Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

mrmcd posted:

In STW, should I be slotting dupe and un-leveled schematics/survivors/heros, or recycling them? Some of the collection rewards seem quite good, but it's starting to feel like the curve is getting real steep and turning into a newb trap.

In addition to advice already given: do not get too invested in the collection book. Hero/Survivor/Schematic experience is the primary bottleneck for making things useful in STW and the collection book gives you very little compared to straight up recycling things. It does have a few skill points exclusive to it, so if you're seriously sitting on a huge pile of extra stuff, go for it, but it's seriously the worst way you can use your items at the moment.

Speaking of recycling: that's also inefficient! (assuming you don't need the secondary products from recycling like the specific upgrade tokens)

At a certain point you will unlock the ability to transform items. It works similarly to crafting in TF2 where you put a bunch of garbage in and get something random out. What the game doesn't tell you though is that transforming items also yields the experience you would have gotten from recycling those items in addition to the transformation output.

Essentially you can mash a bunch of random stuff into a transform schematic and get the XP from them, but also get an additional item out that you can use to fuel further transform chains. Transforms expend Research Point or "People" which you will passively get plenty of.

Your epics I would recommend saving for Legendary Transforms, if you really don't want them you can eventually transform them into a random legendary item whenever you happen across the proper schematic.

tl;dr the collection book is a terrible way to spend excess items unless you're whaling. I'm presently at level 80 something in it and regret every item I wasted slotting into it.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
As a side note to the transform tip, be aware that while you do get the full XP you would get from recycling, you don't get the manuals you need for evolution.

On that note, however, it's great to use your expeditions to pull people and survivors, then transform grey survivors into green, then green into blue for further transformations, or into weapons to recycle into schematic XP.

The collection book is definitely a trap once it's past level 30 or so. The costs go up too much and the rewards stop being great. Oooh, 2k schematic XP when I had to sink 4 purples into it to get it there!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
The new patch mentioned adding changes to help distinguish sounds made above and below you better, which is great because I usually have no loving clue where sound is coming from in multi level buildings. I haven’t been able to play much yet - does it help at all?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

SynthesisAlpha posted:

As a side note to the transform tip, be aware that while you do get the full XP you would get from recycling, you don't get the manuals you need for evolution.

On that note, however, it's great to use your expeditions to pull people and survivors, then transform grey survivors into green, then green into blue for further transformations, or into weapons to recycle into schematic XP.

The collection book is definitely a trap once it's past level 30 or so. The costs go up too much and the rewards stop being great. Oooh, 2k schematic XP when I had to sink 4 purples into it to get it there!

I'm approaching 200 on the book and can confirm: apart from the occasional massive evolution mat gift or now and again a troll llama, the book is a massive trap. Don't waste your stuff on it unless its an extra extra dupe and even then... No.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Looks like I got hit with people trying to access my account! A good reminder to turn in 2-factor...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I self selected myself to run the Showdown.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Goddamn the buffed c4 is amazing for destroying poo poo.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

*goes to a L19 mission with 4 L17-20 players*
*uses difficulty tower 4x*
*puts up half a dozen L1 wood walls around van*
*triggers attack, lose in about 3 minutes*

Never stop pubbin', pubbies.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Look, if the other guy doesn't have a weapon yet, let him live. What are you people loving animals?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Withnail posted:

Look, if the other guy doesn't have a weapon yet, let him live. What are you people loving animals?

he's got a pickaxe

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

mrmcd posted:

*goes to a L19 mission with 4 L17-20 players*
*uses difficulty tower 4x*
*puts up half a dozen L1 wood walls around van*
*triggers attack, lose in about 3 minutes*

Never stop pubbin', pubbies.

I build magnificent forts for them so this doesn't happen and pubbies always put wood walls on the kill box entryways and steal the materials from my BASE. Then they ask me if I have any guns I can give them. Or they start building tons of random nonsense with patrol wards everywhere putting the thing above item budget.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Withnail posted:

Hahahahah have fun with that mantra. This is a game about surviving and outliving your opponents. If I find you and you don't have a weapon but I do I'm going to guarantee that I outlive you every single time

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Same as killing someone who's knocked, you either use him as bait or just kill to get the guns/kill.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seditiar posted:

Same as killing someone who's knocked, you either use him as bait or just kill to get the guns/kill.

Or you just rush to kill them to ruin some party’s game because you’re dead already.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Withnail posted:

So that he can find a weapon and kill me 30 seconds later? I don't think so

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if i drop literally right next to someone in solos and get the roof weapon or attic chest first, i'll usually just emote at them and let them live, because it just feels like a dick move to kill them in that situation

if i see someone a decent ways into a round who doesn't have a weapon, i go "oh hey free kill" and ice them

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

if i drop literally right next to someone in solos and get the roof weapon or attic chest first, i'll usually just emote at them and let them live, because it just feels like a dick move to kill them in that situation

if i see someone a decent ways into a round who doesn't have a weapon, i go "oh hey free kill" and ice them

gently caress that, I kill them. If I'm the rear end in a top hat with no gun I either beat them up with my pickaxe, this will hopefully ensure the next person will kill them with ease or I might possibly get the kill (I've gotten a few in solos, many more in squads), or I dodge like a motherfucker if I'm in a good position to do so; running through houses, slamming doors in their face, faking them out around corners, all sorts of poo poo, often it will result in them either giving up or we run into someone else and they start fighting while I run away to get a gun.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MF_James posted:

gently caress that, I kill them. If I'm the rear end in a top hat with no gun I either beat them up with my pickaxe, this will hopefully ensure the next person will kill them with ease or I might possibly get the kill (I've gotten a few in solos, many more in squads), or I dodge like a motherfucker if I'm in a good position to do so; running through houses, slamming doors in their face, faking them out around corners, all sorts of poo poo, often it will result in them either giving up or we run into someone else and they start fighting while I run away to get a gun.

i mean this only ever happens to me in tilted so i feel like there's an understanding that we're both probably gonna get killed by some rando in a few seconds anyways. :shrug:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Shere posted:

I build magnificent forts for them so this doesn't happen and pubbies always put wood walls on the kill box entryways and steal the materials from my BASE. Then they ask me if I have any guns I can give them. Or they start building tons of random nonsense with patrol wards everywhere putting the thing above item budget.

My main fear is co-op is gonna be absolutely unplayable once it goes full f2p from trash pubbies and griefers. There's literally nothing stopping a single pants-on-head retarded player from ruining an entire mission for everyone else.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

mrmcd posted:

My main fear is co-op is gonna be absolutely unplayable once it goes full f2p from trash pubbies and griefers. There's literally nothing stopping a single pants-on-head retarded player from ruining an entire mission for everyone else.

I'm still in the second zone so maybe it gets worse at higher levels but I've found I can pretty much carry any mission so far. I just box a couple layers around the objective and upgrade it, maybe lay traps, then go loop around to refill mats while everyone else dicks around.

Then game time I just lay waste and end up with a higher combat score than the three pubbies combined because I move around and have my guns upgraded to the cap for the area's materials.

Unless someone punched the mission way too early I can't see even terrible pubbies sabotaging the mission with incompetence.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/epic-games-will-provide-100-000-000-for-fortnite-esports-tournament

epic investing 100 million earth dollars into fortnite esports prize pools this year. holy moley

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014
Welp... Time to alienate the rest of my friends and family to become a pro gamer :stare:

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

for Epic tho, 100M is about 1/2 of a month's earnings on FNBR skins alone.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

"SynthesisAlpha posted:

Unless someone punched the mission way too early I can't see even terrible pubbies sabotaging the mission with incompetence.

I've already seen people putting boxes around deployed turrets and destroying chests that are being opened in the two months I've been playing. It's going to happen.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I'm still in the second zone so maybe it gets worse at higher levels but I've found I can pretty much carry any mission so far. I just box a couple layers around the objective and upgrade it, maybe lay traps, then go loop around to refill mats while everyone else dicks around.

Then game time I just lay waste and end up with a higher combat score than the three pubbies combined because I move around and have my guns upgraded to the cap for the area's materials.

Yeah about midway through plankerton bad pubbies increasingly become an actual liability since you'll get more specials that can wreck forts, shifting storms and other situations that start requiring a single person to spend pretty close to a full inventory of resources protecting a fort if they're just trying for a cool fortress, rather than exploiting the AI for a killbox.
Idlers are less the problem there, and more the guys who don't pay attention to overhangs or block killbox pathing, or 3 dudes voting to crank up the difficulty then doing their own thing while you defend the fort.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
In what stretcth of the game is that active sabotage occurring? It takes a lot of play even to get out of Stonewood so I feel like anyone who puts enough time to get deep into the game is going to be a dumb helpless pubbie rather than an antagonistic douche. Especially because you always get partied so it's quite possible to get carried every match not realizing your grey guns and patrol wards aren't actually doing anything.

Also I mean, traps and turrets make up like 5% of an effective defense. You have to be really bad at the shooting aspect or have horrendously weak guns to even let them get to your traps.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I'm well into plankerton and had one guy who wouldn't let me complete the antenna survivor mission one night. Every time I built up to put the antenna down he'd just stand at the bottom and edit/destroy my bottom ramp. I've had assholes in other games too. Like a guy who was just horribly abusive in chat because I was trying to complete a storm chest mission before we started on the main mission. Or some dicks who demanded that we accelerate time in the 7 day defense missions or they'd leave. Despite not having enough time to build defenses around the generators. Probably a few others that I'm forgetting too. It's not often that happens though. Probably 90% of the games are fine. The trolls and assholes can quickly ruin a good mission. It sucks to be defending something only to realize that the other people who were there decided to sneak off and make you do it all. I'm shocked I haven't run across someone deliberately sabotaging a defense by editing out walls yet, but it's probably going to happen sooner or later.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I refuse to play Deliver the bomb missions now. Pubbies will continually break your track, and they can spam walls like crackhead BR players faster than you can take them down, meaning not only they can prevent the bomb from ever being delivered, they can literally trap you. Oh and of course they can just build a ton of switches on the track and redirect it all over the place (and the switches take you time to activate).

And that was before they came up with the knockback grenades, though blessedly those have to be grinded for in the missions, and at least you can use your own to keep pubbies away. Temporarily.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Can you effectively duo STW and not have to deal with pubbies at all?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

bonds0097 posted:

Yes.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

bonds0097 posted:

You can solo save the world if you want, it's just sloooooow and you're going to use a lot of traps and defenders. I don't think duoing will be too bad except for maps where you raise the difficulty or if they're four person maps. Pubbies aren't too bad at higher level, I've run into very few bad pubs in canny valley, maybe one negative interaction per week and I usually do 2-5 missions per evening. I figure the BR folks who hop over to StW for v-bucks and spend all day trying to scam people with "trades" will get bored before they make it that far.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I haven't come across a mission I couldn't handle solo with a good base setup. It really just comes down to your damage output. Can you kill husks fast enough y/n?

I actually use the default soldier you get (Rescue Trooper Ramirez) because she is super good with assault rifles and has grenade/shockwave/Gatling gun for skills. Fluxed her to orange and she's really strong. I only use traps when I'm low on inventory space or to deck out my storm shield base.

But yeah my point is (at least into level 35 missions) you can solo them as a competent player if your guns and stats are up to par. It can get a little hectic running from side to side but the most fun missions are the ones where you are under that kind of pressure.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Many of the changes done to the game recenly push people to be active and play the game. They are turning this around. Is going to be a game worth recomending in 2 months of less. Maybe.

I think e-sport are dumb and actually damage the games where the devs follow that gold rush. Suddenly quirky features are a no-no and games turn predictible and boring. Because pros don't want anything to be luck based, but predictible. Because they want to win against worse players always, and anything luck based may sometimes favour people with less skill.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I haven't come across a mission I couldn't handle solo with a good base setup. It really just comes down to your damage output. Can you kill husks fast enough y/n?

I actually use the default soldier you get (Rescue Trooper Ramirez) because she is super good with assault rifles and has grenade/shockwave/Gatling gun for skills. Fluxed her to orange and she's really strong. I only use traps when I'm low on inventory space or to deck out my storm shield base.

But yeah my point is (at least into level 35 missions) you can solo them as a competent player if your guns and stats are up to par. It can get a little hectic running from side to side but the most fun missions are the ones where you are under that kind of pressure.

yeah but there are also some mission types and modifiers that just weren't designed around playing solo.
Like rebuilding the bunker is rear end by yourself, and you wind up burning a full stack of materials, especially with shifting storm or say mini bosses.

I do think the game is easily duo'd though, and I've only seen maybe 2 active sabotagers, mostly just folks bumbling around or leeching.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Keep in mind that needing a credit card with at least $40 of credit left on it is a not insignificant filter at the moment.

Not that having 40 bucks and a bank account makes you not terrible at video games, but it does significantly limit those doing it for the lulz and litteral children.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

How does the double shotgun trick work these days? I thought they nerfed it to remove the advantage but I see every streamer with two blue pumps?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

tote up a bags posted:

How does the double shotgun trick work these days?

Same as it used to just with a longer delay between shots.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

tote up a bags posted:

How does the double shotgun trick work these days? I thought they nerfed it to remove the advantage but I see every streamer with two blue pumps?

Same as it did before. It's back!

I think they reverted the pump animation? Weapon switch delay is still there, but...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The only reason to double pump now is because the swap is slightly faster than pumping (maybe) but you still have to pump the first gun before you can fire it again. I know some people go pump+tac so that they can open with a harder hit from the pump then rely on the faster shots of a tac to finish the fight but my preferred setup is still AR/shotgun/sniper/launcher of some kind or grenades otherwise/healing item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
According to the leaks, this week requires 1 trap elimination, which sounds like some real bullshit considering they just nerfed trap damage.

You also need to hit the center of a storm circle 3 times in one match, which sounds like it's also going to be hell.