Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Takoluka posted:

who the hell was joe's girlfriend??????

She obviously doesnt exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Takoluka posted:

who the hell was joe's girlfriend??????

Alphamon

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I just watched all of Tri over the weekend. I wasn't expecting much, as I'd heard about Tri's reputation. Just show me the megas that I wanted to see 20 years ago, let the characters have fun with each other and provide better closure than 02 did. That's all I wanted.

Boy oh boy, I bet there is an evil genie cackling madly at me right now. I felt genuinely trolled at the end of Future when Not Gennai went "teehee should I bring back diabolomon or demon next???", the movies couldn't decide whether they wanted to be about growing up and accepting loss or not and everyone singing Butter-fly over the bleakass ending was the most tone-deaf thing I've watched in months.

I don't think Digimon Quattro could possibly be worse than Tri but I'm expecting them to surprise me. At least we got the Mimi x Meimei BFFs show, I guess. :sigh:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I would honestly prefer that Quatro be a new series rather than another set of movies. Maybe even have it be an Adventure style show with a new story and cast instead of a continuation of a previous season (I doubt it though).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know what I'd like

And I'm sure plenty would disagree with me

But I'd love for them to just DBZKai Adventure, only with completely new animation the whole way through. Cut down on the filler, combine stuff, add in the plot elements that were only thought of later on- remake Adventure with the budget and animation of Tri. You could easily retell the story of Adventure in six movies- first movie is all about the Devimon arc, second movie is Etemon, third movie is everyone is split apart and struggling to reunite while Myotismon acts in the distance. Fourth movie is Mytoismon across the Digital World. Fifth movie is Myotismon in the human world, maybe with the Dark Masters/Apocalymon pulling his strings. Sixth movie is the Dark Masters and Apocalymon.

That way you have a coherent, sturdy skeleton to build from. Then you could do one for 02 and fix some of its myriad of issues.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Honestly, doing compilation movies is a plausible event. They probably wouldn't be done until 2025 or so at the current speed, but it's possible.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

You know what I'd like

And I'm sure plenty would disagree with me

But I'd love for them to just DBZKai Adventure, only with completely new animation the whole way through.

That leads to Sailor Moon Crystal. You do not want Sailor Moon Crystal.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Larryb posted:

I would honestly prefer that Quatro be a new series rather than another set of movies. Maybe even have it be an Adventure style show with a new story and cast instead of a continuation of a previous season (I doubt it though).

Tri was originally announced as a series before being turned into theatrical films. And since turned out to be a success at the box office I doubt they will be eager to change the format.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Tri was originally announced as a series before being turned into theatrical films. And since turned out to be a success at the box office I doubt they will be eager to change the format.

That's fair, though it makes me wonder if there's going to BE another series after Appmon now or if they'll just stick to movies from here on.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What the franchise needs to do is just plain old move on from Adventure. I'm Adventured out. Focus on the 02 kids, that's fine, but for half a decade now the franchise has been treating Adventure like it's the only thing that matters. I'm seriously over the original 8. Give them a rest.

There's other legacy content that they could derive from that deserves reimagining or updating, like V-Tamer. Or, you know, failing that, put the energy into making an OVA project that's all new. Just. Yeah. No retellings. No sequels about the original kids. Just do something that's at least mildly fresh instead of spinning wheels yet again.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sadly that's not ever going to happen.

Adventure is what made Digimon what it is today, so we're going to be stuck with them being important for a long time to come.

It's taken this long for G1 to finally start to lose its grip on the Transformers franchise and that's been milked for far, far longer.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

G1 is more prominent than ever. They're making the new cartoon resemble "familiar designs" so parents and kids can "enjoy the new show equally."

Nevermind that the adults with kids who would be the target audience for a new TF cartoon would have grown up with nearly any TF cartoon but G1.

At the very least, if they're gonna keep on with Adventure stuff, they don't need to just rehash the same story with a remake.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I don't know about y'all, but I'm for anything which gives Mimi more screen time. :swoon: One thing I can't fault Tri for is that it made me realize how much I actually love her now that I'm not a teenage boy who hates everything "girly" on instinct.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:same:

I liked Mimi in the original, especially when they actually let her do cool things instead of shriek a lot and get hit on by Numemon, but she and Palmon are just so good when they get screentime in Tri.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I think that for all the totally valid complaints about Tri, it did a decent job at portraying most of the kids as teenage versions of themselves. Mimi especially stood out to me as being more likeable, too.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

So do you think it's within the realm of possibility that the current Tri ending was something of a "Bad End" and that there will be a new movie where they find a way to not do the thing they did? I mean, I think the fact that we ended on "Meh, I guess things are just kinda whatever, and also, we left a lady with guns in the darkness like she's Aqua from Kingdom Hearts" is just unsatisfying for everyone.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I think that for all the totally valid complaints about Tri, it did a decent job at portraying most of the kids as teenage versions of themselves. Mimi especially stood out to me as being more likeable, too.

Up until I started having problems with the characterization and how they used the characters (movie 4, natch) I tended to say that Tri's greatest strength was its characterization. I think they really did get the cast and they were doing good things with them. Mimi was great, Jyou's character arc in movie 2 was great, Takeru made a bad choice that was totally in character in movie 3, and I think what they did with Taichi and Yamato (swapping viewpoints while actually keeping them the same) was actually really clever. It really is a pity that character writing became so much less important as time went on.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Takoluka posted:

So do you think it's within the realm of possibility that the current Tri ending was something of a "Bad End" and that there will be a new movie where they find a way to not do the thing they did? I mean, I think the fact that we ended on "Meh, I guess things are just kinda whatever, and also, we left a lady with guns in the darkness like she's Aqua from Kingdom Hearts" is just unsatisfying for everyone.

I doubt it. I can't imagine that, whatever comes next will likely just focus on closing the plot threads that were deliberately left open such as fake-Gennai.

Omnicrom posted:

Up until I started having problems with the characterization and how they used the characters (movie 4, natch) I tended to say that Tri's greatest strength was its characterization. I think they really did get the cast and they were doing good things with them. Mimi was great, Jyou's character arc in movie 2 was great, Takeru made a bad choice that was totally in character in movie 3, and I think what they did with Taichi and Yamato (swapping viewpoints while actually keeping them the same) was actually really clever. It really is a pity that character writing became so much less important as time went on.

I'd say by the final movie the characterization was very good again, with moments like Yamato doubting in his forced leadership role and keeping hope Taichi would be back, and Koshiro rejecting the Real World reboot hard because he was the only one that could immediately realize the kind of damage it'd cause.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/bandai_digimon/status/997311662494400513

Heh

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/aek_digi/status/997711424771178496

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd

Rather have anime accurate Angemon and Devimon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So Omegamon Merciful Mode's attack isn't Grey Sword, it's something that translates to "Fear and Trembling Katana"

It's written in Japanese as "Gu Rei Tou"

which is how the English word "great" is pronounced in Japanese

Greymon's name derived from "Great"

This is like, some next level word play.

quote:

I'd

Rather have anime accurate Angemon and Devimon

The point of these figures is to replicate the appearance of the original profile art.

It's not like there's a lack of official angemon figurines.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, there is though

The most we have is a multi hundred dollar statue, the old Digivolving figure that isn't great, and I think a super limited action figure that is also rear end ages old.

I was kind of hoping, since we got the updated Digivolving Figure of Angewmon already, we would have gotten Angemon by now

And I'm fairly certain Devimon has no figures of himself hanging around

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Angemon and Takeru PVC figure goes for like 20 dollars on ebay. And they already announced a Super Evolution figure for Patamon at the same time they did Guilmon and Tentomon.

These are gacha-style blind box figures. They're meant to commemorate the original v-pets. And sadly, Devimon isn't going to get many figures because he's not a protagonist.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hopefully these do well so we get at minimum all of the classic V-Pet Digimon, maybe even further

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

drrockso20 posted:

Hopefully these do well so we get at minimum all of the classic V-Pet Digimon, maybe even further

This is the third series actually.

Also, we have official pics of Erismon's evolutions

Filmon and Stelfilmon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so apparently the thing that made Greymon easier to raise in the original v-pet than Tyrannomon was a programming error that switched their raising requirements

the entire franchise has been shaped around a different Digimon because of a mistake

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

So Omegamon Merciful Mode's attack isn't Grey Sword, it's something that translates to "Fear and Trembling Katana"

It's written in Japanese as "Gu Rei Tou"

which is how the English word "great" is pronounced in Japanese

Greymon's name derived from "Great"

This is like, some next level word play..

I think you’re over thinking it a tad. It’s a play on Grey Sword (Gurei(grey) Tou(sword)). To and tou sound similar but there’s enough of a difference that it wouldn’t be used like that in a Wacky Anime Kanji Pun. High tier but not next level.

Yes I realize this is pedantic, no I have absolutely nothing better to do right now

Nodosaur posted:

so apparently the thing that made Greymon easier to raise in the original v-pet than Tyrannomon was a programming error that switched their raising requirements

the entire franchise has been shaped around a different Digimon because of a mistake

Wait what
My childhood is a loving lie

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Nodosaur posted:

Got a source? Because holy poo poo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Yes I realize this is pedantic, no I have absolutely nothing better to do right now
It does also double down on the Grey Sword / great sword pun, though.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Nodosaur posted:

Mmmm I don't know how I feel about this information.

On the one hand MasterTyrannomon and Samudramon are really lovely evolutions.

On the other hand we missed on MetalTyrannomon who thens evolve to the metal as gently caress Machinedramon or not-Metal-Gear-Rex RustTyrannomon

Apokarimon would have shitted bricks had Tai came charging riding this.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 21, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why are you including Gaioumon in all that?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Nodosaur posted:

why are you including Gaioumon in all that?

2 of the 5 different Digimon wikis say that he digivolves from MasterTyrannomon and I didn't bother to check the other 3 cause gently caress every digimon can digivolve into any other digimon when it's convenient for the game

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's a variant of Wargreymon-X.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m just saying, it’s more of a Greymon than a Tyrannomon.

Tyrannomon’s best Ultimate option is DinoRexmon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nodosaur posted:

I’m just saying, it’s more of a Greymon than a Tyrannomon.

Tyrannomon’s best Ultimate option is DinoRexmon.

I buy DinoRexmon as an appropriate evolution for Master Tyranomon (meanwhile Metal Tyranomon totally becomes Rust Tyranomon), but every time I see it I have to keep reminding myself that it's actually an Ultimate. It just looks like an Adult level digimon to me, and it would probably take more words than it's worth devoted to purely subjective aesthetic sense for me to try and dredge up why that is.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Omnicrom posted:

I buy DinoRexmon as an appropriate evolution for Master Tyranomon (meanwhile Metal Tyranomon totally becomes Rust Tyranomon), but every time I see it I have to keep reminding myself that it's actually an Ultimate. It just looks like an Adult level digimon to me, and it would probably take more words than it's worth devoted to purely subjective aesthetic sense for me to try and dredge up why that is.

not enough armor/robot bits

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well it is a recolor of Tyrannomon with scars and a longer tail, so.

That being said, Panjyamon is able to get away with it, so MasterT works just fine in my opinion.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nodosaur posted:

Well it is a recolor of Tyrannomon with scars and a longer tail, so.

That being said, Panjyamon is able to get away with it, so MasterT works just fine in my opinion.

:ohdear: I was actually Talking about DinoRexmon not looking like an Ultimate. I have no issues seeing Master Tyranomon as an evolution to regular Tyranomon.

Also while going hunting for smilies I gotta ask, why is :palmon: an emoticon on this forum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I feel like tyrannomon would have gotten completely different evolutions (or at least like metal greymon they'd be different colored) if he was ever a protag digimon