Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

queserasera posted:

The only working Ms Pac Man arcade cabinets I've ever seen were at laundromats.

I'm reasonably certain that's because 95% of them went to laundromats in the first place. They only get removed if they break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

queserasera posted:

The only working Ms Pac Man arcade cabinets I've ever seen were at laundromats.

I saw some at Holiday Inns alongside Pole Position, but this was during the mid-80s.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Arcade games and pinball machines are apparently kind of an endangered species since barely anyone knows how to repair them anymore, so if they break they're basically junk.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Arcade games and pinball machines are apparently kind of an endangered species since barely anyone knows how to repair them anymore, so if they break they're basically junk.

There are people with the know how. The biggest problem is that it's not necessarily economically viable to fix the machines as the parts aren't often manufactured anymore. It's literally impossible to find parts for some machines as they no longer exist. You can maybe scavenge it out of another cabinet but for some particularly old things compatible parts no longer even exist. The other snag is that the machines decay like crazy if they're not actively played. That machine that sat in a dusty corner totally forgotten about probably quit working pretty quickly.

There's actually a reason places like the pinball museum actively encourage you to actually get your hands on the games and play to your heart's content; it's actually good for the gubbinz.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Saw an ad on TV for Show Dogs that included a graphic that read "Certified Furry" instead of "Certified Fresh". That word does not mean what you think it means, advertisers...

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Plus you can just shove an emulator box in a cabinet and not be limited to just one game.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Being European not having your own washer and dryer just seems weird to me.

Ontopic: I get this super annoying "hip" add for internet by Tele2 on my phone's youtube every day, the kicker: I have my internet from them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There are people with the know how. The biggest problem is that it's not necessarily economically viable to fix the machines as the parts aren't often manufactured anymore. It's literally impossible to find parts for some machines as they no longer exist. You can maybe scavenge it out of another cabinet but for some particularly old things compatible parts no longer even exist. The other snag is that the machines decay like crazy if they're not actively played. That machine that sat in a dusty corner totally forgotten about probably quit working pretty quickly.

There's actually a reason places like the pinball museum actively encourage you to actually get your hands on the games and play to your heart's content; it's actually good for the gubbinz.

Huh, that's odd, but it makes sense given I imagine they'd be made assuming they'd be played relentlessly day in and out by bored kids.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My uncle has a pinball machine and it's been broken for 20 of the last 40 years, but not like in a row. It must be so drat frustrating to fix those things and then 6 months later it's broken again.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Huh, that's odd, but it makes sense given I imagine they'd be made assuming they'd be played relentlessly day in and out by bored kids.

It's really just a fact of machinery in general. The worst thing you can do to any machine is to stick it in a corner somewhere and forget about it. Machines are meant to, you know, do poo poo so if you want to preserve it in a working state it has to spend some of its time doing whatever it was designed to do. Proper maintenance is obviously the other side of it.

Allegedly Allergic
Nov 3, 2002

Crazy Bus Person #3

dissss posted:

Yeah I don’t think it’d take very long even with only two people - our fancy washing machine cost like $1200 and the laundromat is $4 per small load. At 3 loads a week that’s over $600 which I’m sure could buy a basic washing machine.

Sure there are some (fairly minimal) electricity costs but the there would be car costs driving to a laundromat too.

You do you, but how in the gently caress are you managing three loads a week with two people? Did you accidentally buy a washing machine the size of a thimble?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
dissss why in the hell do you have my cat as your avatar

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Zedd posted:

Being European not having your own washer and dryer just seems weird to me.

Ontopic: I get this super annoying "hip" add for internet by Tele2 on my phone's youtube every day, the kicker: I have my internet from them.

There was a while where Tele2 advertised as "the newest 4G network". This is because they were thrash compared to T-Mobile, so they couldn't really advertise with "the best 4G network" :thumbsup:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Reminds me that there was a car breakdown service that used to adertise themselves with the tagline "We're not the biggest, but we're aiming to be the best." Not often I've seen an advert saying "Our competitors are better than us."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, points for honesty.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

Reminds me that there was a car breakdown service that used to adertise themselves with the tagline "We're not the biggest, but we're aiming to be the best." Not often I've seen an advert saying "Our competitors are better than us."

Eh, sometimes the honesty is what you want to go for. Everybody screaming "I'M THE BEST!!!!!" at the top of their lungs gets old because of course you're going to tell me you're the best. Saying "we're aiming to be the best" says to me "we realize we aren't perfect and are actively working to get better."

Kind of like when Domino's went "uh hey folks, we realize out pizza sucks so we're working on not sucking now. Sorry about that!" It was very refreshing that we got "our pizza went to poo poo, that's our fault and we're fixing it" instead of fluffy PR bullshit or "well you don't really understand pizza."

So much of marketing is based on outright lies that seeing somebody be honest gets a lot of attention. "We're small and we're not the best but we'll do our damnedest to get the job done right!" is something I wish more companies would say instead of "choose us because we're the best! Now allow me to show you pictures of happy people instead of telling you why we're the best."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wells Fargo is pushing a big campaign saying “hey we were terrible and hosed over pretty much everyone but now we are good so come back”

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How long until their next massive scandel?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

RandomPauI posted:

How long until their next massive scandel?

Couple minutes or so.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Allegedly Allergic posted:

You do you, but how in the gently caress are you managing three loads a week with two people? Did you accidentally buy a washing machine the size of a thimble?

Load of sheets, load of towels, load of clothes. That’s without getting into delicates that apparently need separating from the rest of the clothes.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Sunswipe posted:

Avis’s marketing played this angle for decades.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Avis’s marketing played this angle for decades.

The little "Avis can't afford to relax" caption had me in stitches, as did the "We're not jammed with customers :( " line at the bottom.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Krispy Wafer posted:

My uncle has a pinball machine and it's been broken for 20 of the last 40 years, but not like in a row. It must be so drat frustrating to fix those things and then 6 months later it's broken again.

At least with pinball tables, a lot of the basic parts (flippers, bands, mechanisms, etc) are pretty universal over the past 3 decades, so you can find parts pretty easy if you're looking for them. If it's something like a fancy plastic prop or an electronic readout or a paintjob, you're pretty much hosed though.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Wells Fargo is pushing a big campaign saying “hey we were terrible and hosed over pretty much everyone but now we are good so come back”

Recently I was at a friend’s house recovering from surgery, and he pays for Hulu, which means you get commercials every five minutes apparently.

One commercial break was Wells Fargo begging for forgiveness, then Facebook, ditto, Wells Fargo again...

The Facebook one was especially grating because it talks about “going back to what were made for”, which the narrator wants you to think was “sharing baby pictures with your high school classmates”.

And not, you know. Collecting girls’ photographs from their sorority websites so boys could vote on how hot they were.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

shelley posted:

Recently I was at a friend’s house recovering from surgery, and he pays for Hulu, which means you get commercials every five minutes apparently.

One commercial break was Wells Fargo begging for forgiveness, then Facebook, ditto, Wells Fargo again...

The Facebook one was especially grating because it talks about “going back to what were made for”, which the narrator wants you to think was “sharing baby pictures with your high school classmates”.

And not, you know. Collecting girls’ photographs from their sorority websites so boys could vote on how hot they were.

Im pretty sure you dont get ads if you actually pay for Hulu. Free Hulu sure as hell does though.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Eight-dollar Hulu, you get ads. Twelve-dollar Hulu, most (not all) shows are ad-free.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Eight-dollar Hulu, you get ads. Twelve-dollar Hulu, most (not all) shows are ad-free.

Hulu is the worst and I would never use it if my best friend wasn't mooching off his dad's account. I'm not paying money to still see ads. :colbert:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
$8 hulu is for dummies, $12 hulu is good and has no ads

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

Im pretty sure you dont get ads if you actually pay for Hulu. Free Hulu sure as hell does though.

I think it’s the 8-dollar tier based on what other posters here are saying. Idk, I’m broke, I’m not paying for any tier of Hulu.

I feel so old posting this, but: it’s absolutely nuts how many commercials there are, any time I actually watch television. And how little variation there sometimes is. Yes, I’ve tuned in to half-watch a lovely reality show, I’m definitely in the market for a fancy car, a different fancy car, and a Disneyland vacation with the family I don’t have.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Has anybody noticed how some commercials will feature the default iPhone text notification sound? I guess it's not a dumb marketing move, per say, because I've fallen for that trick probably dozens of times now and a lot of people I know have too. It's really interesting, because it's almost guaranteed to get somebody's attention if they've ever owned/used an iPhone for a while.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm surprised there aren't ads with the old icq/aim sounds (or trillian/pidgin, for super precise tech marketing)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Has anybody noticed how some commercials will feature the default iPhone text notification sound? I guess it's not a dumb marketing move, per say, because I've fallen for that trick probably dozens of times now and a lot of people I know have too. It's really interesting, because it's almost guaranteed to get somebody's attention if they've ever owned/used an iPhone for a while.

Watching Iron Man, there's a few places where Stark is doing his computer stuff and the default Steam message tone plays. Got me the first time, then I realised I wasn't even logged in to Steam.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also no free Hulu anymore. Everything I've seen is behind the paywall.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's still the case, but Hulu's ad system was so stupid. Like an episode starts and then you immediately have a commercial before you can even get interested in the show and then 15 minutes later you have an ad block so long you might as well go take a dump while you're waiting. It seemed geared solely to annoy rather than sell a product and wasn't at all tuned to what they were watching. Like do we really need as many ads during the Rockford Files, which is a 40 year old show that probably costs nothing to stream as we do for Hulu's tentpole original productions?

I got ad-free Hulu for my mom for Christmas so that I could use it too. Now it's a decent streaming service, but still too expensive to buy without justifying it as a gift to a loved one.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

shelley posted:

Uber is also running a “sorry we suck” campaign. All three run during sports games.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

the Rockford Files, which is a 40 year old show that probably costs nothing to stream

Nothing costs nothing to stream, extract maximum value from every single byte sent.

Even Mr. Rogers needed to be sponsored :(

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
In fairness, cable is a lot more expensive and still features ads every ten seconds.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I don't know if it's still the case, but Hulu's ad system was so stupid. Like an episode starts and then you immediately have a commercial before you can even get interested in the show and then 15 minutes later you have an ad block so long you might as well go take a dump while you're waiting. It seemed geared solely to annoy rather than sell a product and wasn't at all tuned to what they were watching. Like do we really need as many ads during the Rockford Files, which is a 40 year old show that probably costs nothing to stream as we do for Hulu's tentpole original productions?

I got ad-free Hulu for my mom for Christmas so that I could use it too. Now it's a decent streaming service, but still too expensive to buy without justifying it as a gift to a loved one.

I remember trying to use Hulu in the dorms. I would pause it thinking "oh it'll load the whole show commercials and all" but no it would take 15 minutes to load the first 5 minutes. The another half hour just for the first commercial block. I still hate the service because of that

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Hulu got rid of The Rockford Files.

Literally while I was in the middle of an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hulu got rid of The Rockford Files.

Literally while I was in the middle of an episode.

Which episode was it?