Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sampatrick posted:

I'm guessing that there are Chalice decks, Clamp decks, and Cruise decks in NBL in terms of viability? I'm guessing that the best deck will actually just be Dead Guy Ale with some Chrome Moxes for acceleration and Chalice. Like, everybody is trying to do broken things so here's a Chalice/Thalia/Damping Sphere. Either that or some Blood Moon variant that does a similar thing.

I'm not entirely sure. A deadguy ale type deck will get run over hard by eldrazi, which I expect to be very popular. I think there will be chalice decks, namely eldrazi, and then clamp/cruise decks like elves and pyro/delver, which probably aren't affected by blood moon at all, and then combo, and then who knows what else. I'm predicting that infect, affinity, storm, and eldrazi will be the most popular decks at the SCG event, because those are the cheapest decks to play if you already have the existing decks. Blazing infect is actually super cheap to build, storm will also be super cheap. If you already have affinity cards you can upgrade it to the no-ban version very little cost.

A deadguy style deck with chrome mox and chalice/thalia/sphere could definitely be a lot of fun though. Throw in some bobs, a stoneforge package, some ghost quarters, co-bru. I also think having the right balance of 1 and 2 mana cards in your deck will be super important because of chalice and misstep. I'm hoping the event is fun since the format isn't "solved", but I imagine if this was a regular thing it would get solved and turn sour pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Delver/pyro is pretty solid and doesn’t have much cost if you already have an UR mana base.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Talk me out of this. Or into it.

3 Arena Rector
4 Veteran Explorer
4 Deathrite Shaman
1 meren of clan nel toth
1 reclamation sage
1 thragtusk
1 gaddock teeg
1 scavenging ooze
1 quirion ranger
1 dryad arbor

4 cabal therapy
4 brainstorm
2 abrupt decay
4 green sun's zenith
2 swords to plowshares

1 nicol bolas, planeswalker
1 karn liberated
1 ugin teh spirited fellow
1 garruk, apex predator

2 tropical island
2 bayou
1 savannah
1 scrubvland
2 forest
1 island
2 plains
1 swamp
3 misty rainforest
2 verdant catacombs
2 windswept heath
1 polluted delta
2 phyrexian tower

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 22, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Needs more Ugin.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

suicidesteve posted:

Needs more Ugin.

edited. As busted as Jace is, he's not what you want to be tutoring into I don't expect.

I've had weird games with Nyx Fit where I've done poo poo like hardcast Overwhelming Splendor; Karn and Ugin seem even more castable, since fetching up WW is not really what nyx fit wants to be doing usually.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 22, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Jace is fine if you can cast him semi-reliably on turn 2 or 3. Your mana base doesn't look like it can do that.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
It is too bad Flash is banned in legacy. It'd be so much fun with Arena Rector.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Is anyone going to SCG Regionals in two weeks? I'm currently testing three decks:

Mono G Stompy
RG Ponza
Elves with Devoted Druid combo

Elves has been really bad. Like every elf deck that has ever existed, only like 6 cards in the deck matter and with jund back there are just too many decks that punish me for playing a bunch of tiny dorks.

Ponza has been fine. I'm down to just 4 moons, 4 stone rains, 4 moltens rains as LD, dropping two acid moss, a primal command, and a beast within for 3 bolts and a utility 3 drop. I might bring back the beast within but those 12 cards have been enough to cheese wins, and four BBE and Tireless Tracker help with the grindfests.

Mono G has been... surprisingly good? The addition of four Steel Leaf Champions has felt great. People do not play around combat tricks in non-Standard constructed. Am I crazy for thinking this deck might be a good choice?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Is anyone going to SCG Regionals in two weeks? I'm currently testing three decks:

Mono G Stompy
RG Ponza
Elves with Devoted Druid combo

Elves has been really bad. Like every elf deck that has ever existed, only like 6 cards in the deck matter and with jund back there are just too many decks that punish me for playing a bunch of tiny dorks.

Ponza has been fine. I'm down to just 4 moons, 4 stone rains, 4 moltens rains as LD, dropping two acid moss, a primal command, and a beast within for 3 bolts and a utility 3 drop. I might bring back the beast within but those 12 cards have been enough to cheese wins, and four BBE and Tireless Tracker help with the grindfests.

Mono G has been... surprisingly good? The addition of four Steel Leaf Champions has felt great. People do not play around combat tricks in non-Standard constructed. Am I crazy for thinking this deck might be a good choice?

I still think mono-G is the worst of those 3 decks, are you testing online or locally? RG Ponza is fine and elves is still good. I think elves is better than stompy because of the better late game ability and potential for turn 3 wins. Stompy is ok but I dunno how well it races humans/affinity and control is real popular again so that could be rough. Modern is weird though and anything can sneak wins. My long time elves player buddy was crying about the sky falling when BBE got unbanned but he still almost swept a 7 round pptq last weekend and kills people constantly at locals, but that's him playing something he knows inside and out.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
unless you're playing in mtgo comp leagues, or with only players you know are good and are playing turned competitive decks, take your testing data with a huge grain of salt. The players in the high win brackets of a competitive event are going to do a much better job at knowing the card vines exists than your fnm opponents.

stompy seems questionable because you're awful at interaction and there's no guarantee you're going to be faster than whatever busted thing your opponent is doing. the answer in modern is always "play what you know" but ponza and elves have been having great results lately while stompy never shows up in the mtgo league results, meaning there's ~40 decks that are more viable than it currently

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Two out of those three decks have ever top 8ed anything, and stompy isn't one of them.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yeah it's mostly that people forget vines of vastwood exists. i'll probably just play ponza

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Thoughts on this in Vintage? It can find recall, time walk, removal, drain, whatever

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

Thoughts on this in Vintage? It can find recall, time walk, removal, drain, whatever

The body seems dangerously irrelevant to me but I think there could be a use?

E: I’m the dumbass that wants to run it with the wizard land in legacy

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

riptide laboratory? that's spicy

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Elyv posted:

If this was in modern it would be lit

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tim Raines IRL posted:

If this was in modern it would be lit

Jace_the_Mind_Sculptor.txt

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Jace_the_Mind_Sculptor.txt

Hey! He's won me a few games.... Other times he's a 4cmc gain 3 life, and Brainstorm.

Edit: Are we still waiting on someone to break Jace in modern or is everyone accepting that he's ok unless they print some kind of insane enabler for him. Or allow FOW in modern. Like right now, Teferi looks a lot better than Jace.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 24, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Thisuck posted:

Hey! He's won me a few games.... Other times he's a 4cmc gain 3 life, and Brainstorm.

Edit: Are we still waiting on someone to break Jace in modern or is everyone accepting that he's ok unless they print some kind of insane enabler for him. Or allow FOW in modern. Like right now, Teferi looks a lot better than Jace.

I don’t think you can break a walker that only works once per turn and only starting turn 4 in Modern.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Why Jace isn't breaking Modern in half:

https://twitter.com/BasicMountain/status/986068914781093888?s=19

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Efro is wrong and talking out of his rear end again, got it.

Yeah that's what I figured the reason was, when most of the top decks won't let you live to turn 4 or just don't care about the Jace when they kill you.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
On a scale of one to Mike Flores, how dumb if Efro?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Star Man posted:

On a scale of one to Mike Flores, how dumb if Efro?

Well Mike Flores runs the superior Constructed podcast so perhaps Efro should be the top end of the scale

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Playing bogles in a (serial numbers filed off) GPT tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Mezzanon posted:

Playing bogles in a (serial numbers filed off) GPT tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Goon speed and good luck#

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
anyone in here play mardu pyromancer? i'm in the process of picking it up.

Got any tips and tricks that might not be obvious to a new pilot? Also how do you beat tron?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

little munchkin posted:

anyone in here play mardu pyromancer? i'm in the process of picking it up.

Got any tips and tricks that might not be obvious to a new pilot? Also how do you beat tron?

Faithless Looting is one of the best cards in your deck. Don't be afraid to cast/flash back that for your turn if nothing else is happening on their side.

Have a good clock and uhhh pray you draw your SB cards in game 2.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah it's honestly a hard deck to pilot. Lots of decision points, even as small as playing a land vs sandbagging one to toss to a potential looting, but weighing it against having land to use, etc etc.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Super fun though, I've been loving having 1 Hazoret in the main. She's so good vs a lot of decks

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Thisuck posted:

Goon speed and good luck#

Trip report: lost in top 4 to the #1 seed on humans meddling mate naming coronet stranding 3 coronets in hand.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I haven't had time to go play Magic in a few months and I've spent a lot of that time thinking about Mill because I have brain problems-
Deck: Mill 180526

//Lands
4 Darkslick Shores
3 Field of Ruin
2 Flooded Strand
3 Island
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
4 Polluted Delta
1 Shelldock Isle
2 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Archive Trap
2 Crypt Incursion
4 Fatal Push
2 Fraying Sanity
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Mesmeric Orb
4 Mind Funeral
1 Search for Azcanta
3 Surgical Extraction
4 Visions of Beyond
2 Winds of Rebuke

//Creatures
4 Hedron Crab

//Sideboard
2 Ceremonious Rejection
1 Crypt Incursion
2 Damnation
1 Disdainful Stroke
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Set Adrift
1 Surgical Extraction
3 Thoughtseize

Display deck statistics

Four Mind Funerals is probably too many, when I get off my rear end and get Ensnaring Bridges I'll probably cut a pair of Funerals for those. Winds of Rebuke is probably bad but I need a way to get rid of T0 Leyline of Sanctity and planeswalkers, plus it mills. Field of Ruin is better than I initially thought it would be, especially since you can go Field -> Archive Trap -> Surgical/Push/Visions taking advantage of Revolt or the milled cards. Search for Azcanta has been pretty good so far, I'm loath to not play a mill spell on turn 2 but the free scrys early and the card selection late are both really useful. For the board I've also been considering Pithing Needle, Dispel and Inquisition of Kozilek (probably over Thoughtseize). No idea what the meta around here is like now, the store that I was going to for a while had quite a bit of Tron but I haven't been back for some time.

There's also this list that made Top 32 at GP Lyon (MTGGoldfish won't bring up that tourney for whatever reason) which really interests me, though I don't know if I'm 100% on board with CoBru in the deck other than as a Delirium enabler.

E: Cast Down might be an acceptable call over Push in certain metas, what Modern-played creatures doesn't it kill? Clique, Tasigur, Eldrazi titans, Thalia?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 27, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

they already updated XMage with battlebond so I have been testing Nicol Fit.

Just won a match against burn where my g1 turn 2 was: veteran explorer, flashback cabal therapy and get plains forest, GSZ for 1 to get another veteran explorer, play phyrexian tower for turn, sac explorer to get 2 more lands and play arena rector. Feels good uptapping on T3 with 6 lands and then immediately cheating Ugin into play with 7 mana available.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

rector nic fit isn't a deck, but arena rector is better than academy rector.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Unsure if I should play jeskai or Bee Ponza tonight

edit: this should probably have BBE?

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 1, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Playing in a 1.5K Modern tournament tomorrow and a friend’s borrowing Jund, anyone have any advice for playing the deck currently?

Meanwhile I’m torn between Knightfall and UW Control, any opinions?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'll hate you for not playing with Knight of the Reliquary but I will begrudgingly understand if you play a deck more likely to win.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

How to play Jund:

Draw the cards, don't draw the bad cards. I'd give you more advice but I'm not sure there is any other advice. Don't get paired against Tron?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

How to play Jund:

Draw the cards, don't draw the bad cards. I'd give you more advice but I'm not sure there is any other advice. Don't get paired against Tron?

Been playing pretty stock jund since the unbannings, and this is basically it. You die to dumb poo poo all the time because there’s nothing dumb you can do. It’s still fun and feels like there are a lot of decisions, but I’ve been losing a lot lately.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Jund is one of those decks that is incredibly simple to play, but hard to play WELL.....and really soft to just lovely draws (and blood moon :unsmigghh:).

Make sure you can write down your 75 list from memory, best advice for playing any deck imo. You have so much 1-for-1 removal, but you need to prioritize by knowing your opponent's deck. Example against HumansL Don't turn 2 kill a Noble Hierarch with a Terminate, save it for whatever he casts with the Hierarch, then turn 3 consider killing it to delay a CoCo if you don't have discard. Or bait out a Spell Queller with a Thoughtseize on 3 with Terminate backup.

It's mostly common sense stuff, but you just need to know which targets are worth spending resources immediately to remove and which you can ignore temporarily. Best thing you can do is just know your decklist cold so you can look at your graveyard and go "I've used a Terminate and have one in hand, so I can only draw one more at most".

And don't get matched against Tron unless you want to be done in 4 minutes so you can go get lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How to play Jund: Watch Victor Wood in the top eight of SCG Minneapolis 2018. Don't play like that.