Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm 99% sure one of them was Alan Tudyk

Well he was in the credits as one of them. Didn't see Damon's name though but it doesn't stick out like Tudyk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rhyno posted:

Well he was in the credits as one of them. Didn't see Damon's name though but it doesn't stick out like Tudyk.
He was credited as "Dickie Greenleaf"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Damon was the one that went on about his bathroom regiment. Which apparently was actually something one of writers said to Ryan at some point and Ryan said they had to work it into the film.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

X-O posted:

Damon was the one that went on about his bathroom regiment. Which apparently was actually something one of writers said to Ryan at some point and Ryan said they had to work it into the film.
As soon as i heard it in the movie, I knew that had to be a real thing. It was just too perfect in and of itself not to have been the subject of deep thought by a truly disturbed mind.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
lol if you don't use baby wipes to clean your rear end in a top hat with and then dry off with one more wipe of toilet paper just lol

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah I have a three part system. Deadpool 2's not even the first time I've heard that rant in a movie.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah I have a three part system. Deadpool 2's not even the first time I've heard that rant in a movie.

Kevin Smith was going off about it on podcasts ten years ago

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I was never excited about The Vulture in the MCU until we finally got him.

I've been excited for Mysterio in the MCU since...Spider-Man 2. His gimmick being everything Hollywood is going to make for some crazy dumb poo poo.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm excited to see the character who's whole deal is practical movie effects be recreated on the big screen with ugly-rear end Marvel CGI

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well it'll be ugly rear end Sony cgi

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Unmature posted:

I'm excited to see the character who's whole deal is practical movie effects be recreated on the big screen with ugly-rear end Marvel CGI

Quentin Beck, a special fx guru put out of business by ILM, goes on a crime spree to prove that practical effects are still superior

stan winston cameos to say how awesome they are

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

You guys keep saying it's gonna be cool cause he has special effects powers but what does that actually mean? Does anyone have an example of how that would be cool? Cause at first blush it just seems like it will be Spidey confronting a Halloween Horror Nights at Knott's Berry Farm, which is like... who cares. Honestly, Mysterio's schtick has never really worked for me. In a world where actual demons and wizards use actual magic, why should we care about Criss Angel, Mindfreak?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Spider-Man has a bad time at the Haunted House.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Unmature posted:

His power set isn't usually practical effects, he's bog-standard near-future Marvel. He throws around a lot of "holo-cubes" that project Evil Lincolns and whatnot.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

You guys keep saying it's gonna be cool cause he has special effects powers but what does that actually mean? Does anyone have an example of how that would be cool? Cause at first blush it just seems like it will be Spidey confronting a Halloween Horror Nights at Knott's Berry Farm, which is like... who cares. Honestly, Mysterio's schtick has never really worked for me. In a world where actual demons and wizards use actual magic, why should we care about Criss Angel, Mindfreak?

Well, in practical terms, Mysterio usually works out like a more mind-trippy, less fear-based version of Scarecrow. Or like that movie where stage magicians robbed banks, except with Spiderman and actual good directing. It's all about the visual mind-fuckery on the audience.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

SlimGoodbody posted:

Because when you fight an actual demon or wizard and they grow to be 60 feet tall, they are actually that big.
With Mysterio, you don't know if that 60 foot fish bubble dude is a giant robot or a hologram. Or why he is even growing so big in the first place?
Is he trying to flatten Spidey? Or is it a distraction while he does something else.

Its basically Now You See Me meets the Prestige meets The Illusionist meets FX: Murder by Illusion.
And superheroes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SlimGoodbody posted:

The Vulture's power set is can fly and is old and he made for a fantastic villain

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I imagine he'll be something closer to the Ultimate Mysterio (though that was actually just the 616 Mysterio trying a do-over in another universe) looks wise and such.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Slash Film and THR confirming that Zendaya (not surprising) and Michael Keaton will both be returning for Homecoming 2.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So if you now have Vulture, Mysterio, and Mac Gargan (as Scorpion but so far he has no suit), that’s half of the Sinister Six. I guess they could do Goblin again at some point, or just make him Hobgoblin.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm rewatching some MCU movies I only ever saw once, and I'm about halfway through AoU and man it has not aged well, especially given how good IW was. There are some good scenes, the Hulkbuster fight is cool and the hammer lifting scene is a top 10 all-time MCU scene, but they make some baffling choices. The most glaring is the characterization of Ultron. I get what they were going for, the father-son stuff, but making him a quippy bad guy is just really uninspired. Also given thatt they nailed the quasi father/son dynamic with Tony and Peter, the Ultron daddy stuff looks even clumsier in retrospect. There's so many interesting takes on strong AI in scifi and almost any of them would be better than what they went with. He's not intimidating at all. When you compare him to Thanos, another huge CGI villain with significant departures from his comic background, Ultron looks even worse.

Couple other things I don't like:
Wanda loving with the Avengers minds. We did this with Loki in the first one, and I dunno where the mandate of "people want to see the Avengers fight amongst each other based on misunderstandings" came from but you don't need to do it two movies in a row.
Bruce/Natasha stuff. I don't buy the "the movies thinks women are only for breeding and that's why Natasha calls herself a monster" read, but just as a matter of narrative, it comes out of nowhere. It'd be one thing if they had used a connection between them to establish a budding relationship by the end of the movie, but to just throw it out there in the beginning of the movie with no prelude, very DCU.
Hawkeye's family/the house interlude: another out of nowhere thing, and another time to have Avengers fight among themselves, while nothing else happens. There's no reason to make Hawkeye a family man, it doesn't add to the character or the movie, and the plot just comes to a standstill while the Avengers soul search.

I'll probably wrap the movie up tonight, so I'll have some more stuff to bitch about later.

Spider-man:Homecoming holds up as hell though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Truly I cannot believe that Joss Whedon made the bad guy quippy. This is just unheard of. (Not that it's not a fair complaint, but it shouldn't come as a surprise.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Quippy Kang the Conqueror quotes Dr. Who and likes a grumpy cat meme

Endless Mike posted:

Truly I cannot believe that Joss Whedon made the bad guy quippy. This is just unheard of. (Not that it's not a fair complaint, but it shouldn't come as a surprise.)

Thank god for the Russos

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Superheroes fighting over a misunderstanding is like stock comic book plot #3, it’s absolutely something a lot of comic fans want to see. General moviegoers maybe less so - see people who really didn’t like civil war because they just want the good guys to be friends.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It doesn't need to happen in every Avengers movie though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Superheroes fighting over a misunderstanding is like stock comic book plot #3, it’s absolutely something a lot of comic fans want to see. General moviegoers maybe less so - see people who really didn’t like civil war because they just want the good guys to be friends.

At least in Civil War, the characters had actual established motivations for fighting instead of just having Loki bad touch them with the mind gem. It’s why the Thor/Iron Man fight in Avengers worked best, IMO- they were at ends as to what to do about Loki and had just met, so they had no reason to trust each other. It wasn’t just the plot saying “you fight now!”

AoU had a lot of great scenes but was less than the sum of its parts.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

lol if you don't use baby wipes to clean your rear end in a top hat with and then dry off with one more wipe of toilet paper just lol

It makes you feel like a French King, so decadent.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

He just doesn't have the look. :(

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Why doesn’t that drink have any ice in it?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Because it cuts down on the soda amount. That's how they get ya.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He's a danged European

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Ice is a scam, it comes out of the machine cold.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bruceski posted:

Because it cuts down on the soda amount. That's how they get ya.

Perfect kid logic. Its probably made up of a little bit from each of the nozzles.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Slash Film and THR confirming that Zendaya (not surprising) and Michael Keaton will both be returning for Homecoming 2.

Yesss. New Mj is my spirit animal.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Bruce/Natasha stuff doesn't work for me because they just did Winter Soldier and the chemistry between Evans and ScarJo was 10x better. Knowing that Civil War and Infinity War were both better than AoU is good. I would rather the films get better.

I think John Cena would've been better.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Ice is a scam, it comes out of the machine cold.

Most places don't clean the ice machine as much as they should either. That's the wisdom of Solomon in action right there.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

....why should we care about Criss Angel, Mindfreak?

Make him more Derren Brown and he'd be unstoppable.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I know this is nitpicking, but Levi just doesn’t look old enough. Shazam should look like a square-jawed Darwyn Cooke caricature. Like Jon Hamm or Patrick Warburton, someone like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Jon Hamm has played too many sleazy characters for me to see him being Captain Marvel

• Locked thread