Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Doc Aquatic posted:

Or alternatively, the setting is entirely appropriate for kids that age, because when you're like nine or ten years old is when something being really slick and dark and full of edgy stuff appeals most. God knows when I was that age I was writing stuff so edgy it makes me cringe now, and by the time I got into 40k in my teens I had already outgrown most of the aesthetic.

Edit: Really, I'm a little amazed by the idea that 'too dark for YA' is an idea that's been floating around the thread. Like, putting aside Animorphs, the fact that The Hunger Games was a smash hit and was about children being drafted into televised bloodsport should maybe set the tone for what kids actually want to read.

How’s “too pro-fascist” float you? The difference in 40K is that in all the YA dystopias, the murderous bigoted authoritarian government is the bad guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pieces of Peace posted:

How’s “too pro-fascist” float you? The difference in 40K is that in all the YA dystopias, the murderous bigoted authoritarian government is the bad guys.

You could say the same for Harry Potter.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, as the parent of a 10-year-old, I don’t think it’s implausible that they could filter the universe to be acceptable while still maintaining meaningful connection to the canon. I mostly know 40K from reading F&Fs though. Maybe it’s even worse than SotDL, which Serf is successfully tweaking to be less crazy.

I might be out of date with the lore, but outside slaanesh and the dark eldar, there's not a lot I'd straight-up exclude, content-wise, for the 10-11 demographic. My main worry, more than anything, is that Games Workshop pretty much made themselves into the 'Wow! Cool robot!' meme over the last 30 years, where they kind of forgot that it was a parody of fascism, and became a celebration of it, instead. Like, I'd want to screen the books more for 'does it think xenophobia and totalitarianism is okay' before I'd screen it for 'does a dude get totally blown up by psychic powers'.

Editing to respond to the top of the page, since I missed it while I was responding: Yeah, no poo poo, obviously that's bad. I was responding to the people worrying about how kids might read about a violence, when reading about a violence is literally one of the favorite things for a nerdy kid to do.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Doc Aquatic posted:

I might be out of date with the lore, but outside slaanesh and the dark eldar, there's not a lot I'd straight-up exclude, content-wise, for the 10-11 demographic. My main worry, more than anything, is that Games Workshop pretty much made themselves into the 'Wow! Cool robot!' meme over the last 30 years, where they kind of forgot that it was a parody of fascism, and became a celebration of it, instead. Like, I'd want to screen the books more for 'does it think xenophobia and totalitarianism is okay' before I'd screen it for 'does a dude get totally blown up by psychic powers'.

Editing to respond to the top of the page, since I missed it while I was responding: Yeah, no poo poo, obviously that's bad. I was responding to the people worrying about how kids might read about a violence, when reading about a violence is literally one of the favorite things for a nerdy kid to do.

Yeah, fair point. I mean, it’s not like Cold War sci-fi was free of jingoistic racism and all that other crap. You summed up my attitude pretty well: I wouldn’t ban my kids from reading that but I’d sure as hell want to read it myself first and talk to them about it. I just have a lot of adult friends who still take nerd poo poo at face value.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pieces of Peace posted:

Yeah, fair point. I mean, it’s not like Cold War sci-fi was free of jingoistic racism and all that other crap. You summed up my attitude pretty well: I wouldn’t ban my kids from reading that but I’d sure as hell want to read it myself first and talk to them about it. I just have a lot of adult friends who still take nerd poo poo at face value.

Do you mean that you’re worried that inappropriate politics will leak into their kids’ book? Do you pre-screen everything your kids read? I’ll admit I don’t have time for that.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

My concern would absolutely be about the fascism. 40K has been an incredible, unintentional engine for making horrible nerds feel ok spouting fascist 'jokes' in relative public.
If the setting isn't about how evil the Imperium is, and has even a vaguely Imperium-like Imperium, I don't want kids reading it, honestly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How do you feel about Harry Potter? If you pay attention to the politics, they aren’t great.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Subjunctive posted:

How do you feel about Harry Potter? If you pay attention to the politics, they aren’t great.

The house slaves stuff is pretty bad. Like house elves are basically slaves and it's made clear the enjoy. Though, that might have more to do with social conditioning considering how happy Dobby was. But the whole thing is handled really bad. It really makes Hermione seem like a whiny teenager for you know trying to stop slavery.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

JK Rowling the person has awful politics. Harry Potter's isn't any more particularly worse than most YA novels with a vague sense of liberalism and anti-authoritarianism. I don't think a complete lack of materialist dialectic is enough to disqualify it and the likes of the Hunger Games as being "bad", and even then there's still a gulf between that and cheerleading for fascism.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Harry Potter has some very unformed and questionable stuff.
The fascists are still the bad guys, even if wizarding society overall can be analyzed and found to be pretty terrible.
That's a pretty straightforward distinction!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

JK Rowling the person has awful politics. Harry Potter's isn't any more particularly worse than most YA novels with a vague sense of liberalism and anti-authoritarianism. I don't think a complete lack of materialist dialectic is enough to disqualify it and the likes of the Hunger Games as being "bad", and even then there's still a gulf between that and cheerleading for fascism.

The bigotry and slavery elements are pretty bad, as is the focus on tribalism at a mostly white private school. Rowling herself has said that the Ministry of Magic is reminiscent of unsavory regimes.

We haven’t yet seen what will be in the My First 40K books, or what will be endorsed by the material. But some pretty bad poo poo (banking goblin underclass, really?) is already in very wide circulation.

I am much more concerned with what my kid reads about interpersonal stuff and matters of self-perception.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
All YA writers should be woke AF because conservstism and neo-liberalism are failed ideologies.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I'll mirror what others have said and say that 40k is more or less aimed at children already and yeah middle schoolers love edgy poo poo. As for it being bad for them...like, have you seen the internet? Frankly, if they push it as either comical over the top fascism, or tone down the fash, I'll semi-begrudgingly that over what they'd otherwise be inundated with.

Frankly the only problem is that it's not just all orks all the time.

EDIT: if it is just straight up glorifying fascism then gently caress this, of course.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 22, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A good way to test if 40k is bad for your kid is to give them a few months with the IP and ask them their opinion on Female Space Marines

If they get angry at the idea, it's bad for them

If they think it'd be a cool idea, they're safe

If they grow up and do this, then uh

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Xarbala posted:

Why is her posture so bad?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Angrymog posted:

Why is her posture so bad?

Chapter mutation.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
40k for Kids seems pretty doable because even aside from people's brains exploding there's a lot of stuff that's just a really gory joke in the setting. Hell, that might be how they make it be not fascist propoganda; just make fun of the Imperium being dumbshits all the time.

"So you worship the blessed human form?" "Of course! Anyone who diverges must be purged!" "...and you have two hearts and spit acid?"

Xarbala posted:

That's an incredibly Yamato-esque face.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Desiden posted:

1. Making boxed sets and bundles actually save some money over buying the contents piecemeal. and actually pointing that out to help drive sales.
2. Making the start collecting boxes also (at least technically) be enough to actually, yanno, start playing. Not at full tournament levels or anything, but its typically enough for a small 500 point game with units that (again, usually) will continue to be useful to build a bigger force around.
3. Publishing regular updates to the rules based on community feedback and tournament data. AoS even has an annual revision of points and some other shakeups with the general's handbooks. Not perfect, but at least its attempting to keep some parity to the factions.
4. Aforementioned realizing that people pushing around little toys on the table actually do want at least some context for it, and paying more attention to setting development.
5. Kinda sorta realizing that maybe bald-faced greed and being litigious control freaks wasn't doing themselves any favors. They've gotten better in working with non-GW stores and while they're still expensive as all gently caress, they're at least paying a modicum of attention to maintaining customers through a variety of marketing elements and "the hobby" angle.

Imagine if Catalyst actually did something on this list (other than 4) for Battletech :psyduck:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Doc Aquatic posted:

My main worry, more than anything, is that Games Workshop pretty much made themselves into the 'Wow! Cool robot!' meme over the last 30 years, where they kind of forgot that it was a parody of fascism, and became a celebration of it, instead. Like, I'd want to screen the books more for 'does it think xenophobia and totalitarianism is okay' before I'd screen it for 'does a dude get totally blown up by psychic powers'.

I came here to repost this:

Now imagine that, but instead of an adult not getting the message, the target demographic is 8-12 year olds.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 22, 2018

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So, what's the goon opinion on Genesys, and the new l5r? I'm considering buying the begginers' box of the later when it's out.

I just don't have that much time to read the beta for now and most l5r fans are unrepentant grognards, so I don't really trust their opinions on systems and settings.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Here's a talk Vincent Baker gave at Ropecon 2013, about game design and the original release of Apocalypse World. I've advanced it to an interesting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQbRevAu1dI&t=1500s

So. Don't be afraid to alienate people - their rants will start conversations. Have rules that need some effort to understand - the questions will start conversations.

And I thought about my time trawling the RPG stack exchange looking for the single non-d20 question per two pages of d20 questions and I wondered - is D&D poorly balanced and confusingly written on purpose?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Glazius posted:

And I thought about my time trawling the RPG stack exchange looking for the single non-d20 question per two pages of d20 questions and I wondered - is D&D poorly balanced and confusingly written on purpose?

not at all. Every post-TSR iteration of D&D has been earnest and deliberate in wanting to be clear and balanced - they just didn't succeed at it.

EDIT: a better example of a game that's "confusingly written on purpose" would be Hackmaster 4th Edition, where it's almost like the players and DM are encouraged to look for contradictory rules to one-up each other with.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gotta admit, having all the RPG forums filled with 95% D&D talk is one way to market effectively

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Glazius posted:

is D&D poorly balanced and confusingly written on purpose?

Never attribute to marketing genius that which can be adequately explained by incredibly lovely designers.

Those forums are full of D&D questions because D&D is poo poo and is the face of the hobby, not because D&D is deliberately obtuse so it can be talked about online to somehow magically become popular. :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Trip report from my bud's homebrew system:

"Okay, to calculate your AC, you just add up the basic value plus the average of your Agility and Intuiton plus your dodge skill plus your parry rank, which is a third of your weapon group skill. Oh but when you fight unarmed you only get the parry bonus against other unarmed attacks. That's all for melee defense too, scratch the parry rank against ranged attacks. And if you're caught unaware, skip the dodge skill as well. Now that's your basic AC; add your armor bonus to get your armored AC. If the attack roll is below basic AC, it's a miss, if it's above armored AC, you take full damage, and if it's between basic and armored AC you take damage but get to subtract your armor's damage reduction score. Any questions?"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
ask him about grappling

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Okay, to calculate your AC, you just add up the basic value plus the average of your Agility and Intuiton plus your dodge skill plus your parry rank, which is a third of your weapon group skill. Oh but when you fight unarmed you only get the parry bonus against other unarmed attacks. That's all for melee defense too, scratch the parry rank against ranged attacks. And if you're caught unaware, skip the dodge skill as well. Now that's your basic AC; add your armor bonus to get your armored AC. If the attack roll is below basic AC, it's a miss, if it's above armored AC, you take full damage, and if it's between basic and armored AC you take damage but get to subtract your armor's damage reduction score. Any questions?"

:sever:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

not at all. Every post-TSR iteration of D&D has been earnest and deliberate in wanting to be clear and balanced - they just didn't succeed at it.

EDIT: a better example of a game that's "confusingly written on purpose" would be Hackmaster 4th Edition, where it's almost like the players and DM are encouraged to look for contradictory rules to one-up each other with.

I'd say there's no "almost" about it, but to this day I cannot tell if HM4 was the product of someone with a genuine axe to grind with AD&D2 or if the first-level fireball, twenty pages of cantrips, and many rules explanations which used parallel logic to AD&D2 ones to spit out opposite results (one being "NPCs can have d4 HP because in real life people can die from even small injuries" in AD&D2 getting the "NPCs can have d4+20 kicker HP because in real life people can survive even great injuries" revamp) are a winking in-joke.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

Harry Potter is the story of a high school jock who drops out of school and becomes a cop.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Who the hell cares about Harry Potter in 2018. Other than absolute cretins.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone with kids reading them, probably.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The next movie comes out this year.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Anyone with kids reading them, probably.

Absolute cretins.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
kids? :chloe:???

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was thinking about how they could have handled this better and I think something like Gundam Build Fighters would have been better. Kids getting into the hobby, making armies that match their personalities, and spotlighting special characters. They could fight out battles, learning the rules in a way that teaches the reader, and then they can show the armies battling it out in the 40K universe. It just hops over all the fluff and doubles down on selling the models.

I wish GW had used the CalArts style for the artwork to drive people even more insane.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I finally finished translating LOST, the free indie Japanese TRPG I was working on. I just need to post up one more chart when I get home and it’ll be 100% complete and playable. There’s some bonus stuff like sample scenarios and an expansion that I’ll start working on next but I’m also hoping to run a PbP playtest here and get some feedback.

I’ve literally been translating this thing on my lunch break at work and throwing it up on a free Wordpress blog so hopefully with feedback from folks (or some help) I can touch it up into something better formatted and more appealing, but at the very least it’s playable.

https://ancientscars.wordpress.com/project-1-lost-trpg/

I’m gonna try and have the Recruitment thread for the playtest up tonight.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh man, that definitely looks interesting.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh poo poo I forgot to mention how there's also a skill for how well you can wear armor next to the dodge skill

and how magic armor conveys an additional armor bonus and damage reduction rating that is counted separately

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

My Lovely Horse posted:

there is no goddamned excuse for them to still be calling it Armor Class!!! :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay to be completely fair the term "armor class" is me translating the term he actually uses to something immediately recognizable. I think he just called it defense score. I kinda checked out at "1/3 your weapon skill."