Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

“I’m high lol!!!” posts are as annoying as “I’m drunk lol!!!” posts and for many of the same reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I'm sober lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just dont post about your drug or alcohol use or lack thereof I think is the lesson here

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
What if I’m on adderall or way too caffeinated

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Every wr suspected to have been completed under the influence of weed should have an asterisk next to it.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Mandatory pisstests for GDQ runners.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Free Bubbles

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Compromise: Speedrunners can smoke weed but only if they write a pastebin explaining why, then print out the pastebin and use that to roll a blunt.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Doc Hawkins posted:

Every wr suspected to have been completed under the influence of weed should have an asterisk next to it.
we need to differentiate WR [weed records] from WR [world records]

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

weed%

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I support medical marijuana.

Also, 420% completion lol!!!!!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I only brought it up because she mentioned multiple times during the interview/conversation as something that didn't particularly help her last go around; like explicitly bringing it up as a problem.

On the other hand, blaze it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/kehzou/status/995764939221385217

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I am mad they killed Talkatoo Storage but this owns so I think ultimately I'm happy

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sometimes I feel like that stuff is put there/left there on purpose. The game has had how many patches and the whistle glitch still works.

Sometimes fixing a bug isn't the hard part, it's that the mechanic is so heavily integrated into the gameplay that you'd need to redo all the gameplay testing to make sure the change didn't break anything else. I'm guessing either the flute or exhaustion in BotW is just not touchable because the overhead of fixing it is too high, and the impact on non-speedrunners is basically nothing.

The loading a cutscene resetting a counter sounds like a state preservation issue, and since they are clearly saving other states (worldlocation, etc) it will probably be fixable and may get a future patch if Nintendo still cares enough about BotW.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

how did i not think of this it seems intentional

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

how did i not think of this it seems intentional

If you tried you wouldn't be able to get a letter over there without knowing the way to push it out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Crotch Bat posted:

Woops, forgot to add that part but it was from Twitch. Now sometimes Twitch permas can last lesser periods of time like several months or they can last years (Tyler1's insanely toxic gf got unbanned recently after 2 years I believe) or they can be actual permabans so who's to say on this.

I mean luckily if she wants to continue streaming there's Youtube, who at this point tends to give less of a gently caress than whatever sanitized poo poo Twitch is building towards, so at least she can still stream if it's a big deal to her.

LOL Tyler’s gf got banned too? holy poo poo what a couple.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Crotch Bat posted:

Woops, forgot to add that part but it was from Twitch. Now sometimes Twitch permas can last lesser periods of time like several months or they can last years (Tyler1's insanely toxic gf got unbanned recently after 2 years I believe) or they can be actual permabans so who's to say on this.

I mean luckily if she wants to continue streaming there's Youtube, who at this point tends to give less of a gently caress than whatever sanitized poo poo Twitch is building towards, so at least she can still stream if it's a big deal to her.

yeah she was doing like, streaming all her time all of it no matter what and chatting and that does not fit with the TWITCH BRAND of streaming so off she went

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

UberJew posted:

yeah she was doing like, streaming all her time all of it no matter what and chatting and that does not fit with the TWITCH BRAND of streaming so off she went

They’ll also ban you for streaming stuff like Baten Kaitos 100%, which is partly why stuff like Really-Long-A-Thon are things. Otherwise, you’re using their bandwidth for no benefit to them. You need a partner if you want to do 24-hour marathon streams (though that rule gets enforced way less than it probably should). Robots like SaltyBets and TPP are okay since stuff is actually happening in them and admins can jump in if things break.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Double Punctuation posted:

They’ll also ban you for streaming stuff like Baten Kaitos 100%, which is partly why stuff like Really-Long-A-Thon are things. Otherwise, you’re using their bandwidth for no benefit to them.

Treat me like I'm stupid. How is that less benefit to them than a random teenaged 3-viewer Minecraft streamer?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Dancer posted:

Treat me like I'm stupid. How is that less benefit to them than a random teenaged 3-viewer Minecraft streamer?

Because if they made you have a minimum viewer count, they wouldn’t be able to get any new streamers, because that’s how you start out on the service. You’re accomplishing something, even if it’s minimal, by doing that. Streaming yourself idling in a game or your Facebook feed isn’t going to get you any new viewers, and that means no ad money for Amazon to offset their bandwidth costs.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Also it's weird and mentally unhealthy to stream every waking moment of your life.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dancer posted:

I don't know if you know, but... Baiten Kaitos 100% requires waiting for two weeks for an item to turn into another item.

Like, actually two weeks. You don't do anything else. You just wait. There's nothing to watch (except for the, let's say, about twenty hours when you actually play the rest of the game).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Prism posted:

I don't know if you know, but... Baiten Kaitos 100% requires waiting for two weeks for an item to turn into another item.

Like, actually two weeks. You don't do anything else. You just wait. There's nothing to watch (except for the, let's say, about twenty hours when you actually play the rest of the game).
And it doesn't count time spent in menus! Plus you need to obtain the item first before the two week counter starts.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Also it's weird and mentally unhealthy to stream every waking moment of your life.

...wasn't that how Twitch originally started? As Justin.tv?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pseudoscorpion posted:

...wasn't that how Twitch originally started? As Justin.tv?

Yep. They want all over to games in the twitch brand, reportedly, because they thought it would be easy to moderate that way versus streams of anything happening. Just look to see if there's a game on stream and its probably ok!

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Except now they have the IRL category (ANd artist and music and such) so that doesn't even matter and you can just chat and poo poo.

As long as you are active. And don't hump your GF on the couch after you "sign off"

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What emulator do people use for the Zelda randomizer races?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

fadam posted:

What emulator do people use for the Zelda randomizer races?

From the tournament rule document:

"Allowed emulators include SNES9X 1.51+, SNESGT, SNESGX (Wii) & BSNES/HIGAN.
ZSNES & older versions of SNES9X are banned.
SD2SNES, Super Everdrive, SNES Classic and SuperNT are all allowed."

I use a SNES Classic, myself.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Whoa, you can load custom roms into the SNES classic?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

fadam posted:

Whoa, you can load custom roms into the SNES classic?

I'd say about 80% of all ROMs work out of the box. The last 20% is wonky but nerds on the internet figured out work arounds for most of them by now, depending on how much effort you want to go through.

Just google for hackchi2, it's really easy to set up but you're on your own for the ROMs. It's incredibly easy to use.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 22, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Neat, thanks!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I've been liking bizhawk as a catch-all multiple system emulator. It uses the bsnes/higan core for snes. It doesn't do a bunch of fancy filters but is accurate, though needs a decent computer to run.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://kotaku.com/the-donkey-kong-timeline-is-truly-disturbing-1823035151

quote:

Are you sitting down? I’ve got something to tell you—something that may shock you. Between the events of the various Donkey Kong games, the Kong family was involved in a bitter and vicious war. Among its many casualties, this war may have claimed the life of a classic Kong character, explaining his disappearance from all future games in the series.

Conflict is one thing—a war, though? That’s another banana altogether. The evidence for the Great Ape War is scant, so it’s easy to dismiss it as a fan theory made from whole cloth. However, it explains a great many mysteries of the Donkey Kong world, so it’s worth considering.

What mysteries, you may ask? Well, there’s the aforementioned disappearance of DK Jr., for one. But what about the Manky and Minkey Kongs? Described as “Kong rejects” in the DKC manual, they appear as the only primate foes in the series. What were they rejected for? Perhaps they defected from the Kong family in an earlier conflict with the Kremlings?

And why do so many characters wear military gear in the Donkey Kong series? Kind of weird for a series about anthropomorphic animals who mostly don’t wear clothes set on a tropical island, no?

What else could explain all of these confusing phenomena except for the existence of a war between ape and reptile prior to the events of the Donkey Kong Country series? Let me lay out one scenario for you...

Okay fess up who here writes for Kotaku and decided to write an article about The Great Ape War after we unearthed it in the last GDQ thread?

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 23, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm already excited to see what speedrunners do to bloodstained: curse of the moon which came out yesterday since it's pretty much like castlevania 3

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
re Baiten Kaitos: Why hasn't the community just said, you know how some games let you drop to main menu? Some games let you reset, or use death to go faster? Some let you change the resolution, or FPS limit? Why not say, "We allow you to restart the console and change the clock to two weeks in the future"?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Golbez posted:

re Baiten Kaitos: Why hasn't the community just said, you know how some games let you drop to main menu? Some games let you reset, or use death to go faster? Some let you change the resolution, or FPS limit? Why not say, "We allow you to restart the console and change the clock to two weeks in the future"?

I haven't played it but I think I remember someone saying that it only changes based on time played, not time changed. Changing to 2 weeks in the future isn't going to add 2 weeks to the time spend playing a game.

If I'm wrong then sorry, hopefully someone with more experience will correct me.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

FirstAidKite posted:

I haven't played it but I think I remember someone saying that it only changes based on time played, not time changed. Changing to 2 weeks in the future isn't going to add 2 weeks to the time spend playing a game.

If I'm wrong then sorry, hopefully someone with more experience will correct me.

I can't believe I didn't consider the in-game timer. Wow. So it's not just two weeks - it's two weeks POWERED ON. So someone playing it for real could potentially be playing this for months in between. Jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Golbez posted:

I can't believe I didn't consider the in-game timer. Wow. So it's not just two weeks - it's two weeks POWERED ON. So someone playing it for real could potentially be playing this for months in between. Jeez.
The timer for items changing also doesn't count time spent in menus.