Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of eternia is the 2d tales that symphonia steals like all of its plot from and just does way worse, and it's only like 20 hours long so it's a pretty easy game to burn through and it has a small cast so it doesn't outstretch itself at all

tales of the abyss is one of the best tales games ever and takes all of the stuff symphonia does gameplay-wise and does it a lot better, while having a more focused plot and a cast of characters who actually grow through the story, and it's also a lot better paced than symphonia though it's still like 45 hours long

tales of berseria is one of my favorite games ever and is about an angry lesbian going on a pirate journey to murder the pope. i played it for 100 hours and regret none of them

tales of graces f is a bigger mess writing-wise but it's got a really funny sense of humor and one of the main characters is a gruff old knight captain with a boomerang sword and he has a skit where he gets really excited about winning a free popsicle and he spends the entire last eight hours of the game screwing around with the prince while they go into the depths of an alien planet

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think there's an official thread for game analysis people but I wanted to give a shout-out to Innuendo Studios. I followed him initially for his excellent Life is Strange video but he really knows his stuff about everything in a really thoughtful way that most youtube critical theorists don't reach, yet doesn't seem to have a massive following. Maybe you will like him, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJcJevvWGP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGl12Sv9SNs

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I was wondering: is there any way to figure out the real audience for games these days?

It was simple when I was growing up: streaming/esports weren't a thing, so you would just look at the sales charts and that told you what the big games were. Now, though, I feel like the equation is game sales + streaming audiences. So, even though something like a new Zelda or Madden might have much bigger sales than most other titles and have a lot of active players, they occupy a smaller section of the gaming popular culture because nobody's streaming them so there're no "passive" players.

I can go to the Twitch directory and see that Fortnite is way ahead of the pack in viewers at 300k+ and that only League of Legends, PUBG, Dota 2, Overwatch, and Counterstrike top 50k. I'd extrapolate that to mean that Fortnite has well over a million regular viewers in a given week and that the other games would probably top out there.

Uncharted 4 has sold 10 million copies and I'm sure there're like five people who happen to be streaming it at this point. How do games like that stack up to the Twitch hits? What about something like Minecraft, which was in the "THIS IS THE GAME EVERY KID IS OBSESSED WITH" category that Fortnite now occupies just a couple of years ago, but that now has just a few thousand Twitch viewers. Tastes change, of course, but for a game like that or League of Legends, does a steep drop in viewership mean that there's also now barely anybody playing the game? I wonder how closely the playerbase for these games track with their viewerships.

This is admittedly a pretty meaningless question, but it's weird to me that there are all these games I've never played before (I don't even know what genre of game Dota is) but that I hear referenced constantly in the same way that I would've heard Final Fantasy or Mario talked about in the '90s. It certainly makes me feel out of touch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
is Warframe actually fun? i mean it's free right

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I got Symphonia and Baten Kaitos at the same time. Symphonia is really dumb but at least I enjoyed.

Baten Kaitos on the other hand was such an absolute fuckin disaster

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

tales of eternia is the 2d tales that symphonia steals like all of its plot from and just does way worse, and it's only like 20 hours long so it's a pretty easy game to burn through

tales of the abyss is one of the best tales games ever and takes all of the stuff symphonia does gameplay-wise and does it a lot better, while having a more focused plot and a cast of characters who actually grow through the story, and it's also a lot better paced than symphonia though it's still like 45 hours long

tales of berseria is one of my favorite games ever and is about an angry lesbian going on a pirate journey to murder the pope. i played it for 100 hours and regret none of them

tales of graces f is a bigger mess writing-wise but it's got a really funny sense of humor and one of the main characters is a gruff old knight captain with a boomerang sword

Tales of the Abyss has a rough beginning but is made up for it with the incredible snark of Jade. Once the main plot really gets going then the rest of the party helps carry the plot. That and the recurring villains in the game are the best lot in the series.

If you ever wanted to play as a berserker in a fighting game then Berseria and Velvet is the character for you.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

surf rock posted:

This is admittedly a pretty meaningless question, but it's weird to me that there are all these games I've never played before (I don't even know what genre of game Dota is) but that I hear referenced constantly in the same way that I would've heard Final Fantasy or Mario talked about in the '90s. It certainly makes me feel out of touch.

If you don't know what DOTA is or that it's part of the MOBA genre, then you are 100% out of touch with games. I haven't played a Blizzard game since the demo of Warcraft III and I still know what DOTA is, where it came from, and what the genre is generally speaking.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gaming is big enough these days to have a lot of different spheres. Plenty of games are immensely popular but entirely possible to see their players not at all being up with it into others.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

precision posted:

I find it fun. You don't have to spend any money to get anything out of it. Try it. What do you have to lose? Don't like it, uninstall.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

It's... kinda fun? The shooting and movement powers are acceptable and there's a tremendous variety of weapons and powers and builds and things. The grind is unbelievable though and since they've spent several years throwing every idea they had into it as fast as they could come up with them so it's a bit incoherent.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

haveblue posted:

It's... kinda fun? The shooting and movement powers are acceptable and there's a tremendous variety of weapons and powers and builds and things. The grind is unbelievable though and since they've spent several years throwing every idea they had into it as fast as they could come up with them so it's a bit incoherent.

Ok yeah, I agree. It's going to seem overwhelming at first but just play the game. Just shoot anybody that is shooting at you and you'll do fine. You'll pick up on stuff. I'm still getting to grips with everything. It's not something you absolutely HAVE to dedicate time to it. You can fire it up and zoom around blasting strange looking organic creatures and drop it. Come on by the thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585612

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Motto posted:

Gaming is big enough these days to have a lot of different spheres. Plenty of games are immensely popular but entirely possible to see their players not at all being up with it into others.

Rank the gaming spheres by amount of shame they should feel, at least according to op eds.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

chumbler posted:

Rank the gaming spheres by amount of shame they should feel, at least according to op eds.

Kirby is my favorite gaming sphere

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think there's an official thread for game analysis people but I wanted to give a shout-out to Innuendo Studios. I followed him initially for his excellent Life is Strange video but he really knows his stuff about everything in a really thoughtful way that most youtube critical theorists don't reach, yet doesn't seem to have a massive following. Maybe you will like him, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJcJevvWGP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGl12Sv9SNs
I still find it funny how the writers in TWD Season 2 purposely went out of their way trying to make Kenny the bad guy but completely screwed up and made him the most reasonable, fleshed out, and sympathetic character in the whole game among a gaggle of selfish, flat , stupid assholes. The ending I got where he sacrifices himself so Clem and Alvin Jr. could live in Wellington was genuinely powerful and made it worth playing an otherwise painfully mediocre game that was a huge step down from the first. Kenny was an rear end in a top hat and by the time of Season 2 is utterly broken, but when the chips were down he put others ahead of himself more often than not even when he hit rock bottom.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

precision posted:

Honestly, I think I'd hate it if I wasn't part of the Goon Clan. There's a lot of unexplained mechanics, and the early game is terribly balanced. But with goons informing you and showering you with good mods the learning curve is a lot better. And watching a high level goon use a Warframe you've never heard of in bright colors with ridiculous wings clear a map of all your problems is a good motivator for progression.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Skypie posted:

Symphonia is the only Tales game I've played

Play berseria

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nasgate posted:

Honestly, I think I'd hate it if I wasn't part of the Goon Clan. There's a lot of unexplained mechanics, and the early game is terribly balanced.

Yeah I tried to play it solo for a bit to see if I liked it and this stuff plus the FOV basically killed it for me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

precision posted:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If somebody is trying to recruit you for an MMO you should not trust what they have to say.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What I recall from when I played it a lot years ago is that the end goal is powering your frame up enough that you're kind of no longer having to play the game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Berseria is an incredible movie and mediocre to bad game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Magilou for the win.
I stop playing the game though because I got really bored of walking through the big maps.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish people would stop playing the Tales games. Atelier is better anime trash.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like the Trails anime trash.
Duvalie for the win.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Call me a normie but I love Final Fantasy

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They're all good, without weird irony.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Motto posted:

They're all good, without weird irony.
Nah, 6 is one of my all time favorites but Final Fantasy has some stinkers.

Shadow Hearts is like the only JRPG series I love as a whole instead of just a couple of entries.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 22, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
A lot of games these days aren't actually fun but rather a grind designed to trick your brain into releasing those satisfaction chemicals by watching your numbers go higher. You feel a sense of accomplishment from performing the same mindless stuff over and over until you realize how none of it actually matters and then the illusion is shattered.

Unrelated: My hand is starting to hurt when I try to draw and its making me upset :(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Internet Kraken posted:

A lot of games these days aren't actually fun but rather a grind designed to trick your brain into releasing those satisfaction chemicals by watching your numbers go higher. You feel a sense of accomplishment from performing the same mindless stuff over and over until you realize how none of it actually matters and then the illusion is shattered.

Unrelated: My hand is starting to hurt when I try to draw and its making me upset :(

But enough about jrpgs

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

But enough about jrpgs

Jrpgs are about watching my friends go on journeys and grow as people and I will not stand for them being lumped in with grind games, sir or madam.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
JRPG combat can get super grindy but at least the start of the genre had a significant focus on story and, most importantly, a defined end goal for the game.

That's the insidious part of all these modern grind games: they never end. They try to get you to play them as much as possible and build up an investment in them, which keeps you from wanting to abandon them. You just end up digging a deeper hole the more you play them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tales and Atelier games are both good anime trash

Berseria is good as hell

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

JRPG combat can get super grindy but at least the start of the genre had a significant focus on story and, most importantly, a defined end goal for the game.

That's the insidious part of all these modern grind games: they never end. They try to get you to play them as much as possible and build up an investment in them, which keeps you from wanting to abandon them. You just end up digging a deeper hole the more you play them.

Yeah Hyrule Warriors is awesome

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I like grind games. It's nice knowing there's still more stuff to do when I hit a dry spell of games or want to keep myself from spending money on a game I only kind of want to play.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Skypie posted:

I got Symphonia and Baten Kaitos at the same time. Symphonia is really dumb but at least I enjoyed.

Baten Kaitos on the other hand was such an absolute fuckin disaster

voice acting aside, Baten Kaitos is actually a much better game

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Baiten Kaitos has that claymation village so it's cool just for that.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

miles "tales" of symphonia

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my friend's favorite game was baeton kaitos and she let me borrow it and i never saw her again

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

Nah, 6 is one of my all time favorites but Final Fantasy has some stinkers.

Shadow Hearts is like the only JRPG series I love as a whole instead of just a couple of entries.

I meant the "trash" stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

I said come in! posted:

I wish people would stop playing the Tales games. Atelier is better anime trash.

they're almost entirely different games in every way

also most good jrpgs haven't been super grindy in like. a decade. final fantasy games hit you with some dumb grinds but most of the more recent games i've played it isn't really all that necessary. it's entirely a thing of the snes era of design and you'll mostly see it in games, that try to call back to snes era design

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 22, 2018

• Locked thread