Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I knew I should have gone with "For Love of the Game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I dunno about the f-bomb, but sure, Spider-Man would never - especially in times of great stress - threaten to kill anyone, right?

...oh wait, of course he would. What makes him awesome is that even when he feels ready to kill he finds himself always pulling back from that ledge at the last second, because his fundamental decency won't let him go there - not that he never approaches the ledge in the first place.

i really dont see electro killing gwen stacy but i mean i havent read the script so :shrug:

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
wait wait wait

what if...they made a wisecracking superhero who kills people?!?

I will make a vast fortune

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

I dunno about the f-bomb, but sure, Spider-Man would never - especially in times of great stress - threaten to kill anyone, right?

...oh wait, of course he would. What makes him awesome is that even when he feels ready to kill he finds himself always pulling back from that ledge at the last second, because his fundamental decency won't let him go there - not that he never approaches the ledge in the first place.

I agree with this now that I think about it, and many of the iconic Spider-Man moments-- and even a lot of prominent but less well executed ones-- hinge on him struggling to do what's good instead of what's impulsive and rash and immediately gratifying, like killing the Green Goblin, or humiliating Flash Thompson in front of the whole school, or giving up fighting crime, or, to descend into 90s ignominy, running around calling himself The Spider.

I like Spidey as an aspirational figure, somebody truly decent and empathetic, but I don't like to think of him as a choir boy or a saint. Part of the resonance of his origin is that he was somebody who-- probably in 2018 much more than in the 60s-- you could easily imagine using his newfound powers to be a selfish, awful, resentful bully. And what makes him work, especially paired with Steve Ditko's kind of sinister, creepy depiction of him in-costume, is that the impulse to blow off the Great Responsibility is always present. If you wanted to do a grand unified reading of PP's 50-odd year narrative you could say that he never quite nails the Responsibility thing-- flitting from job to job, never committing to one thing, well into his 30s (??). He's a bit of a flake and that's not something heroism irons out of him. What matters within the generic coordinates of the superhero story is where and how he chooses to exercise what limited affective resources he has to commit.

I think that's why the black costume is such a pervasive thing in adaptations. It offers us a Spider-Man that gives in to his id-- think of Tobey Maguire's goofy but compellingly libidinal portrayal, strutting and acting like an insufferable PUA, somebody revelling grotesquely in being more powerful than anyone else around him. It's what he would have become without the death of Uncle Ben-- a weird celebrity beating up people weaker than himself for cash. That that potential is inherent in his basic narrative schtick is what makes him an interesting and occasionally troubling character, that he so rarely gives in to it is what makes him a good superhero.

So, yeah-- I'm generally pretty uninterested in grim and gritty takes, especially wrt Spider-Man, but I definitely think that moment of him almost losing control after Gwen dies is a defining one, because he is so close to crossing a line, but doesn't. Similarly, I'd be pretty taken aback if some future reboot had him telling Aunt May to go suck poo poo or something, but especially as the sliding time-scale marches on it'll be downright unrealistic eventually to insist that Peter Parker would never ever even hypothetically exercise a potty mouth.

(that being said, there's a pretty adorable moment shortly before Gwen's death where she invites Peter out to "the R-rated flick of [his] choice," and tosses out I Am Curious (Yellow) as a suggestion, with a cutaway panel to Peter's shocked Gil Kane-face. 20 years later, there'll be a period-- I want to say this is mostly Michelenie?-- in which his domestic scenes with Mary Jane are laden with surprisingly frank and sort of PG-13-kinky innuendo, stopping short of editor's notes just reading "THIS GUY FUCKS"-- again, he's an adult.)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Are we really debating whether a hypothetical movie that doesn't exist is better than a good movie that does exist?

Anyway whatever. All-New Captain America Special:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Aunt May would absolutely beat Spider-Man to death for saying gently caress.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
like, if you wanna cherry pick the absolute nadir of peter's time as spider-man as an example of how pete acts on the reg go ahead but id like to compare that to how he acts in the other 600 issues of spider-man before i say that thats something that is "in tune" with his character on a general level

i havent read em all, maybe he does threaten people on a regular basis. but i cant say ive seen him do it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Archyduke posted:

I agree with this now that I think about it, and many of the iconic Spider-Man moments-- and even a lot of prominent but less well executed ones-- hinge on him struggling to do what's good instead of what's impulsive and rash and immediately gratifying, like killing the Green Goblin, or humiliating Flash Thompson in front of the whole school, or giving up fighting crime, or, to descend into 90s ignominy, running around calling himself The Spider.

I like Spidey as an aspirational figure, somebody truly decent and empathetic, but I don't like to think of him as a choir boy or a saint. Part of the resonance of his origin is that he was somebody who-- probably in 2018 much more than in the 60s-- you could easily imagine using his newfound powers to be a selfish, awful, resentful bully. And what makes him work, especially paired with Steve Ditko's kind of sinister, creepy depiction of him in-costume, is that the impulse to blow off the Great Responsibility is always present. If you wanted to do a grand unified reading of PP's 50-odd year narrative you could say that he never quite nails the Responsibility thing-- flitting from job to job, never committing to one thing, well into his 30s (??). He's a bit of a flake and that's not something heroism irons out of him. What matters within the generic coordinates of the superhero story is where and how he chooses to exercise what limited affective resources he has to commit.

I think that's why the black costume is such a pervasive thing in adaptations. It offers us a Spider-Man that gives in to his id-- think of Tobey Maguire's goofy but compellingly libidinal portrayal, strutting and acting like an insufferable PUA, somebody revelling grotesquely in being more powerful than anyone else around him. It's what he would have become without the death of Uncle Ben-- a weird celebrity beating up people weaker than himself for cash. That that potential is inherent in his basic narrative schtick is what makes him an interesting and occasionally troubling character, that he so rarely gives in to it is what makes him a good superhero.

So, yeah-- I'm generally pretty uninterested in grim and gritty takes, especially wrt Spider-Man, but I definitely think that moment of him almost losing control after Gwen dies is a defining one, because he is so close to crossing a line, but doesn't. Similarly, I'd be pretty taken aback if some future reboot had him telling Aunt May to go suck poo poo or something, but especially as the sliding time-scale marches on it'll be downright unrealistic eventually to insist that Peter Parker would never ever even hypothetically exercise a potty mouth.

(that being said, there's a pretty adorable moment shortly before Gwen's death where she invites Peter out to "the R-rated flick of [his] choice," and tosses out I Am Curious (Yellow) as a suggestion, with a cutaway panel to Peter's shocked Gil Kane-face. 20 years later, there'll be a period-- I want to say this is mostly Michelenie?-- in which his domestic scenes with Mary Jane are laden with surprisingly frank and sort of PG-13-kinky innuendo, stopping short of editor's notes just reading "THIS GUY FUCKS"-- again, he's an adult.)

Yeah, there was definitely some bondage poo poo going on with his webs and Mary Jane, maybe some Little Miss Muffet role playing.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Iceman's hookup decides to pay him a visit...

(Don't go around a supergroup's HQ unannounced. From Iceman #8)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

site posted:

like, if you wanna cherry pick the absolute nadir of peter's time as spider-man as an example of how pete acts on the reg go ahead but id like to compare that to how he acts in the other 600 issues of spider-man before i say that thats something that is "in tune" with his character on a general level

i havent read em all, maybe he does threaten people on a regular basis. but i cant say ive seen him do it

I mean, it's there, but a lot of the time in not very good stories-- I'm thinking of the 90s floundering period in between Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man and the end of the Clone Saga, when there were some pretty clumsy attempts to make Spidey fit in with the zeitgeist. McFarlane's version in particularly was violent and brutal in a way I've always found kind of gross-- not really losing his temper a lot so much as just being unpleasantly quick to threaten and hurt people to get what he wanted.

He's also a lot more hot-headed, vindictive, and quick to fight or revel in his strength in his very early appearances. Obviously this was pitched at a different level than the grosser excesses of the 90's stories-- it isn't like he was threatening to rip the Vulture's arms off or anything-- but in a lot of ways he was a much less pleasant and "friendly" character than he'd eventually become.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
One of the most famous Spider-Man stories was about Daredevil trying to keep Pete from killing Sin-Eater. There's quite a few times he has gotten close to killing someone because he's a person with crazy powers and lets his emotions get the best of him.

He still wouldn't say gently caress.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Push El Burrito posted:

One of the most famous Spider-Man stories was about Daredevil trying to keep Pete from killing Sin-Eater.

do you happen to know offhand what that story was called or the issue #s?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

I don't know the issue numbers offhand, but I think it's the Death of Jean DeWolfe arc.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

site posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_Jean_DeWolff

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cool i guess ill be reading that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

Aunt May would absolutely beat Spider-Man to death for saying gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixbH7eAg23g

Like seriously, we have a Spider-Man film where Aunt May's response is literally "what the gently caress." Why are people so hung up on the idea that Peter would never curse.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

site posted:

Probably in the Death of Jean DeWolff trade, I would assume ah gently caress I notice a bunch of people have already said that

Anyways, the whole point is that Spider-Man can threaten to kill, he can even believe himself capable of it; it's the fact that he doesn't go through with it that makes the dude a hero. But you don't get to actually see him pulling back from the act unless you see him edging up to it in the first place, which is why saying "if you think Spider-Man would say I'll kill you motherfucker I don't think you've ever read a Spidey book in your life" is singularly dumb. Of course he'd say it. He has to say it, so that the story can then show that he doesn't actually do it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

I wish these were actually collected--I got the trade they put out, but it only has a handful of issues in it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Peter Parker, also known as the popular superhero ‘Spider-Man’, is roughly 16-17 years old, meaning he was born in either 2001 or 2002. Contrary to popular belief, this place him firmly in the ‘Gen Z’ category, rather than the millennial category that many place him in. By extrapolating this information, we can conclude that Peter Parker not only knows what a furry is, but constantly has to grapple with the fact that his spider-centric identity is, in fact, his fursona. In this essay I will-

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I said this to my partner the first time she showed me that tweet, but what millennial isn't aware of what a furry is?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Next time he fights the Rhino, Ock or the Vulture its solved by a trip to a fur con.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Anyways, the whole point is that Spider-Man can threaten to kill, he can even believe himself capable of it; it's the fact that he doesn't go through with it that makes the dude a hero.
Spider-man has killed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

he's a spider-menace

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I kinda think that Spidey would say "gently caress" or "poo poo", but only directed towards himself. Like, if he was about to be hit by a fist the size of a small car, he might quietly say "Aw gently caress", or "Oh gently caress me". When talking to other people, or even about them, though, I don't think he'd go with that sort of thing. It just doesn't strike me as the type of thing he'd do; not consciously, just that he would automatically no go for insults or jibes that simple. He just doesn't seem like the type to drop an F-bomb for intensification when talking to someone else, only as the type of person to do it in a spur-of-the-moment self deprecating thing.

At least, that's how I see it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Vincent posted:

Iceman's hookup decides to pay him a visit...

(Don't go around a supergroup's HQ unannounced. From Iceman #8)

"My special friend" :rolleyes:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

Spider-man has killed.

So you're saying he committed Spider-cide?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

So you're saying he committed Spider-cide?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
HEY GUYS WHAT IF WE MADE AN EVEN EDGIER CLONE OF SPIDER-MAN

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well, i read the sin-eater arc, and i looked up the james cameron script and that line literally does come right after electro kills mj to screw with pete (he then brings her back to life) so im just gonna go ahead and eat my hat on this one

Synthbuttrange posted:

Peter Parker, also known as the popular superhero ‘Spider-Man’, is roughly 16-17 years old, meaning he was born in either 2001 or 2002. Contrary to popular belief, this place him firmly in the ‘Gen Z’ category, rather than the millennial category that many place him in. By extrapolating this information, we can conclude that Peter Parker not only knows what a furry is, but constantly has to grapple with the fact that his spider-centric identity is, in fact, his fursona. In this essay I will-

this ones true tho

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Joe Kelly wrote this amazing two part Spider-man/Deadpool story. And the main takeaway from it was having them fight was like having a comedian heckle another comedian. There entire routine goes out the window and they just end up in a race to the bottom of humour.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

mind the walrus posted:

Babs getting dissed hard

So this panel caused a bit if discussion back in March. I eventually found the T-shirt I got my brother which used the same art.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

TwoPair posted:

Anyway whatever. All-New Captain America Special:

Wow, I guess Anthony Mackie is devoted to keeping kayfabe.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

who're those jerks, some no-name inhumans that've been buried?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

who're those jerks, some no-name inhumans that've been buried?

Yeah basically. The one in red (he's a budget Johnny Storm) is on the All-New Secret Warriors but the rest seem to have been banished to character limbo. As someone who liked the Inhumans though, I personally find them to be good :colbert:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Rhyno posted:

HEY GUYS WHAT IF WE MADE AN EVEN EDGIER CLONE OF SPIDER-MAN

:stare:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So spidercide is literally just the T1000?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Samuringa posted:

"My special friend" :rolleyes:

Yeah, can't believe the editor let that phrase through. Just say boyfriend, or are they afraid Ike will burst into flames if they actually have them be for-reals gay and not 80's Very Special Episode gay.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Synthbuttrange posted:

So spidercide is literally just the T1000?

If the t-1000 was a teenager who thought he was hilarious, yes.

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, can't believe the editor let that phrase through. Just say boyfriend, or are they afraid Ike will burst into flames if they actually have them be for-reals gay and not 80's Very Special Episode gay.

I think Iceman just didn't want to pin down the seriousness of his relationship with a one night stand and it came out awkwardly. That's like the intentional joke of the text.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, that was Iceman being jokey, because the dude is a hookup and not his boyfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Also Colossus being basically a big metal dog is fun characterization