of doubt they've accumulated over the years over what is already a really unlikely possibility to begin with.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Is there any actual evidence of Tencent ruining the non-Chinese versions of games they've acquired? I asked my friend who has played LoL since it came out and he said the game (generally) only got more polished and had more direction after the acquisition.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Awesome! posted:

chris is no longer in control so i dont have that trust anymore.

Awesome! posted:

You're being childish. TC built a lot of goodwill over not loving up with the international market, and they're not gonna ruin that free pass for buying with no resistance every company ever over Path of fraking Exile.

By the same metric you can't ever listen to anyone other to the major shareholder of the company that owns any other company because literally everyone else is not in control. Did a Game Artist say something? Useless because he's not in control. Did a game designer say they want to do x? Garbage, he answers to his capitalist overlords.

I'd be more worried about Chris cashing out and retiring now and the game falling into someone else's hands.

If you're worried about the "hanging possibility" of something happening, there was more precedent for a company like GGG to sell the game to an invasive owner in the past than there is precedent of TC loving up the western market, so if you're gonna feel anxious about hypothetical scenarios you should be more relieved that GGG wasn't bought by _insert a number of other intrusive publishers with a track record of cancelling projects, disbanding companies and limiting game design decisions here_.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 21, 2018

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

space marine todd posted:

Is there any actual evidence of Tencent ruining the non-Chinese versions of games they've acquired? I asked my friend who has played LoL since it came out and he said the game (generally) only got more polished and had more direction after the acquisition.

Don't they have an owning share of Epic and, by extension, Fortnite? Game seems fine to me, pay2win-wise.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can say im being childish all you want but at the end of the day its my money and if i no longer feel good about giving it to ggg i wont do it anymore.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

people out here really thinking chris wilson's goal (making money, through developing a complex ARPG) is meaningfully different from tencent's goal (making money, through owning an ARPG)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Awesome! posted:

you can say im being childish all you want but at the end of the day its my money and if i no longer feel good about giving it to ggg i wont do it anymore.

you can do whatever you want but youre just being the videogame version of