Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It'd be written "okay dokey" but Arnold would pronounce it "octy docty".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ghostlight posted:

It'd be written "okay dokey" but Arnold would pronounce it "octy docty".
It all makes sense now.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I read the scriptment for the Cameron film about a decade ago and I remember really liking it, with some reservations. It really, REALLY captures "with great power comes great responsibility" beyond just the whole Uncle Ben stuff and has Peter being courted (and really almost joining) the main villain, a quasi-Electro guy.

Scrolling through it just now, I really like what it's going for, but Spider-Man might now be the best character for the story.

Also, no Doc Ock in this version, must be another draft.

http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/s/spider-man-scriptment.html

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rochallor posted:

I read the scriptment for the Cameron film about a decade ago and I remember really liking it, with some reservations. It really, REALLY captures "with great power comes great responsibility" beyond just the whole Uncle Ben stuff and has Peter being courted (and really almost joining) the main villain, a quasi-Electro guy.

Scrolling through it just now, I really like what it's going for, but Spider-Man might now be the best character for the story.

Also, no Doc Ock in this version, must be another draft.

http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/s/spider-man-scriptment.html

Actually, I just learned this when looking up an old video on the subject, but we're talking about two different unfilmed Spider-Man movies here! They got conflated over time!

The one you just read and linked was the one that actually did have James Cameron attached; it was always going to have Sandman in it, and that version of Electro. The Doctor Octopus movie that everybody's talking about wasn't involved with James Cameron's adaptation at any point, it was actually written much earlier by two writers working for Canon Films. Sometime in the nineties someone circulated the Canon script with the writers' names replaced with Cameron's, and that stuck for a lot of people. I don't know where the idea that Schwarzenegger was going to play Doctor Octopus came from.

The Canon script is also even stupider than anybody is giving credit for. Doctor Octopus is actually a professor, and Peter Parker's college teacher. The main plot revolves around Professor Octopus stealing Peter's research paper, and using theorems from it to conduct an experiment that will destroy the world (no 'might', this is a 100% certainty and he wants to do it to see Heaven). Also, Professor Octopus calls himself Spider-Man sometimes, for some reason.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

He has eight limbs, duh.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

There was another Spider-man film treatment that Cannon had, which was pretty much Spider-man in name only. It was going to involve a scientist capturing people in the sewers and turning them into horrible monsters. And one would become Spider-man.

I think the story of this was in that book about all the attempts to film Superman. (Superman versus Hollywood. It's a great book.)

Here's an interesting link where they talked about the plan for Cannons 80 Spidey film and how they used some of the sets they made for it in the JCVD movie, Cyborg.

http://legendsrevealed.com/entertai...spider-man-one/

And a cool link to a good link to the three proposed Spidey films. The horror one. The Doc Ock one and Cameron's one.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 20, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Stories I've read about the Cameron Spider-Man over the years have said that he was going to refer to his robot arms as "weldos" (which I know is a real thing but it's still very funny to imagine Ahnold talking about his weldos), his catchphrase was going to be "Okey-dokey, then" and he was going to have a nerdy sidekick he bullied throughout the movie.

Are you sure you don’t mean “waldos”? Because that’s what Ock’s extra arms started out as before they got fused to his body.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Whole lotta idiots ITT with wrong opinions about 90s Spider-Man

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Whole lotta idiots ITT with wrong opinions about 90s Spider-Man

Straight up.

Also, I'm appalled by the James Cameron doubters here. Yes, that script from a million years ago had some weird bits in it, but c'mon, this is mid-90s James Cameron. At this point, he's just a few years removed from Terminator 2 and Aliens -- arguably the best action films ever made. Even if we assume this hypothetical Spider-Man movie was his worst film up to that point, it'd still likely be better than what we got from Raimi, Webb, etcetera.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ecavalli posted:

Straight up.

Also, I'm appalled by the James Cameron doubters here. Yes, that script from a million years ago had some weird bits in it, but c'mon, this is mid-90s James Cameron. At this point, he's just a few years removed from Terminator 2 and Aliens -- arguably the best action films ever made. Even if we assume this hypothetical Spider-Man movie was his worst film up to that point, it'd still likely be better than what we got from Raimi, Webb, etcetera.

You're insane. Sam Raimi Spider-Man is the best.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

prefect posted:

You're insane. Sam Raimi Spider-Man is the best.

This is the Post Funny Panels thread not the Wrongest Opinions thread! More funny panels!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

ecavalli posted:

Straight up.

In the James Cameron script Spider-man shouts at Electro "I'll kill you! Motherfucker! You hear me?! You're dead!"

It sucks

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

In the James Cameron script Spider-man shouts at Electro "I'll kill you! Motherfucker! You hear me?! You're dead!"

It sucks

Does he proclaim that he'll follow Electro to the ends of the Eaarrrrrrrttttthhhhhh!!! immediately afterwards?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mighty Samson #1, in which Mighty Samson defeats a Liobear.

Old comics are the best.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

CzarChasm posted:

It sucks

It also has a scene where Peter wakes up from a dream to discover that his bed is covered in a white, sticky substance. He has a Web Dream.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

It sucks

Granted, on paper, that sounds awful. But I'm sure Hudsons' iconic "Game over, man!" line from Aliens would also seem ludicrously stupid if we only had the script to go by.

Arguing hypotheticals from 20 years ago won't get us anywhere, so all I'm saying is that James Cameron -- particularly pre-Avatar James Cameron -- could throw together top-notch, box-office-smashing action movies in his sleep. In that era, he's right up there with Spielberg as the safest bet for a massive tentpole production like Spider-Man.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Game over man may sound funny on paper but if you think Spider-Man would say I'll kill you motherfucker I don't think you've ever read a Spidey book in your life

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ecavalli posted:

Granted, on paper, that sounds awful. But I'm sure Hudsons' iconic "Game over, man!" line from Aliens would also seem ludicrously stupid if we only had the script to go by.

Wasn't that ad-libbed?

edit: https://uproxx.com/hitfix/aliens-30-bill-paxton-recounts-the-origins-of-hudsons-most-famous-line/

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Question IRL posted:

It also has a scene where Peter wakes up from a dream to discover that his bed is covered in a white, sticky substance. He has a Web Dream.

That's the basic Spider-Man metaphor, right? That a teenage boy wakes up one day with more muscles, hair in strange places, and the ability to thwip white substance across the room.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

That's the basic Spider-Man metaphor, right? That a teenage boy wakes up one day with more muscles, hair in strange places, and the ability to thwip white substance across the room.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

site posted:

Game over man may sound funny on paper but if you think Spider-Man would say I'll kill you motherfucker I don't think you've ever read a Spidey book in your life

That was more my point. It's less "These are bad and stupid things" and more "Spider-man would not say 'motherfucker', ever". The script as is reads more like "What if Kick-rear end had Spider-man's power set?" That might even be an entertaining movie. But it would be a god awful Spidey movie.

I'd like to believe that had the script gone further into production, someone at Marvel could have gone over it with a red pen and corrected things like Electro's name is Max, not Carl; May's maiden name is Reiley, not Frabinowitz; Peter never calls anyone any variety of 'fucker', regardless of how much they deserve it; Electro has never been depicted as a sexual sadist and certainly never electrocuted a teenage girl in her tits...

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Well, gently caress.

Happily, Cameron's Spider-Man would've likely included Bill Paxton somehow, and Bill Paxton improves everything he's in.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I don't know much about comics and even less about movies but if I had to choose between the guy who did Evil Dead or the guy who did Titanic to direct Spider-man, it'd be Evil Dead every time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I don't know much about comics and even less about movies but if I had to choose between the guy who did Evil Dead or the guy who did Titanic to direct Spider-man, it'd be Evil Dead every time.

What if you had to pick between the director of Darkman and the director of Piranha 2?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Dude, Darkman is legit good!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Raimi Spider-Mans are good. Even 3. Especially 3.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

JK Simmons, Willem DaFoe and Alfred Molina are all absolute treasures, and were a joy to watch. Everything else is just kinda there

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Evil Dead sequence in 2 justifies pretty much all of 3

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SilverSupernova posted:

Does he proclaim that he'll follow Electro to the ends of the Eaarrrrrrrttttthhhhhh!!! immediately afterwards?

You'll pay for this!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

This is great :3:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

The Question IRL posted:

He also spins a web and does a spider mating dance for MJ before deflowering her on top of the Queensboro Bridge.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

See you and raise:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Spidey Super Stories is loving amazing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samuringa posted:

What about the guy who did Darkman versus the guy who did Terminator?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Why is the breaking point here Spider-Man saying a curse word and not Spider-Man threatening to kill somebody. Geez louise. Peter Parker's a grown adult who has had his almost-fiance die in his arms and gotten taken over by liquid alien clothes, he can say "gently caress" if he needs to. I don't really want him to be swinging around bellowing profanities every morning in my daily paper but the world has room for wildly disparate takes on Batman, and I think it has room for wildly disparate takes on Spider-Man too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Archyduke posted:

Why is the breaking point here Spider-Man saying a curse word and not Spider-Man threatening to kill somebody. Geez louise. Peter Parker's a grown adult who has had his almost-fiance die in his arms and gotten taken over by liquid alien clothes, he can say "gently caress" if he needs to. I don't really want him to be swinging around bellowing profanities every morning in my daily paper but the world has room for wildly disparate takes on Batman, and I think it has room for wildly disparate takes on Spider-Man too.

Because it doesn't really suit any portrayal of him

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Random Stranger posted:

What if you had to pick between the director of Darkman and the director of Piranha 2?

Skwirl posted:

What about the guy who did Darkman versus the guy who did Terminator?

Superstring posted:

Dude, Darkman is legit good!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Because it doesn't really suit any portrayal of him

I mean to be honest that is because most versions of him are pretty outdated. If you're talking about a put-upon and bullied nerd who has to be trauma'd out of abusing his newfound power and with major anger issues the modern version of Peter was probably shouting curse words on Twitch chat before he became Spider-Man.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Archyduke posted:

my criticism included both the death threat and the dropping of the f bomb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

site posted:

my criticism included both the death threat and the dropping of the f bomb

I dunno about the f-bomb, but sure, Spider-Man would never - especially in times of great stress - threaten to kill anyone, right?

...oh wait, of course he would. What makes him awesome is that even when he feels ready to kill he finds himself always pulling back from that ledge at the last second, because his fundamental decency won't let him go there - not that he never approaches the ledge in the first place.