Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

ZypherIM posted:

On an aside, do you guys try to leverage the humiliate wargoal to collect those sweet, sweet MP rewards?

The way I play it's often not worth the effort due to needing 100% warscore, or utter defeat. Which is difficult when they're close to your power and having a collection of alliances that would rival yours. Maybe if I see them in a moment of weakness where I don't need anything else from their country. :shrug:

EDIT: Yeah, forgot about that Humiliate for the age goal. Do it at least once, forget about it afterward.

Anyway Coalition war turned out well, they never rolled together so picking off their smaller armies made my war score fat. Even Ethiopia exceeded my expectations, taking out Hormuz (though it weirdly dithered when sitting on their capital for a few months). Bengal got smashed once and then distracted itself by going after my widely spread vassals. So I got out of it bigger and just as bad an AE target as before! Thinking of setting up rolling truces so they don't do this again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does the Show Strength (or whatever it’s called, the 100% warscore option) peace deal count as humiliation for the age objective?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hold on a sec, humiliate actually does something?? Goddamnit

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jay Rust posted:

Does the Show Strength (or whatever it’s called, the 100% warscore option) peace deal count as humiliation for the age objective?

Nope, and this is totally intentional and not an oversight according to Paradox. It's dumb and bad.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Sage Grimm posted:

The way I play it's often not worth the effort due to needing 100% warscore,

Humiliate needs 40%, not 100.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Oops, I was thinking of Humiliate Rival CB instead of the peace deal Humiliate. You're right.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Huh, as effective as cannons indeed.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

Oh I meant like click here and New general gets plopped onto the army, more as a helpful thing to new players rather than those experienced in balancing their points

I suppose at this point most players from now on arnt going to be new though

It would be nice to just have a "roll new general" button on the general death popup, though, as a convenience feature.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

That would add up to a lot of wasted mil points unless you're constantly at war

It would actually be really cool if there was some option to automatically spend MP on something when you're at the cap rather than the points vanishing into the aether.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fister Roboto posted:

It would actually be really cool if there was some option to automatically spend MP on something when you're at the cap rather than the points vanishing into the aether.

I'm still not clear what purpose the cap serves, or at least such a low one. Not spending a big pile of points and just sitting on it is an opportunity cost itself.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

ZypherIM posted:

One thing that I didn't realize for a while and am bad at managing is that the influence of your estates increases the bonuses they give (province wise along with nation wide), along with the number bonuses on their actions. So if you shake them down for monarch points and they're high influence you can get like 150 (not sure if it goes higher, that was something like 75% influence). Then the balancing act is that going over 80% for too long is really bad, but you get rewarded for riding that line. Overall there is a surprising amount of depth to the whole system that I enjoy, though I am really bad at trying to leverage it.

On an aside, do you guys try to leverage the humiliate wargoal to collect those sweet, sweet MP rewards?

You get 200 monarch points if they're at 100 influence. Kind of useful as a two province minor, where your second province is worth like 40% influence and you can rotate it between estates.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Fuligin posted:

Estates are Fine, just boring compared to what people hoped for. If we're lucky they'll be overhauled someday

Someone else in this thread mentioned that it'd be neat if your government wasn't selected like it is now but was rather the result of your support for estates, which would be fun.

Right now, especially later in the game, it's just an annoying popup where you need to give them a couple provinces every now and again. It's not particularly fun or interesting, just a hassle.

Red Bones posted:

In the EU4 Q&A Jake mentioned that estates are going to be part of the base game in 1.26, and also that they will no longer demand a minimum number of provinces - so it sounds like they'll become more of an opt-in system rather than a mandatory hassle.

This sounds nice.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 20, 2018

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

In the EU4 Q&A Jake mentioned that estates are going to be part of the base game in 1.26, and also that they will no longer demand a minimum number of provinces - so it sounds like they'll become more of an opt-in system rather than a mandatory hassle.

E: I haven't seen the whole Q&A, just that one clip, so I don't know if they are also integrated into any government systems. But integrating them into the base game opens them up to being integrated into more systems in the future, even if they aren't doing it in the latest expansion just yet.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 20, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

I'm still not clear what purpose the cap serves, or at least such a low one. Not spending a big pile of points and just sitting on it is an opportunity cost itself.

The main reason is to prevent you from spending MP on nothing but tech and teching up absurdly ahead of time. That's not really a problem anymore for ADM and DIP, but it definitely would be for MIL. If I could spend my sword mana on literally nothing but tech, that's exactly what I'd do.

e: maybe an idea group or two

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 20, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

That would be pretty easily solved by having the ahead of time cost penalty ramp up exponentially past a point though

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Fister Roboto posted:

Easiest way would be to have points in excess of the cap get put into a development pool that could be spent on development later. Outside of seeding institutions, developing early is usually better than developing later so that you get the bonuses for a longer period of time. It's probably exploitable in some ways, but how often are people at the point cap?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Red Bones posted:

E: I haven't seen the whole Q&A, just that one clip, so I don't know if they are also integrated into any government systems. But integrating them into the base game opens them up to being integrated into more systems in the future, even if they aren't doing it in the latest expansion just yet.

Dope, finally hopefully estates will be kinda a fun thing instead of the kinda annoying with a nice bonus thing.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I think the problem with estates for me is that they are just constantly arseholes, either demanding stuff or taking money/points away from you

Incorporating it into the base game might help, and may give you the feeling like the king of France when you finally subdue the Nobel estate

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

With the Mamluks at least, you start with the nobles just having too much stuff. So was kinda interesting slowly chunking them down to size.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Everyone would almost certainly hate it but I think it might do good things to the balance if autonomy naturally trended up rather than down. At that point estates would be one of the main ways to actually get stuff out of your provinces without constantly facing rebellion.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That sounds terrible, especially since usually the majority of your provinces have a 75% autonomy floor.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

It also wouldn't make any sense historically. The period covered by the game saw the evolution of the modern nation-states out of the decentralised feudal model, why would autonomy tick up?

reignonyourparade posted:

Everyone would almost certainly hate it

You got that right :v:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Giving you the tools over time to bring autonomy down would be kinda neat. Like say Absolutism and maybe even Innovativeness less you use the 'lower autonomy' button with almost no ill effects (at some level of absolutism)

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Or maybe they could fix broken stuff before trying to fix things that kinda work?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Wafflecopper posted:

Groogy, any chance we can get something like the new dilpo interface but for missionaries? I'm doing coptomans and managing my 5 missionaries constantly suuuuucks

You do know there is a macrobuilder for missionaries?

Tahirovic posted:

Or maybe they could fix broken stuff before trying to fix things that kinda work?

You have something specific in mind?

Groogy fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 21, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

You do know there is a macrobuilder for missionaries?

Isn't that screen just a less informative (it doesn't show unity value) and less accessible (two clicks instead of one) version of the one I get when I click the cross alert that pops up when a conversion finishes? Basically I just want my missionaries to auto-convert cored provinces without any input from me. If they go for provinces with the best conversion time:religious unity ratio first then even better.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 21, 2018

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I haven't picked up this game in a while, and I haven't bought any DLC since Common Sense (so, everything from The Cossacks on). Getting all of them seems a bit much, even with the sale, so if you had to pick one or two what would be best? The OP has three of them as "major", and no info on Cradle of Civilization, so hopefully this isn't too redundant a question.

e: And literally asked on the last page. Probably should have checked there next.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 21, 2018

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Honestly the religious/cultural conversion process needs a complete overhaul. Pressing a button, waiting a long time, maybe get a revolt, completes and some numbers go up. It's not engaging. And it makes more sense as a country level thing than as the ruler of the nation prosecuting one specific province of a religion and all the rest are left alone. Maybe like just make a policy thing you can set per religion/culture like Tolerant/Passive Oppression/Active Oppression. Make Active Oppression kind of like a player initiated disaster if the number of wrong religion provinces is too high, getting events from right religion provinces pledging support, wrong ones revolting or becoming less productive etc‚ giving the opportunity for foreign nations to intervene rarely and such. Passive giving a random mtth conversion chance per province but has more bad events that aren't revolts. Tolerant not doing much domestically but decreasing foreign opinions and increasing likelihood of centers of reformation spawning and maybe refugee events. Maybe culture/tag/era specific ones like Inquisition, Encourage Colonial Migration (Colonial nations really need more religious/cultural diversity), Encourage Diversity etc.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jel Shaker posted:

Oh I meant like click here and New general gets plopped onto the army, more as a helpful thing to new players rather than those experienced in balancing their points

I suppose at this point most players from now on arnt going to be new though

...unless i'm missing something all you need to do is click on an army without leader and recruit a general and it will automatically join that army?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Groogy posted:

You have something specific in mind?
This game has many things that need attention:
- fix Ming and the really stupid tributary mechanic, especially the fact it's a diplo option and not war only
- make the parliament system not suck
- enemy allies that can't contribute to a war but wont peace out for 5 years
- natives in the Americas
- all the bugs in the events for Japan
- combat system
- merge army tradition and professionalism
- buff/replace some of the more useless splendor/age mechanics

Not that I am all that happy with the autonomy system either, it really sucks mid game when you conquer lands and know they are pretty much useless. States are a hard cap and those are hardly ever fun.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

We have very different definitions of the word 'broken'

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

- all the bugs in the events for Japan
Um, isn't that the only thing that is broken? The rest may need improving or reworking but not fixing since they do "work".

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
That's semantics really. I mean you can say the MoH/Ming are working as intended and thus not broken. It still messes up that whole area sucking the fun out of it.
If you want an indicator of how good MoH/Ming is, decouple the Diplo macro from the DLC and see how many people play with that expansion enabled.

It's really sad when I compare it to HoI4, which gets better with every patch now. EU4 peaked 2 years ago and at best stays on the same level with expansions now, often making the game worse. I know I keep repeating myself, but what EU4 needs is not more features with every expansion but revisiting of existing features and properly balancing/integrating them. We will see how that works out for the estate system.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Literally unplayable

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I play about 50% of my games in Asia (as not-Ming) and have no complaints with the Ming mechanics. :shrug: (Besides that AI Mingsplosion should happen far more frequently than it currently does)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

That's semantics really. I mean you can say the MoH/Ming are working as intended and thus not broken. It still messes up that whole area sucking the fun out of it.
If you want an indicator of how good MoH/Ming is, decouple the Diplo macro from the DLC and see how many people play with that expansion enabled.

It's really sad when I compare it to HoI4, which gets better with every patch now. EU4 peaked 2 years ago and at best stays on the same level with expansions now, often making the game worse. I know I keep repeating myself, but what EU4 needs is not more features with every expansion but revisiting of existing features and properly balancing/integrating them. We will see how that works out for the estate system.

The ming system could stand to be better still, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's outright broken and thus should be #1 priority for a rework. At this point, the ming outrage is pretty heavy hyperbole. They're annoying sometimes but that's about it.

Like, everything you mentioned "kinda works" just like you say the estates system does. I would say the estates system is currently in worse shape than most of the stuff you mentioned, including the Ming system, so them focusing on improving it this patch seems fine to me.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Drone posted:

I play about 50% of my games in Asia (as not-Ming) and have no complaints with the Ming mechanics. :shrug: (Besides that AI Mingsplosion should happen far more frequently than it currently does)

It does in our internal build during nightly. Or well not super often but last automated test, 5 out of 6 end games did not feature a Ming anymore and instead tons of fractured different states there. (the one where Ming was still there had lost Canton to Ayut.... the Thai nation)

Though of course that is 1821, if you sitting nearby it's going to feel like it never happens with that. I should check out when exactly they do explode. We haven't tweaked anything with it as far as I can remember so this should be happening in the live build as well. Otherwise maybe the map changes somehow have made the Ming position weaker? We did on purpose put impassable terrain and restructured Burma area to try and prevent Ming influence being too strong in India.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 22, 2018

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I quit my first try at the GB achievements when I saw the Mamluks were once again a Ming tributary. The whole mechanic utterly breaks as soon as Exploration ideas are involved (bonus points if it's Ming colonizing towards Africa).

I just don't get the point of the entire mechanic. Or what's supposed to be fun game play about it. When I play in that area I just become a tributary myself to avoid DoWs at a negligible cost, giving me free reign inside the sphere on top of it. This was especially stupid when I played Cebu.

Edit: it's not that I couldn't deal with Ming when fighting the Mamluks for Alexandria, it's just I don't want to because it's dumb. Either they march 3 stacks trough entire India to help them out or I am stuck in a war for 3+ years until they decide it's time to white peace.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

I just don't get the point of the entire mechanic. Or what's supposed to be fun game play about it.

eu4dlc.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tahirovic posted:

I quit my first try at the GB achievements when I saw the Mamluks were once again a Ming tributary. The whole mechanic utterly breaks as soon as Exploration ideas are involved (bonus points if it's Ming colonizing towards Africa).

I just don't get the point of the entire mechanic. Or what's supposed to be fun game play about it. When I play in that area I just become a tributary myself to avoid DoWs at a negligible cost, giving me free reign inside the sphere on top of it. This was especially stupid when I played Cebu.

Edit: it's not that I couldn't deal with Ming when fighting the Mamluks for Alexandria, it's just I don't want to because it's dumb. Either they march 3 stacks trough entire India to help them out or I am stuck in a war for 3+ years until they decide it's time to white peace.

In my experience Mamluks being a tributary would be an exceptional case. A colonial Ming does mean all bets are off but in the majority of games now, they don’t have any tributaries further away than central India. That is still a bit too far for my liking but not the end of the world, and we’ll see if it plays a bit better with the map changes anyway.

The bigger problem is that they still pass every reform by 1600 and keep the mandate for the entire game, every game, unless you deliberately make that not happen. The AI just can’t orchestrate a Ming loss of power. The tricks that allow a player controlled Manchu to do it at a great numerical disadvantage are totally beyond the AI, even if they are at much less of a disadvantage. Even if minors split off of them, this doesn’t lead to problems in the long run because Ming just makes them tributaries rather than try to reconquer them! In most games they also stay constantly at 100 mandate; this doesn’t happen every game because they not infrequently get a border with Russia that makes mandate gain very slow. Even then though, they are just too big and rich to fail. A big Russia can beat them in every battle and still run out of manpower before they run out of mercs.

Something that would probably be a pain to even test, but that I would like to see, would be a system where tributaries and mandate are linked to individual emperors and not the state as a whole. Just because Emperor 666 the Great ruled wisely for 30 years and definitely had 100% approval rating from god, does not mean that his heir, Emperor 110 the Inadequate, should benefit forever from his high quality, nor that every nation in east Asia should extend him the same respect. If Ming could not sit at 100 mandate for centuries but every new emperor needed to rebuild tributary relationships and start from a stat-dependent lower amount of mandate, I think they would be less ridiculous.