Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I realised Inevitables were the coolest D&D monsters ever since I did that one quest in D&D Online about rescuing your Vampire buddy from the Marut stalking them down. They are an extremely good incomprehensible force of the universe, especially when you tie in a target that isn't evil. One of my favourite rpg moments was pitting an extremely stubborn and lawful Paladin of the Silver Flame up against a Marut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Did you not read that really cool excerpt from Planescape material someone posted? Way more interesting and effective in 2e and 3e. Please learn to read. No one was arguing how big its numbers were or whatever, just that it’s boring.

That Planescape Material is not the same as the 3e Materiel. (Though it was cool.) And I know big numbers were not the issue, the issue is that in the 3e fluff the Marut supposed to hunt down those who disturb life and death, things like Liches. But in game the Marut sucked at it's primary roll as one of it's primary weapons it's fist did lightning damage which many undead ignored.

Anyway what I was saying is that the Marut's have had different lore in every edition.

1e Manual of the Planes. The Maruts were servants of the Hindu God Rudra, based on the Hindu Maruts who served him.

2e Kept some of that lore in that they came from Rudra, but many of them were gifted to other deities and served them. Rudra's Marut's being disease spreaders, but others doing many other types of work in the name of the powers they served.

3e liked that Planescape story of Rudra's Marut killing that guy trying to avoid Rudra's plague and live longer, so when 3e created the Inevitables the Marut was chosen to be the one who goes after those who try to cheat death in some way.

4e had the Maruts as astral mercenaries created by the gods originally to serve as impartial arbitrators and enforcers who love order. They seek payment in reciprocal favors in hopes of one day holding everything in their debt so they can reshape things to be more orderly.

And now we have 5e, were Maruts are beings of law created to enforce Planer contracts. Were depending on what the contract states will bring contract breaks to the Halls of Concordance to face judgment, or kill them as punishment.

I think the 4e version is the most interesting myself. But all the versions I feel have interesting stories that can be done with them. (Well except 1e as we get next to no details on them.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 21, 2018

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Anyone know of a good resource for character portraits? Looking to put visuals to some of the NPCs my players deal with regularly and I'm wanting a consistent look across the portraits.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The D&D games like Baldur's gate and Neverwinter Nights tend to have large amounts of portraits. They tend to have a pretty consistent style as well. I just don't know how to get them easily, cause I am fairly inept.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 21, 2018

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

The D&D games like Baldur's gate and Neverwinter Nights tend to have large amounts of portraits. They tend to have a pretty consistent style as well. I just don't know how to get them easily, cause I am fairly inept.

You can succeed at this by googling "Baldur's gate NPC portraits".

If you try googling "Baldur's Gate character portraits" the first result will return exactly what you'd think it would.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 21, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

That Planescape Material is not the same as the 3e Materiel. (Though it was cool.) And I know big numbers were not the issue, the issue is that in the 3e fluff the Marut supposed to hunt down those who disturb life and death, things like Liches. But in game the Marut sucked at it's primary roll as one of it's primary weapons it's fist did lightning damage which many undead ignored.

Anyway what I was saying is that the Marut's have had different lore in every edition.

1e Manual of the Planes. The Maruts were servants of the Hindu God Rudra, based on the Hindu Maruts who served him.

2e Kept some of that lore in that they came from Rudra, but many of them were gifted to other deities and served them. Rudra's Marut's being disease spreaders, but others doing many other types of work in the name of the powers they served.

3e liked that Planescape story of Rudra's Marut killing that guy trying to avoid Rudra's plague and live longer, so when 3e created the Inevitables the Marut was chosen to be the one who goes after those who try to cheat death in some way.

4e had the Maruts as astral mercenaries created by the gods originally to serve as impartial arbitrators and enforcers who love order. They seek payment in reciprocal favors in hopes of one day holding everything in their debt so they can reshape things to be more orderly.

And now we have 5e, were Maruts are beings of law created to enforce Planer contracts. Were depending on what the contract states will bring contract breaks to the Halls of Concordance to face judgment, or kill them as punishment.

I think the 4e version is the most interesting myself. But all the versions I feel have interesting stories that can be done with them. (Well except 1e as we get next to no details on them.)
This is a good post. I found it interesting and informative.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think its fair to complain when fluff and crunch don't line up, a la 3E Maruts. Nothing sucks more than having cool evocative ideas but being unable to use them properly due to inept mechanics.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
During yesterday's session, our DM introduced some neat homebrew rules regarding hit dice since it's very rare during our sessions that we end up using all our hit dice before resting long enough to recover them or finishing the adventure/session and having downtime enough to completely refresh them. We're going to be "beta-testing" them over the next few weeks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if you can use Hit Die to boost the DC of a spell by +2, or to get extra spell slots, then the offensive use of it should be something like "an automatic hit for maximum damage" and the defensive use of it should be something like "an automatic miss" to be anywhere near comparable in power.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I've been thinking about consolidating saving throws back to Fort (Str/Con) Reflex (Dex/Int) and Will (Wis/Cha) and using the non-AC defense system of 4e.

If I'm not mistaken, if I use 14 + proficiency + stat for the non-AC Defense calculation and convert the spells to spell attacks the math should be roughly equivalent?

Lets say you have a spell attack modifier of +8, which would make your spells DC 16, and the monster you're hitting had a +5 Dex saving throw. The monster would have a 50% chance of passing the saving throw. In the new system they would have a Reflex defense of 19, which would be a 50% hit chance for the attacking spellcaster if they use their +8 spell attack modifier.

Overall monsters and players will have higher average saving throws due to the consolidation, but players and monsters will also now be able to buff the +hit roll with combat advantage, bless, etc.

Effects that would grant advantage on saving throws will now grant disadvantage on the attack roll, and vice versa.

Reik fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 21, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I'm trying to think of the precise requirement I have half-concocted in my head here. Like I don't need a full blown setting, just enough detail to reason about how the various actors might interact. It's even cool for the genres to overlap - Maybe you have both terrestrial and space-faring goblins but they feel like branches of the same species, with any differences being explicable by their space-faring nature and independent development. Like I want to be able to imagine a single universe that includes the book's material and strike... Didn't quite get there.

Again it's very possible this wouldn't actually matter at the table, but I'd find it a difficult starting point. I'll compare it to demon lord, where I find the included setting to be a bit too grim and serious for my taste, to the point where I'm not really planning on using it in my sotdl game. Despite that, I still appreciate the consistent mood evoked throughout the book, simply because they had some backdrop in mind rather than a completely blank slate.
I completely understand what you're getting and here, and agree both with how it's hard to articulate, and yet very important for me as a consumer of RPGs.

To catch my imagination, a game at least should have a consistent implied setting which grabs my interest. All of my favorite RPGs for the past 10 years hit this mark - SotDL, Godbound, Feng Shui, Fragged Empire, Blades, WFRP... And why games like Strike!, FATE Core, and so on just leave me cold in their default presentations. (I mean, I'm enough of a D&D nerd that "generic fantasyland with elves and dwarves" is probably sufficient for a baseline. But I want more.)

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
To extend it to 3rd parties. I'm not a fan of official 5e books to the point that I just use my school's RPG club library to level anything not in the PHB(My only 5e book). However, I did spend money on both the Godsfall Worldbook and Faerie Fire because their setting and art direction(In FF's Case) were so interesting. I might run 5e with them. I might just convert all the setting stuff to a system I like.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Thanks for bringing Faerie Fire to my attention.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Firstborn posted:

Thanks for bringing Faerie Fire to my attention.
Same.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

I completely understand what you're getting and here, and agree both with how it's hard to articulate, and yet very important for me as a consumer of RPGs.

To catch my imagination, a game at least should have a consistent implied setting which grabs my interest. All of my favorite RPGs for the past 10 years hit this mark - SotDL, Godbound, Feng Shui, Fragged Empire, Blades, WFRP... And why games like Strike!, FATE Core, and so on just leave me cold in their default presentations. (I mean, I'm enough of a D&D nerd that "generic fantasyland with elves and dwarves" is probably sufficient for a baseline. But I want more.)

So for me im in a similiar boat that I need something to sink its teeth into me and get me to see why these rules do a great job at selling a tonne and a genre. Doing 'generic fantasyland' for me only ever works if I have rules that actively support how that kind of world and tone works. If you give me generic medieval europe but with wizards and poo poo, I immediately check out because those two things clash. My brain assumes if the writers havn't managed to work these two things that are at odds, chances are they havn't put any further thought into the rules.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CobiWann posted:

During yesterday's session, our DM introduced some neat homebrew rules regarding hit dice since it's very rare during our sessions that we end up using all our hit dice before resting long enough to recover them or finishing the adventure/session and having downtime enough to completely refresh them. We're going to be "beta-testing" them over the next few weeks.

These are all useless
Except the Spellcasting ones which are good for reckless recovery, and absolutely loving busted for +2 spell DC.

But really whats this mental hurdle people have about martials getting to do cool or powerful things.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
The martial ones also hurt them lol

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Rigged Death Trap posted:

These are all useless
Except the Spellcasting ones which are good for reckless recovery, and absolutely loving busted for +2 spell DC.

But really whats this mental hurdle people have about martials getting to do cool or powerful things.

this

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

here I made the freakin' thing you want for you:
Spend a hit dice and an attack hits

As far as I'm concerned this is rules as written, "hit" is right there in the name. If you want to miss you can spend a miss dice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

you get +2 to spell dc but it also gives you two anti-slots which uncast spells at random until spent on anti-spells that help your party lose knowledge or hitpoints

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

As far as I'm concerned this is rules as written, "hit" is right there in the name. If you want to miss you can spend a miss dice.

sure makes sense

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Heya everyone. I died last night as my Kenku cleric was flung several hundred feet into the air by a goblin village.

Does anyone know any good advice for building a warlock?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Josef bugman posted:

Heya everyone. I died last night as my Kenku cleric was flung several hundred feet into the air by a goblin village.

Ahh Tomb of Annihilation. Well at least your Kenku got to fly at the end.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ahh Tomb of Annihilation. Well at least your Kenku got to fly at the end.

Mhm, I liked "Writer Friend" he was terribly built as my first character that I ever designed (he was a tempest domain cleric and also a tiny little bird man). He made sure our pack dinosaur didn't die and actually insulted aserak to his face.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Josef bugman posted:

Be a Triton.
Put everything into Cha and Con.
Take GOO Patron.
Pact of the Chain, pet octopus.
Become Fishlord.

Optional: At your DM's discretion, toss three levels into sorcerer for Metamagic, then go nuts with 3-11 sorcery points per day to split between whatever two metamagics you pick. But let your DM know not to let you turn pact slots into sorcery points, because that's basically saying "hey, I get metamagic on literally everything I cast forever and no one is gonna be able to stop me!"

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Josef bugman posted:

Choose the Hexblade Patron but go with Pact of the Tome.

Be that one Goon Stereotype where you know absolutely everything about a type of sword without actually knowing how to sword fight.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I would like to actually survive as my character. Even if they are probably going to be a bit of a dick. Though I do like the idea of "studied the blade" warlock.

I was originally tempted to play as a revanant Tortle that had been murdered on a different plane by Aserak and brought back by another powerful undead in order to kick the ever loving poo poo out of him.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

CeallaSo posted:

But let your DM know not to let you turn pact slots into sorcery points, because that's basically saying "hey, I get metamagic on literally everything I cast forever and no one is gonna be able to stop me!"
I don't think this is a necessary nerf - how many short rests do you really get in a day?

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Josef bugman posted:

I would like to actually survive as my character. Even if they are probably going to be a bit of a dick. Though I do like the idea of "studied the blade" warlock.

I was originally tempted to play as a revanant Tortle that had been murdered on a different plane by Aserak and brought back by another powerful undead in order to kick the ever loving poo poo out of him.

I mean, Fishlord can survive. Just play him like any good warlock: with Agonizing Blast, Repelling Blast and (optionally) Eldritch Spear and Spell Sniper.

On the other hand, Celestial patron (from Xanathar's) gets a bonus action heal ability, a number of d6s equal to your level per long rest. That'd be pretty good for keeping you alive, as long as you don't mind keeping all that sweet healing to yourself while your buddies die around you. You combine that with Long Distance Eldritch Blasting, Tome Pact for some extra cantrips / Book of Ancient Secrets to steal rituals from other classes, and you're doing pretty well for yourself. Win combats by staying as far from anything dangerous as humanly possible, and letting your friends die in your place.

I don't think this is a necessary nerf - how many short rests do you really get in a day?

Between 1 and 3, depending. But the more important thing is, the number of sorcery points you get is determined by the level of the spell slot you sacrifice, and warlock slots increase in level automatically. Yeah, 2-4 extra points per rest isn't terrible, but potentially 20 is stupid.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

The one thing I remind everyone as a warlock is just to make sure all your spells aren't variations of the same thing. Your selectuon is so limited that you really don't want six ways to do damage.

Also warlocks are cool if somewhat niche utility casters between spells and their innate powers. For instance being able to read any language doesn't sound great but it can be awesome depending on what your DM considers a "language."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I got up to third level with WF and he had a tonne of spells, do Warlocks not have the same wide selection?

How many spells slots do they get? Also I am really sorry for cluttering up this thread with my stuff!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Josef bugman posted:

Take your kenku's angry ghost as a patron.

My kenku ranger died and so I rolled a cleric who keeps getting his divination hijacked and replaced with "follow these idiots around and mind the pig."

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Mendrian posted:

The one thing I remind everyone as a warlock is just to make sure all your spells aren't variations of the same thing. Your selectuon is so limited that you really don't want six ways to do damage.

Also warlocks are cool if somewhat niche utility casters between spells and their innate powers. For instance being able to read any language doesn't sound great but it can be awesome depending on what your DM considers a "language."

Don't worry, I speak Jive.

Josef bugman posted:

I got up to third level with WF and he had a tonne of spells, do Warlocks not have the same wide selection?

How many spells slots do they get? Also I am really sorry for cluttering up this thread with my stuff!

Warlocks have the most limited selection of spells among the full casters, because their unique variety of spellcasting (pact magic) allows them to regain their spell slots from a short rest rather than a long one. This can work out in their favor when you're able to get a lot of short rests in a day (like, say, when an enemy is hounding you through a long dungeon and you can't quite seem to shake them) but hurts when you have a party that sees one or two big battles each day and then calls it. Warlocks need to make every spell choice count, because they only learn ~1 per level and blow their load pretty quick. Most of your time will be spent leaning on cantrips and making use of whatever abilities you gain from your Invocations, special features that expand a warlock's repertoire (usually) without eating spell slots. Eldritch Blast in particular is going to be most of what you do in combat, because combined with a couple of good invocations that alter it specifically it easily beats the rest of the cantrips for pure power.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Play a human with an octopus familiar. Wear it on your face and pretend to be an illithid.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

CeallaSo posted:

Warlocks have the most limited selection of spells among the full casters, because their unique variety of spellcasting (pact magic) allows them to regain their spell slots from a short rest rather than a long one. This can work out in their favor when you're able to get a lot of short rests in a day (like, say, when an enemy is hounding you through a long dungeon and you can't quite seem to shake them) but hurts when you have a party that sees one or two big battles each day and then calls it. Warlocks need to make every spell choice count, because they only learn ~1 per level and blow their load pretty quick. Most of your time will be spent leaning on cantrips and making use of whatever abilities you gain from your Invocations, special features that expand a warlock's repertoire (usually) without eating spell slots. Eldritch Blast in particular is going to be most of what you do in combat, because combined with a couple of good invocations that alter it specifically it easily beats the rest of the cantrips for pure power.

Ahh, see the majority of our fights tend to be "go big or go home" sorts.

Splicer posted:

Take your kenku's angry ghost as a patron.

My kenku ranger died and so I rolled a cleric who keeps getting his divination hijacked and replaced with "follow these idiots around and mind the pig."

See I am, apparently, inside an evil soul devouring device at the moment so I probably can't do patron things. Also I do intend to play Writer Friend again and punch my way out of the pit of hell in order to do so.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 22, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Razorwired posted:

Choose the Hexblade Patron but go with Pact of the Tome.

Be that one Goon Stereotype where you know absolutely everything about a type of sword without actually knowing how to sword fight.

Ah yes, the Chad Caster:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

CeallaSo posted:

Between 1 and 3, depending. But the more important thing is, the number of sorcery points you get is determined by the level of the spell slot you sacrifice, and warlock slots increase in level automatically. Yeah, 2-4 extra points per rest isn't terrible, but potentially 20 is stupid.
They won't get 20 points per rest until they are straight-up level 20 and that will be their entire spellcasting reservoir minus the level 1 and 2 slots they get from level 3 sorcerer. That's 80 points in a 3-short rest day, which are pretty rare at my table. Add in their level 3 sorcerer slots and their 3 base sorcery points for a total of 91 sorcery points. Some days will be 71 and some will be 51.

In comparison, a normal level 20 sorcerer converting all his slots will get 89 points and it comes with full access to level 9 spells and all that other good sorcerer stuff that they get after level 3. I don't know what math you think you did but it's wrong and you're effectively punishing a player for choosing warlock, the best designed magic dude class. Having very few slots that recover on a short rest is their deal, why would you effectively take it away if that's the character they want?

Like, if you care, you're explicitly going out of your way to contradict sage advice and nerf warlocks relative to other casters. You can do that if you want but personally I think that pushing your players even harder towards Just Pick Bard is the wrong tack.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 22, 2018

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey, bit of a quick question, I'm thinking of joining a 5e campaign soon and am looking for a good character builder program. Having come mostly from 4th and 3.5 I've used heroforge Anew and the the 4e offline builder a lot, and really just prefer making characters in a program then in pnp. So, with that said, are there any good free programs for this........I had used WOTC's online builder for 4e for a while, but I am reticent to use the official DnD beyond because of well.....how poo poo the treatment of the 4e app was towards the end of 4e's lifespan.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Hey, bit of a quick question, I'm thinking of joining a 5e campaign soon and am looking for a good character builder program. Having come mostly from 4th and 3.5 I've used heroforge Anew and the the 4e offline builder a lot, and really just prefer making characters in a program then in pnp. So, with that said, are there any good free programs for this........I had used WOTC's online builder for 4e for a while, but I am reticent to use the official DnD beyond because of well.....how poo poo the treatment of the 4e app was towards the end of 4e's lifespan.

There's D&D Beyond which is the official-ish builder.

If you are like me, having modest income and being and old who likes dead-tree books though, their pricing model kinda sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's kind of heavyweight but there is MorePurpleMoreBetter's character sheet. By default it only contains SRD material because of a WotC cease and desist but there are scripts to -re-import the non-SRD stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mpmb/comments/7gkjkw/sheet_downloads_faq/

If you guys are using roll20 then you can also just do it on there - it's not automated or anything but it will save you from entering data twice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 22, 2018