Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rudatron posted:

You assume correctly.

it is the best subforum

Turtlicious posted:

I had a weird moment during the tail end of DND. A bunch of the players were talking before the game and one player asked another player "What are you?" It made me extremely uncomfortable but it didn't seem to bother anyone else. And both players involved were different races than me.

It's weird I'm so used to conversation policing during DND, I feel like it's my space and I should say that I'm uncomfortable but I don't and I didn't because I realized my discomfort probably came from a bad place. This is the only place I have to talk about this as my girlfriend and I are not comfortable talking about race a lot of the time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I liked the one about the guy asking if it was ok for him to play as women in videogames if he didn't identify as one

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fallom posted:

I liked the one about the guy asking if it was ok for him to play as women in videogames if he didn't identify as one

Wait what?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Oh yeah you gotta see it to believe it. Probably 1/3 of the articles posted here are also posted unironically in TGRS

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
dungeons and dragons is a great red flag for knowing who not to talk to

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

The Kingfish posted:

Oh yeah you gotta see it to believe it. Probably 1/3 of the articles posted here are also posted unironically in TGRS

My fav TGRS post was in the science thread where a woman and a man were competing for a post-doc spot and 'the woman was clearly much better' but the man was going to get the spot. Clear misogyny. Just ignore the kicker that the woman didn't have the specific skill the role required.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Low Desert Punk posted:

dungeons and dragons is a great red flag for knowing who not to talk to

table top rpgs are fun with creative people and d&d stuff definitely has a lot of weird cultural baggage with stuff like racism and sexism baked into core assumptions; a lot of crpgs based on it like elder scrolls literally do poo poo like "black people have the racial power to fly into crazy berserker rages, women have higher charisma stats" completely uncritically and it's not asinine to suggest that the normalization of that thinking has something to do with why it was so easy to right radicalize virgin nerds

"is it okay to play a woman in a videogame if you aren't one" is some real psycho poo poo though

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I wanted to play a minority character in say, GTA. Do I need permission to do so? If so who do I ask? I'm so confused by this new development of asking for permission to play a character in a game from total strangers online.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

wizard on a water slide posted:

"is it okay to play a woman in a videogame if you aren't one" is some real psycho poo poo though

less psycho, more 'anxiety issue being exacerbated by terrible internet discourse' imo

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fallom posted:

On the one hand I get it, when your roleplaying a character outside your personal experience it's easy to fall into stereotypes. It's one thing to be a surly dwarf who drinks a lot and hates elves, But tapping into real world stereotypes is tricky and it's way easier to offend.

That said, unless your playing with strangers, it's better to try and mess things up than just play another brooding dark elf ranger or whatever.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the fantasy humanlike race of dwarves

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Unfunny Poster posted:

If I wanted to play a minority character in say, GTA. Do I need permission to do so? If so who do I ask? I'm so confused by this new development of asking for permission to play a character in a game from total strangers online.

yes, just ask the next black person you see if you have their permission. ensure you thank them properly by doing the power fist and saying "wakanda is real, brother/sister". you have to do this EVERYTIME you switch over to franklin though.

i made a list of every minority ive ever met with their phone numbers, addresses, and social media accounts for this exact reason.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Who cares that the forum that was made for calling everything racist is calling something racist, post brands

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Control Volume posted:

Who cares that the forum that was made for calling everything racist is calling something racist, post brands

you first

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-fRuoMIfpw

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/MrsYomaddy/status/998457120906403841

one of the most flawless shot: chasers i've ever seen

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/annakhachiyan/status/990760969394704384

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Why can't they have stock options if they're in a union

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why can't they have stock options if they're in a union

because he'd take them away i assume

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
stock options are a scam anyway.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the fantasy humanlike race of dwarves

As a jew I'm putting all of you on notice that none of you are allowed to play dwarves in any way, shape, or form :hai:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

One weird trick to lose 75% of your retirement in the 2000 class. Non-Lucent companies hate it!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Business Gorillas posted:

As a jew I'm putting all of you on notice that none of you are allowed to play dwarves in any way, shape, or form :hai:

what about a human who was raised dwarvish

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

what about a human who was raised dwarvish

No!!!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
what about a race that sets dwarves on fire

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm playing a Minotaur raised by a Dwarf in a Planescape campaign right now. It's fun.

But real cool people play Unknown Armies, the game of cosmic bumfights, not D&D.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
mines of (((moria)))

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Seyser Koze posted:

what about a race that sets dwarves on fire

i have reported this post to the moderators for antisemitism. enjoy your ban!!

nah
Mar 16, 2009

the bitcoin of weed posted:

any kid that aspires to be a COO should be bullied

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Business Gorillas posted:

uh I think you'll find it is gnomes that are the Jewish stereotype in d&d . maybe gnomes are Sephardic and dwarves are Ashkenazi?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what are you talking about dwarves are supposed to be scottish

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Getright downlo posted:

yes, just ask the next black person you see if you have their permission. ensure you thank them properly by doing the power fist and saying "wakanda is real, brother/sister". you have to do this EVERYTIME you switch over to franklin though.

i made a list of every minority ive ever met with their phone numbers, addresses, and social media accounts for this exact reason.

Thanks. This is some pro advice right here.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it is the best subforum

i really don't get what went on here that made this guy uncomfortable. can someone explain it to me?

Fallom posted:

i play a black guy in stardew valley and i guess i'm going to racism hell now

either that or the stardew valley devs are cause they didn't let me choose my grandpa's skin color

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe you'll figure it out one day if you play enough videogames

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Condiv posted:

i really don't get what went on here that made this guy uncomfortable. can someone explain it to me?

he clarified later

Turtlicious posted:

It was not this, it was "What are you?" "Oh in game? Elf" "No I meant like, I phrased that wrong, but like where are you from?" "OH, haha yeah I'm from Concord." "No... Uh I meant, I'm from New York but my mom was Chinese." :( "Oh... a lot of people think I'm phillipino but really etc. etc."

So I can see why it might be uncomfortable and it's a poor example of that forum's issues.

Now the ongoing meltdown over anti-monarchists is a different story.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Condiv posted:

"What are you?" is basically awkward phrasing that's trying to get at "where are you/is your family from?"/"what is your ethnicity/nationality/cultural background" but can come across as highly offputting because it carries a connotation that those distinctions are essential characteristics/describe different categories of things (even if it's not meant that way)

basically just think about how you can actually answer the question- the literal answer is "a human" but you'd get weird looks if you gave that reply because it's not actually what's being asked, while other answers convey an invalid level of distinction/essentiality (i.e. "I'm a white" or "I'm a black")

LGD has issued a correction as of 17:05 on May 22, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/MrsYomaddy/status/998457120906403841?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

LGD posted:

"What are you?" is basically awkward phrasing that's trying to get at "where are you/is your family from?"/"what is your ethnicity/nationality/cultural background" but can come across as highly offputting because it carries a connotation that those distinctions are essential characteristics/describe different categories of things (even if it's not meant that way)

basically just think about how you can actually answer the question- the literal answer is "a human" but you'd get weird looks if you gave that reply because it's not actually what's being asked, while other answers convey an invalid level of distinction/essentiality (i.e. "I'm a white" or "I'm a black")

it’s funny to me because there’s definitely a normal way to ask, just say “what’s your heritage?” It’s just a weird thing to ask someone right off the bat, like lots of other personal questions