Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Fight magic with magic archery 🏹. Let’s use our bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Always :2bong:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Shoot.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Hooray for alether/psi surge rules, and remembering the 20 ep boost. We'd be dead if not for all of those.

Use alchemy this time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nelson posted:

Fight magic with magic archery 🏹. Let’s use our bow.
Hopefully it'll be more effective at this than it was against that creature.

The Captives of Kaag posted:

You step back a few paces and take aim with your Bow at the centre of the crystal sphere. For someone of your ability this is a target that is difficult to miss. But will the Arrow strike with sufficient force to break or dislodge the sphere?

Curing: +1 EP (24/35).
We roll: 4 + 5 (Weaponmastery) + 3 (Silver Bow) = 12.

Your Arrow slams into the centre of the crystal and cracks it open. There is a flash of sparks; then the shimmering wall of light which imprisons Banedon flickers and disappears completely.

Curing: +1 EP (25/35).

You rush forwards and try to revive Banedon but he is deeply unconscious and does not respond. Taking hold of your friend by the arm, you lift him across your shoulders, and then carefully begin your descent from the platform. Once you are safely at the bottom of the steps, you cast your eyes around the hall for a means of escape. There are only two exits visible: the light-filled doors by which you entered, and a tunnel in the north wall.

Curing: +1 EP (26/35).
Shall we go back through the doors or take the tunnel to the north?

Quiver:
  • 4/6 arrows.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Let’s not retrace our steps. Let’s head north.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Onward through the tunnel.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

moosecow333 posted:

Let’s not retrace our steps. Let’s head north.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
North of the border to the vast frozen wasteland!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

moosecow333 posted:

Let’s head north.

Yeah, there’s nothing useful back the way we came. Onwards!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Holding Banedon firmly in place across your shoulders, you climb the tiered steps towards the tunnel. The cold dark passage looks most uninviting, but when you hear the sound of a patrol approaching the main doors, you forget your reticence and hurry along the passage to avoid it.

The dingy passage descends by slope and stair to a rectangular hall which is lined with ancient stone statues, their features made unrecognizable by age. Tar-soaked torches fixed to the two longest walls illuminate this musty chamber with a flickering amber light, and the air is heavy with their oily stench. In the distance you see an archway and the passage continuing away into darkness.

Curing: +1 EP (27/35).
Shall we stop for a few minutes and try to revive Banedon or keep moving?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
We have healing and we wish to use it

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Slap Banedon. Harder this time.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
It would be handy if he could at least stagger and leave us free to fight. Wake up!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Mikl posted:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Maugrim posted:

It would be handy if he could at least stagger and leave us free to fight. Wake up!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mikl posted:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

OK, it's the moment of First Aid .

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You lower Banedon to the floor and make him as comfortable as you can by propping him in a sitting position with his back against one of the statues. Then, despite your own fatigue, you use your innate healing skills in an attempt to revive him to consciousness. His pulse is weak and his skin is cold to the touch, and you can tell by his poor physical condition that he has been starved and beaten during his imprisonment here in Kaag. Placing your hands upon his brow, you feel some of your body warmth draining away as you concentrate on transmitting your healing powers to your injured friend. Slowly he responds, and although he is still too weak to speak, he manages to open his eyes and communicate with you telepathically.

I know this chamber …  he says, … I have been here before. Look there, at the statue opposite. You’ll find a lever concealed at its side. It opens a hidden door.

Guided by Banedon’s messages you discover that there is indeed a lever as he described. You pull it and a panel in the stone wall glides open to reveal a secret alcove and flight of steps leading downwards. Noises in the tunnel warn you that Drakkarim are approaching and so, without hesitation, you shoulder your friend once more and hurry into the alcove to avoid them.

Curing: +1 EP (28/35).

The panel glides shut behind you and keeps you hidden from the enemy. Through the wall you hear cries of surprise and some curses when they enter the chamber to discover that you have seemingly disappeared into thin air. Mindful that they might find your hiding place, you descend the stairs and arrive at a vault which is lavishly equipped with all manner of elaborate laboratory apparatus. Several large tables line one wall, many stained with blood.

You sense that Banedon is disturbed by the sight of these tables and, when you ask him what is wrong, he tells you that this chamber is where the Nadziranim subjected him to hours of brutal interrogation in a futile attempt to extract the magical secrets of the Brotherhood.

Despite all their fiendish tortures, he says, his mind-voice weak yet full of pride, they learned nothing.

You search for a way out of this vault and soon discover a steel door which is secured by a curious combination lock. It comprises three raised blocks, each block divided into four equal squares. In each square, bar one, there is a number. You ask Banedon if he knows how the lock operates and he recalls once seeing a Nadziran tapping the empty square several times in order to make the door open.

Curing: +1 EP (29/35).
How many times should we tap the square?

I almost accidentally posted this update without the image. That would have made the puzzle a bit trickier.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
8 is great

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Leraika posted:

8 is great

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Leraika posted:

8 is great

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m really glad Lone Wolf passed the second grade, otherwise this problem would have been too hard.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

2x2=4
4x2=8

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Not more eldritch mathematics! We feel our sanity crumbling!

E-e-e-eight! You sadistic, inhuman fiends!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

On the eighth tap, there is a loud click and the heavy steel door creaks slowly open. Ahead you see a ramp which slopes down to a junction where a passage crosses from left to right. You descend the slope, taking care not to graze Banedon’s back against the low ceiling, and when you reach the junction you ask your friend in which direction you should go. Unfortunately your question goes unanswered; Banedon has lapsed once more into unconsciousness.

You stand at the junction and use your Kai senses in an attempt to choose the safest route, but you detect nothing that can help or influence your decision. Both routes seem equally unwelcoming and perilous.

Curing: +1 EP (30/35).
Left or right?

Yeah, again.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Sigh... :goleft:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
left.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Right.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

:goright:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Wait, "on the eighth tap"? So you could just keep tapping until it opened even if you couldn't work out the puzzle. :what:

Go left.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

It’s good to know that you can solve the riddle by just tapping until something opens.

e: Beaten!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Maugrim posted:

Wait, "on the eighth tap"? So you could just keep tapping until it opened even if you couldn't work out the puzzle. :what:
Pretty sure that's the case for a number of different locks in this series. I guess most people just see the puzzle and give up without trying.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Pretty sure that's the case for a number of different locks in this series. I guess most people just see the puzzle and give up without trying.

To be fair, before you try you don't know that's the case. For all you know, you tap one time too many or stop too early and hidden blades shoot out of the walls and turn you into hamburger meat.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

I've really loved this math locks in the game: I even tried to implement them in my DnD adventures, with mixed success.

Go Right.

Guy Fawkes fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 22, 2018

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Guy Fawkes posted:

I've really loved this math locks in the game: I even tried to implement them in my DnD adventures, with mixed success.

I was actually thinking of putting some of them into my campaign as well. Which ones worked the best for you?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
edit- removed

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The passage runs in an uninterrupted straight line for several hundred yards before arriving at a great circular room constructed of granite blocks. Cold air falls from a dark opening overhead and dozens of ropes and pulleys extend from this shaft, hanging down to touch the flagstoned floor. A large square door, furnished with brass and iron studs, is situated to your left. Apart from the shaft it appears to be the only exit from this chamber.

Curing: +1 EP (31/35).

Your senses tell you that you possess the correct key to open this door long before you have even approached the door itself. You retrieve the Brass Key from your Backpack, insert it in the lock, and twist it confidently. The lock clicks open and you pass through into the chamber beyond.

Curing: +1 EP (32/35).

Beyond the door awaits a sumptuous chamber dominated by a magnificent fireplace crafted from blocks of glassy rock. The walls are hung with fine tapestries, looted from the Stornlands during times of war, and you note that the furniture is carved from best Durenese oak.

You pass through the chamber into an adjoining passage which leads to a library. As you enter, you disturb a robed creature seated at a lectern. Before it can rise or raise the alarm, you draw your weapon and silence it with a swift blow to the base of its skull. Pulling back its hood reveals it to be a Ligan, a thrall of the Nadziranim sorcerers.

Suddenly you hear movement and glance up to see another Ligan peering over the parapet of a gallery which encircles the upper level of this library. The creature, having witnessed the slaying of its companion, lets out a horrified squeal and turns to run towards an archway on the far side of the gallery. Determined to prevent his escape, you lower Banedon to the floor then rush towards a flight of wooden stairs that also lead to the archway. However, as you near the landing at the top of these stairs, two more of the creatures appear from either side, with wands gripped in their clawed hands. They shout a spell-word in the dark tongue and a crackling curtain of energy flares between the two rods, blocking your path. The power-wall looks formidable, but you sense at once that it is really quite weak.

Curing: +1 EP (33/35).
Shall we use Kai-alchemy, just run through the barrier, or retreat down the stairs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

:science: