Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

It's a start, but you need to go bigger.

:haw:

pshh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The Rat posted:

:toot:

The Volquartsen trigger kit makes it a slick 1.5lb break. Kind of mind blowing. The only thing I'm not entirely happy with is the sights. The rear notch is pretty narrow and they're just flat black, not really eye catching. Debating various iron sight options or if I should go whole hog and put a red dot on the railz.

Vortex or Aimpoint Micro.

How long does AIM Surplus usually take to ship guns? I ordered a $280 S&W Model 10 which should be :krad:

Hopefully the finish isn't too rusty and I can clean it up a bit.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

You must have missed my follow up post :v:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Put an Elcan on it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

"Don't try to build an AR10," they said.
"They're way more finicky than AR15s," they said.

Unfortunately, they were right. This build took significantly more troubleshooting than any AR15 I've ever built. Had the idea for a 308 battle rifle and this is what happened.

Current parts list:
Aero M5 upper/lower set
Armalite A5-length buffer tube, standard AR15 carbine buffer, Tubb flat wire AR10 buffer spring
Magpul SL-S, K grip, MLOK handstop kit and rail panels.
Ballistic Advantage 14.5" barrel
SLR Rifleworks 13.5" handguard and adjustable gas block
KAK Industries bolt carrier group
Magpul MBUS PRO offset irons
Leupold Mk6 3-18x with H58 reticle
Surefire Ultra Scout in Haley MLOK mount
Surefire SOCOM brake

I initially started with the Aero Precision 308 carbine buffer tube/spring/buffer set and BCG. In this configuration, even with the gas block wide open, it wouldn't lock open on empty without a can mounted. With the can, it ran fine. That told me it was undergassed. Replaced the back end with the Armalite tube and Tubb flat wire spring and I was able to get it to lock open on empty both without and with the suppressor. However, it still had intermittent issues with brass not ejecting properly. Replaced the Aero BCG with the KAK BCG and that went away too.

Finished weight is somewhere around 9.5lbs. Without the optic or light, it was right about 8lbs.

Note so far from zeroing and putting groups down: this thing is more unforgiving of less than ideal fundamentals than any other long gun I've shot. Flinch a little or jerk the trigger a little and the shot will be noticeably off, much more than an AR15. My Larue PredatOBR isn't that bad, so I'm not sure it's just the caliber either. Maybe just that the blast is that much louder and closer to the shooter's face.

For this and other reasons, I call it the Blastmaster.

Stencil job:

Some of the better shot groups, w/ Prvi M80 145gr FMJ

With the can mounted, POI shift was half a mil down.

MV figures:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

The Rat posted:

For this and other reasons, I call it the Blastmaster.

Gotta put on a linear compensator! Also your color schemes are always so pretty :swoon:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

But then I couldn't mount my Surefire cans :v:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I still need a barrel for my Mega MATEN.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Are you guys interested in old guns at all? I have a collection of muskets going back to pre-War of 1812 I'd be happy to share if anyone want me to.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Like you even had to ask...

I know fuckall about them but I love me some pictures.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
You should never not post cool old guns.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

UNF

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've never shot a .308 with a barrel that short nor even looked at rounds lighter than 160 grain. Without know twist rate, maybe upping your bullet weight might help?

That's so odd ball to what I've used though, that's little more than a blind guess.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Naked Bear posted:

You should never not post cool old guns.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
All images can be embiggened by clicking on them.

Charleville Pattern Musket

Colloquially known as the Model 1795 musket, this is the first model longarm made for the United States by the United States in the United States. It is, as the name suggests, a copy of the French Charleville musket that was provided to us in large numbers by France during the Revolution. The 1795 was manufactured from 1795 to 1812 (plus or minus a couple years, change comes slowly) before being replaced by the Model 1812.

The 1795 featured a smoothbore 44 and a half inch barrel and had an overall length of five goddamned feet. It fired a .69 caliber roundball propelled by a charge of black powder ignited by a piece of rock hitting a chunk of iron. The United States would use .69 caliber roundball projectiles fired from smoothbore barrels propelled by black powder ignited by a piece of rock hitting a chunk of iron until the adoption of the Model 1842. The Model 1842 fired a .69 caliber roundball propelled by a charge of black powder ignited by a percussion cap. Like a civilized person would make. In 1812 the length of the barrel was reduced to 42 inches and would remain at 42 inches until the adoption of the rifled musket in 1855. Rifling provided for accuracy and did not require the long barrels found on smoothbore muskets. So they reduced the length of the barrel. To a mere 40 inches.

This musket was made at the United States Armory and Arsenal at Harpers Ferry, Virginia (now West Virginia) in 1808. The site was selected by none other than George Washington in 1794 after Congress authorized the construction of a second national armory (the first being in Springfield, Massachusetts). Harpers Ferry produced arms for the United States until 1861 when the equipment was captured by Confederate forces and moved to Richmond. By war's end, the facilities of the armory were reduced to rubble as the town changed hands 11 times during the war. The US government decided that the cost to rebuild was too great and instead opted to focus on establishing further west.

Both Springfield and Harpers Ferry marked the barrels of all their muskets with the letters V (for verified) and P (for proofed) along with an eagle head and US (to denote government property). Harpers Ferry differed from Springfield in that their P and eagle head were combined on one stamp. Harpers Ferry muskets also differed in that their pans (where the priming charge for the flint was placed) was integral to the lock, where the Springfield pan was detachable. Parts from a Harpers Ferry musket would not interchange with parts from a Springfield musket. On the other hand, parts from a Springfield Musket would not interchange with parts from another Springfield musket, either. Interchangeable parts did not really become a thing until the adoption of the Model 1842. Machine tooling became more and more prevalent as time went on, but the Model 1795s were very much largely handmade guns.

One of the design changes that was made pretty much as soon as possible was the placement of the barrel band springs. With them behind the barrel bands, as above, a peg-and-hole arrangement was needed for the springs to actually hold the bands in place. If they're in front, then all you need is for the spring to, y'know, be there. Also, look how flimsy that sling swivel is.

The front band, however, didn't have any stock in front of it so it retained the rear band spring until they finally shook off the Charleville design heritage in 1855.

The front band also had a brass front sight. There wasn't a rear sight, however. Who needs it? A musket's accuracy is something like 24 MOA.

1795s were not standardized and they didn't even use the same model of Charleville as a pattern to follow all the time. As a result, the bayonet lugs were sometimes on top, sometimes on bottom.

Lookin' good for a 200 year old musket!

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
McNally, you should always pimp your collection, because it's awesome.

I feel like every time I see your posts about them I learn something new

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Model 1842 musket

The Model 1842 was significant in a number of ways: It was the first standard issue caplock musket adopted by the United States, it was the first designed with interchangeability of parts being a primary design concern, it was the last .69 caliber musket adopted by the US, and it was the last smoothbore musket adopted by the United States.

This one has definitely seen better days. 1844 was the first year of production of the M1842 at the Springfield Armory, so it's among the oldest. But it also shows signs of being put together with parts from other guns and/or reproduction parts.

There's no way to know if this barrel is original to this musket, as all its markings (VP eagle stamps, manufacture date stamped above the barrel tang) are lost, like tears in rain.

The hammer has apparently had, at some point, a catastrophically off-center strike. Also, there's a brass shim between the cone and bolster. No idea why.

The presence of this inspection cartouche on the stock shows that the stock is original. At some point I should check my reference books to make sure this stamp is appropriate for Springfield in 1844.

I've long questioned the originality of this front barrel band, as most 1842 front sights were brass, but I've recently learned that iron front sights weren't unknown. Again, no rear sight. This is a smoothbore musket, man.

This ramrod, on the other hand, is definitely non-original. The distinctive "trumpet" shape of the rammer is all wrong (not to mention hilariously uneven), the overall length is too short, and the end isn't threaded for cleaning tools. But bless whoever made this for trying to get the trumpet shape.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Holy moly, some of that metal you can't tell whether it was abused, pitted, or forged with a hammer. Or all 3.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Better watch out for McNally, he's forming a well-armed militia

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Better watch out for McNally, he's forming a well-armed militia

And I'm gonna feed them prunes so they're well-regulated.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Got my $280 surplus S&W Model 10 today:

Condition is way better than I expected. Obviously significant holster wear but no pitting or significant rust anywhere, I love the well used look since it's an ex-NY Department of Corrections (Dunno if that means NYC or state of NY) gun.

This thing owns, A+ would buy again. Need to get it together with my grandpa's S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 25, 2018

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
old S&W wheelguns are super rad, that's a great purchase. I told myself no more gun purchases this year (I should post mine in here too, I guess) but that price is extremely tempting. And my collection does need a revolver...

:sweatdrop:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
By the looks of the handle on that thing the hardest work it ever had was cracking open walnuts on the sheriffs desk

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Terrible Robot posted:

old S&W wheelguns are super rad, that's a great purchase. I told myself no more gun purchases this year (I should post mine in here too, I guess) but that price is extremely tempting. And my collection does need a revolver...

:sweatdrop:

While that Model 10 sure is nice, there's also the 27 option :q:

Good luck finding a 27 for Model 10 prices, though :(

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Is it dumb to get an air rifle for plinking? I've got a big rear end yard and it'd be fun to find something to fart around with. Can't get a license because weed card. Anything decent or is it all airsoft and red ryders with a compass in the stock

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Is it dumb to get an air rifle for plinking? I've got a big rear end yard and it'd be fun to find something to fart around with. Can't get a license because weed card. Anything decent or is it all airsoft and red ryders with a compass in the stock

No. There is a huuuuge amount of variety out there. $200 at walmart can get you a decent Gamo Whisper, pellets, and an animal silhouette target. Pistols are easier to find space to shoot, I've had great luck with the the Beeman 17. Rifles get a bit harder to choose, with many of the high power ones you can't adjust the sights to minus 10m. How much range do you have? There is an airgun thread in TFR, I swear it gets active if you post.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I got like 75 yards of flat open lawn, and I can shoot towards my house at that point with no fear of damage

I just don't want anything that's plastic bb crap. I'd use pellet and want something to dink around for distance. I know it's silly with no rifling or anything (are there rifled airguns? Is that legal in CT of all places)

I never fired a gun outside of the army, but dicking around for shotgroups in my yard on a Sunday afternoon seems like a chill way to be.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

A .22 pellet gun with a gas piston instead of a spring and a built-in suppressor is a really nice target shooter (and pest control unit.) You'll want to check the specs on the specific gun of course, but most .22 pellet rifles don't go supersonic. That combined with the suppressor and gas piston (eliminates the huge SPROING noise of spring driven guns) makes a very pleasant shooter. The .177cal pellet guns are mostly supersonic.

If it were me buying new I'd probably get something like this: https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_Raptor_Whisper_IGT_SAT_Air_Rifle/3997/7637

Or this: https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Stoeger_Arms_A30_S2_Air_Rifle_Combo/3643/7099

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Airguns fuckin own and are usually a lot less regulated than traditional guns

Also, after reading the Rat's post holy gently caress a 975 fps .22 pellet from a air rifle with a integrated surpressor? Gawd drat

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

How is that Gamo whisper not considered a silencer

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Because an air rifle isn't a firearm.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

McNally posted:

Because an air rifle isn't a firearm.

state laws may vary

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Like Smiling Jack says, state laws vary. On a federal level it's not a silencer since it can't be mounted on an actual firearm. It's integral to the airgun barrel.

e: also bear in mind that the .22 pellets are only normally 12-20gr, so it's not like slinging .22LR around. It'll still kill squirrels just fine and raccoons with a good headshot, but it's not the same level of oomph.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

yeah, still significantly past"you'll out your eye out" levels though, right?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Oh yeah definitely. Don't shoot a person with it. And wear eyepro.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I'm not shooting animals. I have a cat that murders for fun, which is very useful for living in a pre civil war ghost house

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Air rifles are like getting into a shoot out with the cops.

Always choose PCP.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Even without pest control as a mission requirement, I think a .22 suppressed gas piston rifle would be nice. Just cause it's so nice and quiet. The first airgun I got, a .177 springer with no suppressor, was loving LOUD. Supersonic and with a giant SPROING sound to it. Not loud enough to need earpro, but still unpleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well, err, air rifles have sure gotten different since I was a kid.

.45 caliber rounds doing 850 fps, holy moly.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Hatsan_Hercules_QE_Air_Rifle/4160/7950