Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Serf posted:

Removing Insanity and Corruption would go a long way. Rewriting all the ancestry tables to have less dark/comedic results. Altering some of the Paths and spells that use Insanity and Corruption too, I reckon. At least those are the things I've been plugging away at with my normie and Eberron hacks.

Yeah, it's literally just Insanity/Corruption, which are mechanics that work great for what SotDL is about (a gritty low fantasy WFRP-adjacent game) but get in the way of more traditional heroic fantasy stuff.

I suspect the generic fantasy game will end up ditching those, repurpose the level 0 stuff into rules for a "you play the smith/priest/baker's apprentice and don't die a horrible death" style prologue, and then just shuffle the core races around so it has the "classic" D&D races in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I'll be running SOTDL for three of my friends this weekend, using the Tales of the Demon Lord campaign. It's the first time any of us will be trying the system, though we are familiar with the current and previous two editions of DnD, as well as some of the other DnD adjacent games like 13th age. Any tips regarding running that campaign or this system in general? Planning to run it RAW starting out, but with lot's of willingness to fudge and adjust as we go. Already told them to be prepared to create a backup character in case of unexpected death, especially at lvl 0.

Serf
May 5, 2011

glitchwraith posted:

I'll be running SOTDL for three of my friends this weekend, using the Tales of the Demon Lord campaign. It's the first time any of us will be trying the system, though we are familiar with the current and previous two editions of DnD, as well as some of the other DnD adjacent games like 13th age. Any tips regarding running that campaign or this system in general? Planning to run it RAW starting out, but with lot's of willingness to fudge and adjust as we go. Already told them to be prepared to create a backup character in case of unexpected death, especially at lvl 0.

The level 0 adventure for Tales is super lethal several times over. PCs will most likely die in both of the big combats. Consider busting the Rude Boys down to just bandits instead of hired killers. Also you may want to remove the ghoul entirely, as it will easily destroy a party of level 0 PCs. The organ filch alone will be more than enough and could still kill off the group, but handling it alone would be an appropriate SotDL encounter.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Personally, I also find Changelings and Clockworks don't really jive with the sort of fantasy I want to tell stories about;
Man run whatever you want but I gotta at least state my disagreement here - I don't think there's any issue with standard high fantasy that has races outside the tolkien standard. I'm running this as weird but mostly thematically standard high fantasy and the robot fits in great - he vaguely distrusts creatures made of flesh unless they seem like authority figures, in which case he's inclined to obey. So a bit stuffy like the paladin stereotype but nothing outside the norm. It makes more sense to me, I dunno, firbolgs or whatever you have in d&d these days.

frankly I think tolkien would have put a robot buddy in moria if he thought of it :colbert:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 17, 2018

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Oh, yeah, mate I don't want to be combative about it. Those two races just don't really gel with the setting I've been putting fantasy games in for years. I'm down with gonzo characters. Dryads and Merfolk are in my regular options, and I've had undead, and ifrits too. At the risk of jerking off about my it, one nation is equal parts intelligent Elephants and the humans they keep as companions / pets.

Don't want to rag on nobody's jam

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't want to be combative either but I think it's extremely carbon-centric to leave behind the robots with souls :(

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Man run whatever you want but I gotta at least state my disagreement here - I don't think there's any issue with standard high fantasy that has races outside the tolkien standard. I'm running this as weird but mostly thematically standard high fantasy and the robot fits in great - he vaguely distrusts creatures made of flesh unless they seem like authority figures, in which case he's inclined to obey. So a bit stuffy like the paladin stereotype but nothing outside the norm. It makes more sense to me, I dunno, firbolgs or whatever you have in d&d these days.

frankly I think tolkien would have put a robot buddy in moria if he thought of it :colbert:

If Tolkien had included robots or automata in Lord of the Rings they 100% would have been evil.

Grond is halfway there anyways.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If Tolkien had included robots or automata

he did, they're called dwarves

and eru iluvatar gave them the gift of free will

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Serf posted:

The level 0 adventure for Tales is super lethal several times over. PCs will most likely die in both of the big combats. Consider busting the Rude Boys down to just bandits instead of hired killers. Also you may want to remove the ghoul entirely, as it will easily destroy a party of level 0 PCs. The organ filch alone will be more than enough and could still kill off the group, but handling it alone would be an appropriate SotDL encounter.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will implement the changes, unless my players just insist on keeping the lethality high. The ghoul seems especially difficult and unnecessary, considering it isn't even the focus of the adventure, and takes attention away from the big bad.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

I've been trying to find time to read up on this game and after several months of waiting, I finally found it (thanks unemployment!).

Coincidentally, my GM for my normal weekly game is going to be absent this week, so I was thinking about running a one-shot of this. I was looking at the Dead by Dawn starting adventure and I was wondering if anyone had some advice on it.

For those not familiar with it, it's a level 0 adventure in which the PCs find themselves in a tavern owned by a lovely dwarven couple who have retired from adventuring. In the nearby woods there's a tree possessed by a malevolent nature spirit what summons hordes of the undead. A priest of the New God is set to perform an annual ritual to pacify the spirit, but is found dead in one of the suites. The PCs have to defend the inn from an onslaught of the undead.

I have 3 players and was thinking about giving them 6 character sheets so they can pick a PC and a secondary character to aid in the defense. That should allow me to avoid pulling punches.

The only concern I have is that I don't think the players are going to be especially interested in running 0 level characters, even in a one shot. I could throw together a set of level 3 characters for them, does anyone have any recommendations on beginning Expert adventures that could be easily handled in one night?

They have experience in Pathfinder and 5e so the system shouldn't have any major hurdles for learning.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Changeling posted:

I've been trying to find time to read up on this game and after several months of waiting, I finally found it (thanks unemployment!).

Coincidentally, my GM for my normal weekly game is going to be absent this week, so I was thinking about running a one-shot of this. I was looking at the Dead by Dawn starting adventure and I was wondering if anyone had some advice on it.

For those not familiar with it, it's a level 0 adventure in which the PCs find themselves in a tavern owned by a lovely dwarven couple who have retired from adventuring. In the nearby woods there's a tree possessed by a malevolent nature spirit what summons hordes of the undead. A priest of the New God is set to perform an annual ritual to pacify the spirit, but is found dead in one of the suites. The PCs have to defend the inn from an onslaught of the undead.

I have 3 players and was thinking about giving them 6 character sheets so they can pick a PC and a secondary character to aid in the defense. That should allow me to avoid pulling punches.

The only concern I have is that I don't think the players are going to be especially interested in running 0 level characters, even in a one shot. I could throw together a set of level 3 characters for them, does anyone have any recommendations on beginning Expert adventures that could be easily handled in one night?

They have experience in Pathfinder and 5e so the system shouldn't have any major hurdles for learning.

Having the players control 2 characters who are level 0 is a good idea. That adventure can be brutal in terms of combat stuff, but it depends on how lucky they get with rolls. Another compromise to consider is letting their main characters be level 1 and their support characters be level 0.

If you just want to run an Expert adventure, I can recommend "Feast of the Father." I ran it a while back and it went really well. Took about 3 hours to get through, and if any of your players are fans of Lovecraft they'll love discovering which story it is based on.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Serf posted:

Having the players control 2 characters who are level 0 is a good idea. That adventure can be brutal in terms of combat stuff, but it depends on how lucky they get with rolls. Another compromise to consider is letting their main characters be level 1 and their support characters be level 0.

If you just want to run an Expert adventure, I can recommend "Feast of the Father." I ran it a while back and it went really well. Took about 3 hours to get through, and if any of your players are fans of Lovecraft they'll love discovering which story it is based on.

They are! I will look into this as well, I'll have to be prepped by Friday but I think these adventures do a pretty good job of giving you the most important information without getting lost in detail. What attracted me to Dead by Dawn is the fact that it has this structured element to it and a bit of randomness from the Unexpected Events or whatever it's called.

My main concern will just be time (the third player will get there later and tends to get easily distracted before we start sessions) for creating characters. I'll check out Feast of the Father and weigh my options. Thanks!

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

So, my game last weekend went pretty well. Thanks again, Serf, for your advice. The lvl 0 adventure ended up being just the right difficulty. That said, I wish I had done the same for the lvl 1 adventure. The cultists ended up making it to the island and fighting the Rude Boys. Add in the gremlins and demon possession/arrival, and the whole thing became a cluster gently caress. The Rude Boys still seemed too strong, especially given their numbers. I was able to keep my group alive by fudging a few rolls and having the gang focus more on the cultists and demon. That said, it was a pain to keep up with everything in a way that got back to the players quickly. I abstracted where I thought appropriate, but probably should have planned it out better.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Dead By Dawn stands out as one of the most fun adventures we've done but everyone we played with was very much into the night of the living dead vibe and I spent a lot of time fleshing it out. It's absolutely perfect for dipping people into the setting. As the DM I found it really easy to scale the adventure on the fly to how the party was performing.

We've also done feast of the father. I didn't like that one as much but that was mostly because I didn't run it as well.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Are Curse / Forbidden / Necromancy significantly stronger than other spell schools? I'm curious if the Corruption drawback associated with them is there to mechanically balance them or if it's just for flavor; if it's the latter, I'm thinking of doing a thing where Water magic causes Corruption because the Demon Lord is winter-themed and causing a premature ice age. (And maybe de-Corrupting one of the schools that's currently Corrupt to compensate.)

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

The corruption is partially a flavor thing because forbidden spells include things like tearing people's flesh apart or implanting worms in them. I think it might also be a balance consideration because Part Flesh From Bone does like 6d6 damage and Soul Exchange can create a permanent affliction with a decent roll.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fair enough. In that case I'll probably just make it a purely narrative thing where using ice magic makes you kind of unpopular. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Fair enough. In that case I'll probably just make it a purely narrative thing where using ice magic makes you kind of unpopular. :v:

I would go ahead and make Ice corrupted because it's better thematically.

You can either de-corrupt a corrupted tradition in exchange (just keep an eye out for numbers that are too big if you really want to make sure nothing bad happens), or just leave them corrupted - it's not like there's a shortage of traditions in the game to pick from.

While we're on the topic of corrupted traditions, boo-hiss that SotDL makes Necromancy corrupted, it's a lazy cop-out. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 22, 2018

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lemon-Lime posted:

While we're on the topic of corrupted traditions, boo-hiss that SotDL makes Necromancy corrupted, it's a lazy cop-out. :v:

makes sense to me

the setting hinges on cyclical reincarnation, with interludes in hell for those who were lovely or cursed in life. necromancy is the act of using magic to interrupt or break that cycle. if i were father death, one of the first things i'd have done when mortals first developed necromancy was make using it a hell-worthy spiritual offense

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

This was exactly what I was thinking of, heh.

Using ice magic is draining the warmth of the entire world and contributing to the oncoming eternal winter. Reanimating corpses on the other hand is just being efficient and sensible; reduce, re-use, recycle!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Reanimating corpses on the other hand is just being efficient and sensible; reduce, re-use, recycle!

the magic that does the reanimating physically rips a not-yet-reincarnated soul from the halls of the underworld to provide the motive force and control mechanism for those corpses

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zeal posted:

the magic that does the reanimating physically rips a not-yet-reincarnated soul from the halls of the underworld to provide the motive force and control mechanism for those corpses

When you say "physically", do you mean that something travels through space from the location of the underworld and lodges itself in a location inside the body?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I mean that's how Clockworks...work, right?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

zeal posted:

so what you're telling me is you get to tell the Reaper to go pound sand and you get to be a kickin' rad skeltal

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Springfield Fatts posted:

I mean that's how Clockworks...work, right?

I assumed that the acquisition of the soul was more, like, astral than physical.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Subjunctive posted:

When you say "physically", do you mean that something travels through space from the location of the underworld and lodges itself in a location inside the body?

yes. i mean there are souls physically wandering the halls of Father Death's palace in the Underworld, in the process of having the memories and accumulated baggage of their previous life stripped away until they're ready to be reaped by the scythe of one of the several Grim Reapers who do most of the unquiet soul management in the Underworld. reaping sends the soul back into the world, to inhabit newborn babies and newly wakened clockworks. what necromancy does is pluck ghosts in that interstitial period, between entering the Underworld and their final reaping, out of the Underworld and drags them back to Urth to be used as the power source and guidance system for necromantic magical effects

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

so what you're telling me is you get to tell the Reaper to go pound sand and you get to be a kickin' rad skeltal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jtpf8N5IDE

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94yWGkoA6o

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Has anyone made a resource that has all the various Paths available as a single index? Not the full text like the not-SDL page used to provide, but a basic list for all of the tiers across the books so that a GM can show the full shopping list to their players?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think this is going to raise more questions than it answers for your players but here you go!!

http://schwalbentertainment.com/shadow-of-the-demon-lord-tables/paths/

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Man, that's... functional but the formatting is an eyesore.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Memnaelar posted:

Man, that's... functional but the formatting is an eyesore.
When you consult this table, roll will or gain 1d3 insanity. You can remove these points at any time by purchasing all of the books.

- The Demon Lord

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

I made google docs for my players with all the Paths and a one-line description, then they picked 2-4 that they were interested in and I added the full text for those.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

zeal posted:

necromancy is the act of using magic to interrupt or break that cycle.

In SotDL, yes. That's the lazy cop-out I mentioned, because necromancy and the death tradition don't have to be about making zombies and rotting people's souls. It's far more interesting when they're just a completely natural part of the balance, especially since the setting is so heavy on cycles.

e; the death tradition is actually way worse as an offender since it should be the tradition about enforcing the cycle, and instead it's the tradition about Conjuring Clouds Of Poison To Murder Everything.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 22, 2018

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I always get irrationally annoyed at people who try to make necromancy friendly and nice. Just let it be evil!

Serf
May 5, 2011

In games that aren't SotDL the defining Necromancy spell is Speak With Dead, which is pleasant and neutral for the most part. There's no equivalent in SotDL (probably because it has been the bane of many a murder mystery in too many D&D games) and to me that colors the rest of the tradition.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Serf posted:

In games that aren't SotDL the defining Necromancy spell is Speak With Dead, which is pleasant and neutral for the most part. There's no equivalent in SotDL (probably because it has been the bane of many a murder mystery in too many D&D games) and to me that colors the rest of the tradition.
On the other hand, witcher 3 goes all-in on a legit-evil speak with dead. I dunno if it'd work at a tabletop but it was quite good imo!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

On the other hand, witcher 3 goes all-in on a legit-evil speak with dead. I dunno if it'd work at a tabletop but it was quite good imo!

Can you enlighten me on how this worked?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Serf posted:

Can you enlighten me on how this worked?

There’s a guy who has critical information on where Geralt’s daughter is but he’s dead. Geralt’s girlfriend (or ex if you dump her) Yennifer basically taps the power of an ancient and magical grove sacred to the locals to force the dead man’s spirit to come back. During this brief resurrection he is in terrible agony and casting the spell destroys the grove, causing it to rot away.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

SunAndSpring posted:

There’s a guy who has critical information on where Geralt’s daughter is but he’s dead. Geralt’s girlfriend (or ex if you dump her) Yennifer basically taps the power of an ancient and magical grove sacred to the locals to force the dead man’s spirit to come back. During this brief resurrection he is in terrible agony and casting the spell destroys the grove, causing it to rot away.
Yeah - you're both implicitly torturing the man's spirit as you interrogate him, for the "crime" of having saved your daughter's life at the expense of his standing in the community and eventually his life, while also channeling and destroying the power of the local's holy place. You can choose how the protagonist feels about it but your sorceress girlfriend is gonna do it either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Sounds rad and more flavorful than Speak With Dead, which even specifies that you don't contact the soul, but the "residual memories" left behind in the corpse.