Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

lofi posted:

This bugs me about how people run FAE. The reason not to use flashy is if you don't want everyone in the village watching and applauding. I know you were joking, but it does get under my skin. Gotta emphasise that doing it with Flashy is flashy.

(typo invented 'fleshy' as an approach, which is a FAE varient I want nothing to do with)

In my experience running FAE a fair deal, you have to be willing as a GM to say "That doesn't sound like you're using [approach X], that sounds like [approach Y] or [approach Z]." and at least make them justify their approach usage in the narrative.

Because otherwise you get exactly what I described more often than not. Mind, people just leveraging their strongest stat can be good, because it reaffirms the character they built and how they address problems, but when it's lazily applied, it quickly gets boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really don't get what they were trying to get at with Age of Sigmar besides sticking their Space Marines boner where it doesn't belong and wanting to marginalise everything that isn't 40k

They hosed up their IP trademarks so badly in the Chapterhouse lawsuit that they were scared that all their generic races were going to be considered to be fully generic. It's why the Imperial Guard is now officially the Astra Militarum and the Space Marines are officially the Adeptus Astartes. For Fantasy they had a bigger problem and panicked and blew up the setting so they could replace their Elves with Aelves, their Dwarves with Fyreslayers, etc.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

In my experience running FAE a fair deal, you have to be willing as a GM to say "That doesn't sound like you're using [approach X], that sounds like [approach Y] or [approach Z]." and at least make them justify their approach usage in the narrative.

Because otherwise you get exactly what I described more often than not. Mind, people just leveraging their strongest stat can be good, because it reaffirms the character they built and how they address problems, but when it's lazily applied, it quickly gets boring.

I find it's more of an issue when people try and run supers games with FAE. It's easy enough to tell someone they can't use Quick for everything, except when they're playing The Flash. The ability to push an approach to superhuman levels really causes the 'one-character, one-approach' style to dominate.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I've seen it less when using some of the variant approaches. Like Nitrate City's approach-as-genre stuff tends to discourage it a little because sometimes you don't wanna do everything as a horror movie.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Guy Goodbody posted:

Things have changed in three years. The current starter set has this guy in it

I don't actually play the game, so I can't speak to it's quality as a game. But the models are cool, they're improving the fluff, and it's significantly more popular than Warhammer Fantasy was. it's not the same as it was at launch, when eveybody thought that fuckin' Mantic was gonna take over and be the big new miniatures company. lol

I think its hard to overstate how stupid and living in his own bubble the previous CEO was. He had convinced himself that GW customers only bought armies to put on their shelves and admire, and the AoS rollout was shat out based on that. Why bother writing much of a setting, or providing much background for your new flagship army, or bother with rules? In kirby's "we don't do market research" world, none of that (or for that matter, not pissing on your existing customer base) was necessary.

I can't speak to everywhere of course, but I know in the two AoS clubs around my city, you won't find anyone who defends the game at launch, and you'll only find a handful that were even willing to play it before 6 months to a year ago. Finally getting points and matched play helped, but so did, yanno, actually putting out enough setting material in novels and battletomes for people to give a poo poo about the world. Its still very much a work in progress. The announcement of second edition has emphasized how much setting info they're going to put out, and shadespire and warhammer quest have been focusing on providing more visibility on the goings on in cities and among "regular people". Will it ever replace the old setting? Eh, dunno, but at least its now actually trying to do something other than be the least effort possible to promote buying more models.

Desiden fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 21, 2018

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

If AoS can be good maybe there's hope for Battletech

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

let's not kid oursaelves

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Xarbala posted:

let's not kid oursaelves

Um, the videogame is good, and Liao for Life. :colbert:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah HBS' game is very good and it's as close to a Battletech 2nd Edition we're ever going to get.

It's strange living in a world where the AC/5 isn't a pile of hot garbage

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Xarbala posted:

Yeah HBS' game is very good and it's as close to a Battletech 2nd Edition we're ever going to get.

Is it still having optimization struggles or did they patch those out? My entertainment budget's spoken for at the moment but a lot of people have said it's fun but kinda chugs, so I figured I'd wait a bit anyhow.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Is it still having optimization struggles or did they patch those out? My entertainment budget's spoken for at the moment but a lot of people have said it's fun but kinda chugs, so I figured I'd wait a bit anyhow.

Probably couldn't hurt to wait for another patch or two if you're on the fence.

Works fine for me and you can mod out a fair bit of the dead air during combat animations but load times are a doozy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Xarbala posted:

420 swap AC/5 for Large Laser + Heat sinks + Armor erry day.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mllaneza posted:

420 swap AC/5 for Large Laser + Heat sinks + Armor erry day.

Imagine a world where AC/5s actually dealt 9 damage, Large Lasers still dealt 8 damage but generated 10 heat (and PPCs generated 13!), Laser damage wasn't counted towards the 20-point "Piloting Roll or Fall Over" knockdown damage threshold, and Minimum Ranges can be alleviated or eliminated altogether based on a pilot's skills.

Large Lasers are really bad in HBS Battletech while AC/5s are a solid and dependable workhorse gun. Also Shadow Hawks are some of the best mediums in the game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

100% literally the way the most annoying player among my regulars plays any game and she has explicitly stated she considers it the default way.

Sometimes it results in unexpectedly cool stuff like intimidating some spirits (instead of futzing around with arcana or religion skills). Most of the time she yells at locks to open or there will be trouble and gets angry when that alerts the orcs in the next room.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I might have accidentally roped myself into running a solo Godbound game. Does anyone have any good advice for kind of a newbie GM?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

NachtSieger posted:

I might have accidentally roped myself into running a solo Godbound game. Does anyone have any good advice for kind of a newbie GM?

Don´t overthink it, just go with the flow of the story, narrative is more important than rules, if an action is awesome but the rules say no "eff the rules" and remember to cheer for the person you´re gm´ing for. Also talk to that person about expectations and wants for the game. When you know what s/he is looking for, it becomes much easier to meet and exceed expectations .

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

NachtSieger posted:

Honestly engage direct combat as little as possible, and let you players know you’ll be doing that. I quickly found that trying to engage the weird OSR combat was boring and encouraged players to take boring powers.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

NachtSieger posted:

Solo, I don't have much experience with.

Godbound, though, I do, at least a bit. I know you're an experienced GM and have probably run games forever and probably (like me) tend to skip through the "Running the Game" bits, but seriously, I recommend reading through Crawford's advice on running a Godbound game. The GMing section has quite a lot more rules elements than the player-facing stuff does, and knowing how to work with Influence, Dominion, Factions, etc. is a necessity.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Mr.Misfit posted:

Don´t overthink it, just go with the flow of the story, narrative is more important than rules, if an action is awesome but the rules say no "eff the rules" and remember to cheer for the person you´re gm´ing for. Also talk to that person about expectations and wants for the game. When you know what s/he is looking for, it becomes much easier to meet and exceed expectations .

Counterpoint: mechanics exist for a reason, and you should not ignore them. Houserule them, yes, but only once you understand the system well enough to say why the rule isn't working for your table.

The times you "ignore the rules" are, most of the time and in most games, going to be when you choose not to engage the mechanics at all because the stakes of the situation are too trivial to bother. In a game like Godbound, granted, that'll happen more often than elsewhere.

NachtSieger, you've taken on quite a challenge. One-on-one gaming is particularly intense, because neither side has much room to sit back and process what's going on. In a normal game of 3-5 people, there's always periods when the players are interacting with each other when the GM can think about their next move; likewise for an individual player, when the GM is focusing on someone else for a bit. In one-on-one play, both participants need to be "on" at all times, and it's hard. There's a lot of advice a newbie GM should get, but here's a few to highlight for 1:1 play:
  • Keep sessions short, especially to start: 2-3 hours, or a bit longer with a decent break in the middle. As you both get used to the intensity of play, you can increase the time.
  • Communication is even more vital than in a normal game. Make a habit of asking your player what their intent is behind an action, so that you know what's really at stake.
  • Look to their character sheet for "flags": if they've mechanized it by devoting points to it or otherwise putting it on their sheet, they want to interact with the fiction in that way. Find opportunities in your prep and improv to let them do the thing(s) they're good at, and turn the screws on their weaknesses.
  • Build up a stock of recurring characters: friends, family, dependents, rivals. Connect your player's character to the life of the world in ways they can't easily extricate themselves from. You'll want to do this in most games, but in 1:1, a robust cast can enormously reduce your prep time, and make the extensive improv you'll be doing easier.

Finally, the Tale of Si Juk is a one-on-one game of Burning Wheel between the game's author and one of his long-time players. It's dated, but still a good example of actual play, the shape of which is comprehensible even if you don't know the system. There's several one-on-one games between those two in that forum, and they're all worth reading.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I'm probably late to the party since it has been six hours since this advertisement's release and GBS already has a thread about it.

Anywhoo, Warhammer Adventures!

https://warhammeradventures.com/

quote:

WHAT IS WARHAMMER ADVENTURES?
Warhammer Adventures is a series of action-packed stories about brave heroes battling monstrous enemies and winning great victories against impossible odds in the far future universe of Warhammer 40,000 and the fantasy realms of Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

Warhammer Adventures stories are perfect for bookworms aged 8-12 who want to read about heroes, aliens and monsters. They’ll be in shops and online later in 2019 – so keep your eyes open for them!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmfao. ahhahhahahahhahahaha

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Does the child techpriest have a baby servo-skull i need to know that

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

PG-13 Daemonculaba.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm probably late to the party since it has been six hours since this advertisement's release and GBS already has a thread about it.

I love this. That art's great. It's definitely a weird shift from what Warhammer usually is, but warhammer hasn't changed in like 30 years and I like this change a lot.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
next up: muppet babies but they're also space marines

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t really follow GW. Why is a kids game bad? More kids’ games with high production values sounds great to me, as a buyer of kids’ games.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t really follow GW. Why is a kids game bad? More kids’ games with high production values sounds great to me, as a buyer of kids’ games.

Warhammer 40K is ridiculously over the top grimdark and they're somehow going to adapt it into a children's book series.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Helical Nightmares posted:

This rules. Especially if it plays a bit with being self-aware of the disparity between the audience and the material.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jimmeeee posted:

Warhammer 40K is ridiculously over the top grimdark and they're somehow going to adapt it into a children's book series.

OK? Why don’t people want them to do that?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I could see AoS being successfully marketed for kids but 40k is too much

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the idea of children even existing in 40k is a depressing thought

like, obviously they do but you wanna keep them off-screen at all times

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Subjunctive posted:

OK? Why don’t people want them to do that?

Because no one in this thread ever followed animorphs and thus thinks 40K is too grim and heavy for children when in fact it is a happy song and dance by comparison.

I mean, not that I really trust GW to get it right, but I mean, YA lit has included "Child gets dragged into war and bad things happen" as a thing since basically forever, so it's not like the war being in space with ridiculous baroque cathedral ships would change much.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 21, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

its mostly because warhammer sucks

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Worldshatter posted:

40k is for kids in the first place

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

the idea of children even existing in 40k is a depressing thought

like, obviously they do but you wanna keep them off-screen at all times

Rumor has it (4chan)

quote:

1. Yes it is canon. This isn’t some alternate universe, there are already pipelined call outs to these kids and their story in the the main 40k fiction.

2. There are CAD models of these kids designed, the current prognosis seems to be that they will be “buff” characters to squads, they won’t be able to fight directly and will have some macguffin shields that make them unkillable.

:shrug:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh thank god, the MG market needs more sci-fi action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Because no one in this thread ever followed animorphs and thus thinks 40K is too grim and heavy for children when in fact it is a happy song and dance by comparison.

I mean, not that I really trust GW to get it right, but I mean, YA lit has included "Child gets dragged into war and bad things happen" as a thing since basically forever, so it's not like the war being in space with ridiculous baroque cathedral ships would change much.

I forget, but didn't Animorphs have a person get turned into a fly and eaten and they turn someone into a rat and just left him that way for the rest of his life so that he wouldn't give away their secret?