Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Thread title is perfect.

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
WINDOWS 10 IS KILLING HOME OWNERSHIP

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
My main home PC has had the 'restart/shutdown' and install updates message for a couple of week now, but the install never happens. Is there a simple way for me to reset this?

I tried using the update error checker program or whatever MS call it and it said it found and fixed errors with a corrupt database but the problem persisted.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm going to buck the trend here. My laptop (which wasn't used a tonne recently) has the new Insider previews on it.

I loving love it. While there's still rough edges (which obviously shouldn't be a thing) I feel like it's slowly feeling more complete. The new sound settings in the April update are super useful to me, Sets and Timeline are amazingly useful for what I do and syncing between my computers is brilliant.

I still think they need to dedicate a team to unifying the UI though. poo poo is ridiculous, even though I love the fluent design.

Unrelated, Sharemouse is loving awesome too. Super light app that lets me use one keyboard and mouse for my desktop and laptop. Awesome.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I just installed Win 10 Workstation out of curiosity.

It’s running max all-core turbo at all times. Actually 200MHz above spec. It’s not even a CPU with XFR, it’s a Haswell E3. :question:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Laslow posted:

I just installed Win 10 Workstation out of curiosity.

It’s running max all-core turbo at all times. Actually 200MHz above spec. It’s not even a CPU with XFR, it’s a Haswell E3. :question:

Hm, nice. I wonder if that can trivially be patched in to other versions.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Since this update:

DNS is apparently case sensitive:

:psyduck:

I'm only running one server on my home network, so I'm updating my putty session to uppercase and calling the problem solved.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Xik posted:

Since this update:

I'm only running one server on my home network, so I'm updating my putty session to uppercase and calling the problem solved.

Curiously, trying to ping my RPI3 (retropie) sees this issue, but my FreeNAS11 box and both W10 PCs don't seem to have the same issue when being pinged, any case will do for them.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

fishmech posted:

Are you able to otherwise get all the stuff you want to keep off of it? Because if you've already copied over everything you want, just go ahead and format the drive in Windows. It will wipe away any lingering permissions issues and you'll be free to use it for just storage.

The idea was to delete system folders (including Program Files) and move the big stuff like a bunch of recording sessions, video files, and games to a different folder on the root drive so I could obliterate the last remaining directories from the old Windows install. Since I'm going from a much larger OS drive, it wasn't possible to split everything between the SSD and my external hard drive in order to just format the drive, which would have indeed been the easy thing to do.

I ended up loving permissions up royally, so I just fresh installed Windows onto the SSD and deleted the remaining folders on the second drive by hand with Unlocker. Mild pain in the rear end, but I managed to do what I wanted to do and don't seem to have any lingering issues with folder access. I fully wiped the original Program Files folders so that Windows could create new ones while installing programs and apps that I don't need on the SSD. I sure did learn some things about file permissions and hierarchies yesterday though!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You could have done it by booting to system recovery's command line.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

redeyes posted:

You could have done it by booting to system recovery's command line.

I sure could have, which is what I was trying to do, but ultimately my combination of impatience and the fact that I haven't really kept up on my cmd-fu is what resulted in me accidentally setting everything to read-only in the process of trying to take ownership of things. My Windows install was still very new so it wasn't much work to reinstall.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So how many virtual desktops do you use?

Also don't do this.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Xik posted:

Since this update:

That looks more like a NetBIOS problem.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So my father installed the big update, and somehow ended up with 3 windows instances, a rollback, and two standard OSes. Both standard OSes throw an error about not being able to find the desktop, and basically nothing works.

I know this is vague, but I can't sit down to the machine itself, anyone seen anything like it?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

How is that regedit in a tabbed window? Mine isn't like that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You have to set the font to comic sans to get pro mode

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Yeah it's comic sans pro mode, but if you don't like comic sans :frogout: I think there are 3rd party programs that can do this sort of thing like https://www.stardock.com/products/groupy/

Also did you know there are now emoticons in the registry. Now we just to get some SA ones in there.

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\🌎🌏🌍

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

phosdex posted:

How is that regedit in a tabbed window? Mine isn't like that.

Insider builds of Windows have it as a feature, no need for Groupy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Should I keep deferring the April update or just let it install? It auto installed on my mother's machine and it seems ok for her? I dunno. All she does is Solitaire.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

ThermoPhysical posted:

Should I keep deferring the April update or just let it install? It auto installed on my mother's machine and it seems ok for her? I dunno. All she does is Solitaire.

I recommend updating when you're not in the middle of something. It took me a full day to unfuck my install, but now it's just peachy.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Avenging Dentist posted:

I recommend updating when you're not in the middle of something. It took me a full day to unfuck my install, but now it's just peachy.

What kind of things did you have to fix?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Less Fat Luke posted:

What kind of things did you have to fix?

My audio drivers got hosed up so that my mic was super quiet and barely picked up anything even if I was shouting into it. After uninstalling and reinstalling stuff a few times, it magically fixed itself, so I decided not to worry about why it broke and just be happy that it started working again.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently started using Mailspring instead of Outlook. The only problem I've noticed so far is something strange, and I'm not sure if it's Windows or Mailspring (probably the latter, but we'll see). My keyboard has media keys, and the email one always worked before for the email program I had, from Thunderbird to eM Client to Outlook. I've set Mailspring to my default email program, but now when I hit the email key I see a cmd window for a fraction of a second that has C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Mailspring\Update.exe in the title window. Any ideas what's going on and how to fix it?

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
I need a solid, working powershell script I can copy and paste into powershell to defuck a fresh install of Win10 (ya know, remove *ALL* the bloatware). The github repo one that's popular doesn't seem to clean all the latest garbage... Im always left having to manually remove Micky Mouse's Soda Crush Saga, Dolby Dicksound, Spotify or other annoying someshit... bonus points if the script turns off suggestion apps.

Anyone have a recommendation and/or link to a solid one that will purge all this poo poo?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Related to the above post. How much candy crush is included in a fresh install of Pro for workstations?

A poster helpfully mentioned they installed as enterprise, then changed to pro for workstations. Can I ask for some more info on what that changes, please? (Can it be done with one key?)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slayerjerman posted:

I need a solid, working powershell script I can copy and paste into powershell to defuck a fresh install of Win10 (ya know, remove *ALL* the bloatware). The github repo one that's popular doesn't seem to clean all the latest garbage... Im always left having to manually remove Micky Mouse's Soda Crush Saga, Dolby Dicksound, Spotify or other annoying someshit... bonus points if the script turns off suggestion apps.

Anyone have a recommendation and/or link to a solid one that will purge all this poo poo?
The easiest way is: get-appxpackage | out-gridview -passthru | remove-appxpackage

You have to tick things yourself so it's a little more manual than a script, but it doesn't require updating all the time.

If you have multiple user accounts then the best way is to run it as get-appxprovisionedpackage -online | out-gridview -passthru | remove-appxprovisionedpackage before setting up the accounts, and also nuke c:\users\default\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\shell\DefaultLayouts.xml - that last one will blow away the start menu for any new accounts so when they log in they only get Mail/Settings/Edge instead of a whole bunch of Candy Crush poo poo autodownloading.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

My audio drivers got hosed up so that my mic was super quiet and barely picked up anything even if I was shouting into it. After uninstalling and reinstalling stuff a few times, it magically fixed itself, so I decided not to worry about why it broke and just be happy that it started working again.

This kinda makes me think I should just wait...

Thanks though!

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
This update has hosed my headphones sound, if nothing is playing there's background noise that fades in over a few seconds, then when audio starts there's a click and the noise goes away.

It doesn't seem to happen with my speakers. My guess is that the amplified headphone port is an issue so it might be drivers.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Related to the above post. How much candy crush is included in a fresh install of Pro for workstations?

A poster helpfully mentioned they installed as enterprise, then changed to pro for workstations. Can I ask for some more info on what that changes, please? (Can it be done with one key?)

It can be changed with one key, yes. You will have to activate with your companies activation server as normal for Enterprise. Other than that, really only has new feature which is the Ultimate Performance Mode. Also supports more CPU cores, more memory, etc.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

:tipshat: Ty.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Xik posted:

Since this update:

thats NetBIOS and yeah its up to the other side to decide if it wants to reply. if that's some kind of *nix based appliance then its going to tell your request to gently caress off

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

Deviant posted:

So my father installed the big update, and somehow ended up with 3 windows instances, a rollback, and two standard OSes. Both standard OSes throw an error about not being able to find the desktop, and basically nothing works.

I know this is vague, but I can't sit down to the machine itself, anyone seen anything like it?

literally had this exact problem on my dad's computer today!
everything broke to such a degree that a full reinstall was the only thing that would fix it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is there a way to fix notifications ignoring the system volume setting? google isnt helping me and i can find posts from 2015 with the issue

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Im_Special posted:

Yeah it's comic sans pro mode, but if you don't like comic sans

I've been using mikachan for at least 15 years now and it's still the top font, beats comic sans and comes in monospace varieties to boot. :v:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Deviant posted:

Was the error an error box from "sihost.exe" saying "unknown hard error" ?
Because that's what I have, including multiple windows instances.

Relatedly, my recovery partition isn't collaborating and I don't have physical media for reinstall. Can I use the USB recovery option from another W10 PC? What are my options for a reinstall otherwise?

E: I've managed to start a full chkdsk though, waiting for the results

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 21, 2018

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Well I'm another victim of this windows update as well it looks like. I'm getting power state error BSODs and looking up what's causing it just shows the hardware abstraction layer being the culprit so that's useless, and my audio interface has suddenly stopped working so that's probably the cause. Worked perfectly fine before the update, however. I'm trying to at least get windows to recognise the device so I can uninstall the drivers and try getting it to work, but no matter what I do I just get nothing. Tellingly when I hit scan for hardware changes in device manager it just sits there scanning forever doing nothing and I have to force it closed with task manager.

My audio interface is kinda loving important so I'm kinda livid right now.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 21, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm glad now that my 1803 update errors out lol

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Omobono posted:

Was the error an error box from "sihost.exe" saying "unknown hard error" ?
Because that's what I have, including multiple windows instances.

Yes. He ended up doing a system restore.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Just grabbed my laptop to double check it's not a problem with the actual audio interface hardware itself, and nope, works fine. Drivers installed without a hitch and I'm getting audio out of it.

Except not on my desktop. I kinda need my audio interface to work on my desktop. Like a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd reinstall tbh.