Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Radical posted:

you can actually modify your setting json file and set the scale larger than 100%. ive been doing this for years and they still haven't fixed it so i assume its working as designed (???)

its also possible they actually fixed it in the last year and i didnt notice my minimap got smaller but i dont think thats the case

yeah i just looked at the config folder and saw it was all numbers so ill play around with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
If you can't carry as ADC right now you suck tbh

Bot lane has been overpowered for more than a year now

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
csing is boring

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i should be able to kill anyone with my gun instantly based on the laws of nature and the fucktard ninjas mid shouldnt be able to kill me instantly with their non-guns

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i learned adc in the "4 man diving bot every 3 minutes" meta, and let me tell you: adc is better now than it has been to play in years. only season 2 had the role really be stronger, and that was mostly due to the role being unbalanced

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

i thought all goons prefer to bottom

I mean you aren't wrong but that seems a little risque for the LoL thread

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

fnox posted:

2) How to get good at Support
  • Learn your numbers, start with mana costs by level for all of your abilities, then move on to your total mana by level, then health, then offensive stats. This is the position that demands the most game knowledge from you to be effective.
  • Ward all the loving time. In soloq defensive wards are crucial, you can sometimes risk a deep ward but seriously just focus on warding your own jungle half the time. Ward right side when Dragon is about to be up, ward left side when it isn't and Baron is up. The key to always being stocked with wards is to recall often.
  • Stick around people, you need to soak up as much XP as possible without actually farming, and also the less time these drooling idiots spend alone the less likely they are to die. So just stay close to wherever everyone else is.
  • Understand power spikes. It's super crucial that you understand how far you are from the next level and how far the enemy is to their next level. You need to understand matchups and champions to understand where the advantages are, the key to winning lane is knowing when the opponent is the most vulnerable.
  • Don't give up.

I don’t think numbers memorization is necessary at all, and I think blindly sticking with your ADC is a classic newbie trap. Sometimes you need to ward or gank and be alone for a few seconds.

My support mission statement is always be doing something. Are you exerting pressure onto a lane? Are you getting vision? Are you bailing out your idiot jungler? Those are doing something. Are you standing in a 2v0 while your ADC farms for no reason other than leeching XP? You’re not doing anything. Go do something.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

pog boyfriend posted:

i learned adc in the "4 man diving bot every 3 minutes" meta, and let me tell you: adc is better now than it has been to play in years. only season 2 had the role really be stronger, and that was mostly due to the role being unbalanced

This

Botlane had a period where it was flat miserable to play during the Butt Party era. Nerfing the roam power of mid went a long way towards making it actually fun to play again, and these days ADC is pretty good. Really the only way it could be better is if the class as a whole was overpowered and that's both bad for the game and too much to ask.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

sometimes as a support who can do things like nami or whatever you need to abandon your dumpster fire of an ADC and see if you can win elsewhere on the map

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I have 5 more LP than scarra's main. lets go

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Did you do it playing full ap Nunu jungle though?

I thought not...

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

its curtains for Kevin posted:

What's that put you in, plat 3? This is a burn on Scarra not you God bless

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

The only real rule I follow when I'm bot is if we're fighting I am only going for the ADC. I want them dead asap and I'll only acknowledge the support as a target after.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
So I get the rule of thumb re focusing on a narrow hero pool. How narrow? Do I just need to worry about surviving a ban phase or be able to come out with counterpicks?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

duck trucker posted:

The only real rule I follow when I'm bot is if we're fighting I am only going for the ADC. I want them dead asap and I'll only acknowledge the support as a target after.

I don't think that's a good hard and fast rule to be honest

Target selection is really complicated and depends a lot on like cooldowns, champ ranges, stage of the game (I think some of supports are stronger at level 1 than the ADC), what health someone is on, etc

It's really hard to keep up with and I'm bad at it but tunneling on the ADC is gonna make you have some bad fights

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Every other ADC has a dash and if they're laning with Sona/Nami/etc, that support little poo poo explodes in about half a second.

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 21, 2018

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Erdricks posted:

So I get the rule of thumb re focusing on a narrow hero pool. How narrow? Do I just need to worry about surviving a ban phase or be able to come out with counterpicks?

counterpicks are useless 90% of the time. you can get around bad matchups by just playing better, and you are not going to play better if every game you check a spreadsheet to figure out what the most optimal counterpick is and jump on a guy you never touched before. pick stuff that you like, and play things you have not played before about 2-3 times until you decide if you like or dislike it(some characters you need less, for instance i was a fan of zoe almost immediately after i figured out how my ult and q worked together, some are slow builders like orianna where learning the flexibility takes time).

build champion pools organically starting from a narrow selection of staple picks. say, i like playing aggressive caster supports, so i am going to try picking up brand. or, i play a lot of ashe, and i like using my autos to zone people out, so i will pick caitlyn. stuff like that.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
wow! sona is good

strong bird
May 12, 2009

just pick nami

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Erdricks posted:

I'd get decent at 2-3 champs per role. It'd be great if you had different kinds of champs per role (preferably not all fighters for top) but it's not as neccesary.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Erdricks posted:

Find a champion or two you're comfortable with in the lanes you queue for and then learn to play the counters to those champions. It will help you in those matchups and if the other team picks your main you have a champion your comfortable playing that is a strong pick against them.

But mostly just make sure you can play some tanks because in low elo everyone wants to be the guy that blows up the other guy and the team that actually has a frontline usually wins.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Stefan Prodan posted:

I don't think that's a good hard and fast rule to be honest

Target selection is really complicated and depends a lot on like cooldowns, champ ranges, stage of the game (I think some of supports are stronger at level 1 than the ADC), what health someone is on, etc

It's really hard to keep up with and I'm bad at it but tunneling on the ADC is gonna make you have some bad fights

I'm not saying it's a hard 100% (and I should've said that initially). But it's better to set the ADC behind then the support. Now if their support puts herself out of position or you/your blitz gets a choice hook on them blow that fucker straight to hell.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

fnox posted:

[*]The way to properly tower dive depends a bit on who has the most cc, you or your laner, but generally you want one person diving and another one at the very edge of turret range. Generally you want to be on the outside so you can just let your laner dive, which means that you draw aggro first, then exit after taking 2/3 turret shots.

what you really want to look for in dives is to take ones that have a good chance of succeeding but cost the dived laner an enormous amount. looking for dives as a kill is wrong - look at them as an opportunity to deny them whatever's at their tower. its completely ok to go 1:1 in a dive if three waves of creeps die at the tower because you've cost them about as much as a kill in gold

that said, dont take dives that look like this. i screwed up everything except my e and it still didnt work

https://i.imgur.com/wsUhTBx.mp4

Slartibuttfest
Sep 20, 2014
I climbed from bronze 4 to gold 3 in two months playing support and I can safely say that Janna Nami and Lulu are very freelo right now. It’s scary how much heavy lifting you can do when you have one competent person to support.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Verviticus posted:

what you really want to look for in dives is to take ones that have a good chance of succeeding but cost the dived laner an enormous amount. looking for dives as a kill is wrong - look at them as an opportunity to deny them whatever's at their tower. its completely ok to go 1:1 in a dive if three waves of creeps die at the tower because you've cost them about as much as a kill in gold

that said, dont take dives that look like this. i screwed up everything except my e and it still didnt work

https://i.imgur.com/wsUhTBx.mp4

man you just destroyed my friend in that clip

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Slartibuttfest posted:

I climbed from bronze 4 to gold 3 in two months playing support and I can safely say that Janna Nami and Lulu are very freelo right now. It’s scary how much heavy lifting you can do when you have one competent person to support.

Tbh, those have been some of the best choices for years now. Congrats on your climb; that's quite an improvement.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

strong bird posted:

just pick nami

100% agree. Everyone says to pick Janna for freelo but I'm like the worlds worst Janna player and even I'm crushing it on Nami right now.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
I just want to get my daily intake of sodium and the confirm button is grayed out. Why can't I just feed mid without all this technical bullshit in the way.

fnox
May 19, 2013

That clip shows what I mean though, both dived in, and died. Had Ornn stayed at the edge of the turret's range applying CC, Rek'sai would have had enough health to kill and get away. Instead they both get damaged and stunned because they're both in proximity.

Sure it doesn't always work that way but it's a pretty consistent formula to not gently caress up a dive. One takes the aggro through CC, the other gets the kill. If even then it gets botched, the person taking aggro has a chance to escape.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

fnox posted:

That clip shows what I mean though, both dived in, and died. Had Ornn stayed at the edge of the turret's range applying CC, Rek'sai would have had enough health to kill and get away. Instead they both get damaged and stunned because they're both in proximity.

Sure it doesn't always work that way but it's a pretty consistent formula to not gently caress up a dive. One takes the aggro through CC, the other gets the kill. If even then it gets botched, the person taking aggro has a chance to escape.

well no, reksai would've just died when ornn deaggro'd. also i didnt stun ornn

the mistake they made was taking a dive without creeps for the approach (and diving irelia, dumb move in itself)

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Ornn needed to autoattack after committing to die for the kill by Eing in instead of uselessly walking away from his target inside 200 range autos and tiamat active and the tower after using his spells that way. Rek'sai needed to not cast E, Furious bite, to deal 110+170% bonus AD true damage to the melee minion that followed Ornn instead of the target, Irelia. The orders to deal unavoidable lethal damage were available and not used.

Also the Ornn didn't play around the Brittle debuff's increased knockup duration by 30%, instead he completely overlapped his E knockup with Reksai's. Its damage sucks and he already walked into W range so it was a wasted spell he could have saved to CC chain or maybe yeah to break tower aggro after the kill.

The teachable moment is when you dive an enemy make sure you cast spells and autoattack them down before you move on to the tower and minions, even though the tower may be doing more damage they are less mobile than most player controlled units and will never give chase. The default button to avoid this embarrassing mistake is ` (accent grave), which prevents targeting non-champions while held down.

Another thing I learned today was when you start the baron as Ezreal with the hot new double tear/hybrid build, since Muramana's unique passive on-hit Shock only applies to champions same as your W Essence Flux, you need to cast E on cooldown to complete the objective with any speed. Otherwise it gets interrupted and everyone dies.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bumping these, if you want to do Clash this weekend and are looking for a team there's a signup form here and the player list here. Also remember you need to at least have done your placements in ranked to play in Clash.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

slydingdoor posted:

` (accent grave), which prevents targeting non-champions while held down.

w..what?

I guess you learn something new every day. :corsair:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
the tilde key keeps you from til-taying on your dives

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Any good educational streamers?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

w..what?

I guess you learn something new every day. :corsair:

Even better, they added in the option to turn it into a toggle so that you can hit it once and then only be in champion targeting mode until disabled.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I’ve only watched his YouTubes not the stream, but MeNoHaxor is good if you wanna learn support.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Erdricks posted:

lohpally for support seems good.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Erdricks posted:

midbeast for mid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Erdricks posted:

SoloRenektonOnly for top lane in general and Jay Sea for Tryndamere. Jay Sea is doing a bronze to challenger series right now, so you get to see him on champs he is less than optimal on. Wave management is key in the northern lane that I dont see focused on from other youtubers/streamers and these two pound those lessons out on the regular. SoloRenek is really good at explaining skill rotations on each champ.