Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I just wanted to mention Sky Force Reloaded since I haven't seen any discussion about it. If you like top-down plane shooters with upgrade/grinding elements, pick it up. It's a lot of fun and the perfect game for being able to just jump in and play a mission or two and feeling like you progressed. Each mission has three difficulty levels that you unlock by completing different challenges (kill 70% of the enemies, kill all enemies, don't get hit, etc.). The game can get hard, but it never feels unfair.

There are unlockable "cards" that give you different bonuses, some are permanent, some are temporary for only 15 minutes after finding the card. There are also unlockable technicians that also give you different bonuses, but usually more interesting than just straight-up percentage increases to things like a lot of the cards are. For example, the one technician, Burton Panic, does what his name says. He'll fire off a random power-up in panic situations and it can be a complete life saver or a giant dud. You can also find ship parts, which unlock more ships you can use. These will generally have different play styles, like fast and fragile or slow and tanky, etc.

It's a grindy game, so if that turns you off you probably won't like it. But I find the game play loop fun and the production values are pretty high. Good graphics, sound, and music and I haven't encountered any bugs or crashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

nopantsjack posted:

octopath might be good, though I haven't played the demo and Argos didn't honour the sweet UK deal where they accidentally put the collectors edition up for 1/3 the price... bastards!

e: I was extremely excited for switch souls until they delayed it, I may end up not even getting it cause god willing I will have played 100 hours of it with my friends on PC by that time

when is MHXX out btw? thats another one where I plan to play a lot of MHW on PC with my buds

Yeah I ran through Prepare to Die Again and will likely dick around on the PC remaster so dropping full price on the portable version a few months later sounds extremely wasteful and not worth it. Sucks to suck, from

Mhxx is on August 28th, ugh. Over three months to go. gently caress I need a cool new game, guess I'll give my gaming PC a shake. It's been a while

Also I missed half off Nier automata on steam by a week, it's back to a whole drat $60!! It's been a bad month for gaming purchases for me

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

KingSlime posted:

Yeah I ran through Prepare to Die Again and will likely dick around on the PC remaster so dropping full price on the portable version a few months later sounds extremely wasteful and not worth it. Sucks to suck, from

Mhxx is on August 28th, ugh. Over three months to go. gently caress I need a cool new game, guess I'll give my gaming PC a shake. It's been a while

Also I missed half off Nier automata on steam by a week, it's back to a whole drat $60!! It's been a bad month for gaming purchases for me

drat thats roughly when MHW is due on PC, I dunno if I will wanna play it after that

I discovered the yakuza series so have been playing 0, kiwami and now 6 so i've been having a great time.
discovering a lengthy game series that already has a bunch of stuff out is a rare treat but I dread running out of them once i'm done with 6

atm the switch is my "fifa on the train" machine and i'm not on trains very often

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Emron posted:

I must have missed a prereq. All that came up after the finale mission was the Linkle finale with Impa. I’ll take a look tonight. Thanks for the heads up!

You need to finish all the Linkle and Cia side missions iirc. There are 4 Linkle and 4 Cia ones.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I would be legit hype as hell if Pokemon Switch was just the original 151.

HD Yellow/Blue/Red/Green? Yes please.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We dont really need a third go round on red/blue unless it does something cool like including another entire region as postgame. Doesnt need to be Johto, literally any region is fine with me.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

They have never done anything as cool as the Gold/Silver post game, and that makes me sad.

I played through Silver on an imported copy before it hit the states, and somehow found my way to Kanto despite not being able to read anything. It blew my loving mind.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Just take the loving breath of the wild engine and make a new Pokemon open world RPG like The Witcher 3 or something.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
How do I unlock My Fairy? I want a fairy godd drat it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Infinitum posted:

Fire Red and Leaf Green weren't all that good TBQH

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Barudak posted:

We dont really need a third go round on red/blue unless it does something cool like including another entire region as postgame. Doesnt need to be Johto, literally any region is fine with me.

Postgame you get to go to New Donk City. The confused protagonist mistakes Mario enemies for Pokemon and starts battling and capturing them.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The only halfway decent remakes were HGSS.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Infinitum posted:

No Crobat, Espeon, Umbreon, etc was loving terrible in Firered/Leafgreen and it would be even loving worse now since Gen IV added even more evos/prevos to Gen 1 mons.

151 should die in a ditch.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Reality Loser posted:

You have to find a fairy first. They're in jars in adventure levels. The level directly above the first adventure level on the first map has one. They're shown just like every other kind of loot in the loot bar at the top of the screen when you're selecting a level from the map.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
uh, duhh nintendo, all you have to do is just make a open world pokemon card game battle royale with a story about fatherhood already :rolleyes:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Reality Loser posted:

You have to find a fairy first. They can be found in specific brown pots in keeps. Look for the missions that have a fairy in its rewards.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Raserys posted:

uh, duhh nintendo, all you have to do is just make a open world pokemon card game battle royale with a story about fatherhood already :rolleyes:

Hi it's me, the guy who thinks about how neat it'd be if pokemon tcg online came to the switch but in more of the old gameboy pokemon tcg game style

(don't @ me talking about how poo poo tcg online is or whatever, i don't play and don't really care)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A remake of Pokémon Trading Card Game for the Game Boy in Breath of the Wild's engine

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm more likely to buy a pokemon game if it's more focused on the ones I know. (The original 151 + pikablu)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

man nurse posted:

They have never done anything as cool as the Gold/Silver post game, and that makes me sad.

I played through Silver on an imported copy before it hit the states, and somehow found my way to Kanto despite not being able to read anything. It blew my loving mind.

You can thank Based Iwata-San for that, he was a programming genius

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Manky posted:

Hi it's me, the guy who thinks about how neat it'd be if pokemon tcg online came to the switch but in more of the old gameboy pokemon tcg game style

(don't @ me talking about how poo poo tcg online is or whatever, i don't play and don't really care)

I’d be happy if we could at least get the iPad version of TCG Online. Why the hell is that not on any Nintendo platform.:argh:

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

man nurse posted:

I did the same thing and remember the intense anxiety from letting a mon learn a new move or not

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
When Pokemon Go dropped I was actually really excited to see all the Gen 1 pokes again. Also I was living in Salem, MA at the time and someone cool at Niantic (correctly) decided to make Salem a Psychic Pokemon hotspot so there was a high number of Ghastly, which meant I got a Gengar stupid easily.

And then pretty soon I got tired of every other pokemon I saw being a Ghastly.

Honestly I wouldn't mind a return to the original 151, if only because so, so many of the pokes since have really just felt like reskins. Opening area is littered with the new gen's rat, bird, and bug, there's a totally-not-Pikachu Pikachu, starters are always water/fire/grass. I think what probably should have happened was that regional variants became a thing much earlier than they did. Oh look, the Pidgey here are normal/water because this region is marshy! And they have mallard duck coloring!

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm more likely to buy a pokemon game if it's more focused on the ones I know. (The original 151 + pikablu)

I'd be okay with this if you could still transfer in the others. I mean that's what the banks for afterall, if they suddenly stopped letting you carry your pokemon forward to new games, then what was the point

edit: There was definitely creativity fatigue in the later generations, but not as much as you think. It's not like the original 151 are all great either.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 21, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

lelandjs posted:

When Pokemon Go dropped I was actually really excited to see all the Gen 1 pokes again. Also I was living in Salem, MA at the time and someone cool at Niantic (correctly) decided to make Salem a Psychic Pokemon hotspot so there was a high number of Ghastly, which meant I got a Gengar stupid easily.

And then pretty soon I got tired of every other pokemon I saw being a Ghastly.

Honestly I wouldn't mind a return to the original 151, if only because so, so many of the pokes since have really just felt like reskins. Opening area is littered with the new gen's rat, bird, and bug, there's a totally-not-Pikachu Pikachu, starters are always water/fire/grass. I think what probably should have happened was that regional variants became a thing much earlier than they did. Oh look, the Pidgey here are normal/water because this region is marshy! And they have mallard duck coloring!

I agree with this. Pokemon to me, is the original 151. I loved the hell out of Red/Blue, and collected all the 1st generation Pokemon cards. The second they added a bunch of new Pokemon I pretty much lost all interest. Like you said, adding a bunch of re-skinned or slightly modified new Pokemon just watered the game down and made it bland.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I would love a Pokemon with the original 151 but I'm fully aware that it's because of my own nostalgia

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
In Hyrule Warriors, can you lock yourself out of any content? Adventure Mode mentions that items are depleted when used so I’m just wondering about that and anything else you might not be able to access because you played the game wrong.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GreatGreen posted:

In Hyrule Warriors, can you lock yourself out of any content? Adventure Mode mentions that items are depleted when used so I’m just wondering about that and anything else you might not be able to access because you played the game wrong.

No, if you need more items you can just buy them or replay a stage for the classic experience I guess

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'd say to browse through the later generations and see whats there, but there's 807 of them now, so that would be kind of a time investment. I don't think anybody is really familiar with all of them.

807 though, if they don't at least try to hit 1,000 in the first real Gen 8 game then they aren't doing it right :p

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
This My Fairy system in Hyrule Warriors is needlessly complicated.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

THE loving MOON posted:

I'd say to browse through the later generations and see whats there, but there's 807 of them now, so that would be kind of a time investment. I don't think anybody is really familiar with all of them.

807 though, if they don't at least try to hit 1,000 in the first real Gen 8 game then they aren't doing it right :p

There are definitely some gen 3 mons I don't know but that's because I've never played Ruby or Sapphire.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
it's a pretty interesting divide in reactions between longtime pokemon players and people who were limited to Gen 1 and/or pokemon go. I'd put up with a nostalgia game for a switch test run as long as they assured a real Gen 8 was coming

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh lol, I'd forgotten that LG/FR just arbitrarily disallowed certain evos that'd been added since.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

RatHat posted:

This My Fairy system in Hyrule Warriors is needlessly complicated.

How do you even unlock it? I picked up fairies on a couple Adventure Map levels? I don't know what's up there.

EDIT: Agh, poo poo, I didn't look 10 posts up, my bad. Those must have been like... situational in mission fairies?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Sakurazuka posted:

No, if you need more items you can just buy them or replay a stage for the classic experience I guess

Awesome, thanks!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

lelandjs posted:

There are definitely some gen 3 mons I don't know but that's because I've never played Ruby or Sapphire.

RS are probably my least favorite games in the franchise, so you didn't miss much.

I'd be okay with an Eevee/Pikachu yellow remake and I would probably do a 6 Eevee gimmick team. I'd be okay with a gen 8 in Kanto. Really I just want Pokemon on my switch.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
The Pokemon switch game will just be a $60 port of Pokemon Go and you’ll buy it you pathetic nerds don’t lie!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

Really I just want Pokemon on my switch.

Pretty much

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Gottdamn, I'm digging HW but 25 minute missions in Legend Mode are just so draining that I can't do more than 1-2 in a row. Does Adventure Mode cut these down to easier to chew? Or did you guys with 200 hours played only do like 30 missions? :jerry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

At this rate I kind of wish we were getting Pokemon Stars instead.

• Locked thread