Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

There was more crap still to deploy in the middle there, too

e: This is the event model:

Living Image fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Generally speaking most cheats come off looking like sloppy play- it’s plausible deniability if the cheater gets called out by a particular opponent. It’s definitely taught as a warning sign to identifying potential cheaters in things like tournament MtG.

A common way to run the cheats in a tourney is to play fast and sloppy but “coincidentally” have the mistakes work out to your benefit, and then if your opponent calls a judge, play dumb and try to talk formal warnings down to informal cautions so your record of judge calls on you isn’t fully recorded.

Yeah, a loooong time ago I was an MTG judge, so all the thinkpieces on the judge list I read way back when are flooding back, and I think you’re right.

The wall jump was a classic “whoops I’ve been caught cheating, I’ll blather it out”, because I’m pretty sure it did end up almost exactly 8 inches from where it started, and I must just have been the first person to call him on the dread not being able to go through a solid wall. He also deployed his scouts three inches apart until i said “come on dude, that’s not 2 inches”.

It also makes sense why he got so angry and started implying I was rigging the rolls, because cheaters tend to assume everyone cheats, and they’re just “levelling the field” by doing what they do.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

BuffaloChicken posted:

PaintVagrant is back?? It's my ham dream come true!

At long last, the counts-as Grand Master Nemesis Dreadknight is done for my Grey Knights army of Squats. Really took my time painting it so it would be a suitable centerpiece.

I posted these WIP things long ago, but here they are again for reference. Original concept mocked up on Photoshop:

Mid-conversion, with beard template in place:

Ready for primer. The dumb idea here is that the the Squat on top reads the books, forges a lightning bolt-shaped "narrative," then loads it into the hopper so it can shoot out the cannon (canon). GET IT?

And here's the paint. Unfortunately I'm linking these photos from our Facebook group, so the image host quality is real low. Everything is sharper, more saturated, and has more contrast in real life.

The thick book has a hammer reminiscent of the rulebook cover, the thinner book says "CODEX SQUATS," and the open book has some things vaguely reminiscent of 8th edition datasheets.

The plant was fun to paint - reminds me of PaintVagrant's Tyranids from earlier in this post.

:pusheen:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Here's ADB's take

https://twitter.com/adembskibowden/status/998625815695908866?s=19

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

M'lasgun

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Corrode posted:

Nice custodes.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm really digging the character in that Cassius kill team I snagged on the cheap this weekend. Unfortunately I forgot to ask about the bases, especially the bike base :doh:

Oh well, I look forward to painting them, and the Imperial Fist with the frag cannon friggin rules.

The only downside is that they're sorta weird and disparate in a way that doesn't really gel. Lotta flamers, lotta melta, but the upside is there's a chaplain and a librarian, so that's nice.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Competitive40K.jpg

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Competitive40K.jpg

Thing is even if the terrain was painted itd still be poo poo.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Competitive40K.jpg

Like 2 of the top 10 were static gunlines, the rest were super fast, aggressive and mobile

Artum posted:

Thing is even if the terrain was painted itd still be poo poo.

Yep. I'd still have been annoyed at the TOs for putting that poo poo out even if it was "finished."

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

Like 2 of the top 10 were static gunlines, the rest were super fast, aggressive and mobile

I'm just loving around. I wouldn't know a competitive configuration if it summarily executed me.

Corrode posted:

Yep. I'd still have been annoyed at the TOs for putting that poo poo out even if it was "finished."

The stepped foamcore look is one of the most accessible ways of getting terrain quickly on the board. Unfortunately it also looks really terrible unless you spend time flocking, basing, and doing all the stuff that these guys clearly failed to do. And even then it runs the risk of still looking like stepped pieces of foamcore.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Current bigly progress

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Current bigly progress

Nice biglies. They look kinda like 30k world eaters.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Booley posted:

Nice biglies. They look kinda like 30k world eaters.

They do yeah. They're crimson fists but I find the normal crimson fists scheme to be boring.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

chutche2 posted:

They do yeah. They're crimson fists but I find the normal crimson fists scheme to be boring.

Primarch Geneseed: Angron Rogal Dorn

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Pedro Kantor is about as khornate as loyalist characters can get tbh. +1 attack to all models? Hell yeah.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Pedro Kantor is about as khornate as loyalist characters can get tbh. +1 attack to all models? Hell yeah.

Gabriel Seth is calling for you. He seems... angry.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Flesh Tearers are loyalists only as long as they're pointed in the correct direction.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Corrode, thanks for the great battle reports, just got my Dark Eldar out for the first time this edition, so it's cool to see how they fair.

Chaos blobs looked like a testing game.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The stepped foamcore look is one of the most accessible ways of getting terrain quickly on the board. Unfortunately it also looks really terrible unless you spend time flocking, basing, and doing all the stuff that these guys clearly failed to do. And even then it runs the risk of still looking like stepped pieces of foamcore.

No thats what im saying, even if they had it'd still look like a really lovely battlefield. It looks like the first map you make with a map maker for an rts.

That they elected to use that over GW giving them a load of poo poo to use is insane.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

panascope posted:

WARHAMMER ADVENTURES

Yeah I’m on the writing team for this, check out some of my ideas:

In this issue, little Jimmy, a latent psyker, is collected by the Imperium to join the eternal choir of the Astronomicon. Follow this fascinating adventure as a pre-pubescent child is forced into a coffin and sentenced to death to keep the Emperor's soul engine alive.

In next week's issue: Billy, a slave trainee in the starboard gun decks, joins the feud against the port side gunners. He has never seen sunlight.

The hive world of Sh'it Hole VII is home to our next character, Tommy. The son of a Genestealer Hybrid, this horrid monstrosity is forced to tunnel in pitch blackness underneath the imperial guard armory where his father will liberate several Baneblades. In six months he'll be fed directly to a Tyranid bio-ship and utterly forgotten. Don't forget to buy your Genestealer Hybrids kit on the Games Workshop website!

Little Sanjeev thought he had it all. A dilapidated hovel covered in mold, a 20 hour a day job building lasguns at ADEPTUS MECHANICUS LASGUN MANUFACTORY ZETA-NU 442.782. But one day he forgot to say the Canticle of Fastening before making the third sub-assembly required for a complete lasgun fabrication, and he's about to find out that being a servitor is harder than it looks.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

All Maximus wanted to do was grow up to be big and strong like his dad. He trained every day, following around the PDF troopers until he became a sort of mascot. He was a great shot, always cleaned his lasgun, and after his father passed in the line of duty he was considered for the Schola Progenium. On the day he was scheduled to ship out his organs were liquefied along with everyone else's when his home planet was virus bombed by order of Inquisitor Kryptman in preparation for the diversion of Hive Fleet Leviathan into the Ork Empire of Octarius.

When little Julia grew up, she was told over and over again about the glory of the God-Emperor of Mankind and the perversions of xenos filth. When her home world became friends with the strange gray aliens with the large robots she knew exactly what to do. Follow the adventures of Julia as she impotently resists the Greater Good and discovers the value of reeducation and summary execution.

As a baby Glort loved playing in the shores of the chem pools where his hovel was located deep inside the Underhive of Hive Primus. He fondly remembers the warmth of his father's tentacles as they tossed him in the air, or the soft touch of his mother's crab claw. Will Glort make friends with the new family of people with the red hoods that moved in next door, or will his unholy flesh be cleansed by the purifying fire of the Redemptionist Crusade? Purge your own mutants with Gang War IX!

Amelia was a bright child, the pride of the Planetary's Governor's family. Her father encourages her to study from the vast library that the family had accrued over countless generations. She was a prolific reader, always engrossing herself in the stories and pretty pictures. Follow along with Amelia as her naïve search for knowledge unwittingly tears a hole in the fabric of reality and condemns an entire solar system to damnation and the predations of Chaos!

Most menials have little to hope for, but plucky young Adam always dreamed of saving enough Thrones to buy his way into something greater. He had his heart set on one day escaping his chores at a noble house and seeking out an apprenticeship; if only the Tech Adepts saw what he could do they would whisk him away to Mars and perhaps he could work on machines! His dreams ended when he found himself between the Lord of the manor and the Eversor sent to purge the household for techno-heresy. Preorder Codex: Imperial Agents this weekend!

Just wanted to say these are all hilarious and amazing. Me and a friend of mine (who has a couple of kids who would legit dig the YA Warham books from BL) have been chuckling about them all day.

:five:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Corrode what are you thinking about coven wise?

I agree with your thoughts on hellions, but the reavers seem so valuable for T1 charges to lock up shooting.

The problem is they have to be cut if coven wants to enter the army because the core kabalite venom spam battalion is so drat efficient as is the Kabal of the black heart ravaged detachment.

I guess an elite detachment of coven with grots + DS could be good? Coven units are actually drat nice Ppw in cc, just need to get them there. And they need to do a lot to generate the same utility that T1 charge reavers would provide.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Venoms are ridiculously durable for a 75 point model that gets to carry 5 guys that can shoot out.

-1 to hit AND 5+ invulnerable with 6 wounds ... it's at the sweet spot of being good against everything.

Why can't Primaris be equivalently awesome!?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
The game is centered around shooting. I don't know why is suprises ppl castle t''''au are going to do so well especially after kner capping t1 strikes.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
My first crack at a deathwatch list. None of my poo poo is painted deathwatch which is a bummer, but it's not like primaris are expensive or hard to paint up. I've got a good bit of unpainted small marines including a vanguard and terminator squad who were going to be iron hands but lol ever fielding iron hands again outside of 30k.

Watch master

Primaris watch captain with auto bolt rifle + power sword

Squad with 5 intercessors and 5 hellblasters, standard rapid fire guns

Squad with 5 assault intercessor, 3 assault hellblasters, inceptor, aggressor

Squad with 6 vets (Shotgun + xenophase sword on sgt, 5 vets with storm bolters and chainswords)

6 vets (Shotgun + xenophase sword on sgt, heavy thunder hammer, black shield with hammer + shield, 2 with frag cannons, 1 with storm bolter and chainsword)

2 razorbacks (HK, storm bolter, one with twin AC one with twin las)

5 terminators (Assault cannon, 2 meltaguns, sword on the sgt, the rest are storm bolters and fists)

5 vanguard (Hammer + bolt pistol, heavy hammer, twin LC, 2x chainsword and storm shield)

Venerable dread with missile + lascannon

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 21, 2018

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

Venoms are ridiculously durable for a 75 point model that gets to carry 5 guys that can shoot out.

-1 to hit AND 5+ invulnerable with 6 wounds ... it's at the sweet spot of being good against everything.

Why can't Primaris be equivalently awesome!?

I still can't get over Mandrakes. From what I understand they've been trash for a long time but their utility as deep strikers is nasty as hell.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
hey guys I heard templates are back

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of any 32mm round base topper suppliers? I need 32mm, 40mm & 90mm rounds.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

BULBASAUR posted:

hey guys I heard templates are back

Tbh its getting to that point. Theres nothing i'd like more than to fire a classic demolisher cannon at the local dangle players firing square of 25 heavy hellblasters under a darkshroud and azrael.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Artum posted:

Tbh its getting to that point. Theres nothing i'd like more than to fire a classic demolisher cannon at the local dangle players firing square of 25 heavy hellblasters under a darkshroud and azrael.

This X 40,000

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The easy non-template way to replicate templates would be to have a standard Shots X option that scales with the size of the target unit.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Shockeh posted:

The easy non-template way to replicate templates would be to have a standard Shots X option that scales with the size of the target unit.
This, and I'm of the opinion that all the formerly template weapons based on d6 automatic hits should be 2d3 instead.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Units that are good at shooting play to mitigate things that stop them from shooting.

Clearly the game is ruined. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Improving formerly template weapons is still a good idea, within reason. Things like Battle Cannons and Heavy Flamers do not need help. All that would do is make the Imperial Parking lot the best thing in the game. Again.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
How hard is it to swap out Russ canons? I like the Metal Slug stumpy cannon look but Demolishers are garbage and I don't want WYSIWYG folks getting fussy when I tell them they're all standard Battle Canon.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Shockeh posted:

It's more about hitting multiple units than hitting one unit more times. It'd be nice if units took a fixed-ish number of hits still so you don't have to space models out anally but there was some element of hitting nearby units additionally to punish blobbing up like that.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Honestly I miss templates.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Vindicators are the handsomest paper weight. :smith:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Eifert Posting posted:

Vindicators are the handsomest paper weight. :smith:

I'm just gonna make an army of all Vindicators and Demolishers high fiving.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Artum posted:

It's more about hitting multiple units than hitting one unit more times. It'd be nice if units took a fixed-ish number of hits still so you don't have to space models out anally but there was some element of hitting nearby units additionally to punish blobbing up like that.

Units should have to count adjacent units' losses (within 3"?) when making Morale check.

Adjacent at the start of the shooting phase, maybe? At the start of the phase the losses happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Honestly I miss templates.

As much as I agree that there could be at least one more factor adding spice to gunlines to differentiate one gun from another, I'd really rather not go back to gameplay being single player, non-interactive lessons in geometry class for every movement phase trying to minimize the damage a template can do to each unit.