Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't think comparing it to the Wii which sold very well but has six games worth playing and a lovely gimmick that people forgot the second they got bored of WiiSports is really where you wanna go.

Wii was also popular cause it was a party thing. Nobody have party with helmet on usually. That bomb diffusal game is the only thing ive seen in that vein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The point is that it has appeal to people outside of pathetic nerds and will likely sell like hotcakes when it's refined and relatively cheap. Whether developers actually do innovative and interesting poo poo with it instead of pumping out shovelware titles by the truckload to capitalize on the popularity is totally on them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tethering it to a ps or pc is not the future.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Real hurthling! posted:

Tethering it to a ps or pc is not the future.

Did I say that?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DrNutt posted:

People can scoff at VR now while the price point to entry is exceedingly high, but if they can get a reasonably well done version down to about 150-200 that motherfucker will be the next Wii. Even people who aren't into games are completely floored by it (if they're not one of the people who hurl).

I don't give a gently caress about VR but lose the bullshit setup and wires etc and put out a good add-on for $150 and even I would jump. I mean...look at how many Kinnect boxes Microsoft managed to push, a device that was absolute garbage from day 1, added NOTHING to the gaming landscape, and received zero support after 6 months. Older gamers are probably still going to stay attached to classical gaming within a square frame, which is its own art form.

The difference between this and other fads is that despite VR being mostly a bad fit for classic gaming genres...it is absolutely the future "of something".

I think SBH outlines the ups and downs pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAYxPb6zX0k

But a lot of other people are seeing new possibilities in the tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwcHnG8EDTw

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DrNutt posted:

Did I say that?

You want more psvr

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I don't give a gently caress about VR but lose the bullshit setup and wires etc and put out a good add-on for $150 and even I would jump. I mean...look at how many Kinnect boxes Microsoft managed to push, a device that was absolute garbage from day 1, added NOTHING to the gaming landscape, and received zero support after 6 months. Older gamers are probably still going to stay attached to classical gaming within a square frame, which is its own art form.

The difference between this and other fads is that despite VR being mostly a bad fit for classic gaming genres...it is absolutely the future "of something".

I think SBH outlines the ups and downs pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAYxPb6zX0k

But a lot of other people are seeing new possibilities in the tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwcHnG8EDTw

I think it's just funny watching people blow off VR as some kind of fad because of the limitations it currently has. It'd be like going back and looking at the earliest cars and saying "that tech isn't going anywhere, why would I bother with that when I have a perfectly good horse??"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Real hurthling! posted:

You want more psvr

No I don't, I don't even want PSVR right now. I want a theoretical version of VR in the near future which is high resolution, high fidelity, lightweight, and inexpensive.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DrNutt posted:

No I don't, I don't even want PSVR right now. I want a theoretical version of VR in the near future which is high resolution, high fidelity, lightweight, and inexpensive.

Take drugs

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

vr this gen is proof of concept that it can work. still gotta work on that motion sickness problem if they want it to really take off tho

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Drugs loving own but you can only do so much LSD before you become scattered and distant.

How about I keep my lovely personality and ego and STILL talk with VR Barack No Jobba in the White House?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk if anyone mentioned it, but yakuza 3-5 are getting ps4 remasters. I'm excited to try the whole series out

https://gematsu.com/2018/05/yakuza-3-4-and-5-remasters-announced-for-ps4

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
gently caress I wish there was a Vanquish HD or similar with a new infinity mode where you just fight across spaces with randomly generated cover/buildings forever until it becomes impossible.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

gently caress I wish there was a Vanquish HD or similar with a new infinity mode where you just fight across spaces with randomly generated cover/buildings forever until it becomes impossible.

:same:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

tech dudes in 1993 posted:

vr this gen is proof of concept that it can work. still gotta work on that motion sickness problem if they want it to really take off tho

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Edit: Dammit, beaten

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk if anyone mentioned it, but yakuza 3-5 are getting ps4 remasters. I'm excited to try the whole series out

As a new fan of the series, let me just say

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

On the topic of VR, I just recently came across what looks like an absolute killer app for it.

Beat Saber for Vive. You can get custom songs for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAlwSC5PQZo&t=57s

Some guys have even been making Darth Maul dual-saber mods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVb9a6owJbA&t=60s

If something like this was on the PSVR I'd drop some cash for it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Manatee Cannon posted:

This is great news. With that, the whole series will be playable on PS4! Now finally do the Demons Souls remaster so we can play all Souls games on PS4 :argh:

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 22, 2018

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I would love to have a VR set up, but the price is just far too high.

I expect that is true for a lot of people like me (most casuals) that we want to play VR games and mess around with the capabilities but cannot afford it at all.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm going to buy a cheap PSVR on Black Friday just for Rez and Wipeout

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wow, I'm shocked. I heard one of the voice actors in there got busted for cocaine so I'm amazed they didn't just skip over whichever game that was.

Still sad that Yakuza hasn't gained Nier Automata acclaim. With that much attention, they could afford to beef things up maybe 60% of the N Sane Trilogy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think they're just ports rather than full remakes like the two kiwami games, so it's not like they'd need to bring any voice actors back in for anything

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Last of Us: swan song for the PS3

The Last of Us 2: swan song for the PS4??

:thunk:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think they're just ports rather than full remakes like the two kiwami games, so it's not like they'd need to bring any voice actors back in for anything

Oh I know, I'm just making a joke about them taking drug charges so seriously they bury'd anything they were involved in. :v:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Some guys have even been making Darth Maul dual-saber mods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVb9a6owJbA&t=60s

If something like this was on the PSVR I'd drop some cash for it.

This. This is the nerdiest poo poo of all. Star Wars Kids meets Guitar Hero Party Douche.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Last of Us: swan song for the PS3

The Last of Us 2: swan song for the PS4??

:thunk:

Absofuckinlutely.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
After taking a nine month break I returned to Yakuza 0. I was crossing town on a mission of vengeance when I stopped to help Michael Jackson make a music video, discovered an underground catfighting scene, began buying up erotic massage parlors, and assigned a schoolgirl to manage my businesses. Then I raced slot cars and forgot what I was supposed to do.

I wish I had returned to the game sooner. 10/10

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I can't imagine anyone comparing TV with VR while playing RE7 or Wipeout and saying TV is better, comfort issues aside. Meet the lovely hardware halfway and you really get the sensation of being in a hovercraft or having a man chase you with a shovel, it's incredible. Argue over when or whether normies will jump in, but VR can be utterly compelling in ways that a TV screen just isn't capable of.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Cinnamon Bear posted:

After taking a nine month break I returned to Yakuza 0. I was crossing town on a mission of vengeance when I stopped to help Michael Jackson make a music video, discovered an underground catfighting scene, began buying up erotic massage parlors, and assigned a schoolgirl to manage my businesses. Then I raced slot cars and forgot what I was supposed to do.

I wish I had returned to the game sooner. 10/10

No no, you are playing it exactly right!

When I was last playing 0 (still need to finish it,) I'd catch myself spending at least an hour on the whole real estate sidegame and think, wh-what... game is this I am playing...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VR is cool and good. Killer apps are few and far between. Good implementation even rarer.

For me personally I think Beat Saber could sell a fuckload of headsets.

I've also heard super good things about Wipeout VR

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This. This is the nerdiest poo poo of all. Star Wars Kids meets Guitar Hero Party Douche.

Nah that looks fun as gently caress and I'd love to have a go or ten

Dudes got a sweet as hell setup and I'm immensely jealous.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
VR right now is like holidaying in a foreign country. Its probably a great experience but its very expensive and I've barely seen the country i live in.

I'm not sure who brexit is in this metaphor.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

I can't imagine anyone comparing TV with VR while playing RE7 or Wipeout and saying TV is better, comfort issues aside. Meet the lovely hardware halfway and you really get the sensation of being in a hovercraft or having a man chase you with a shovel, it's incredible. Argue over when or whether normies will jump in, but VR can be utterly compelling in ways that a TV screen just isn't capable of.

The flat box frame of a tv screen carries with it implications of previous art/media forms over hundreds of years that are compelling in their own ways. The history of television, film, painting, photography, literature, block print, etc. all play within borders of a sort. The implications of a frame make the art work as much about what is left out as what is included. One absolutely can paint on a circular frame, or use no frame at all, or paint on a vase, a body, or a sidewalk, but the history of painting and other art forms is littered with a tacit acknowledgement that the rectangular frame is both a utilitarian and symbolic reference point for the viewer. It doesn't matter that the reference point is somewhat arbitrary because it is socially consistent and valuable, just as the arbitrary 12cm diameter of a Compact Disc is socially consistent and valuable.

I think it's profoundly naive to assert that VR supplants the aims, methods, and intrinsic value of classic televisual communication and its predecessors, especially since VR is currently almost exclusively involved in the reproduction and iteration of said televisual content. The strengths of VR have more in common with instalation and performance art at this point than they do with fine art forms or media of prominence since the advent of mechanical reproduction. For one, the frame of reference, and hence the implied narrative involvement are profoundly altered by the act of 'being there' rather than 'viewing that', and televisual conceits such as voyeurism, perspective, agency, the edit, montage, sense of time, passivity/activity etc are all altered in distinct ways when the jump is made away from the frame.

VR is not the next videogame, the next cinema, painting, photography, television, etc. It stands decidedly removed from the strengths of those mediums and cannot accurately convey their strengths no matter the effort. It is something new and as yet undefined, no better and no worse, and it does not invalidate the mediums that precede it, just as the novelty of the camera obscura did not invalidate the oil painting, but only furthered the development of human relationships with visual representation.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Nah that looks fun as gently caress and I'd love to have a go or ten

I never said it didn't look fun.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

CrRoMa posted:

PSnow

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Manatee Cannon posted:

Where's my Kenzan+Ishin bundle you loving cowards

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Listening to the latest Rebel Fm and this new call of duty might be the first I rush to buy since MW2.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CrRoMa posted:

VR right now is like holidaying in a foreign country. Its probably a great experience but its very expensive and I've barely seen the country i live in.

lol what

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Playstation Home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Instant Grat posted:

Where's my Kenzan+Ishin bundle you loving cowards