Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

ilkhan posted:

220mi / 130mph / 5.6s 3SR $35k
310mi / 140mph / 5.1s 3LR $49k (first production, includes premium package)
310mi / 140mph / 4.5s 3LR-D +$5k
310mi / 155mph / 3.5s P3D $78k includes wheels/paint options + optional white interior (exclusive for a few months)

The jump in price for the performance model seems huge. Was it the same for S X?

It looks like Tesla are milking their P customers but I don’t have a problem with that if it gets the company to the end goal profitability and sustainability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Beffer posted:

The jump in price for the performance model seems huge. Was it the same for S X?

It looks like Tesla are milking their P customers but I don’t have a problem with that if it gets the company to the end goal profitability and sustainability.
An S 100D is like $90k. An S P100D is like $123k. Its about right.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
https://i.imgur.com/UuIzDSP.jpg

Tesla late to deliver Model 3s, shocker of the year.

I got the same email this afternoon only mine is June delivery. I ordered April 16th. I'm not surprised but still bummed out. I'm (ironically?) getting my whole house electrical service upgraded today and installing the Tesla high powered wall charger, that will now not see use for a month or so.

Elon sure is good at PR; release AWD / performance specs to hype the public, when you know you have bad news for people that already gave you $3.5k and now have to wait an extra month or two for a car.

Upside, seems likely the full tax rebate will now extend to the end of the year.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

spandexcajun posted:

Upside, seems likely the full tax rebate will now extend to the end of the year.

Yeah, kinda surprised they don't just come out and say that they're delaying deliveries to extend the tax credit. I don't think customers would be angry about that.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Agronox posted:

Yeah, kinda surprised they don't just come out and say that they're delaying deliveries to extend the tax credit. I don't think customers would be angry about that.

Might the Government be angry about that?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hizawk posted:

I have a 2017 fors fousion energi. Its a fantastic car. Just got a recall notice about a potential loose steering wheel nut, and they fixed it. Other than that, its had zero issues in the first 30k km.

I average 4.0L/100km on the lifetime of the car with a spring / summer / fall EV range of 37ish km before it needs a charge. Plugging into a wall its fully charged in 6ish hours. The cars range with a full tank of gas (approx 60bucks to fill at current canadian prices) gives me just shy of 1000km range.

The only lovely thing about the car is the trunk space, as the EV battery leaves like no space in the trunk. The car is roomy as gently caress for all passengers and the leather feels great. Its a confortable drive and extremely quiet even when the ICE is running.

The sunglass holder thing is balls and doesn'tfit anything except thin collapsible sunglasses.

Myfordtouch works flawlessly with android auto and I always just use that. If you just use Bluetooth, the car connects and resumes your paused song when you start the car. I ditched Sirius because of that feature.

Pairing with Alexa is the best loving thing though. In bullshit Canadian winter or hot as gently caress summer I can just say Alexa, open my ford mobile and start my car and it starts the car for you. Defintely recommend that.

I used to have a 2010 WRX and I honestly love the Fusion more. And getting the car for around 30k total is a huge loving steal.

Thanks for the review. Yeah I found even with the stock stereo the Bluetooth is probably the least poo poo, actually works, easy implementation I can remember in a car. Strictly as a single occupant commuter car trunk space isn't a concern. I'll keep those economy numbers in mind for the future.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Might the Government be angry about that?

What are they going to do if they are?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Someone got into a little fender bender with his new model 3 and, on account of its special needs, wound up with a repair bill of close to $7000:

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/20/heres-what-7000-of-damage-looks-like-on-a-tesla-model-3/

The article mentions unusually high labor costs in NYC, but you could cut the labor rate in half and still end up with a ridiculously large bill for such a small dent.

Subjunctive posted:

What are they going to do if they are?

Under the current political climate, there must be at least a few officials who'd happily jump on any excuse to shitcan the EV tax credit altogether.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://electrek.co/2018/02/27/tesla-model-3-motor-designer-permanent-magnet-motor/

Can someone explain the differences between the two motor types? Is is it just that permanent use rare earth metals and induction is... more efficient? Oh yeah, also why one in the front or back. Model S's and X's have different front/rear motors but of the induction type, correct?

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 21, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Permanent-magnet motors use, well, permanent magnets as one half of the moving system. The other half is the magnetic coils which are driven to push and pull the magnets around, creating motion. Usually on this type of motor the coils are fixed (the stator) and the magnets spin (the rotor).

Induction motors replace the rotor magnets with another set of coils. The rotor coil is wound in a way that allows the magnetic field in the stator coils to induce a current in the rotor, which creates an opposing magnetic field, which is then repelled or attracted by the stator field, creating motion.

Permanent-magnet motors are more expensive and heavier but produce more torque at low RPMs. Induction motors are cheaper and lighter and more rugged.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

spandexcajun posted:

Model 3 owners, post some pics eh?

I am skeptical that I will get my Model 3 on time at this point. Originally Tesla quoted a 2-6 weeks delivery time from order. Monday will be 5 weeks since I ordered and no communication from Tesla. Other owners seem to get a VIN issues (when the car is built but before it is shipped, maybe? ) then pick up the cars in 5 - 10 days. Reddit/tesla is speculating they are holding off US vehicle deliveries and shipping most cars to Canada so they can extend the full US tax credit for a additional 3 months, if they delver less then 200K vehicles by the end of the 2nd quarter of the year, the credit will extend (smart, if they are doing that...)

I thought I would have a VIN issued by now but nothing. It is not a huge deal, after all I have been waiting 2 years for the car, whats a few more weeks right? But, even a mass email saying we have not forgot about you would go a long way. I want my new toy!!

What were your experiences with the time from VIN issues to schedule a pic up?

I got my vin after 5 weeks and actual delivery clocked in at ~8 weeks. I also went with the cheapest areo/black options so that might have factored in but I'd expect you to get a vin in the next week or so and then delivery in the next 2-3 weeks depending on where you live.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

spandexcajun posted:

https://i.imgur.com/UuIzDSP.jpg

Tesla late to deliver Model 3s, shocker of the year.

With the stories of Canadian deliveries increasing dramatically, this feels intentional so if it is a play to work the credit and not factory problems, then hopefully there will be a mass of deliveries in the first two weeks of July, which is only 2 weeks longer than I had expected so eh.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
I'm in the market for a used EV looking to spend around 15-17k. So far I've found nearby a 2016 Kia Soul EV, a 2014 Ford Focus EV, lots of Leafs, and a few Volts.

Any thoughts on which ones I should prefer? Part of me would prefer the Kia Soul and Ford Focus due to their battery temperature management, but I'm not sure how big of a difference that makes. Trunk space doesn't matter as much as my family has a CUV for longer distance/hauling.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Buddy bought a used leaf; thing is ugly as sin but it is comfy and super zippy. His commute is about 40 miles round trip. Batteries are still in fantastic condition.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The European Chevy Volts, i.e Opel Amperas are expensive as gently caress second hand. Anyone know why?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Pendragon posted:

I'm in the market for a used EV looking to spend around 15-17k. So far I've found nearby a 2016 Kia Soul EV, a 2014 Ford Focus EV, lots of Leafs, and a few Volts.

Any thoughts on which ones I should prefer? Part of me would prefer the Kia Soul and Ford Focus due to their battery temperature management, but I'm not sure how big of a difference that makes. Trunk space doesn't matter as much as my family has a CUV for longer distance/hauling.

The Chevy Spark EV
https://youtu.be/nXa8JqwVGy4

Pay extra for CCS. The 2016 has a backup camera, but the 2014 has more torque. Should be under your budget, maybe at your budget if you have to pay to transport it via CarMax or something. They were only sold new in California, Oregon, and (I think?) somewhere in the Northeast US. If you happen to be in the Seattle area they're plentiful and I'd love to introduce you to my ev dealer of choice.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
Forgot about the Spark EV. That said I have two toddlers that need to (and will need to) fit in the back seat, so that may be a bit too small for my needs.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Pendragon posted:

Forgot about the Spark EV. That said I have two toddlers that need to (and will need to) fit in the back seat, so that may be a bit too small for my needs.

Yes I agree that would disqualify it.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Consumer Reports with a mixed review of the Model 3: https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids-evs/tesla-model-3-review-falls-short-of-consumer-reports-recommendation/

The stuff about the braking seems all sorts of unsafe.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
That review is pretty bad for Tesla

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm really puzzled by the Tesla lady's suggestion that they could improve the braking distance with a software update.

If that's true, why haven't they already done it? What's wrong with their software development process that they don't optimize something as critical as stopping distance before the car is put on sale?

If that's a lie, what other lies are they telling about their cars' capabilities and future updates? (Beyond the obvious one about autopilot I mean)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've had a few situations on the freeway where i had to come to a sudden stop or drop speed from 70 to 20 pretty quickly and I haven't noticed that it's any better or worse than any of my previous cars. The last gas car I drove was worse for sure and the last leaf i drove was a bit tighter feeling but nothing that seemed to out of the ordinary.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I'm really puzzled by the Tesla lady's suggestion that they could improve the braking distance with a software update.

If that's true, why haven't they already done it? What's wrong with their software development process that they don't optimize something as critical as stopping distance before the car is put on sale?

Can't answer the second, but the fact that there are such wild variations-- and the tested result that stop 1 was acceptably short but subsequent tests were not-- suggest something other than the weight and brake mechanical system is at play. The wide variation-- Motor trend measured 119 feet in one test, Car and driver 198 in another seems like... a lot for something not software related.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Really curious as to what the root cause of it is. Manufacturing variations or other issues from an absurdly arrogant company that often has no loving clue what it’s doing? If a software update fixes it, that is...concerning.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The computer analyzes your shopping habits and modulates the brake so you pull up in front of a relevant merchant.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Ola posted:

The computer analyzes your shopping habits and modulates the brake so you pull up in front of a relevant merchant.

Are you sure it's not tied to the subsystem that optimizes the most amount of drivers who get a chance to see the cars logo?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I could see it being something like the threshold for when it switches from regen to disc brakes for decel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RZA Encryption posted:

I could see it being something like the threshold for when it switches from regen to disc brakes for decel.

Doesn’t the brake pedal always engage the brakes? I didn’t think there was anything that switched over between regen and brake on Tesla vehicles.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Doesn’t the brake pedal always engage the brakes? I didn’t think there was anything that switched over between regen and brake on Tesla vehicles.

You're probably right. I just assumed it would just aggressively regen for some softer braking. I don't know how Tesla has implemeted it.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm really enjoying Tesla Watch 2018

cross-reference the Doomsday Economics thread and /r/RealTesla for maximum :munch:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RZA Encryption posted:

You're probably right. I just assumed it would just aggressively regen for some softer braking. I don't know how Tesla has implemeted it.

You get regen as you release the accelerator, which can be quite aggressive, but the braking is (unfortunately) unrelated.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Couldn't it be as simple as ABS tuning? I'm assuming these tests are full on panic stops with the foot buried. ABS aggressiveness can have a huge effect on stopping distance.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tesla has a bit of a history where components which aren't in fashion get sourced as cheaply as possible. So you might get a carbon fiber dash, high end sound system and brake pads made from chinesium and straw.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
It sounds like the pads can't handle emergency stopping without significant degradation

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLsM5n288qk&t=78s

bring on the zaprudering... my take is that you hear the initial clunk/tire squeak and then there's a fraction of a second before you hear it again. It'd be interesting with an accelerometer readout

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ola posted:

Tesla has a bit of a history where components which aren't in fashion get sourced as cheaply as possible. So you might get a carbon fiber dash, high end sound system and brake pads made from chinesium and straw.

All the major vendors ignore Tesla. I forgot who was at fault (Tesla for insane requirements) or the vendors (for tesla not buying enough volume).

Didn't the Designers of the model X door mechanism leave the project at one point?

incoherent fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 21, 2018

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

MrOnBicycle posted:

The European Chevy Volts, i.e Opel Amperas are expensive as gently caress second hand. Anyone know why?
They didn't sell very many of them, and now people have realised that they're actually solid cars would be my guess.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Why is this thread rated 2, by the way? Is it the Tesla haters? Big oil/coal looking to kill the EV again? :tinfoil:

incoherent posted:

All the major vendors ignore Tesla. I forgot who was at fault (Tesla for insane standards) or the vendors (for tesla not buying enough volume).

Didn't the Designers of the model X door mechanism leave the project at one point?

Zero Motorcycles also had (and still might have) the vendor problem with their bikes. I think they didn’t have the unit volume until 2014 or 2015 to get suspension components from Showa, and before they were using some weird off-brand suspenders that were lacking in quality. Zero is relying on J.Juan brake parts combined with what I think is Bosch ABS, and I hadn’t heard of J.Juan until I looked down at the caliper when buying my FXS.

The Showa suspenders are pretty solid stuff and make the bike a hoot, and the brakes are competent (with a solid-feeling front and weirdly hard and clunky rear), but I won’t pretend I’m getting close to top-notch poo poo on a bike with the price point of more expensive racing machines. The SR, fully loaded, is about $17k and you can get a motherfucker of a BMW, KTM or Ducky at that point with really solid equipment on it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ripoff posted:

Why is this thread rated 2, by the way? Is it the Tesla haters? Big oil/coal looking to kill the EV again? :tinfoil:

If I were to rate it 2, it would be because of the seasonal autonomous vehicle speculation derails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Long term reviews are so much better for determining a car's true strengths and weaknesses.

https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-3/2017/long-term-road-test/2017-tesla-model-3-monthly-update-for-april-2018.html

Not good for Tesla.

• Locked thread