Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

STATE OF THE GAME: Musings on Streamers

This isn’t a proper effort post, just a first draft dump to give Thread readers a sense of the surreality of the season as seen through the eyes of Streamers.

In this earlier actual effort post, I talked about a year of “Capitulation to the Obvious for all but the Oblivious.”

I’d like to revisit that, but paying special attention to the Streamers, some of whom have proven consistently oblivious to much Thread amusement and disbelief.

Most of you wisely avoid much exposure to the weekly Star Citizen streamers. I can understand why.

This year, I’ve made a habit of monitoring them more closely than before, as much to get a sense of the evolving chatter in that small part of the backer base that actually has a pulse and shares opinions regularly. Their audiences are meager, and it might be reasonable to assume their broadcasts are trivial, save for the fact that CIG employees monitor and engage with them, too.

This in itself is telling. Sherman and Cristian are mods of and a regular presence in Redacted’s Twitch stream.

Lando pops on to The Space Bro Show as a guest, or into Asylum’s chat to make an prickly correction about CIG’s use of the word “sale.”

Foundry Devs comment that they watch the watch the streamers to get a sense of things that they need to improve.

All of these signals suggest that these shows matter, despite attracting audiences of rarely over 300 and often around 100. To the extent that positive conversations about the game are being had outside CIG’s controlled outposts (Spectrum, MMORPG forums, Test Squadron’s forums), they usually are happening on the SC streaming shows. (The subreddit, once no safe haven for criticism, is now regularly a hotbed of them.)

So let’s talk about the Streamers, because interesting things are afoot lately that some may have missed.

”HERCULES!”

Streamers are still working through the troubling implications of the Hercules / Warbonds surprise. Right after Roberts was talking about earning back trust, CIG opted to lose even more in a manner that has left some shaken and disturbed.

That Montoya himself was pre-emptively anticipating another Robertsian betrayal and pitching subscriptions as cool and good seems pretty weird at first. And yet it’s not, because after the Hercules debacle he voiced his support of old money credit devaluation and offered his endorsement of perkified rewards for Warbonds buyers.

“Free tanks if you spend cash? No problem! It helps CIG to cram down the purchasing power of your credits because it might get you spending more cash now! Or reward new backers that we should welcome because they’re protecting CIG from financial trouble!”

CIG needs the money, he reports happily (and Montoya needs CIG to be successful for Test Squadron to be successful), so why should anyone care?

Yet the obvious question can’t help but be asked? Why do they need money so badly?

The question is being asked constantly and has two answers: “CIG is getting greedy” or “CIG is getting desperate.” Though the vast majority of backers are not playing, engaged, or even paying attention, those paying closest attention have been forced to confront this dilemma by the Hercules sale and choose between corruption or incompetence.

It seemed earlier in the year like the biggest matter Streamers needed to worry about was the slowly moving Crytek lawsuit. But after the Hercules rollout, we’re in Bizarroworld. Everyone who might’ve formerly been walking generally in the same direction are now scattering off in unpredictable ones.

Allow me to point out just how unmoored the old narratives have become in the last two weeks:

• Relay is calling SC “Pay 2 Win”, supporting refund rights, and thrust improbably to the front lines of a lot of SC reddit chatter...
  • Montoya is calling for subscription fees and getting mostly upvoted for endorsing breaking one of the last Kickstarter promises as yet unbroken...
  • Matt Sherman is popping in to Redacted chat clarifying that CIG doesn’t WANT to make money they just NEED to maintain sufficient revenues...
  • BadNewsBaron is chiding CIG for drifting further and further away from their early promises and not treating the ones who got them this far like they matter...
  • AstroPub’s show is raging about $35 per item ship fees and the new policy of shipping every item separately — order 13 shirts, pay $35 different shipping fees... (Which sounds impossible to believe, and yet...)
  • Twerk wants people to STOP TALKING ABOUT LTI AND CIG’S FINANCES because people should talk about the GAME not the SHIPS...
  • MoistNoodle is similarly unnerved and wants this discussion to end...NOW.
  • Saurus, who just got a $5000 PC, is drawing new lines in the sand and saying if they keep selling ships after launch he’d be pissed and be thinking refunds...
  • DaGaimez is having Bootcha on his show and touching on topics rarely discussed outside of Heretic sanctuaries like SA...
  • TheFew on The SpaceBro Show (who owns every ship) joins HCVertigo on Asylum and others in talking about Market Saturation...
  • Mitauchi is sanguine about the future yet acknowledges that CIG has to get there...
  • LOTS of streamers are weirded out by CitCon ticket price increases, the new premium option, and unsold seating...
  • and so on.

I’m leaving people out here but everywhere that frequent SC discussions take place, people sense things have gone awry. Those making the least sense are pretending nothing has changed and look like actual Shills or CIG Sockpuppets by doing so.

As Asylum’s LittleBitOfMadness rightfully noted, CIG had to have known this would create divisions — they had to have known — but they chose to do it anyway.

Is cash scarcity forcing desperate measures? Or is the “price of the brick going up”? The former seems frightening, the latter disheartening, and neither gives players cause for hope.

No one has sufficient inputs to construct an encouraging explanation. Everyone has different and mutually exclusive opinions about the way forward, and not just with respect to Warbonds:

On and on the arguments go. People who have long raved about the brilliance of CIG’s Marketing ignore their total failure to send coherent customer messaging that would prevent such divisions from ever taking root and flowering foul.

ThIs is their harvest after years of schizoid marketing by incompetent opportunists. There is no way to resolve all the contradictory narratives, promises, and “visions”. CIG has strong disincentives from even attempting to, for if they do they will only Balkanize their divided player base even further.

The leadership shrinks from the challenge to lead and all can see it. Chris, Sandi, Erin all have the power to resolve and clarify but they lack the will because clarity and decisiveness will only harm fundraising and hasten refunding attempts.

Even though Chris Roberts enjoys autocratic power over the enterprise, he is not free to truly lead it. He has enslaved himself and his company to the Fundraising and can not defy what it demands of him. This has been the case for years, yet was masked when income exceeded expense. That it no longer seems to has long been a subject of thread discussion, yet it was always rejected by the faithful. The very possibility was laughable, unthinkable.

The change in the Streamer discourse of late suggests it has finally become thinkable. And it’s probably no surprise that now that they’re actually thinking about, nobody’s actually laughing about it.

An amazing post and an amazing analysis. You always manage to up the standard! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
[--]G0RFisTYPING

https://i.imgur.com/wk560UR.gifv

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

dual echo chambers

what could go wrong?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

When even your strictly controlled safespace that ranks as one of the most closeminded subreddits in existence just isn't safe enough

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

What the hell is this

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mario death mask posted:

What the hell is this

WIP screenshot of Star Citizen's new look

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

History Comes Inside! posted:

What ever happened to grabby hands?

The game mechanic not the awful Canadian streamer guy

Talking about features that weren't created in the last 2 months is spreading FUD.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Latest episode of The Expanse?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

Maybe we could use Machine Based Learning and have it do the work for us.

What you don't know is that I'm really just a prototype SC AI, learning to be more human than human. Next I'm learning how to walk into a wall for 10 hours straight while moon walking.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Mario death mask posted:

What the hell is this

could be a message from the stimpire

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm very glad that Star Citizen is splintering into smaller, ravenous tribes

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Hell its about time. I never liked my solid skeleton

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Taintrunner posted:

I'm very glad that Star Citizen is splintering into smaller, ravenous tribes

Star Citizen: Lord of the Lies

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

A “thriving and living safe heaven”...

Man, that Hercules thing just keeps on Balkanizing... Well played, CIG!

12 days and 41 subscribers later, definitely looking good.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ManofManyAliases posted:

Latest episode of The Expanse?

Haha it was just being pointed out how badly Crist Robert, Director, probably wishes this were the case. Made doubly funny since it was originally just sideshit lore written for a vidjagame that went up in smoke but ended up being some of the most solid sci fy to hit the streets. Then the camera pans back to Croberts, triumphantly chestpounding over his 13,000 page script of player meets Pusher while Full Burn crackles over a rented PA system system that has a groundloop buzz.

HEL-MET! HEL-MET! HEL-MET!

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 21, 2018

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

12 days and 41 subscribers later, definitely looking good.

0.0000205% of the backers. The debacle debacle is a debacle.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I honestly thought this was a picture of a person who'd fallen through ice for a second.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

The Titanic posted:

What you don't know is that I'm really just a prototype SC AI, learning to be more human than human. Next I'm learning how to walk into a wall for 10 hours straight while moon walking.

Eh, beats the hell out of their old version. What was it called? "Sandi"?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bofast posted:

I backed it, as well, sadly

Not much is happening, so let's take a moment to remind ourselves what noted planet-snob Neil Degrasse Tyson is up to on their space game;

quote:

As we move into May, the Space Odyssey team is working with the SpaceCRAFT team in defining simulations that will become challenges within gameplay and will become some of the early game components available to demo.

The SpaceCRAFT platform is adapting further to allow for simulations that will fit the growing narrative of the core game to which some intriguing wrinkles have emerged. Beyond exploring and colonizing exoplanets in deep space, some additional mystery has been added, as well as application.

In addition to integrating NASA’s TRICK simulation environment and NASA/JPL’s SPICE toolkit with the unreal engine to accurately map, scale and generate accurate planets and their behavior, we are working on partnerships with some of the leaders in the tech and aerospace industry to expand the scope of prototype and innovation included within the game.

In-game challenges under development: These are rough renders teasing /suggesting – designs are placeholders.

Asteroids:

• Mining

• Base Activation / Satellite Outpost

• Navigating through asteroid field

These are very rough models at this stage, we are working on scope, scale and actualized movements.

https://ksr-video.imgix.net/assets/021/168/424/d5c10239abb2ca6f49ae8dcc9f2cb660_h264_high.mp4

Planetary Landing / Docking – or more specifically how will you first explore a planet:

• Piloting a Drone / Bot

• Land a Craft on the Planet’s surface

• Free Fall to the Planet’s surface (with an enhanced suit)

Establish / Customize a Space Lab:

• Space Walking is a part of the build process as you convert your ship into a floating space station.

This is a rough render of an orbiting space lab (Mars standing in for our exoplanet).

https://ksr-video.imgix.net/assets/021/168/537/299bc5540a5c350d6ac27b642e8a483f_h264_high.mp4

Working on a space walk render for week’s end.

This is a truncated update, the first of at least two this week. We will be back with more at week’s end.

Cheers!

This is the second update _this year_ for the project; Someone really likes lens flare.

Part two of this should have been posted a week ago, but was delayed due to 'rendering issues'.

Also, it's an infestation;

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 21, 2018

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
StarFighter Inc -

https://ksr-video.imgix.net/assets/021/110/256/79c6760132c744e1dea60ca95d863fa3_h264_high.mp4

Exo One -

https://ksr-video.imgix.net/assets/020/632/362/56201643c8092e6c28d70c0438821807_h264_high.mp4

Infinity: Battlescape -

No video, but it's in Beta June 15th, with a release at the end of the year.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: Calling All Devs - Capital Ship Navigation & Death of a Spaceman

Two especially thorny topics... let’s see how they handled them.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

G0RF posted:

Want to navigate a capital ship

"Okay, now point us at the green box on the HUD, put something heavy on the W key, and text me in six hours when we get there"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Foo Diddley posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etY7kbRRQ_c

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Foo Diddley posted:

"Okay, now point us at the green box on the HUD, put something heavy on the W key, and text me in six hours when we get there"

That's Battlecruiser 3000AD gameplay, surely.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hav posted:

That's Battlecruiser 3000AD gameplay, surely.

Not true--in Battlecruiser it only takes around ten minutes to cross a sector. Also I think throttle up is some kind of keychord instead of W

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

Interesting that the first video was Jens Lind. Currently most Europeans living in the UK don't know what's going to happen after the final Brexit, although as of last week, it was the spanish archer (Elbow).

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

The Titanic posted:

You are a lady, which is something that could never be learned in Star Citizen.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

The Abyss: The Movie: The Game looking good

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

G0RF posted:

What's with the vaguely religious sounding background music playing two chords over and over through the entire video?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

did they make a throwaway account to spam the main subreddit with their safer space?

lmbo

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O

Is this what it's like when someone is pretending to be a human?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Lol, Death of a Spaceman

Noooo! My Spaceman! :negative:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
He was a fine spaceman indeed

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
There are spaceboys and there are spacemen. Truly, he was the latter.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I for one am delighted about this new sub reddit and all the impotent in fighting it will produce. It's a sure fire 100% guaranteed road to self perpetuating comedy as one bunch of weapons grade imbeciles tries to out :smug: the other in an endless parade of 'our sub reddit is best' idiocy.
Thank you reddit for finally doing one thing right.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hav posted:

Interesting that the first video was Jens Lind. Currently most Europeans living in the UK don't know what's going to happen after the final Brexit, although as of last week, it was the spanish archer (Elbow).

Codo?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

To poorly use an obselete meme, yo dawg I herd u like safe spaces -

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
Every single one of us should be creating an alternative Star citizen reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nyast posted:

Every single one of us should be creating an alternative Star citizen reddit.

You're in one.