Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RillAkBea posted:

The final act kinda fell flat for me though. While it was interesting enough story development that the break decals were just being dealt like drugs, the fan girls sub plot relied way too hard on an emotional investment in these two cardboard cut outs we'd never seen before.

I kinda agree with you, but gently caress it, I'm not gonna criticize this show for having characters experience emotions. It needs way more of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I liked the "girls liking gundam must be weird and rare," "Um, no," interaction.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Guy Goodbody posted:

I kinda agree with you, but gently caress it, I'm not gonna criticize this show for having characters experience emotions. It needs way more of that

Riku and Yukki smugging out about their win and watching replays constantly while the others looked on in disgust was honestly more characterization than the two of them have gotten in like the whole series so far.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That bit at the portal was genuinely great and needs to be giffed.

I think the main problem with GBD is that it lacks GBF’s irreverent, imaginative lunacy. It’s a competent kids’ sports show that does a solid job of marketing the brand it’s supposed to advertise, but it’s not willing to embrace the absurdity on nearly the same level. This isn’t a show where you’d get Gunpla as currency, Gunpla as part of a PUA’s toolkit, the Gunpla Mafia, or antagonists like Mashita and Baker. It’s playing things extremely safe and extremely straight, and while that does mean it’s avoiding Try’s missteps, it also makes the whole show feel a tad soulless.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

RillAkBea posted:

plot relied way too hard on an emotional investment in these two cardboard cut outs

But enough about Riku and Yuuki.

The show continues to meh its way across the season. The whole decal break is such a weird stupid idea. After Nild retires is there no one left who understands the Gundam divers mmo?

Take out the ship plot and all you have is bear fanservice. I mean fanbear is fanservice, bear can a shoe really bear on its bear if we are invested in anybear that's going bear. Look at episode bear with bear and bear bear bear bear, bear bear bear bear bear. Bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear! Bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear? Bear bear bear bear.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So we're just not gonna talk about that awesome transforming BuCUE, huh? :colbert:.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So we're just not gonna talk about that awesome transforming BuCUE, huh? :colbert:.

It was neat. I'd guess it's named something like Gaia Astray?

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
I think it's actually the transforming gundam from Seed Destiny. The Gaia, I believe it was called. While the concept is sweet (I prefer dog-mode over Gundam-mode though), a general fear for the quality of kits from that time have kept me from getting one. Call me spoiled, but I need my double elbows and knees, and being a transformer only promises compromises made to accomodate that feature.

When I saw the preview last week, I thought that one of the two girls would be an acquaintance of Ayame. Hell, when I first saw the preview I had to do a double-take because I thought she was Ayame. Cut off the ninja's tails, take away her mask, make her smile...

The biggest surprise for me this week was that the break decals have an off-button. It's an evil soul-consuming, gamebreaking virus. Why would you want your emotionally manipulated victim to have the option to say, "Ok, I'm done. Normal mode again, please." It even insta-fixed all corruption it caused.

Other than that, I don't have much to say about this episode. It had its cute little moments, like the Momokapool's eyes making heart-shaped flashes or the overly serious character hugging one of the mascots when she thought no-one was watching, but overall it felt like filler to me.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/ZGMF-X88S_Gaia_Gundam

Seed and destiny are bad shows with good mech designs. You should check them out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

That bit at the portal was genuinely great and needs to be giffed.

I think the main problem with GBD is that it lacks GBF’s irreverent, imaginative lunacy. It’s a competent kids’ sports show that does a solid job of marketing the brand it’s supposed to advertise, but it’s not willing to embrace the absurdity on nearly the same level. This isn’t a show where you’d get Gunpla as currency, Gunpla as part of a PUA’s toolkit, the Gunpla Mafia, or antagonists like Mashita and Baker. It’s playing things extremely safe and extremely straight, and while that does mean it’s avoiding Try’s missteps, it also makes the whole show feel a tad soulless.

GBF made a pretty big effort to show that the ridiculous gunpla craze had pretty much permeated society to a huge degree(which allowed stuff like Fellini's Gunpla PUA Maneuver and Kirara the Gunpla Idol), whereas here there's that degree of video game separation that reminds you that the characters are a logout away from nothing in GBD mattering. This is kind of why I don't really like the VR MMO idea and would rather that they were just in a fantasy world or isekai'd or something. Rommel as a character concept is great but I would rather that he was just a Zeon ferret instead of some guy playing as a Zeon ferret, as an example.

If they're going to have it be a video game, I think it would be best for them to stick with the competition and team battling angle instead of whatever the hell they're trying to do with the Mass Divers plot. The contrast between the previous episode and this one is very stark; both of them had similar amounts of wink wink nudge nudge Gundam franchise fan-love, but the action segment in this one was extremely boring while the action segment in last week's was extremely entertaining and relatively hype. Frankly, I don't care if hackers are messing up the MMO if the problem can be ignored by logging out.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where can I get the Zaku with the giant halo sticking out of his head

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Look for RWS-119 EWAC Zack gunpla.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-EWACK-ZACK-Action-Figure/dp/B0028VOG5Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527011988&sr=8-1&keywords=ewac+zack

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Taintrunner posted:

Better price if you live in the states https://www.gundamplanet.com/hguc-rms-119-ewac-zack.html

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Y'all are the realest.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol I didn't even notice this reference until I screen capped this scene for the quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMNEp_OEwzo

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Kanos posted:

GBF made a pretty big effort to show that the ridiculous gunpla craze had pretty much permeated society to a huge degree(which allowed stuff like Fellini's Gunpla PUA Maneuver and Kirara the Gunpla Idol), whereas here there's that degree of video game separation that reminds you that the characters are a logout away from nothing in GBD mattering. This is kind of why I don't really like the VR MMO idea and would rather that they were just in a fantasy world or isekai'd or something. Rommel as a character concept is great but I would rather that he was just a Zeon ferret instead of some guy playing as a Zeon ferret, as an example.

If they're going to have it be a video game, I think it would be best for them to stick with the competition and team battling angle instead of whatever the hell they're trying to do with the Mass Divers plot. The contrast between the previous episode and this one is very stark; both of them had similar amounts of wink wink nudge nudge Gundam franchise fan-love, but the action segment in this one was extremely boring while the action segment in last week's was extremely entertaining and relatively hype. Frankly, I don't care if hackers are messing up the MMO if the problem can be ignored by logging out.

Wouldn't it be crazy if the post credits had Rommel take off his diver visor to reveal that he was a meerkat or mongoose all this time. But he wanted to cosplay as a Stoat to see what it would be like.

Also gunpla has always been removed from the rest of the world. Sure it's a sub culture but nothing more. The only real difference that hurts Divers and was a book for Try and Build is the spotting of Gundam universe character used to be a sign of Gundam Valhalla. Now it's just boring cosplay. Except Patrick, his journey is one that transends the multiverse.

I also think the hooded man is stupid, his motivation is dumb, and decal breaks have lost every match making them such a non threat, that GBN should use them for mini events like in the Rift mmo.

Sazabi fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 22, 2018

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've never directly identified more with an anime character until Ayame had to go to an amusement park.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

MJP posted:

I've never directly identified more with an anime character until Ayame had to go to an amusement park.

Did you also get a brief moment of happiness only to have it ruined by your friends say "don't look now. But I think MJP is actually having fun. OH BOY!"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

lol I didn't even notice this reference until I screen capped this scene for the quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMNEp_OEwzo

oh god what the gently caress this show

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sazabi posted:

Wouldn't it be crazy if the post credits had Rommel take off his diver visor to reveal that he was a meerkat or mongoose all this time. But he wanted to cosplay as a Stoat to see what it would be like.

Also gunpla has always been removed from the rest of the world. Sure it's a sub culture but nothing more. The only real difference that hurts Divers and was a book for Try and Build is the spotting of Gundam universe character used to be a sign of Gundam Valhalla. Now it's just boring cosplay. Except Patrick, his journey is one that transends the multiverse.

I also think the hooded man is stupid, his motivation is dumb, and decal breaks have lost every match making them such a non threat, that GBN should use them for mini events like in the Rift mmo.

In GBF, Gunpla is a pretty goddamn big subculture. They have tournaments across the entire world and an international competition so big that it attracts thousands of attendees and requires qualifiers in different countries to attend. It's not a universal thing that everyone is into(China has to be introduced to it, for example), but it's a massive established juggernaut.

Yeah it would be cool if the Mass Divers could actually accomplish something threatening if they're going to be a thing. Every time they've appeared they've been immediately clowned on by whoever happens to be present after accomplishing pretty much nothing.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sazabi posted:

Did you also get a brief moment of happiness only to have it ruined by your friends say "don't look now. But I think MJP is actually having fun. OH BOY!"

Like I said, I've never identified more.

I really do like Ayame, though. She's Aila-ish in that aloof kinda "I really don't give too much of a crap about this" way. It's really refreshing to not see blinding enthusiasm in an otherwise blindingly enthusiastic show, doubly when your outfit game is on point. I wish she had a non-SD version, though, imagine how awesome a ninjafied Unicorn would be. (I know this isn't the Gunpla thread but the praxis is real)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

This episode made it pretty clear that Ayame is just as blindingly enthusiastic as the others, she just hides it under a too cool for school facade.

If anyone looked put-upon in this ep, it was Koichi, who felt to me like the long-suffering adult forced to babysit his friend's kids.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
The only people put-upon is the audience.:colbert:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MJP posted:

Like I said, I've never identified more.

I really do like Ayame, though. She's Aila-ish in that aloof kinda "I really don't give too much of a crap about this" way. It's really refreshing to not see blinding enthusiasm in an otherwise blindingly enthusiastic show, doubly when your outfit game is on point. I wish she had a non-SD version, though, imagine how awesome a ninjafied Unicorn would be. (I know this isn't the Gunpla thread but the praxis is real)

Sorry she's a girl, thereby she must had an SD or a "Cute" gunpla.

I really hate how that's still a thing three series in.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Monaghan posted:

I mind that trend significantly less than the "woman working in a gunpla store who doesn't know anything about gundam" trend. Like come on guys. How many times does cranky grandpa Tomino have to yell about how gundam has female fans?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 22, 2018

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Monaghan posted:

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/AMX-104GG_R-Gyagya

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Monaghan posted:

weirdly it means the girls get the only suits that are interesting in concept/to watch fight, so there's at least some upside.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Also:

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/GNW-100P_Gundam_Portent

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/NMX-004_Qubeley_Papillon

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Monaghan posted:

OTOH the cute SD gunpla are consistently the best ones.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

wow y'all were not kidding about the awful excuse for conflict in this ep. and they waste the cool BuCue on it

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

dogsicle posted:

wow y'all were not kidding about the awful excuse for conflict in this ep. and they waste the cool BuCue on it

Call me mystified. Just how many people recognize the obscure Mobile BuCue but have no idea what a Gaia Gundam is? IMHO looks more like a LaGowe anyway.

For comparison:

Gaia Gundam

BuCUE

LaGOWE

Which reminds me, why can't Build Divers have more interesting MSV.

Like Gaia Impulse Gundam

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The "obscure" BaCUE is a recurring antagonist's mecha of choice for an entire arc of Gundam SeeD. The Gaia Gundam would require watching SeeD Destiny.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I forgot all about the BaCUE.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The "obscure" BaCUE is a recurring antagonist's mecha of choice for an entire arc of Gundam SeeD. The Gaia Gundam would require watching SeeD Destiny.

I remembering Andy piloting a BuCUE one time before bringing out the LaGOWE, though I admit it's been a few years.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xarbala posted:

I forgot all about the BaCUE.

This is normal.

They're weirdly Zoid like for Gundam mechs, but without the things that make Zoids fun. They just... exist.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Monaghan posted:

Miss Sazabi and Qubeley Papillon weren't SD or "Cute".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Schubalts posted:

Miss Sazabi and Qubeley Papillon weren't SD or "Cute".

Don't forget the GM Powered Cardigan.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I only really remember China with her Beargguy and a couple of minor characters with Nobel Gundam variants as girl characters with girly Gunplas. SD Gundams were used a bit more but still weren't egregious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

I only really remember China with her Beargguy and a couple of minor characters with Nobel Gundam variants as girl characters with girly Gunplas. SD Gundams were used a bit more but still weren't egregious.

Except for the Winning Gundam and I guess that one single episode where Lady Meijin did something, none of the major contender girl fighters in either GBF or GBF Try relied on cutesy or SD Gundams. Aila used a Qubeley, which is a "girl" unit but definitely not cutesy(especially since hers was a stab murderer) and later moved to a Sazabi. Kirara used a Gerbera Tetra. Gyanko used Gyan and R-Jarja variants with her sidekicks using a Nobel and Rising before upgrading to customized Impulses. Fumina had the Cardigan before upgrading to the Winning and then the Star Winning(which had a non-SD mode as its main feature). Shia used the Portent, which is based off an obscure repair robot from the 00 movie. Hell, even whats-her-face from the Mega Shiki team used a custom V Gundam.

China and Caroline used a cutesy Beargguy and an SD Knight Gundam respectively, and Mirai and her friend used a Beargguy and a Petitguy respectively, but those characters never compete in a major tournament and are generally presented as hobbyists and onlookers.

"Girls are only allowed to use SDs or cutesy units" is kind of a weird meme that isn't based on reality. There's a tendency for girls to use units that were piloted by girls in Gundam canon, I guess.

• Locked thread