Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I let a single contingency hub linger for almost a hundred years on the opposite end of the galaxy while I destroyed everyone's war machines in my FP game this weekend. Then I just beelined for the 4th hub + the end system and poof, a quarter of the galaxy goes blank. So much easier to destroy than the goddamn swarm once they get rooted somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Yeah, I'd bet real money the tile system isn't going to be completely scrapped, it'll just get broken into two pieces: pops and 'special' buildings.

Pops will be able to be shuffled around between jobs freely, so there's less of a penalty for not planning ahead (which AI isn't great at) or for swapping jobs too much (which the AI loves to do). If there are 4 buckets which each produce a single resource that'll further simplify things from an AI perspective.

I'm betting buildings/tiles won't go away, instead you'll have a limited number of 'slots' that will depend on planet size/tech/civics/etc. that you can build unique buildings in, which will either give flat bonuses or boosts to each pop's output. So now instead of deciding whether to build six mines and three farms or five mines and four farms, you'll pick between an automated factory that gives you +5 minerals, or a mineral processor which gives +1 mineral per miner.

By doing it this way, they could also easily divorce max population from planet size, so with the right buildings / techs you can fit more people on the same size planet.

When you think about it, every (habitable) planet in Stellaris is around the same size, since almost all of them have the same gravity (discounting unusually high and low densities and unusually fast or slow rotation speeds which should be outliers anyway). So the differences in tile #'s should come down to % of inhabitable landmass, but that doesn't work once you can terraform a planet, since you can literally reshape the landscape why wouldn't you make more livable space? With this change hopefully you'll be able to really play tall by making a Trantor or WH40K Terra or whatever.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Stellaris 2: These Space Butterfly's are Brutal

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

Stellaris 2: These Space Butterfly's are Brutal

I wonder if the most common player selected govt with cuties is fanatic purifier?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

Yo my dudes,

What are some good mods you recommend?

i like alpha mod.

nsc is neat if u like more ships, but it really bloats up the fleet ratings.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guilli's planet modifiers is basically a must have for any game and afaik it works with everything.

They also do a ship parts mod which I enjoy a lot too.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Mod suggestions:

Stellaris Expansion mod & it's add-ons by King Lemming are great for a Vanilla+ experience. They don't go as far as Alphamod does, and I think they are less likely to break the AI. Plus the last time I played with Alpha mod the resource system didn't work well with sectors since the buildings in sectors only count required special resources produced in that sector instead of empire wide.

Guilla's Planet modifiers 'Nuff said.

EUTAB - Ethos unique techs & buildings mod is good for making civics / unity trees more interesting.

Tiny Building contrstuctions mod is a must if you are modding in a bunch of extra types of buildings.

Tiny Outliner & Tiny Planet overview are necessary if you have mods that increase your core planets cap.

Color coded pop status icons should be in the vanilla game.

More Events Mod This probably will end up broken tomorrow & may not be back anytime soon if Distant Stars really does add tons of new events to the game. Good mod otherwise

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont know. If I had started right before the FTL thing changed (I have no idea how it was before) and learned it and got used to it and then it got completely changed and for my second run its all different. Not like is a big problem, but makes me feel like Im wasting my time learning a system thats gonna get replaced

But I guess that's the problem and the beauty of paradox games: they never stop changing them. Although in case of Stellaris it seems like taking it further

I started right before 2.0 and it was extra interesting to be on the cusp of such a dramatic change. I played a few games under the old system to see what it was like and then moved on to the new one, I think it helped me understand the game mechanics even better in the contrast.

You won't be in any different situation than anyone else when the changes (which really won't be that dramatic anyway) roll out, just enjoy the ride.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

glavius AI is essential

changes are too extensive to describe, but basically sum up to: the AI will play no worse than a moderately skilled player, even in situations that would stump or outright freeze the unmodded AI such as extreme economic hardship

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Nevets posted:

Have you tried scrubbing non-alpha characters from the list? You may have one or two unusual names in those two lists that are causing a problem due to a | or ` or ^ or something.

Oh shiiit I never even considered that, great idea. There are definitely some non-standard characters in there, I'll go through and see what I can do about them. Thanks!

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

Yo my dudes,

What are some good mods you recommend?

On top of ones already mentioned, I really like Expanded Stellaris Ascension Perks. You'll want a traditions mod alongside it too, same person has one of those up that's p. deece, but lol if you're not using an unholy array of compatches to kludge five different traditions mods together.

e; Nope, hasn't fixed it. I combed through several other namelists, stock and mod, and I am absolutely and fully baffled. I put it on Pastebin in case anyone wants to have a look; I'm not really asking for help though because I certainly don't expect anyone else to go through all this for me, I'm just genuinely deeply confused at this point and would like to know for my own satisfaction. https://pastebin.com/0DpJheq0

Ship names are working fine.
Fleet names are working fine.
Didn't think to check army names because I was busy trying to find the issues elsewhere.
Planet names are entirely blank.
Leader names are entirely blank.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 22, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay, that is extremely dumb. I integrated a rogue servitor empire into mine and now they're all self-destructing. There should be something that keeps them around after integration instead of machine intelligences just disappearing altogether upon integration

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Was there a good/excellent 40k mod for Stellaris that was goon recommended?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Next time I make a machine empire or a synth run, I'm making sure I have leaders dying to "malfunctions" modded out. In a pretty short timespan I had all three of my researchers that had JUST ticked level 10 die from it. Like drat, if I put as much effort into getting them up to level 10 as a biological path they wouldn't die like that.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I think I maybe found a bug in the ship designer? The ghost signal just fired so I decided to rip the synthetic AI computers from my ships as a preemptive measure. The ship designer will not let me save the refits. If I change the targeting computer type to the yellow one in a different postion (line to artillery for example) it saves fine. But then when I view the new design it has the AI computers despite my specifically not selecting them. If I create a new ship design using the advanced computer and save it also shows up as an AI computer.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

I think I maybe found a bug in the ship designer? The ghost signal just fired so I decided to rip the synthetic AI computers from my ships as a preemptive measure. The ship designer will not let me save the refits. If I change the targeting computer type to the yellow one in a different postion (line to artillery for example) it saves fine. But then when I view the new design it has the AI computers despite my specifically not selecting them. If I create a new ship design using the advanced computer and save it also shows up as an AI computer.

Is auto upgrade on? Maybe it's "helpfully" upgrading the computer to the higher level model rather than just ignoring your input.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Gadzuko posted:

Is auto upgrade on? Maybe it's "helpfully" upgrading the computer to the higher level model rather than just ignoring your input.

Auto upgrade and auto build are off.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Just tried to play with a friend tonight for the first time in a few months but he gets a version mismatch error when he tries to connect to my game (in steam). Is this a known issue?

Neither of us have any mods enabled. We both have the same version/build according to the launcher and in-game display. We both have the same DLC's. We both had steam check our file integrity and found no problems. We are both opted out of any betas in steam.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
I have a picture of Wiz trying to cybersex me in another game.

Also I just picked up the expansion packs on Steam because $$sale$$, I know combat stuff has been changed with 2.0 / Apocalypse, but do late game 200k+ fleets still lag like holy hell?
I plan on starting up a game either tonight or tomorrow, but as with all these games I gotta take some time to knock out some other things before I drop another 8+ hours into a strategy game. :)
I haven't played a campaign since right before 2.0 came out.

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
It's a total conversion mod, but if you like Star Trek, New Horizons is fun.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Release stream on the paradox twitch channel, they showed some of the changes to special resources: Dark matter now gives +10% research speed, Satramene +25% ethic attraction, Teldar Crystals +20% damage bonus.

Stream here

E: game is updating, restart Steam.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 22, 2018

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Distant Stars is out, goons.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Gyshall posted:

:)

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
We've really been killing it with the release trailers lately, if I may say so myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sb_mLT1rO0

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gyshall posted:

And path changelog:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-team-niven-update-2-1-0-released-checksum-01a9.1099863/

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Gonna have to check out of the thread for a while until I find out what's behind the L-Gates.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Patch Notes posted:

* Fixed an issue where the AI would incorrectly allocate too much budget to navies when it could not support any more ships, resulting in underdeveloped empires

Huh, maybe this will fix some of the AI issues people seem to be having.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
* Fixing the bug when it was possible to load save game in an ironman game, and the attendant confusion

:mad:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
New UI Sound fx?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the one hand the additions look cool, on the other hand a bunch of my mods won't work so the base game might be less interesting until they get back up to speed.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Has anyone else started out with no habitable planets nearby?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

LordMune posted:

We've really been killing it with the release trailers lately, if I may say so myself

I really liked the apocalypse teaser or w/e the one where earth blows up

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
My first game and there's bloody Amoeba squadrons floating around the other systems in my cluster. That's gonna slow down early exploration until I can get my fleet up to speed.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
If you haven't gotten it yet Distant Stars is 20% off at Green Man with code STARS20: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/stellaris-distant-stars-story-pack-pc/

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

AG3 posted:

Huh, maybe this will fix some of the AI issues people seem to be having.

one can hope!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the new little icons that tell you what level your leaders are in their assignments.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Fuuuuck yes I'm here for the new multi-star systems

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Real Space 3 still does it better IMO but it's nice to have icons for it on the strateig map.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

LordMune posted:

What happened with the two lines of text in the middle? With the voice over it just seems weird and out of place, like the voice was recorded well before it was completed and someone thought they wanted to add in those two lines but couldn't get the original speaker back in. Otherwise it's good, but I'm too distracted trying to figure that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

Real Space 3 still does it better IMO but it's nice to have icons for it on the strateig map.

Yeah but now Real Space won't have to kludge it in!

Also I just found Living Metal from a new anomaly two jumps from Sol :woop:

e; Trailer is great, music is incredible

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 22, 2018