Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I suppose I can accept it if it's a Hammerhead Class starship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

Jean-Luc Peckard

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Make It Swole

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

To buffly go where no one has gone before.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
To seek out new gains, and flexing situations

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Double Agent posted:

Make It Swole

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i found a MAD magazine from 1983 today and i was captivated by the biting wit of this brilliant wrath of khan parody. check-ch-check-check-check-ch-check it out!!!

classic.

(these pics are legible on my phone so im assuming you can read it too but if you can't tell me and ill maybe do something about it)

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

If Beverly hadn't stopped that ghost candle guy would it have tried to gently caress Wesley since she never had a daughter?

the episode's plot is stolen from an Anne rice book about a family of witches with a family ghost named Lasher who bangs the poo poo out of them, generation after generation. they're mostly ladies, but for instance Oncle Julien Mayfair was a fella but Lasher hosed the poo poo out of him too.

so yes.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Uh, the universe is a spheroid region, 705m in diameter.

when i first got a phone that let me ask google stuff and i asked it what the nature of the universe was, i was positive it would give that reply and i was fucken crushed when it didn't happen :(

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Gatekeeper posted:

i found a MAD magazine from 1983 today and i was captivated by the biting wit of this brilliant wrath of khan parody. check-ch-check-check-check-ch-check it out!!!

(these pics are legible on my phone so im assuming you can read it too but if you can't tell me and ill maybe do something about it)

Oh god, I probably had that issue.

The artwork is legit though.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

nature6pk posted:

Did they ever explain why travelling at warp speeds doesn't incurr time dilation wrt General Relativity?

Or are we supposed to handwave that away and stare at Troi's huge, uh, eyelashes

Because when a ship is traveling at warp it incurs no momenum. Relative to its local spacetime it is stationary.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Applewhite posted:

That being said now I would really like to see a cgi “Clone Wars” type Star Trek series that’s more fun, lighthearted and optimistic than DSC.

I mean we already had a pretty good star trek cartoon on the cheap, CGI would lend itself to the budget aesthetic.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

those comics are such dogshit trash. someone posts scans of them occasionally in the other trek thread and the faces are (almost?) all clearly traced from screenshots of the actors. loving shameful

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I was aware of the "Worf Gets His Arse Kicked" complaint/trope/whatever before I started watching through TNG, and I was thinking "wow they do overstate this, he does alright for himself actually" but then he just got chumped 3 episodes in a row:
first, by Commander MacDuff
second when he got trapped in 10 forward with Keiko and her baby (again, this time as hostages) and got chumped by Evil Data
And now by a barrel (which actually wasn't as bouncy as what's fallen on Star Trek stuntmen in other episodes and VOY/DS9 even, I was pleased to see)

But yeah while fine, we're going get the Fallen Warrior thing this episode, I'm sure, and that's fine; and while it's well established that Data is stronger than Worf... there was no need for MacDuff to be stronger than him, and no need for Data to hate Worf (or for it to be Worf in 10-forward), and certsinly no need for those 3 episodes to be in a row.

But the best part is that Worf was flattened by a barrel and then treated by Dr. CRUSHER

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Actually didn't Worf's brother go suicidal? This is like that crossed with Paper Moon but Paper Moon was brilliant, while this is a very average episode

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edflm7Hh3hs

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Worf kinda was a joke on TNG, but pairing him with Jadzia was perfect on DS9 as she had no qualms about calling him a huge baby, and made Worf a much more nuanced character. If I had to guess, Michael Dorn probably found his time on DS9 much for fulfilling, at least in that professional, love of the acting craft way.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Also the first time that I recall Riker sitting down properly in a chair he could have stepped over, or otherwise have eased into crotch-ously, was when Ro Laren and Troi were chatting after he banged the Bajoran in the memory loss episode. It was a great piece of characterisation, to show his apprehension

e: lol Geordi needs to lose the loving beard

simplefish fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 21, 2018

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

simplefish posted:

I was aware of the "Worf Gets His Arse Kicked" complaint/trope/whatever before I started watching through TNG, and I was thinking "wow they do overstate this, he does alright for himself actually" but then he just got chumped 3 episodes in a row:
first, by Commander MacDuff
second when he got trapped in 10 forward with Keiko and her baby (again, this time as hostages) and got chumped by Evil Data
And now by a barrel (which actually wasn't as bouncy as what's fallen on Star Trek stuntmen in other episodes and VOY/DS9 even, I was pleased to see)

But yeah while fine, we're going get the Fallen Warrior thing this episode, I'm sure, and that's fine; and while it's well established that Data is stronger than Worf... there was no need for MacDuff to be stronger than him, and no need for Data to hate Worf (or for it to be Worf in 10-forward), and certsinly no need for those 3 episodes to be in a row.

But the best part is that Worf was flattened by a barrel and then treated by Dr. CRUSHER

Oh hello there Lieutenant, I am Dr Crusher, let's see what we can do for you today. Hmm says where your spine was crushed by a barrel.

Oh err please, feel free to call me Beverly, you've earned it.

revolther
May 27, 2008

sweet geek swag posted:

I think that comics are primarily a visual medium, and that the iconography associated with a given character or group is the most important part of their characterization. For example if you mention Batman and Robin the thing most people think about is the nipples on the batsuit. The storytelling in comics isn't necessarily good.

Star Trek is primarily a storytelling medium, so the visuals aren't as important. I mean you wouldn't give the Enterprise a square saucer, but variants on the visual design are fine as long as they fit the general aesthetic.
Just gonna chime in and say that as I childhood batman fan, when I thought Batman & Robin then, as well as now, I think of it as a huge disappointment because of the forced featuring of Bane and subsequent failure to follow the Bane storyline from the comics. The forced use of the "I will break you line" which signified the "death" of batman in the comics beings used just to twist the knife in fans. I feel like the critical response to the eventual movie that tried to do it right is evidence that a lot of fans felt this way, because Bane was HUGELY popular and was essentially a completely unknown villain to non comic readers.

The only people that think about "Nipples on the Suits" must have brains loaded entirely with clips from Entertainment Tonight.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I'll be honest I mostly think about nipples on suits.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Im watching ds9 now and Im not impressed?!?!?!

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I don't know which was worse, expecting the audience to immediately understand "Klingon=Ultra Badass" and then using the severity of the rear end beatings laid down on Worf as an indicator of the danger or the overcorrection from that turning Worf into the One-True-Klingon who is actually the biggest badass that had ever lived.

They retconned his bitchmade earth upbringing later on to say that he actually spent most of his youth on Kronos and how he was the most badass child that ever existed. I bet Michael Dorn was given more creative input once he was established as one of the top 5 main characters.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 21, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Haha, I'm watching All Good Things and when Picard is in the past and needs to speak to Young Skinny Riker they call him up to explain they won't have time to pick him up while diverting to the spacial anomaly, but they used a quick shot of Young Riker from the "Arsenal of Freedom" episode so he is standing in the jungle with that angry looking hologram pretending to be his friend over his shoulder.

This is like that binary star system they used in 3+ different episodes. Or that Nebula they recolored on Voyager for a half dozen episodes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

McGiggins posted:

I think the first season has a few stinkers early on as well.

Bashir is a creep. Sisko does a "If you weren't a woman [I'd hit you]". Lots of crap like that.

But it picks up.

This is like that binary star system they used in 3+ different episodes. Or that Nebula they recolored on Voyager for a half dozen episodes.

Yeah? They wanted a young Riker for the shot. Are you telling us you're just discovering TV budgets?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think my favorite WTF of a DS9 Episode two-parter has to be the extremely heavy handed 9/11 allegory... that was aired like a year before 9/11.

vyst posted:

See what happens when you let a woman drive? She throws you down a goddamn wormhole

Nothing will be funnier than the one and only time Troi took over the Enterprise, she lost a battle to a ship 1/100th it's size, slammed into a planet, and lost the ship.

I don't think it was the intention to make this a joke, but they actually hyped her being on the helm before the movie came out.

McGiggins posted:

1st season it doesn't know what it wants to be and is basically "TNG scripts TNG didn't use." 2nd season is better, but it's the 3rd season onward that truly makes it easily the best Trek related thing.

Unlike the other shows though it doesn't really forget, even before it gets way more serialized in the last few seasons, what happened in past episodes. It's really worth watching Season 1/2 which aren't horrible, just not really great - with a few exceptions, esp. the O'Brian episode where everyone is acting paranoid which could have been a standalone sci-fi movie easily.

The reason the 3rd season gets good is kind two fold: They amp up the serialization (later there's entire of straight up serialized episodes) with constantly advancing larger plots and way more episode-to-episode character development. That's what really sets the show apart from poo poo like TNG, where it hits the reset button every episode. Even on the one-offs, things that happen in them do in fact get remembered, which is kind of a rare thing for a TV show made in the 90s.

The second reason is they don't hold reverence over all this Star Trek ideology bullshit and even them on it. While other Trek shows are busy jerking themselves off over how enlightened their terrible ideas are ("The right thing to do is watch this planet explode and not save anyone, because we only will talk to you if you have warp drive, assholes!") DS9 is busy kind of burning them down or at least questioning them and when the rules are really wrong, they throw them in the garbage (in character I mean, not the writing). Ironically this also makes it far and away the least preachy of the Trek shows.

Also if you ever wanted a Trek where the Captain isn't going "don't return fire, don't hurt anybody, hit their engines" and instead will fire a full spread of torpedoes into an enemies face, well, DS9 also has that in spades from the 3rd season up. Sisko makes far more rational (but very non-Trek like) calls than any Star Trek captain.

ED: When Sisko shaves his head, poo poo has hit the fan.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zesty posted:

Bashir is a creep. Sisko does a "If you weren't a woman [I'd hit you]". Lots of crap like that.

I don't know if I'd say Bashir is a creep, as he's full himself and insufferable. Which to be fair, they were trying to make him full of himself and insufferable. He mellows out a lot and does get way better though.

That said, he does drag Garak into being a main cast member by the end so all is forgiven. Garak is just the best.

Haha, I'm watching All Good Things and when Picard is in the past and needs to speak to Young Skinny Riker they call him up to explain they won't have time to pick him up while diverting to the spacial anomaly, but they used a quick shot of Young Riker from the "Arsenal of Freedom" episode so he is standing in the jungle with that angry looking hologram pretending to be his friend over his shoulder.

It'd be funnier to think Riker purposely put a picture of himself being photobombed by an angry hologram in his record.

mods change my name posted:

Worf kinda was a joke on TNG, but pairing him with Jadzia was perfect on DS9 as she had no qualms about calling him a huge baby, and made Worf a much more nuanced character. If I had to guess, Michael Dorn probably found his time on DS9 much for fulfilling, at least in that professional, love of the acting craft way.

After 7 seasons of Worf going "Reasonable security thing," only to be told "NO! Let's do the insane suicidal thing, for diplomacy!" before he was beaten senseless his 4 seasons on DS9 were filled with him being told "Yes! Let's do the security thing! And if they try anything shoot them and keep shooting them until they are space dust."

I'm honestly surprised the character himself never called Picard and a dick in contrast, to be honest.

I don't know which was worse, expecting the audience to immediately understand "Klingon=Ultra Badass" and then using the severity of the rear end beatings laid down on Worf as an indicator of the danger or the overcorrection from that turning Worf into the One-True-Klingon who is actually the biggest badass that had ever lived.

They retconned his bitchmade earth upbringing later on to say that he actually spent most of his youth on Kronos and how he was the most badass child that ever existed. I bet Michael Dorn was given more creative input once he was established as one of the top 5 main characters.

He does get to be a legit badass on DS9 who actually can win a fight. I have no trouble seeing why the actor preferred it. Well legit badass fighting. Like you said, having someone to call him on his other bullshit was great.

I really like how they basically turned Worf into a huge nerd obsessed with a culture that turns out to not really live up to the expectation and acknowledged that by the end.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 21, 2018

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I'm st season two so we'll see then.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

simplefish posted:

Actually didn't Worf's brother go suicidal? This is like that crossed with Paper Moon but Paper Moon was brilliant, while this is a very average episode

That episode annoys me to this day. As a kid the suicide story bugged me a lot but so did the brother basically losing his identity. Then later on Worf joins Martok's house and it makes the brother's whole reasoning go away. And as an adult I hate that we got deprived of Tony Todd chewing more scenery on DS9. Just imagine a couple of episodes of Worf, Martok, and Kurn blowing up Jem'Hadar bugships and tell me that wouldn't have been fun. I understand Martok's actor reprising the role came up later as a kind of whim of the writing room thing but it sucks as a missed opportunity.

naem
May 29, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't know if I'd say Bashir is a creep, as he's full himself and insufferable. Which to be fair, they were trying to make him full of himself and insufferable. He mellows out a lot and does get way better though.

That said, he does drag Garak into being a main cast member by the end so all is forgiven. Garak is just the best.

It'd be funnier to think Riker purposely put a picture of himself being photobombed by an angry hologram in his record.

After 7 seasons of Worf going "Reasonable security thing," only to be told "NO! Let's do the insane suicidal thing, for diplomacy!" before he was beaten senseless his 4 seasons on DS9 were filled with him being told "Yes! Let's do the security thing! And if they try anything shoot them and keep shooting them until they are space dust."

I'm honestly surprised the character himself never called Picard and a dick in contrast, to be honest.

He does get to be a legit badass on DS9 who actually can win a fight. I have no trouble seeing why the actor preferred it. Well legit badass fighting. Like you said, having someone to call him on his other bullshit was great.

I really like how they basically turned Worf into a huge nerd obsessed with a culture that turns out to not really live up to the expectation and acknowledged that by the end.

Bashir as cocky young star fleet guy trying to bang alien chicks (and not realizing what a doof he is) is hilarious, then he grows as a character which is the opposite of Star Trek

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Bashir is still a bit of a creep in season 7 though, what with him hitting on that autistic comatose girl the second she gets cured so hard that she fakes being comatose again to get away from him.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Bashir is still a bit of a creep in season 7 though, what with him hitting on that autistic comatose girl the second she gets cured so hard that she fakes being comatose again to get away from him.

More of an anomaly to the character by that point though. Early seasons were quite consistent with how Bashir behaved which changed over time. That episode was kind of uncomfortably bad for that aspect.

naem
May 29, 2011

He grows as a character, he doesn't completely de-rikerize

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Gimbal lock posted:

What the hell happened to the old thread title "Star Trek: Boyardee"?! Put it back up you animals

I just occasionally report someone in the thread and ask a GBS mod to change the title to something I personally thought would be funny, then forget about the thread for months

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jean-Luc Abobo

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EvilTaytoMan posted:

To be fair he realizes he's a shitheel by the end and apologizes for it. It's not like they play this off as the right call.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

That last thread title was so apt. Voyager really is the $0.89 canned pasta of science fiction.

(And like Voyager, I know it's low-end but it still hits the spot sometimes.)

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's no biggie though, he just sees Bashir for monthly liver regeneration treatments and everything is fine.

Computer, create an adversary capable of defeating DTs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can I just add that the Dominion arc is one of the best war arcs I've seen on a show even though a lot of people hate it (i.e. Trekkies that hate awesome space action)

Largely because it starts barely a side-reference, then evolves into first contact, then early political maneuvering, then a cold war and finally a hot war that does in fact play out for two seasons, giving it time to feel like a war.

Like the slow-boil buildup and then prolonged payoff and actually good climax makes it one of the best "War is coming.." arcs on a TV show ever, where 99% of the time that means "In a season we'll have one battle." It delivers on what it builds up and makes all the maneuvering before that point worthwhile.