Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thin Privilege posted:

At worst, I literally drink out of the sink faucets. Water in hand, hand to mouth. No longer thirsty.

I've done this for years and I get weird looks for it sometimes and I don't get why. Hand is clean, water is clean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I drink like that all the time. No need for a bathroom cup you have to wash every couple days, just make a bowl with your hands and drink (as long as your hands are clean).

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I’m glad I’m not the only one doing this.

Water is good.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

:eyepop:

Do you guys not have health/water inspectors?

Use your hands to cover your ears and repeatedly scream "SAFE TO DRINK!!" That's basically the inspection.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I bend over and drink directly from the faucet stream, what the gently caress is wrong with you nasty hand people?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I bend over and drink directly from the faucet stream, what the gently caress is wrong with you nasty hand people?

Most commercial, and even private faucets/sinks are designed in such a way that doing that is impossible; or if it is possible, it is massively uncomfortable and painful. I do it from my tall faucet at home though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

Most commercial, and even private faucets/sinks are designed in such a way that doing that is impossible; or if it is possible, it is massively uncomfortable and painful.

I will never understand the US

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Andrast posted:

I will never understand the US

I think homeless people try to use public faucets as a shower for their head. Cities also get rid of public benches and trash bins so now there's nowhere to sit and tourists just leave their trash on the floor.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I think homeless people try to use public faucets as a shower for their head. Cities also get rid of public benches and trash bins so now there's nowhere to sit and tourists just leave their trash on the floor.

The bench thing is a recent thing that really annoys me. They gutted all the benches from the parks near me where I occasionally would go to read or whatever when the weather's nice, now there's nothing except dog walkers. There were never any homeless people sleeping on them that I saw so I don't know what the deal is. I thought they were maybe upgrading them because the wood on some of them wasn't in great shape, but it has been about 6 months so I don't think new ones are coming.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hello, new peeve!

When it's outside, it's called "the ground", not "the floor".

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Getting in on the ground floor

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
"Girl spurned and provoked school shooter."

Because as a girl only YOU can prevent a school shooting.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Thin Privilege posted:

Most commercial, and even private faucets/sinks are designed in such a way that doing that is impossible; or if it is possible, it is massively uncomfortable and painful. I do it from my tall faucet at home though.

I am, admittedly, very short but I have no idea what this means even so. Like are you a 7’5” behemoth?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Any women on tinder (could be any dating website or app) who says "you have to be over 180" in their profile. As a short guy, thanks for making me feel bad about existing.

Midig has a new favorite as of 18:39 on May 20, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Midig posted:

Any women on tinder (could be any dating website or app) who says "you have to be over 180" in their profile. As a short guy, thanks for making me feel bad about existing.

Just look at Danny Devito for inspiration. He's short, fat, bald and he could plow probably anyone he wanted to. Anyone who uses height as a strict dealbreaker isn't worth your time anyway.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Statistics show that “heightism” is defininitely a thing but the miracle of it is that you can overcome heightism by being even slightly decent. So it’s, uh, completely different from racism or misogyny or any actual bigotry.

The last girl I dated before coming out is 5’9”, I’m 5’5”. We’re still bffs.

And if your height hurts you can always try dudes. Worked for me

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

The thing is, that it is much easier to accept that you are not attractive if they meet you in person since then they can take all things into account and if you really are smart and funny then they can hopefully see past that. But you don't really have much to go on with Tinder besides how your face looks, so it just becomes this big barrier instead of just a preference. However, as mentioned those people are probably doing you a favor since they let you know that they are shallow/insecure.

Midig has a new favorite as of 19:06 on May 20, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Midig posted:

The thing is, that it is much easier to accept that you are not attracted to you if they meet you in person since then they can take all things into account and if you really a smart, funny and charming guy then they can hopefully see past that. But you don't really have much to go on with Tinder besides how your face looks, so it just becomes this big barrier instead of just a preference.

Well I would suggest not using tinder to find an actual relationship based on anything besides physical attractiveness considering that's what almost everyone uses it for. Might I suggest farmersonly.com?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I definitely get where you’re coming from. I’ve been told “you looked taller on the internet” by a real life person.

Just don’t let it get to you because there are plenty of people who give 0 fucks. And you’re 100% right that if they have height or any specific physical thing in their profile, they’re probably poo poo. So just hit up people with nice profiles.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When software updates don't actually do anything but just change how things that already worked fine work. I just updated my windows 10 and instead of being able to right click on the audio thing and go in to "show audio devices" or something, instead of I have to push sound settings and change the output from there. Why is this better? Why did it need to be changed?

I hate updating for the sake of updating. If it works, don't fix it. Leave it be.

Additional software peeve: if you're going to do a major change, at least make an effort to make it backwards compatible. I hate being forced to update the code and then whoops, all the code I wrote in the past 6 months doesn't work anymore until I update it. I hate having to re-learn how to do things in a language I already know every few months, it's a waste of time. At least Fortran doesn't change much, he's good and reliable and my friend.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the other side of things I hate when things that are broken aren't patched to fix them, like with a great little game called World to the West. It has a lot of charm and some interesting collectibles to find, but one of the health upgrades is bugged in such a way it's impossible to reach because an enemy that you need to control spawns on top of the room instead of inside it, making it undetectable outside of a shadow. They never fixed that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Well I would suggest not using tinder to find an actual relationship based on anything besides physical attractiveness considering that's what almost everyone uses it for. Might I suggest farmersonly.com?

Tinder has become so ubiquitous that the userbase on other sites has drained to just the bottom of the barrel (probably depends where you live and how old you are). People use it for all sorts of things now, from casual bangs to serious relationships to just friends.

It's not a good system but it's basically the only way to meet strangers consistently. One of my best friends married her Tinder match and now they're sailing the Atlantic in a boat they live on. They are clearly insane but also pretty happy.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

When software updates don't actually do anything but just change how things that already worked fine work. I just updated my windows 10 and instead of being able to right click on the audio thing and go in to "show audio devices" or something, instead of I have to push sound settings and change the output from there. Why is this better? Why did it need to be changed?

I hate updating for the sake of updating. If it works, don't fix it. Leave it be.

I agree with your point in general, but you can now left-click on the audio thing, click on the displayed output device, and change it from the list that pops up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Additional software peeve: if you're going to do a major change, at least make an effort to make it backwards compatible. I hate being forced to update the code and then whoops, all the code I wrote in the past 6 months doesn't work anymore until I update it. I hate having to re-learn how to do things in a language I already know every few months, it's a waste of time. At least Fortran doesn't change much, he's good and reliable and my friend.

I am no smart computer guy but I have yet to enjoy any update since windows xp. What features have I gained? Serious question

Also gently caress when windows updates by asking “now, set a time, or remind me later” and then updates, closing all my tabs and documents and extremely important steam window even though I had intentionally put it off to not get the lovely update at all

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I also hate their coy "Hey guys, windows is a SERVICE, that's why you need these updates. Yeah, you used to think of it as a product in a box but now it's a SERVICE, should we decide to introduce subscription fees down the line.

service"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

In the song Mammal by They Might Be Giants there's a line "So the warm blood flows through the large four-chambered heart, maintaining the very high metabolism rate they have" and it so clearly should be "metabolic rate".

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The word "factoid" does not mean the same thing as "fact". They are different words.

I know that there are an infinite number of language gripes, but this one actually creates confusion about what the person is trying to say.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I get extremely skeeved out by people who call women they're not related to "momma" or "mommy". Just because she has a kid doesn't mean she loses her name.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sociopastry posted:

I get extremely skeeved out by people who call women they're not related to "momma" or "mommy". Just because she has a kid doesn't mean she loses her name.

Mamabear triggers a reaction of intense disliking for me, especially if the mother is referring to herself as it. It's just such a dumb thing to say, especially when it's accompanied by a bunch of "rawr"s.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's weird that mom doesn't bother me, mommy only slightly bothers me, but holy poo poo momma makes me want to loving yell.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
"Mama bear" annoys me too. Like, yeah, you're going to protect your kid. That's what moms (hopefully) do.

Is the bear part supposed to imply that you're going to do it by mauling somebody to death? Because that's annoying by itself (that way people threaten others like "Oooh, if we weren't in public right now I'd totally kick his rear end, for real, believe me").

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Parasol Prophet posted:

"Mama bear" annoys me too. Like, yeah, you're going to protect your kid. That's what moms (hopefully) do.

Is the bear part supposed to imply that you're going to do it by mauling somebody to death? Because that's annoying by itself (that way people threaten others like "Oooh, if we weren't in public right now I'd totally kick his rear end, for real, believe me").

I mostly hate it because of my (unfortunately) sister in law who is always posting about what a fierce mama bear she is. They live in a shack in the middle of the woods (which is absolutely stupid with a prematurely born kid who has a lot of health problems and they are trapped in snow for a good portion of the winter, but I digress), and she posts stories about how they go foraging for mushrooms and poo poo. One time they came across a bear den and she went in to "mama bear mode" (her words) and scared it away and was like bragging about how even bears don't "mess with her" but if they do "at least I have my glock". I'm sure a bunch of 9mm bullets plinking off a bear skull is going to save you from being mauled and eaten to death if the bear doesn't/can't run away next time.

You aren't a bear, you're a human, know your limitations and stop putting your kid in danger because you think your ultra-protective instinct will stop a wild animal from killing you all if it wants to.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
In my experience, "mama bear" is code for "giant bitch who will scream in your face until you change little MacKenzie's grade to an A and also let her be captain of the soccer team because it will SCAR HER FOR LIFE is she has to sit on the bench one single second of the 5-6 year old youth summer soccer league's season."

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Or in short - overbearing, narcissistic moron with an entitlement complex who prefers bitching over parenting

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
"Urgh, this thing is annoying me, I'm totally going to kill myself".

No, gently caress you, shut up, saying that poo poo is not acceptable as a teenager, and you are a grown woman.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Google Play store isn't very smart. I already own Blade Runner. Why are you recommending I buy Blade Runner again?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Anyone using the word human being, autistic etc. IRL. Staph. Also the only time the word gay can be used if it refers to someone who is genuinely gay. The only exception is if you joke about not knowing any other adjectives.

Midig has a new favorite as of 22:59 on May 21, 2018

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I get something from Starbucks for a friend of mine, on a vaguely regular basis. It's called an Oreo Frappuccino. It's on the "secret menu" or whatever.

The place I get it the most? I say it, they say OK, and I get the Oreo Frappuccino.

The place closest to where I drop it off, though? I get told they don't have it, and then someone says that they do, but it's really a tall whatever with whatever and substitute whatever with whatever. Every time, I get sass.

Give me my goddamned Oreo Frappuccino and I'll be on my way.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Sociopastry posted:

I loath the "And you must be Dad?" said in a dismissive tone. I'm sitting here with my daughter, just ask my name (or look at the chart). One I have stated my name, you will notice it matches the chart. It's not hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When people accuse supporters of whatever politics they oppose of hypocrisy by ascribing the actions or beliefs of a subset to the entire group. Like "first Max Smith's supporters say that no one should have Skub but now that he's been elected they think it's OK for some people to have Skub" but actually some of his supporters think no one should have Skub and some of his other supporters have a less extreme opinion. That's not hypocrisy, it's just a bunch of people with different opinions all agreeing on one particular issue (they like Max Smith better than whoever his opponent is).

It's particularly obnoxious when it's huge, diverse groups like "conservatives" or "women".