Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Tell us more of your alcoholic dino-guys.

He never forgot the day he mouthed off to one of the older paleontologists who proceeded to threaten him with a velociraptor claw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

It's more that Jack Horner kind of a douchebag when sober (I know this from firsthand experience), and gets extra sexist and a little racist when drunk (I've heard this from several people)!

Really, it comes down to that the reality of a dig site is that it's in the plains of eastern Montana, in the summer, where you're at least an hour's drive from the nearest town. And "town" is being generous. There are bars out there that will close because the owner/bartender/cook has the flu and there's nobody else. There's nothing to do but dig (with hand tools and sometimes brushes!) at an incredibly slow pace, drink, and gently caress. And they do it on like 3 week rotations, and that's your ENTIRE LIFE while you're out there.

I'm pretty sure forcing somebody to do that would be against some convention somewhere, but when people volunteer, it's fine. It just tends to make people crazy.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Man, is there any problem an AK47 can't solve?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Capitalism.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

CSB chairperson resigning

Hope they still make the.videos

I'm sure Trump will replace him with some person who's spent the last ten years lobbying to destroy that exact agency. No one better to guard the hen house than a fox.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Imagined posted:

I'm sure Trump will replace him with some person who's spent the last ten years lobbying to destroy that exact agency. No one better to guard the hen house than a fox.

Don Blankenship.

All future CSB videos will be narrated by him personally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90eBqWRGEDM&t=20s

including refering to the employees as chinapeople and mexicopeople

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

this guy is a fuckin citizen

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Relentless posted:

It's more that Jack Horner kind of a douchebag when sober (I know this from firsthand experience), and gets extra sexist and a little racist when drunk (I've heard this from several people)!

Really, it comes down to that the reality of a dig site is that it's in the plains of eastern Montana, in the summer, where you're at least an hour's drive from the nearest town. And "town" is being generous. There are bars out there that will close because the owner/bartender/cook has the flu and there's nobody else. There's nothing to do but dig (with hand tools and sometimes brushes!) at an incredibly slow pace, drink, and gently caress. And they do it on like 3 week rotations, and that's your ENTIRE LIFE while you're out there.

I'm pretty sure forcing somebody to do that would be against some convention somewhere, but when people volunteer, it's fine. It just tends to make people crazy.

My favorite Jack Horner related story was a friend of ours who was in the paleontology program at Montana State when Jurassic Park 3 premiered in Bozeman. The department got free passes, and afterward, said friend was drinking with one of the producers.

"What did you think?" asked the producer.

"Well," friend said, choosing her words carefully. "It was short?"

The producer sighed and said, "That's the only nice thing I could think to say about it, too."

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Powershift posted:

Don Blankenship.

All future CSB videos will be narrated by him personally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90eBqWRGEDM&t=20s

including refering to the employees as chinapeople and mexicopeople

That is exactly the kind of person Trump would pick to run an agency like that. :psyduck: You joke but now I'm scared to read the paper tomorrow.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Azhais posted:

Man, is there any problem a 22R-E can't solve?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I hope after this ends, the person just turns around and walks back from where they came from. NOPE.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Imagined posted:

That is exactly the kind of person Trump would pick to run an agency like that. :psyduck: You joke but now I'm scared to read the paper tomorrow.

He’s not going to run the CSB.

He’ll be too busy running the MSHA.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

MisterOblivious posted:

It might be, it does look larger than it was a few days ago, but don't trust chat. 350ft would be a freefall of 4.75 seconds. I'm clocking it closer to 175ft.

Just a heads up: 4chan quite active in the chat. They do have a nice information directory though: http://happdir.com/KVG/kvgdir.html

Community eruption map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?hl=en&mid=1CvBhH9wEeztBrqYbsGDi4YjU1k1QH5AL&ll=19.47863521634182%2C-154.8763683794274&z=15

Someone with a blue name (moderator?) in the stream said that.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
"Welp, guess we live here now."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Knock a hole in each end, it's a covered bridge now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"What a weird bridge... huh? Oh. OH."

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Was the entire weight concentrated on four short axles?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

SelenicMartian posted:

I think they are using these specialized dollies made for moving buildings. They are smaller, individual units (so no axle running underneath to another set of wheels) that are placed under the building after it's jacked up. Sometimes they're powered, sometimes they just coast along with the truck pulling the house. You can see some on the fallen bridge span in the last photo. They may have had more up front/out back, but looking at pictures online it seems like sometimes they just put them at the middle of the house.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Yeah, it looks like it was only balanced around the middle (to save on dollies?), and when they all got to the centre of the bridge it cracked.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Powershift posted:

Knock a hole in each end, it's a covered bridge now.
When I saw the first picture I first thought it WAS a covered bridge that the bottom had fallen out of and we were looking at the wheels of a trailer dangling through the hole. Then I realized that covered bridges typically don't have glass windows. :downs:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Look at the second picture. You can see other of those wheeled supports mixed in with the collapsed bridge.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Groverhaus Roadshow

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

tardwrangler posted:

Groverhaus Roadshow

Idgi

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's like a roadshow version of Groverhaus.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Detective Thompson posted:

"Welp, guess we live here now."

Welp is such a great word.

Does anyone remember an olde photograph of a man standing in front of a steam train crash with his hands on his hips and the train is somehow standing on it's front sticking up in the air?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Not that exact image, but could you be talking about the Montparnasse derailment?

The locomotive stayed there for a few days after the accident and there were tons of pictures taken of it.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

tardwrangler posted:

Groverhaus Roadshow

by my quick count that's nine different types of windows

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Prav posted:

by my quick count that's nine different types of windows

Zero propane grills pushed up against vinyl siding.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I wonder if those steps are insulated.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

IPCRESS posted:

Zero propane grills pushed up against vinyl siding.

It's floating down the river

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
that battery's probably shot

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

that battery's probably shot

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

Welp is such a great word.

Does anyone remember an olde photograph of a man standing in front of a steam train crash with his hands on his hips and the train is somehow standing on it's front sticking up in the air?

One of our MilGoons has a similar picture where a tank threw a tread or flipped or something in Iraq and he's just standing there with the biggest "well gently caress me" grin. I forget who though.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Taking an escalator in China.

https://i.imgur.com/BpdymcL.mp4

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

THE LANDING PAD IS LAVA

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

At this point I don't blame them

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://i.imgur.com/I0s2D9P.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That time some 19th century texan Vince McMahon staged a monster truck rally for locomotives and sold 40,000 tickets without taking into account boiler explosions