Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

fart blood posted:

My other unpopular opinion....Animal House isn't that great. Yet I think PCU is loving hilarious.

I love Animal House but some of the humor is a bit cringy today. Not to the level of Revenge of the Nerds but there are a few moments where I'm like "OK, I'm a Dad now and...uh..."

loving PCU though. Holds up, still funny, and the natural jackassery of Jeremy Piven is just right for the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
My unpopular opinion is that the movie industry has more original and cool new ideas than ever and the people whining about "IT'S ALL SUPERHEROES AND REMAKES!" aren't actually looking for good movies to watch but just wanna whine.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

fart blood posted:

My unpopular opinion: I thought Black Panther was terrific, but woke white people saying poo poo about how they cried watching it and how important it was really annoyed the piss out of me.

The thing is Black Panther and Thor: Ragnarok have almost exactly the same plot. I prefer Black Panther because it’s not tryhard goofy but I still like Thor: Ragnarok because it was a heavy metal album cover come to life as it should have been instead of the Shakespeare drama they tried to make the first one.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The Last Jedi was great and tbh if that were the one good movie the current industry made I'd be fine with it

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Another one: Outside of actively disgusting/evil works (outright propaganda, works of active hatred, disgusting explotation films) it's really really stupid to get actually mad about works of art. Like it's totally cool and normal to dislike/mock a movie, but getting so loving angry that you scream and shout about how a Star Wars/DC/Marvel movie is bad is deeply embarrassing.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I also liked The Last Jedi and don't really understand the argument that it turned expectations on its head in a bad way but then Infinity War gets praised for turning expectations on its head in a good way.

But don't get it twisted, I liked Infinity War way more.

In fact I don't really like the Star Wars movies nearly as much as other series like The Matrix, all of the MCU and my personal favorite - The Lord of the Rings.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

My unpopular opinion is that the movie industry has more original and cool new ideas than ever and the people whining about "IT'S ALL SUPERHEROES AND REMAKES!" aren't actually looking for good movies to watch but just wanna whine.

:agreed:

Out early next month is Hereditary for example, which I'm absolutely looking forward to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6wWKNij_1M

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Annihilation was (apparently, I didn't see it, whoops I'm part of the problem) a really smart, well made movie with a diverse cast of smart, competent female leads and it loving bombed, sooooooo, that says enough about American movie audiences right there I think.

Anyway any Great Lakes goons, what's a good theme park to go to that's reasonable to get to from the Detroit-ish area? I kinda wanna take my dad and little sister to one and I was thinking Cedar Point but someone a couple pages back said it's super overrated.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

VJeff posted:

Annihilation was (apparently, I didn't see it, whoops I'm part of the problem) a really smart, well made movie with a diverse cast of smart, competent female leads and it loving bombed, sooooooo, that says enough about American movie audiences right there I think.

And A Quiet Place, a smart, well made amazing horror film made bank. Just because one smart movie fails doesn't mean "OH LORD AMERICAN AUDIENCES ARE DROOLING IDIOTS WHO ONLY CLAP AT FLASHING LIGHTS AND EXPLOSIONS!"

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Annihilation also had like no marketing

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

VJeff posted:

Anyway any Great Lakes goons, what's a good theme park to go to that's reasonable to get to from the Detroit-ish area? I kinda wanna take my dad and little sister to one and I was thinking Cedar Point but someone a couple pages back said it's super overrated.

it’s really just Cedar Point that’s close by. there’s some water parks - Kalahari is an indoor water park that’s like 15 minutes from Cedar Point, and it’s neat, and Great Wolf Lodge up north is cool too - but there’s not a lot of roller coasters in the area

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Yeah, a lot of people need to place more blame on the marketing than on the audiences. Annihilation had like one trailer and a handful of TV spots? Of course it flopped, the studio had no faith in it.

I bet even money Hgeriditary's gonna be THE horror movie of the summer and makes good money.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Spikeguy posted:

The bigfoot was and still is my favorite pizza of all time. Check out this commercial from 1993. It features the dude that played Carlos in Freddy's dead and an even younger version of the kid from Sixth Sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOF8YB56BnQ
I still can't believe that Hayley Joel Osment turned out to look like this:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy gently caress the blades, Atena, whaaaat?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm probably gonna see more films this year that are more fun or horrifying or exciting etc than Annihilation, but I've already resigned to the fact I won't think anything is better than it all year

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

OldTennisCourt posted:

And A Quiet Place, a smart, well made amazing horror film made bank. Just because one smart movie fails doesn't mean "OH LORD AMERICAN AUDIENCES ARE DROOLING IDIOTS WHO ONLY CLAP AT FLASHING LIGHTS AND EXPLOSIONS!"

I phrased that poorly, I didn't mean it as a slight against audience intelligence, I just meant it in support of the sentiment expressed earlier that people who complain that there's only superhero movies and remakes aren't doing the legwork to support it when a very good original movie comes along. People should watch what they wanna watch, period, people aren't stupid for wanting to sit in an air conditioned place and enjoy something fun for a few hours.

Also, some of those superhero movies are pretty drat well-made and some of them have some genuine intelligence and emotion under the hood, so. :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Yeah, the first time I heard about it was when it had already been out awhile and everybody was talking about how it was great but nobody had seen it because nobody knew it existed. It was extremely good too!

That loving bear... :gonk:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

the best movie of 2018 will prob be the dragonball one although the english release will prob be 2019

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Here's my dumbass confession/unpopular movie opinion/whatever: I cried at the end of Dark Knight Rises.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VJeff posted:

Here's my dumbass confession/unpopular movie opinion/whatever: I cried at the end of COCO

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

VJeff posted:

Here's my dumbass confession/unpopular movie opinion/whatever: I cried at the end of the Doctor Who episode Twice Upon a Time.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 21, 2018

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I cried at the end of Blockers! and then I laughed at John Cena’s very large, muscular rear end. I cry very easily at entertainment these days now that I can see myself in a lot of these characters!

live your best life

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

VJeff posted:

Here's my dumbass confession/unpopular movie opinion/whatever: I cried at the end of Dark Knight Rises.

The loving part at the end..."That's a good first name....Robin" forced me to let out the most audible groan I've ever groaned.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Chris O'Donnell turned down the Will Smith role in Men in Black because he thought it was the sidekick role instead of the main character, and he'd just been Robin for two movies.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I cried at the start of UP and you're a loving liar if you say you didn't.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm probably gonna see more films this year that are more fun or horrifying or exciting etc than Annihilation, but I've already resigned to the fact I won't think anything is better than it all year

Watched this just now agreed its really good and I too had never heard of it until this thread

What was the marketing budget a buck fifty?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I'm glad. She always seemed like she'd be a fun person to hang out with.

i was talking about a video game. hahaha!

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

fart blood posted:

The loving part at the end..."That's a good first name....Robin" forced me to let out the most audible groan I've ever groaned.

That and the film being pretty much a vehicle for a film which won't ever be made.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

The Croc posted:

Watched this just now agreed its really good and I too had never heard of it until this thread

What was the marketing budget a buck fifty?

one of the producers thought it was too cerebral for audiences and wanted lots of changes made, and while it didn’t affect the content of the film, it affected the marketing and distribution (it wasn’t even released in theaters outside of the US, only on Netflix)

which is a huge bummer. it was really made to be seen in the theater

e: thinking again about the sound design in the theater of the last 25 minutes. it was so engrossing that I don’t think I’ll ever forget how I felt in the seat. such a great movie

Bard Maddox fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 21, 2018

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It was a good but heavily flawed film. similar to microwaved hot dogs that are shriveled and split open, with hunts ketchup on it, slice of crustless white bread for a bun. being forcefully mashed into a mans eye sockets

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Yeah i watched it on netflix (being in the uk) certainly would have liked it have seen it in the cinema.

I am surprised they didn't even do a limited release to a few other markets.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

does anybody else have Moviepass? I love that thing so much. it let me see Annihilation! twice!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

one of the producers thought it was too cerebral for audiences and wanted lots of changes made, and while it didn’t affect the content of the film, it affected the marketing and distribution (it wasn’t even released in theaters outside of the US, only on Netflix)

which is a huge bummer. it was really made to be seen in the theater

e: thinking again about the sound design in the theater of the last 25 minutes. it was so engrossing that I don’t think I’ll ever forget how I felt in the seat. such a great movie

I can't wait to buy it on DVD/BR when it's out in like a week or two I think, but yeah the last 10 or 15 minutes were absolutely perfect for theaters, one of the best theater experiences I've had

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
a while ago i started playing The Witcher 3 after not playing the first 2. everyone says this game is great. i don't know anything about this guy i am and some woman comes up to me and asks me a question about the things i did in the last game and i have no loving idea. i pick something and she gets pissed off at me. i don't want to roleplay as this fuckin guy because i don't know this guys life. so i stopped playing it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I watched entirely too much Kamen Rider this weekend

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Baron Corbin posted:

a while ago i started playing The Witcher 3 after not playing the first 2. everyone says this game is great. i don't know anything about this guy i am and some woman comes up to me and asks me a question about the things i did in the last game and i have no loving idea. i pick something and she gets pissed off at me. i don't want to roleplay as this fuckin guy because i don't know this guys life. so i stopped playing it.

The only good things about Witcher are the hosed up monsters/creatures, the sidequests being pretty good, and I guess the scenery. Gameplay is really paint by numbers and trying to roleplay as geralt is difficult because from the beginning he has been this cool badass sexy charming strong boy power fantasy thing more than a character. It's like if everybody took the main character from Hunt Down the Freeman and said it owns unironically

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
witcher 3 is good and cyberpunk 2077 will be even better

#teamyen

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
also one time in a thread i said the girl with white hair was the cutest girl in the game and people treated me like a sex criminal because apparently that is Geralt's adopted daughter. i don't know anything about this Geralt guy and i just met the girl and she's clearly the cutest one. i'm not Geralt. don't make me roleplay as Geralt. let me hit on this girl.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

DoctorGonzo posted:

witcher 3 is good and cyberpunk 2077 will be even better

#teamyen

my man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I rated the thread a 5.