Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SRM posted:

We don't have things like Heroquest or Space Crusade to get kids into the hobby, I don't really mind. I loved the kids Star Wars books when I was younger.

Really should be encouraging your kids into a cheaper hobby

like Heroine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Moola posted:

Really should be encouraging your kids into a cheaper hobby

like Heroine

There's a heroine right on the cover of the books tho???

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SRM posted:

How do we know she's not a heretic?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SRM posted:

noice

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
How the gently caress are they going to incorporate the fact that in WH40K canon space elves literally hosed a hole into the universe and created a hermaphroditic god of hedonism into the children's book series

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 21, 2018

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'm the nerds losing their goddamn minds over this development.

Also if that Orlock kid doesn't have a Brooklyn accent I'll be deeply disappointed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Screaming Idiot posted:

How the gently caress are they going to incorporate the fact that in WH40K canon space elves literally hosed a hole into the universe and created a hermaphroditic god of hedonism into tue children's book series

They'll just skip all those parts, just like the Bible

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

I'm the nerds losing their goddamn minds over this development.

This is the good part. The actual books are cool as hell and it's a good thing for GW to be doing.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
At that age I was already knee deep into WH40k Rogue Trader and had a small Eldar army. I didn't know how to play because I was a stupid kid, but I liked the lore and doom and gloom because in six more years I would hit a pretty good goth streak. I tried to keep the photos of the boob monsters away from my parents tho.

I miss the 80s.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 21, 2018

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Screaming Idiot posted:

How the gently caress are they going to incorporate the fact that in WH40K canon space elves literally hosed a hole into the universe and created a hermaphroditic god of hedonism into tue children's book series

The Eldar had ice cream for dinner every night until the god of tummyaches came, and took all their ice cream away. Now, some of them are bullies who beat up others for their delicious soul ice-cream, and other have taken jobs as clowns to get invited to other race's birthday parties.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Like, I'm not opposed to having children's books, because let's face it, this stuff is for kids anyway, I'm just wondering how they'll adapt the canon for kids.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Giant Isopod posted:

The Eldar had ice cream for dinner every night until the god of tummyaches came, and took all their ice cream away. Now, some of them are bullies who beat up others for their delicious soul ice-cream, and other have taken jobs as clowns to get invited to other race's birthday parties.

This is as good as an excuse for the Harlequin army as any I've seen.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Like, I'm not opposed to having children's books, because let's face it, this stuff is for kids anyway, I'm just wondering how they'll adapt the canon for kids.

I can't say for certain how I would have reacted to 40K as a child (I was already 19 when the original Rogue Trader appeared), but I have to suspect I'd have thought it was super :krad:

A bigger issue is that they seem to be trying to tap a market that can't possibly afford their product immediately.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Their parents sure as hell can.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Nerds are losing their loving gourds over this.

https://twitter.com/adembskibowden/status/998625815695908866

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Screaming Idiot posted:

The same way they did for Space Crusade in the 90s I would imagine (it had (I've just checked) a recommended age of 10 and up). Which came out within 2 years of the "realms of chaos" suppliments for WFB/WHRPG/Rogue Trader which was the only GW product I ever remember seeing with a "mature readers only" warning. They'll just not mention any of the really tragically edgy stuff.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I feel bad for all the kids who won't have juice

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

muggins posted:

Nerds are losing their loving gourds over this.

https://twitter.com/adembskibowden/status/998625815695908866

ADB is, unsurprisingly, correct about all of this.

Khorn Syrup Blood for the Blood God.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Screaming Idiot posted:

Honestly, I don't think they have to address the canon at all. They can just be adventures in a setpiece world - that world's backstory being one of imperial genocide / war with gently caress-demons from hell-space / completely different imperial genocide - doesn't ever have to come up.

Then later on, when Timmy is a little older he'll read the backstory of the place where his favorite children's story happened and think "whoa! so, grim, so dark!" It's not a bad hook, really.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I somehow didn't realize HeroQuest was Warhammer and never heard of Space Crusade.

Holy lord these Necrons look incredible, why can't they look like this now?!

Giant Isopod posted:

Honestly, I don't think they have to address the canon at all. They can just be adventures in a setpiece world - that world's backstory being one of imperial genocide / war with gently caress-demons from hell-space / completely different imperial genocide - doesn't ever have to come up.

Then later on, when Timmy is a little older he'll read the backstory of the place where his favorite children's story happened and think "whoa! so, grim, so dark!" It's not a bad hook, really.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't start with YA since that's poo poo is all gruesome/oppressive/grimdark, but I assume if this stuff takes off they could easily transition that audience into new YA Warhammer fiction as it ages up.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 21, 2018

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

mango sentinel posted:

I somehow didn't realize HeroQuest was Warhammer and never heard of Space Crusade.

See, thats the weird thing to me; Thats rogue trader era 40K. There were no necrons. The first time I saw necron miniatures for 40K years later I thought "Huh. They've made an army of the Chaos Android from Space Crusade?".

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
That would explain it, I thought Necrons were a later addition and I guess I was right with my first instinct. Sad they went with Space Terminators instead of reusing these ghoulbots. Some enterprising 3rd party should make those heads.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 22, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm the babby adeptus mechanicus. :3:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Screaming Idiot posted:

How the gently caress are they going to incorporate the fact that in WH40K canon space elves literally hosed a hole into the universe and created a hermaphroditic god of hedonism into the children's book series

Slaanesh will be retconned into the chaos god of bullying. Eldar were just giving so many swirlies.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

The Moon Monster posted:

Slaanesh will be retconned into the chaos god of bullying. Eldar were just giving so many swirlies.

Nah Khorne is bullying.

WEDGIES FOR THE WEDGIE GOD, SWIRLIES IN THE SWIRLY THRONE

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

The little girl with the hammer is goddamn adorable and I will hear no nay-saying about novels involving her.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

The little girl with the hammer is goddamn adorable and I will hear no nay-saying about novels involving her.

Judging from fans of the hobby, I am super uncomfortable about how they will react to these stories on down the line as well as the influx of children into the hobby. Like, I would not trust the dude with the MLP army around kids.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
OH NO, NOT THE WH40K CANON!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Judging from fans of the hobby, I am super uncomfortable about how they will react to these stories on down the line as well as the influx of children into the hobby. Like, I would not trust the dude with the MLP army around kids.

c'mon Alessio Cavatore isn't that bad.

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

I want to see Inquisitor Frizzle's Magic Black Ship. Just replace the lizard with a servo skull and you're set.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Yeah the Venn diagram of neckbeards convinced of sjw conspiracies and 40K players, it's like two circles overlapping each other a hundred percent

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
A hijab? How dare you bring up items with religious connotation in the Warhammer universe?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
This is probably the best thing GW has ever done

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

MizPiz posted:

After some thoughts and prayers, I've decided to just go ahead and post this, even though doesn't really belong in the thread

https://twitter.com/zeldawilliams/status/996508862076211200?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F
Yo I need some nerd expert to help me out. Peep that anime robit on the right. I know that I bought a box with something like this on vacation when I was real young but I just can't find out what series it came from because I'm pretty sure that the ones I bought were fakes

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

mango sentinel posted:

I'm the al pacino marine btw

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Tin Tim posted:

Yo I need some nerd expert to help me out. Peep that anime robit on the right. I know that I bought a box with something like this on vacation when I was real young but I just can't find out what series it came from because I'm pretty sure that the ones I bought were fakes

Its the Orguss from Super DImension Century Orguss.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

muggins posted:

Yeah the Venn diagram of neckbeards convinced of sjw conspiracies and 40K players, it's like two circles overlapping each other a hundred percent

Making lovely people angry is extremely good

Tin Tim posted:

I'm the al pacino marine btw

He got around

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

SRM posted:

He got around

"Do you know what a heretic is? A heretic is an astartes that don't fly straight."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

ADB is, unsurprisingly, correct about all of this.

ADB posted:

We're not holders of the eternal flame.
Sadly, it won't stop the whining, but this is the perfect answer to end the entire argument.

EthanSteele posted:

Its the Orguss from Super DImension Century Orguss.
I always loved their flippy helmet heads.