Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

yes, if your product is ai that can make a phone call it's somewhat important for the ai to be making a phone call, because otherwise you're just demonstrating a phone call, which i understand have been around for a while now.

tbf if the android thread is to be believed, no one actually uses their phone to make phone calls, so it might just be a pretty impressive tech to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Endless Mike posted:

tbf if the android thread is to be believed, no one actually uses their phone to make phone calls, so it might just be a pretty impressive tech to them

I never understood this, but then it turns out that they are just brokebrained and it made perfect sense

Wasabi the J posted:

if anything can help me work around my loving anxiety, especially with phone calls, I will pay for that poo poo in a heartbeat.

AlexDeGruven posted:

loving this 100%.

I absolutely hate calling people, especially those with whom I don't have a preexisting relationship. Cold calling anyone literally takes several minutes for me to get over that hump and dial.

Online ordering for food has been a godsend, and adding that capability where it doesn't currently exist will save me and everyone around me a lot of hassle.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Who likes calling people when texting is so much easier? The worst are annoying people that don't understand the signs that I'd like to end the phone call and not spend an hour yapping.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Lambert posted:

Did he? The calls in Apple presentation always seemed just as scripted.

It was during the iPhone introduction that stebe prank-called a local Starbucks and ordered 4000 lattes before hanging up

e: yup https://www.fastcompany.com/3006147/because-steve-jobss-first-public-iphone-call-starbucks-still-

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i do find it kind of funny to have a computer place a phone call and negotiate something

it will be even more hilarious when it turns into computers calling computers to negotiate things over voice -- then google introduces a "new" computer-to-computer over the wire protocol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lancemantis posted:

i do find it kind of funny to have a computer place a phone call and negotiate something

it will be even more hilarious when it turns into computers calling computers to negotiate things over voice -- then google introduces a "new" computer-to-computer over the wire protocol

high frequency reserving

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
eventually nerds rediscover phreaking and act like its new

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

lancemantis posted:

eventually nerds rediscover opentable and act like its new

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

lancemantis posted:

eventually nerds rediscover everything and act like its new

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lancemantis posted:

eventually nerds rediscover phreaking and act like its new

ah the bitcoin gambit

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lancemantis posted:

this is going to be like that facebook ai that developed its own language

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lambert posted:

Who likes calling people when texting is so much easier? The worst are annoying people that don't understand the signs that I'd like to end the phone call and not spend an hour yapping.

source your quotes

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jenny Agutter posted:

source your quotes

Congratulations on never speaking over the phone to anybody over the age of 60

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

is "some people are terrible to talk to on the phone" really a controversial opinion?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

finding stupid tech solutions to a fundamentally social problem is a problem, yes

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

please listen to your elder relatives, it means a lot to them. don't try to have duplex call your aunt on her birthday

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

please listen to your elder relatives, it means a lot to them. don't try to have duplex call your aunt on her birthday

only simplex for your relatives?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
simplex b maybe

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OldAlias posted:

finding stupid tech solutions to a fundamentally social problem is a problem, yes

your mushmouth isn't a social problem, bro

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
twitter for android has to bundle its own emoji because android doesn't get updates https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/21/17376316/twitter-android-emoji-update-fix

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

anthonypants posted:

twitter for android has to bundle its own emoji because android doesn't get updates https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/21/17376316/twitter-android-emoji-update-fix

Pretty sure they could simply use the emojis bundled with the Google Play Services.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

anthonypants posted:

was gonna say that the versions of android they mention are extremely old but then I remembered

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oreo up to 5.7% a mere eight months after release! looking good!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I mixed up oreo and lolipop for a second and thought "hey that isnt awful" but then I remembered :rip:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

congrats on hitting 2/3 of devices on a technically supported release you poo poo platform and company

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

congrats on hitting 2/3 of devices on a technically supported release you poo poo platform and company

this but sort of unironically. some loving progress happening at least

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/999281274635374592

thanks google

thoogle

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
isg+

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
gingerbread devices will exist forerver and its hilarious

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
poor honeycomb :rip:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

shameful

sourdough posted:

On the other hand, I was definitely impressed when Google Home parsed "let there be light" and "let there be darkness" correctly and switched on and off our wifi outlet-connected floor lamp. Also it gave "cool cool" once for an acknowledgment, which was sweet.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
very cool https://twitter.com/kevinroose/status/1001862656486068224

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
yes but more importantly the pixel 3 has a notch

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah yeah armies killing people are bad and all but what if the armies were listening to me?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

if everyone dies in war then there will be forever peace for the irradiated cockroaches that roam the earth

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
can't sell ads to dead people

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Stymie posted:

can't sell ads to dead people

hmm. good

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
new idea don’t steal: sell ad space on your gravestone so you can provide for your loved ones after you are dead.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
What if: "Disable Adblock whining but plus Predator Drones"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I don't know fuckall about ~*.AdTeCh.*~ but is "% of site visitors with AdBlock" an included metric to prospective advertisers?

I can't imagine anyone advertising on, for example, most tech-news (like: tech-news for IT people, I mean) because no one will ever see it.

• Locked thread