Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Also hearing those songs next to each other shows that Gavin Rossdale makes Glenn Danzig look like a lyrical genius, which is just insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Southern Heel posted:

OK nerds I have a question for those of you who use loopers: how do you figure out a suitable progression/rhythm/etc. ? I've never managed to bridge the gap between chords with strum patterns, and riffs - so everything comes out sounding either like baby's first thrash song, or baby's first cowboy chord melody.

I mean, I know the theory behind things like I-IV-vii-V or whatever, but I can't seem to link them into anything beyond strumming chords.

You mean like writing your own stuff?

In a way it's just sorta something that organically occurs over time from either pure creativity or learning other people's songs and subconsciously aping them in your own way.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Play your favourite tunes backwards and steal the melodies. Captain Sensible from The Damned used to record advert jingles off the TV while he was hungover and play along until he came up with a sufficiently different melody. I used to have a radio on low in the next room at work so I couldn't quite hear all the tunes and then use fragments to work from and build into my own thing.

Some people can just come up with this stuff off the top of their head, and some people need all the help we can get.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

skooma512 posted:

My acoustic kept eating high Es when I would turn the tuning post down. I took it to get serviced but i haven’t stress tested it. In fact, when I get back home I’m going to tune it up and down a couple times to see

That sounds typical of a bad nut - easy fix though if you still have the problem.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Southern Heel posted:

OK nerds I have a question for those of you who use loopers: how do you figure out a suitable progression/rhythm/etc. ? I've never managed to bridge the gap between chords with strum patterns, and riffs - so everything comes out sounding either like baby's first thrash song, or baby's first cowboy chord melody.

I mean, I know the theory behind things like I-IV-vii-V or whatever, but I can't seem to link them into anything beyond strumming chords.

One thing you can do with a looper is play something really sparse (like maybe single chord strums), and then record another little bit on each pass, until it's built up into terrible noisesomething really cool. So you can try out little transition bits, ideas about moving to the next chord, playing something dissonant that'll only resolve on the last change, whatever you like. As you build up layers you'll probably get some interesting sounds and harmonies jumping out that weren't intentional, but now you've heard them you want them

It's a good way to experiment and build up an idea, and you can often strip all that back down to a single guitar part (or two) that you probably wouldn't have come up with if you set out to write it from nothing. Instead of using your usual technique and approach to come up with some music, and maybe falling into familiar patterns and limitations, you're starting with some music and trying to work out the technique to reproduce it as a single part, y'know? It breaks you out of your box

The other cool thing about adding little fractured pieces to a loop is you don't lock yourself into a particular rhythm pattern, so interesting stuff can appear as you go, and give you a rhythmic idea to lean into. It can be a strumming pattern for your chords or just phrasing that's unusual for you. But even if you're not building things up in bits like that, the looper forces you to listen to your playing, and you can only add not take away (unless you hit the "this sucks" button), so it's a great tool for developing your skills

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

In my experience writing with a looper and learning how to layer and get comfortable with playing over your own stuff is something you have to throw yourself headfirst into until you get it. Think as little as possible, try to get into the feel of it without worrying about the details.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

In my experience writing with a looper and learning how to layer and get comfortable with playing over your own stuff is something you have to throw yourself headfirst into until you get it. Think as little as possible, try to get into the feel of it without worrying about the details.

How goes that solo over the loop I made? I can always make one in a key you're familiar with.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK thanks for the tips guys, I'll just get on with it and post some results here .

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Southern Heel posted:

OK thanks for the tips guys, I'll just get on with it and post some results here .

You’ll get the hang of it :)

Spanish Manlove posted:

How goes that solo over the loop I made? I can always make one in a key you're familiar with.

I’m comfy with the key and scale now (thanks for the motivation!) I just have to stop being a lazy hoarder and get my iMac corner cleared and setup again lol

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I know this gets asked frequently but I can't seem to find it in search or in first posts for here or the home recording ( I may have even asked myself in here a long time ago ):

What program do you guys use to record VIDEO of yourself, on Win10?

I've got the AUDIO part down pat just fine w/ Reaper ( or as fine as I can be bothered ), and I know for the "best" video you record the audio/video separately and then merge them together, but I don't know what program to use for the VIDEO part.

I've tried using VirtualDub ( random sourceforge find that seemed well reviewed ) but I think it's maybe more for the "merge" part rather than the "capture" part - at least, I couldn't get it to capture in such a way the avi wasn't corrupted.

I've tried using YouTube Live and while the video is fine, even when setting the "microphone" to be my Scarlett ( with direct input from guitar ) the audio quality is warbly at best. I know the issue isn't the scarlett as it's fine when recording in Reaper/playing with Amplitube. The other problem with a "direct youtube capture" is that because it's getting the feed directly from the Scarlett, it's just the raw tone and no "amp" effects - but even with my acoustic the quality is still pretty poo poo.

I don't care about the quality of the video, but I DO care about the quality of the audio - as good as I can get it for YouTube usage anyway.

This all has comically come up because I had relatives visiting and of course during the tour they saw my guitars and were all "wow! we didn't know you played! play us something!" meanwhile my dad is in the background smiling and saying "Well, he may be more of a COLLECTOR than a player" ( THANKS DAD ). Never having played in front of anyone except my wife and my teacher, I naturally froze, started to hook up my guitar/amp and tweaking, their kids are running around, everyone is distracted, so I quickly grab the acoustic and totally butcher the first few bars of dust in the wind and want to die inside. That was 3 weeks ago and now I am on a mission to record myself playing, upload it to YouTube and then link it to my relatives to go "SEE! I CAN PLAY!!!"

It reminds me of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9428Pb-0wbQ

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I record myself on a separate camera and do the old 'clap' trick to line up the audio track of the audio recording with the video's audio in premiere/whatever - but I'm terrible in general so maybe not the best person to ask.

My big issue is nerves around people too, I think it's easy to give oneself alot of slack when playing solo because you can start over whenever you want, slowing down isn't a big issue, etc. - I hope that using the looper will help get me out of my comfort zone because it's played straight back at you - no excuses!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Buy a tiny cheap gorillapod ripoff tripod off amazon for about a tenner, and film using your phone? Use the clap technique mentioned above to help sync your audio to it, thats about the only thing I use (ok ok, remember) on a regular basis from my ancient film degree.

I used the phone on a tripod for video whilst recording into cubase to film a YouTube cover for a job application. I got the interview (but not the job cos i suck at interviews).

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 20, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I used to do the clap trick. Nowadays it is so, so much easier because I use my phone for video and my Zoom H6 as an audio interface, either direct in with an amp, mic’ed or a combo. You can also use the H6 as an audio interface for the computer. Just that alone was worth the money but it also being a 6 track portable recorder that comes with two very competent mic capsules (x/y and middle/sides) puts it over the top in terms of utility to dollars ratio.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
HD camera into a capture card on your computer is the best way.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

rio posted:

That sounds typical of a bad nut - easy fix though if you still have the problem.

It does ping and stick on the higher strings.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
For mixing audio and video into one stream get OBS. It's made for streaming on twitch but you can 'stream' to your local disk instead. It's open source but highly polished.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Ugh, I bought an amp. It's great, I love playing it, but now I want to record it and probably without using one SM57 or buying a zillion mics (there lies the path to poverty). Do I just buy a Suhr reactive load and be done with it?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Why not one 57? They're indestructible and plentiful, and you'd be amazed at the range of volumes it can handle, especially with a preamp. You could be set up for less than $100US if you buy both used, which is 25% the cost of the Suhr.

And if you don't like 57s, there are... alternatives. :getin:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Like a 58

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

After The War posted:

Why not one 57? They're indestructible and plentiful, and you'd be amazed at the range of volumes it can handle, especially with a preamp. You could be set up for less than $100US if you buy both used, which is 25% the cost of the Suhr.

And if you don't like 57s, there are... alternatives. :getin:
Cause I've got a 57 already and want to pair it with a C414 or an R121 or something. It's a dangerous path. Also my cab is a 4x12. Not exactly a late night friendly setup.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
In my opinion there is nothing better for recording a guitar cab for rock than a 57 or 58. If you're doing something a little more delicate fine throw a condenser mic on there too, whatever.

edit: snares too

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

rio posted:

Zoom H6

Do you happen to know if the H4 works well too? The wife and I are planning to do some youtube videos for covers. Also some gigging. I don't think the wedding band thing is going to be a high priority for her right now. We kind of have no idea where we'll be living in the next year (visa issues suck!) so we're just working on our own things.

Speaking of gigging, it'd just be her on vocals and me on acoustic guitar. I'm looking at possibly buying a Fishman Loudbox Mini for that purpose. Anyone use one of those? I'm not sure if we'd ever do busking so I don't know if the extra $150+ for the Mini Charge (battery powered) is worth it, but possibly also because the electric in this country is pretty terrible. Is 60w enough for like a small cafe kind of situation?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Anyone have a better spot other than craigslist or bandmix to look for musicians on the internet?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Baron von Eevl posted:

In my opinion there is nothing better for recording a guitar cab for rock than a 57 or 58. If you're doing something a little more delicate fine throw a condenser mic on there too, whatever.

edit: snares too

I don't know if it was just me but I also enjoyed pairing a 57 with a Sennheiser 421 for guitar amps.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Weird BIAS posted:

I don't know if it was just me but I also enjoyed pairing a 57 with a Sennheiser 421 for guitar amps.

Yeah, this is also acceptable.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Harton posted:

Anyone have a better spot other than craigslist or bandmix to look for musicians on the internet?

Local Facebook musicians groups?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah I’ve been trolling those as well. Me and a drummer are looking for a bass player and another guitar player. A lot harder with kids and jobs these days. Was hoping there was some magical website I was missing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's like tindr, but for musicians

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
If anyone cares, I ended up recording the audio with Reaper, the video with my phone ( akwardly propped up, a GorillaPod is pending ), and then merged them with something called "Animotica" that I found on the Microsoft Store. It works pretty well because that app is very basic in terms of interface, but also very frustrating because it will only shift within 15 hundredths of a second, so no matter what I do the audio is juuuuust slightly off with the video - either slightly too slow or too fast. Close enough I guess, at least for today. I started going down this rabbit-hole on sourceforge and started getting terrified of viruses and using lovely apps that don't support MP4 or will only convert between MKZ <-> MP4 and a million other hyper specific variations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Harton posted:

Yeah I’ve been trolling those as well. Me and a drummer are looking for a bass player and another guitar player. A lot harder with kids and jobs these days. Was hoping there was some magical website I was missing.

Where are you located? (fingers crossed)

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Northwest Indiana/South Chicago

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Yeah, probably a bit too much of a commute from DC/Baltimore... pity, because we're the exact opposite side of the predicament. (Well, I'm playing baritone instead of bass, but close enough, dammit.)

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
Got the same issue in Portland, but I'm also bad at finding people to play with wherever I live.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I just had the weirdest issue with what I assume was a bad string. Guitar had been strung for probably two or three months, but I hadn't touched or tuned up the guitar in a month. Tuned the guitar up to E Standard. Played a few licks that included a bend on the high e string, when suddenly the string kind felt like it popped and went out of tune. Except everything was still connected. So I tried to tune up about a half dozen times and every time I got just past D# the string would detune by at least a step to step and a half, sometimes more. Right around the time I was figuring that the tuner was messed up, the ball end of the string pops right off. Seems the winding on the ball end came loose with no actual snapping of the string.

I guess its good that it wasn't something that required me to buy a new tuning machine, but that is a first in my 6 plus years of playing.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah I think an open mic would probably be my best bet to find other musicians. They are all so late though and me and the drummer both work early. Not to mention justifying to the wife why I’m hanging out at a bar every week. That poo poo worked when I was 26 and didn’t have kids. It’s a totally different ballgame at 34, but I don’t wanna just give up hope of playing shows again. Even if it’s not every weekend, a show a month and 2 practices would be doable as long as I worked it out with the wife and greased the wheels a bit.

Gotta keep the dad rock dream alive!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Harton posted:

Yeah I think an open mic would probably be my best bet to find other musicians. They are all so late though and me and the drummer both work early. Not to mention justifying to the wife why I’m hanging out at a bar every week. That poo poo worked when I was 26 and didn’t have kids. It’s a totally different ballgame at 34, but I don’t wanna just give up hope of playing shows again. Even if it’s not every weekend, a show a month and 2 practices would be doable as long as I worked it out with the wife and greased the wheels a bit.

Gotta keep the dad rock dream alive!

Depends on the city and scene.

When I was living in Jackson, MS you could show up to a number of bars and just sit in with the band if you could keep up/knew how to play some standards. Over the years I've had situations before where I was just handed a guitar by a guy on stage to pick up something like Clapton/Cocaine or Funk 49.

I've since moved to Austin TX and there's no pick up scene as far as I can tell.

I've though of playing some solo shows with a looper/sampler/effects machine/laptop and etc but I dunno.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
It really helps to live close to somewhere with an active music scene. If there are smaller bands in your area that you really dig, try to catch a show. If they're cool, maybe they'll be down to hang out afterwards. But I hope you like staying out until 2am.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wear band/music shirts around and find some cool local guitar shops to pop into now and then. It works.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Helianthus Annuus posted:

It really helps to live close to somewhere with an active music scene. If there are smaller bands in your area that you really dig, try to catch a show. If they're cool, maybe they'll be down to hang out afterwards. But I hope you like staying out until 2am.

Other way round, go early when the bands are sitting around bored waiting for the show to start. I've spent a lot of time nursing beers and wishing for someone to talk to other than bandmates.

EDIT - And maybe I'll do that when I have a working car again. And the convention I help run is over. And the wedding. And work dies down. And... :smithicide:

After The War fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
do you have a band playing your wedding? bring the musicians to you!