Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EightBit posted:

Also, cruise control tends to be reactive still, so perhaps they are using cruise control and it just sucks.

On a long flat stretch of road my toyota will oscillate the throttle the tiniest bit. The dash has a digital display of throttle input and I can see it wiggling back and forth a couple pixels every few seconds.

My actual speed never changes, but I can feel the car surging slightly and it bugs me more than it should. Sometimes a slight tap up or down of the cruise control setting eliminates it so I assume it's either a floating point error or the ECU doesn't have enough resolution to hit the configured speed exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Hate cruise control. Never use it. The trick is to push on the “go faster” pedal when there is a hill to go up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone didn't think this through.

https://i.imgur.com/bk4g4uG.gifv

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

xzzy posted:

Neither of them did. I mean the video shows the semi moving right to make sure they contact instead of just taking his food off the gas. He showed 'em!

I feel like if you're a semi driver you would be more used to people cutting in at the last second, its just something you'll never stop so might as well work on your reactions to it a little better.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cage posted:

Neither of them did. I mean the video shows the semi moving right to make sure they contact instead of just taking his food off the gas. He showed 'em!

I feel like if you're a semi driver you would be more used to people cutting in at the last second, its just something you'll never stop so might as well work on your reactions to it a little better.

I mean it's also possible that the guy in the care braked at the last second and the truck driver straight-up couldn't stop in time, regardless of which direction he want in.

Also if he went left instead of moving right or straight the right corner of his cab would likely have impacted directly into the driver's side door.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They both hosed up in various ways but let's not kid ourselves that we have never fantasized about pitting an rear end in a top hat on the highway.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

xzzy posted:

The very beginning shows the truck driver going onto the gore point/shoulder to the right to stop people from passing him on the shoulder. Justified dick move.

The SUV driver got what he deserved. I'm super stiff.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

StormDrain posted:

My pet peeve lately is people who can’t maintain a speed. I use cruise control often on the interstate, both so I don’t accidentally get up faster than I intend or drop down while thinking or daydreaming. Then I roll up on someone, try to pass, and suddenly we’re speed matched. Hey bud, I caught up so obviously I’m going faster on average, let me by. And other times we just keep trading places. Dude! I’m going 77 all day, up hill, down hill, through the turn in the road. Don’t pass me downhill to make me pass you in the turn, then you pass on the flat and now I’ll pass uphill.

A million times this. It is my kryptonite.

Did a 400 mile round trip drive on Sunday and in one 10 mile window I passed the same dumbass twelve different times and at no point did I change speed. Cruise or not its not that loving hard to maintain a single speed. jfc

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

The very beginning shows the truck driver going onto the gore point/shoulder to the right to stop people from passing him on the shoulder. Justified dick move.

The SUV driver got what he deserved. I'm super stiff.

The only thing the SUV driver is gonna get is a rental while someone else foots the repair bill. What he deserves is a beating for being a shitheel because there's a 100% chance he does that poo poo every loving day.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
The thing that amazes me is that people gently caress with each other on the road like that in The Year of Our Lord 2018 where any idiot with a pulse and enough muscle control to scribble on a sheet of paper can carry around a literal weapon of war. I'm waiting for the day I honk at a guy checking his cellphone at a light and he responds by pulling out a gun and firing wildly into my car.

Also, how awkward would that be to pull over after said accident and have them come to your cab (or you go to them)?

Edit: The constant speed thing is why I loathe automatic transmissions, holy poo poo do I loathe them. I swear it was nigh impossible to keep my Mazda 3 at any sort of constant speed due to the loving thing locking and unlocking the converter a million times a mile, and how the car would seemingly slow down and speed up at random. The manual Cooper is 10,000 times easier to keep at a constant speed and a much more enjoyable drive on long trips despite the rock-hard seats.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 22, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The problem there is that any idiot with a pulse and enough muscle control to scribble on a sheet of paper can legally pilot a 6000 pound rolling block of kinetic energy with no retesting for life.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I was walking through a walmart parking lot yesterday and some guy nearly pizza'd me. I didn't react all that much other than to have the wide googly eyes and mutter "slow the gently caress down gat dang" under my breath. He rolled down his window and my heart sank. I thought 100% he was just gonna gun me down for making him use his brake pedal. He smiled at me and shouted "I'm so sorry about that!" and drove off.

Welcome to 'murica where its more normal to think someone is going to murder you than apologize.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When is the NHSTA gonna factor bullet penetration into their safety ratings?

Or when is a manufacturer gonna start advertising how bullet proof their cars are.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
When the EPA drops all MPG standards by 70% to account for the weight that would add, I guess.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I was walking through a walmart parking lot yesterday and some guy nearly pizza'd me. I didn't react all that much other than to have the wide googly eyes and mutter "slow the gently caress down gat dang" under my breath. He rolled down his window and my heart sank. I thought 100% he was just gonna gun me down for making him use his brake pedal. He smiled at me and shouted "I'm so sorry about that!" and drove off.

Welcome to 'murica where its more normal to think someone is going to murder you than apologize.

I had the exact opposite experience the other day. My son and I were walking through a local pizza place parking area when some dude who was not even in a parking spot decided to flatten us when we were behind him then get REALLY angry when I tapped his window for him to stop so he wouldn’t run over my kid (who is adult-sized and would not have been invisible due to window height). I’m not normally confrontational because of the reason you stated but the complete disregard for mine and especially my son’s existence threw me into a rage and it admittedly felt good to yell at him as he sped away in his Kia Sorento with his wife also screaming at him (because, you see, she saw us). My kid never lets that kind of stuff bug him and he never curses in front of me but when we got into the car he even said “what the poo poo was that guy’s problem?”

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Cage posted:

On the other hand, you have a guy being a dick by jumping in every lane you jump into to avoid him and he half-rear end brake checks you every single time. I only wish that service truck at the beginning of the gif was a cop car so this dingus could have been pulled over and yelled at for a while.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Javid posted:

The problem there is that any idiot with a pulse and enough muscle control to scribble on a sheet of paper can legally pilot a 6000 pound rolling block of kinetic energy with no retesting for life.

Additionally, because no one is retested, no one has any clue what to do at a HAWK beacon or any number of new traffic control devices that have popped up over the last decade.
I'm amazed I don't see more accidents at the numerous diverging diamonds around me.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

On the other hand, you have a guy being a dick by jumping in every lane you jump into to avoid him and he half-rear end brake checks you every single time. I only wish that service truck at the beginning of the gif was a cop car so this dingus could have been pulled over and yelled at for a while.

Yeah, once you have someone blocking or brake checking any sympathy for them goes out the window. Whatever happens from there on out may be illegal but the rear end in a top hat is literally asking for it.

I would be in favor of a world where a dashcam video like this could serve as an affirmative defense against any charges the truck driver may face.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

wolrah posted:

Yeah, once you have someone blocking or brake checking any sympathy for them goes out the window. Whatever happens from there on out may be illegal but the rear end in a top hat is literally asking for it.

I would be in favor of a world where a dashcam video like this could serve as an affirmative defense against any charges the truck driver may face.

Why wouldn't it be?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

xzzy posted:

They both hosed up in various ways but let's not kid ourselves that we have never fantasized about pitting an rear end in a top hat on the highway.

SUV driver fully in the wrong, trucker tried doing everything to get away but that little pecker was persistent. Got what they deserved, betting it was some butthurt boomer or a stupid lady on a phone with a "call your manager" haircut

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It looks like the truck driver did initiate the contact, but the guy in the SUV was causing more problems for traffic as a whole and instigating the incident the entire time. I think the truck was reasonably patient and if I was on a jury I don't think I'd fault him, even if he was in the wrong.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Funny thing is, if you deliberately antagonise and pick a fight with someone several times your size, whether you're in the right or not doesn't make it hurt less when they hit you.

It always amazes me how people make it to adulthood without having learnt that.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

InitialDave posted:

Funny thing is, if you deliberately antagonise and pick a fight with someone several times your size, whether you're in the right or not doesn't make it hurt less when they hit you.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

InitialDave posted:

As a lifelong motorcyclist, this was drummed into me by more experienced riders when I was a new rider, and I try to pass it along to the young riders I talk to. The concept of being "dead right". Yeah, you were the one that was right, but you are also the one that is now dead.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Why wouldn't it be?

I was rear ended while stopped behind a sheriff deputy who had his legal bar going, by a college age girl who admitted to the responding local cops that she had been texting and driving in late 2016.

Her insurer tried to claim that it was 25/75 fault (25 for me) because "if you hadn't been driving your car at the time the accident would never have occurred."

If we're to the point where insurers assign fault for merely driving your car there's no way that trucker isn't getting thrown under the bus.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When they drop that line on you they're just loving with you to see if you fight back. If you don't, sweet, agent got a cool 25% savings he can report. If you push back or bring a lawyer to the plate they will quickly adjust the percentage to make the problem go away.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

xzzy posted:

When they drop that line on you they're just loving with you to see if you fight back. If you don't, sweet, agent got a cool 25% savings he can report. If you push back or bring a lawyer to the plate they will quickly adjust the percentage to make the problem go away.

this. just say, can you repeat that into my recorder please?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

That's pretty much what happened. I told the adjuster I was trying to be reasonable, but if they wanted to push it I felt my back stiffening and I had a stack of mailers from all of the ambulance-chasing lawyers in the tri-county area...

The next day his manager "approved [them] assuming full liability for the accident" :rolleyes:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Geoj posted:

I was rear ended while stopped behind a sheriff deputy who had his legal bar going, by a college age girl who admitted to the responding local cops that she had been texting and driving in late 2016.

Her insurer tried to claim that it was 25/75 fault (25 for me) because "if you hadn't been driving your car at the time the accident would never have occurred."

If we're to the point where insurers assign fault for merely driving your car there's no way that trucker isn't getting thrown under the bus.

Did you have a dashcam?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Did you have a dashcam?

No, but it wouldn't have made much of a difference considering their whole argument was basically "you're partly at fault for being at the wrong place at the wrong time."

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Geoj posted:

No, but it wouldn't have made much of a difference considering their whole argument was basically "you're partly at fault for being at the wrong place at the wrong time."

I have to disagree with you on that one, I guess.

e: at the very least it would have been an ironclad "gently caress off" to that or any other fault argument they could have made.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Measly Twerp posted:

How to solve the problem without being a complete poo poo:

Problem: I need to get to an event outside of the blocked off area and I need to take some equipment with me that I cannot carry myself.

Solution: Explain your situation to one of the many people outside and ask if they wouldn't mind helping you carry the equipment on foot so that you can catch a taxi outside of the blocked off area.

You definitely don't drive your car into a crowd of people after being repeatedly told that there's no way out that way either. This woman was being incredibly selfish and lazy.

Thank you for instructing us about right and wrong

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I need instruction on occasion :shrug:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Geoj posted:

I have literally never heard this line and I’ve been in the industry for a decade. What company was this?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

fakeaccount posted:

Thank you for instructing us about right and wrong

lol this might literally be the most needlessly dickish responses I've ever seen, gj

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I have literally never heard this line and I’ve been in the industry for a decade. What company was this?

Erie Insurance. The whole experience of dealing with them made me understand why people just sue instead of trying to get the claim settled amicably.

Aside from the baseless partial fault claim they "couldn't reach" the girl that hit me for two weeks and refused to assume liability, offensively lowballed us on the car's valuation on the initial offer by only finding examples with twice the mileage and half the options, then didn't reimburse me for the rental car I had been paying for out of pocket for 8 days before they assumed liability and hosed up the payout to the bank that held the title on the car (after extensively arguing with the adjuster they agreed to pay more than we owed, but cut the check for the full amount to the bank) that resulted in another 10 days' delay before it was corrected.

If I'm ever in an accident with one of their insureds again I'm making a beeline to the ambulance-chasiest lawyer I can find.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 23, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Geoj posted:

Erie Insurance. The whole experience of dealing with them made me understand why people just sue instead of trying to get the claim settled amicably.

Aside from the baseless partial fault claim they "couldn't reach" the girl that hit me for two weeks and refused to assume liability, offensively lowballed us on the car's valuation on the initial offer by only finding examples with twice the mileage and half the options, then didn't reimburse me for the rental car I had been paying for out of pocket for 8 days before they assumed liability and hosed up the payout to the bank that held the title on the car (after extensively arguing with the adjuster they agreed to pay more than we owed, but cut the check for the full amount to the bank) that resulted in another 10 days' delay before it was corrected.

If I'm ever in an accident with one of their insureds again I'm making a beeline to the ambulance-chasiest lawyer I can find.

All of this sounds pretty lovely, except the assuming liability part. I've seen plenty of people try to force through a claim when the insured has been out of the country or even in the hospital, only to realize their master plan requires someone to just say "oh, ok, we'll pay you" and that doesn't exactly happen. Erie is more of a small time player except in certain markets, so this kind of behavior isn't totally unexpected. There are definitely some carriers who do everything in their power to offload the claims handling to other carriers and basically just pay subrogation demands.

Keeps the costs low for them.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

I've seen plenty of people try to force through a claim when the insured has been out of the country or even in the hospital

Does this mean if you don't want to be held liable for an accident you can just blow off your insurance company indefinitely when they call for your side of the story?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Geoj posted:

Does this mean if you don't want to be held liable for an accident you can just blow off your insurance company indefinitely when they call for your side of the story?

It's happened, yes. Your insurance policy stipulates that you must cooperate in the event of a claim, so if you never respond, and there is no police report, or witnesses, etc. then it's likely they would deny the claim for non-cooperation since they can't confirm the facts of loss. In that case you have to use your own coverage or sue the individual directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

It's happened, yes. Your insurance policy stipulates that you must cooperate in the event of a claim, so if you never respond, and there is no police report, or witnesses, etc. then it's likely they would deny the claim for non-cooperation since they can't confirm the facts of loss. In that case you have to use your own coverage or sue the individual directly.

In my case there was a police report, and a law enforcement officer witnessed the accident. So I assume they were just stalling and/or hoping I'd give up and gently caress off?