Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but what is your guys experience with overall durability of the galaxy s9? I got the slam lifeproof case and a 9h tempered glass screen protector and it feels about as sturdy as a commercial grade phone could be. Feels... strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm sure people here will buy one anyway and say it's great as long as you install xXxWeedGokuxXx's HitleROM 69.420

E: Regarding the Oneplus, not the Sarnsnug.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

I'm sure people here will buy one anyway and say it's great as long as you install xXxWeedGokuxXx's HitleROM 69.420

E: Regarding the Oneplus, not the Sarnsnug.

that rom owns pretty hard tbh

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Endless Mike posted:

The OS, specifically the fact that it's close to stock Android, is actually often cited as a benefit of Oneplus phones.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

The OS, specifically the fact that it's close to stock Android, is actually often cited as a benefit of Oneplus phones.

Yeah, major plus that it's shipping data back home, had a bug where you couldn't dial emergency services, couldn't stream HD content, etc. etc.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I still might buy one. I have using a USB c headphone dongle on my pixel 2

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

sleepwalkers posted:

Yeah, major plus that it's shipping data back home, had a bug where you couldn't dial emergency services, couldn't stream HD content, etc. etc.
Asus and Motorola also released phones that couldn't call emergency services in 2017 and 2018, Xiaomi phones (and probably many other Chinese phones) don't have Widevine L1, Samsung phones have adware

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
And this is why i went with an android one phone.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

vandalism posted:

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but what is your guys experience with overall durability of the galaxy s9? I got the slam lifeproof case and a 9h tempered glass screen protector and it feels about as sturdy as a commercial grade phone could be. Feels... strong.

I'm not one to drop my phone, but I should point out that one of the changes from the Galaxy S8 to the S9 was an increase in durability. It uses thicker glass and stronger steel.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yes, I read the articles about the OP6 this morning and I was thinking that maybe it's time to start recommending OnePlus phoens again.

On the other hand they've still been a shitshow fairly recently:

sleepwalkers posted:

On the other hand there's lots of companies who are poo poo at software:

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Asus and Motorola also released phones that couldn't call emergency services in 2017 and 2018, Xiaomi phones (and probably many other Chinese phones) don't have Widevine L1, Samsung phones have adware

Google doesn't escape from the "poo poo at software" problems either.

For me, what it comes down to is that Google updates their phones, so you can have a greater confidence with them that they're going to fix their poo poo.

If you need a cheap phone, you're probably best off with an Android One device...you're just a little less likely to get software fixes for hardware bugs than you would would be if it was a Google phone.

As of last night I was still flipping back and forth between a Nokia 6.1 or a Moto G6 for my father-in-law. I was leaning toward the G6 because it is slightly better hardware, but this morning I realized he doesn't need that hardware. Heck, he took 19 photos in the past 2 years and he has to ask me or my wife how to connect to wifi so he's not going to miss a better camera or a bit more speed.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

One issue on my 2XL running the P Beta is the phone app keeps flipping my Voicemail number from my actual phone number (which the phone uses to all Voicemail on Sprint) to *86 which does nothing of use except give me a error recording when called.

Not sure if it is after reboots or what, but it is a silly issue that it keeps flipping that number in settings on it's own ever since I upgraded to the Beta.

Outside of that things are still pretty solid. Also took me a second to find out how to do split screen again with P. you have to swipe up to the cards view, an tap on the app icon at the top to select split screen, then pick a 2nd app to split with. Not the most intuitive thing to switch from the long press of the old multitask button so I hope that they have some visual queue to let people know when they get the official update.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I really like the gestures on the OP6. Seem better thought out than what Google did in P. But that's only because I haven't used P yet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Wonder if there is any chance OnePlus will provide a stock p build after the beta is over.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

All smartphones are data-siphoning devices first and functional communication/computing devices second.

Still lol Oneplus.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sleepwalkers posted:

I have been told you shouldn't worry about data being sent back to China.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

docbeard posted:

All smartphones are data-siphoning devices first and functional communication/computing devices second.

Still lol Oneplus.

Sure, but you should be aware of that and make informed choices about who you'd rather share your data with.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Google Home's are so weird.

My daughter just asked "hey google, how do you spell Cincinnati". She's about 6 feet from a Home Mini and facing towards it. The Home Mini that is about 30 feet from her on a separate different floor and two rooms away answered her.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

My daughter just asked "hey google, how do you spell Cincinnati". She's about 6 feet from a Home Mini and facing towards it. The Home Mini that is about 30 feet from her on a separate different floor and two rooms away answered her.

It was trying to illustrate geographic distance.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I keep talking myself in circles on this. My Moto G first-gen (XT1034/Falcon) is spazzing out (on LineageOS 14.1), very laggy/slow to respond. It's only been about 6 months since I wiped it, but it feels like performance has deteriorated since then. There's almost nothing installed on it, so the fact that this phone only has 1 GB of RAM probably is the culprit, unless it's some weird JVM cache issue.The battery is also trash at this point, but I've gotten 4 years out of it.

Wouldn't mind a Moto Z Play with that 3-day battery life, but $350 is a bit steep for it, if I could get it for under $300 I'd be real tempted. A refurb Pixel XL would be nice, could get one for about $300 and having a good camera would be nice, but I'm leery about (a) burn-in on those OLED screens (b) the non-replaceable battery, and (c) the fact that OS updates are coming to an end fairly quickly here. I could also get something cheaper like a Moto E4 Plus, but I don't want to aim too low and get something that's still going to be lovely.

Ideal budget is $200-300, would maybe do up to $400 if there was something real special. I do want a microSD slot unless it's got 128GB internally. Needs to be unlocked, and an unlocked bootloader is a strong preference. A good low-light camera would be nice in a more expensive phone, otherwise decent battery life in a cheaper phone.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 21, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Our Amazon Echo (gen1) could pick up voices way better than our Google Home Minis or Google Home Max. It's kind of lovely, actually.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Geemer posted:

Mother Fucker.

My Nokia 7 plus didn't even come with Snake. I feel ripped off!

Gboard must be spying on me, because now Google went and added Snake to Play Games as a built in game. :tinfoil:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

I keep talking myself in circles on this. My Moto G first-gen (XT1034/Falcon) is spazzing out (on LineageOS 14.1), very laggy/slow to respond. It's only been about 6 months since I wiped it, but it feels like performance has deteriorated since then. There's almost nothing installed on it, so the fact that this phone only has 1 GB of RAM probably is the culprit, unless it's some weird JVM cache issue.The battery is also trash at this point, but I've gotten 4 years out of it.

Wouldn't mind a Moto Z Play with that 3-day battery life, but $350 is a bit steep for it, if I could get it for under $300 I'd be real tempted. A refurb Pixel XL would be nice, could get one for about $300 and having a good camera would be nice, but I'm leery about (a) burn-in on those OLED screens (b) the non-replaceable battery, and (c) the fact that OS updates are coming to an end fairly quickly here. I could also get something cheaper like a Moto E4 Plus, but I don't want to aim too low and get something that's still going to be lovely.

Ideal budget is $200-300, would maybe do up to $400 if there was something real special. I do want a microSD slot unless it's got 128GB internally. Needs to be unlocked, and an unlocked bootloader is a strong preference. A good low-light camera would be nice in a more expensive phone, otherwise decent battery life in a cheaper phone.

I think a Pixel XL is going to be the best you can do. It'll have longer updates than most anything else you could get new for $200-300, and if you're fine doing your own updating once Google gives up, it'll easily be the best in terms of ease and length of future updates. Camera and performance are still top notch, but I think you're right that burn in may be an issue, so get it somewhere reputable you could return a really badly burned in phone if that's what you get.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Thermopyle posted:

Maybe your daughter has an evil ghost twin.

Maybe the one who asked the question is the ghost!

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sourdough posted:

I think a Pixel XL is going to be the best you can do. It'll have longer updates than most anything else you could get new for $200-300, and if you're fine doing your own updating once Google gives up, it'll easily be the best in terms of ease and length of future updates. Camera and performance are still top notch, but I think you're right that burn in may be an issue, so get it somewhere reputable you could return a really badly burned in phone if that's what you get.

The Nokia 6.1 is $269 and will receive two years of of OS updates, as it is released under the Android One program.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

sourdough posted:

Pixel/Pixel XL actually have a locked bootloader, so no LineageOS or whatever.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pixel/Pixel XL actually have a locked bootloader, so no LineageOS or whatever.

Only the ones sold by/for Verizon have locked bootloaders.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

Pretty sure my Home would never be able to do this. It has a hard enough time responding to me when I'm in the same area ~20 feet away. It's also been doing this really lovely thing lately where it says it can't verify my voice when I try to add things to the grocery list.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I'm not sure I need to give a dang about Xiaomi phones in the US, but remind me why OnePlus' software is supposed to be a big plus if it's just as poo poo as everyone else's?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Anyone have the Huawei p20 pro? Any good?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Flashed the P developer preview on to the spare refurb pixel i just picked up on the Woot sale.

My impressions are...not good.

Oh, it's been stable so far, but every new addition is less baked than I would expect it to be this far out.

First, the blue. Well, I thought we got over this phase google?

Second, the gesture nav. It's almost good, but not quite. The back button is just tacked on as an afterthought. It offends my sense of symmetry. I don't know why they don't just do swipe left on the new home button. It seems like the logical choice. I do like the swipe right to cycle through apps and the quick swipe right to switch between the two most recent. It would take awhile to retrain myself to swipe up more to get to my app drawer.

I don't really like the new volume control. First, blue. No. I like that it is oriented properly with the buttons (seriously, how loving long google?) However, they took away the quick access to the other volumes and I really much preferred when the default slider was context sensitive depending on what app was in the foreground.

The quick toggle for the vibrate is interesting if awkward. However, I don't know why they only have it to toggle on instead of on/off or cycle through on/off/mute. You can bring up the button to cycle through all settings if you tap the volume, but then you end up changing the volume for media as well. It seems like there should be a way to bring up that toggle without changing the current state of volume. The button press quick toggle should pop up the button to cycle through the three ring options.

In all, I'm happy for the more under the hood changes, but most of the UI changes can be tossed as far as I'm concerned. I really can't see anything decent this cycle so far.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I really hope they just kill the back button in the final release, it seriously doesn't need to be there anymore.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I totally agree with and like the idea of sliding the home button left to go back, like you slide it right for quick app switch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Oh, and I forgot, the toggle shortcut works when the phone is locked. No, bad google. I don't want it turning to vibrate only in my pocket when I don't intend it to.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Pretty sure my Home would never be able to do this. It has a hard enough time responding to me when I'm in the same area ~20 feet away. It's also been doing this really lovely thing lately where it says it can't verify my voice when I try to add things to the grocery list.

Maybe you should retrain your voice model. I have six Homes in a very tiny house and I have Thermopyle's problem fairly often where a Home in a different room responds even though I'm right next to the one in the room I'm in. Super annoying when it's a timer you're trying to set since those are device-specific.

My wife has more problems than I do but she also frequently mumbles her wake words and structures her commands awkwardly. Even taking that into account however she doesn't have problems with authentication or word recognition if the Home is triggered at all.

Maybe it's different on a Mini.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Recently Google hosed with the Assistant so saying "set a timer for 9 o'clock" means a timer is set for 9 minutes which is real annoying. The voice recognition is parsing it as "set a timer for 9" (dropping the o'clock, which has always been the case as far as I can remember) but now it's defaulting to minutes instead of targeting the given hour.

I can work around it by saying AM/PM but I shouldn't need to rework my conversational patterns, dammit. :argh:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

isndl posted:

I shouldn't need to rework my conversational patterns, dammit. :argh:

That's the greatest hustle of the machine learning business, the humans learn too and adapt their behavior to make it work better.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

isndl posted:

Recently Google hosed with the Assistant so saying "set a timer for 9 o'clock" means a timer is set for 9 minutes which is real annoying. The voice recognition is parsing it as "set a timer for 9" (dropping the o'clock, which has always been the case as far as I can remember) but now it's defaulting to minutes instead of targeting the given hour.

I can work around it by saying AM/PM but I shouldn't need to rework my conversational patterns, dammit. :argh:

What you want is an alarm not a timer. Timers count down, alarms are for a certain time and Google Assistant has always worked this way. You can say "Set a timer until 9 o'clock" but it still counts down and will in fact say so in it's response ("Setting a timer for 3 hours, twelve minutes, and forty-eight seconds.").

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

That's the greatest hustle of the machine learning business, the humans learn too and adapt their behavior to make it work better.

Soon, we'll be speaking in Reverse Polish notation.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Maybe you should retrain your voice model. I have six Homes in a very tiny house and I have Thermopyle's problem fairly often where a Home in a different room responds even though I'm right next to the one in the room I'm in. Super annoying when it's a timer you're trying to set since those are device-specific.

My wife has more problems than I do but she also frequently mumbles her wake words and structures her commands awkwardly. Even taking that into account however she doesn't have problems with authentication or word recognition if the Home is triggered at all.

Maybe it's different on a Mini.

I've retrained it twice now (no problems since the second time a few days ago). I want to say the Home has more trouble than my phone, so maybe it depends on which device decides to receive the command, but I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

LastInLine posted:

What you want is an alarm not a timer. Timers count down, alarms are for a certain time and Google Assistant has always worked this way. You can say "Set a timer until 9 o'clock" but it still counts down and will in fact say so in it's response ("Setting a timer for 3 hours, twelve minutes, and forty-eight seconds.").

Except I'd been using that exact quote and it'd been working fine for at least a year prior? I want a timer because it's a one-off thing and I don't want it cluttering my list of regular alarms, and I want the default timer ring instead of the alarm ring. There are workarounds ("set a timer for 9 pm") but that wasn't previously necessary, and your example of "set a timer until 9 o'clock" actually doesn't work: I just tried it and Google asks "sure, how long?".