Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Joff the Shaolin Monk and Nick Army are each other's date for the plaza prom and slow-dance together.

I feel like that goes beyond "implied."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm... kind of starting to wonder if there's popular cartoons now that haven't had queer content of some kind.

I mean while it's good to see anything, it's all been side to mostly background characters, the real threat arises when it's a headlining character most of all the protagonist, it's easy to slap "They're gay" on bit characters, Concerned Parents will likely miss it, chuds will only vaguely care because it's not enough to spin out a giant spiel on, I wish someone or other would just go for it.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Yardbomb posted:

I mean while it's good to see anything, it's all been side to mostly background characters, the real threat arises when it's a headlining character most of all the protagonist, it's easy to slap "They're gay" on bit characters, Concerned Parents will likely miss it, chuds will only vaguely care because it's not enough to spin out a giant spiel on, I wish someone or other would just go for it.

You forgot, "And some country will change a character's gender or not air it on tv".

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, Steven Universe gets butchered in localization in some countries in an attempt to excise all the queer themes.

Also, gay men are a lot less common in cartoons than lesbian women, probably because homophobes find gay men a lot more objectionable.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Pakled posted:

Also, gay men are a lot less common in cartoons than lesbian women, probably because homophobes find gay men a lot more objectionable.

Yep, at this point lesbians in media have become pretty 'safe' picks, gay men are gross and scary to too many people still, while transpeople barely get to be thankful they're not purely joke fodder once in a blue moon now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rand Brittain posted:

Joff the Shaolin Monk and Nick Army are each other's date for the plaza prom and slow-dance together.

I feel like that goes beyond "implied."

In a recent episode they stare at each other and say "I love you". ...as an example of how to be better with partners. At the end they walk to the sunset while holding hands.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
When I saw that screen of Enid making googly eyes at Red Action, I thought, haha, that's pretty gay.

When I got around to seeing the episode, holy poo poo, I was not prepared for how gay it was. I'm not complaining at all, but drat, the homoerotic tension before the rest of Red's team shows up was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Re: "CalArts style," I first heard it used on, ugh, John Kricfalusi's blog in the mid aughts, and he definitely didn't use it the way people today are using it today. I can't remember exactly what he was referring to, probably stuff that aped the Disney Renaissance.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm finally getting into OK KO and it's good as hell, y'all.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm finally getting into OK KO and it's good as hell, y'all.

:yeah:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

"CalArts" was used as an insult against all of the shows in the late 90s and early 00s that had UPA-inspired or Paul Rudish-style design, even though there was a lot of Spumco DNA in animation of that era as well

It's shorthand for "I don't like the way this young generation draws, things were better in MY day" and appealing to an era that had Brandy & Mr Whiskers, or Turbo Teen if you want to bring up Thundercats

Back when Kim Possible was on the air, anonymous animators would shittalk the art and call it "Flash" art

In the late 00s, any cartoon that drew eyes any way other than perfectly spherical with homer simpson pupils was derisively called "anime"

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Star vs has had guys kissing in the background, Gravity Falls is very gay friendly (Sheriff Blubs and Deputy Durland), Adventure Time has stated Princess Bubblegum and Marceline used to date. That’s off the top of my head.

to be clear this is totally pathetic

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Loud House has openly gay characters that it doesn't hide but it's also the creation of a creepy rear end in a top hat (at least he's not working there anymore though)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Star vs has had guys kissing in the background, Gravity Falls is very gay friendly (Sheriff Blubs and Deputy Durland), Adventure Time has stated Princess Bubblegum and Marceline used to date. That’s off the top of my head.

I'm actually familiar with Gravity Falls and AT, so I at least have some context for those examples. The thread has gone on to just kinda vaguely gesture at characters and dynamics I'm not familiar with though, so maybe those are even a step further. I dunno if my expectations are too high in this case, but aside from the queerness that permeates SU and the Bubblegum/Marceline stuff in AT, nothing I had seen really seemed significantly queer enough to warrant much note or have a whole dogwhistle cooked up for it. The initial post saying as much seemed like a reach to me and since then nobody has really followed up on it being a thing.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Those of you who were a fan of Lauren Faust’s Super Best Friends Forever rejoice!

https://twitter.com/worldsfinest/status/998706828627230720?s=21

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There might be something to say about Marco's frequent crossdressing in Star Vs. I feel like it's a bigger deal than, say, Bugs Bunny crossdressing for comedy value. It started out that way as just a plot contrivance, but it's happened so often since then, in ways that clearly aren't just "haha laugh at the boy wearing a dress." I think it's evolved into some kind of statement about masculinity.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

"CalArts" was used as an insult against all of the shows in the late 90s and early 00s that had UPA-inspired or Paul Rudish-style design, even though there was a lot of Spumco DNA in animation of that era as well

It's shorthand for "I don't like the way this young generation draws, things were better in MY day" and appealing to an era that had Brandy & Mr Whiskers, or Turbo Teen if you want to bring up Thundercats

Back when Kim Possible was on the air, anonymous animators would shittalk the art and call it "Flash" art

In the late 00s, any cartoon that drew eyes any way other than perfectly spherical with homer simpson pupils was derisively called "anime"

I can't believe there are people in this world that unironically enjoy Turbo Teen unless it's literally some kid/now-grownup who's waking up from a coma.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 22, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

John K's bitched about CalArts dating back to loving Sword in the Stone

He's an idiot piece of poo poo pedophile dumbfuck

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Iron Giant looks loving NOTHING like Scooby Doo OR 101 Dalmations. This is the most baffling thing I've seen in a long loving time :psyduck:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Gann Jerrod posted:

Those of you who were a fan of Lauren Faust’s Super Best Friends Forever rejoice!

https://twitter.com/worldsfinest/status/998706828627230720?s=21

Sweet, I loved those shorts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEK8Y4nzveo

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Macaluso posted:

The Iron Giant looks loving NOTHING like Scooby Doo OR 101 Dalmations. This is the most baffling thing I've seen in a long loving time :psyduck:

Eh I can easily see the 101 Dalmatians resemblance, but yeah, the scooby doo part is pure :psyduck:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's been a while since I've seen 101 Dalmatians but aside from Mansley's nose having the same vague shape as the male lead, I don't see it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that in all recent Supergirl things whenever her and Clark have a real fight she wins due to knowing how to actually fight. Even if she did cheat a little in that short.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Just imagine being so intellectually and emotionally broken that you hated The Iron Giant.

e: Is John K the worst person imaginable? Surveys indicate yes.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pakled posted:

There might be something to say about Marco's frequent crossdressing in Star Vs. I feel like it's a bigger deal than, say, Bugs Bunny crossdressing for comedy value. It started out that way as just a plot contrivance, but it's happened so often since then, in ways that clearly aren't just "haha laugh at the boy wearing a dress." I think it's evolved into some kind of statement about masculinity.

The statement was pretty clear when a school full of princesses shouted, "A boy can be a princess if he wants!"

Then there was the time he sang a duet about heartbreak with Tom. It's subtext, sure, but he is a main character.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

For some reason, a lot of people latch onto seeing stylistic similarities and influences as being some kinda scam.

Or they just bandy it about as the only quantifiable thing in this general trend they feel in their hearts as they age of everything going to poo poo.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
at this point "CalArts" is just the animation twitter equivalent of "cultural marxism" or "the Frankfurt school", it's a vague shorthand used by nerdy white guys to describe art made women/queers/poc that they don't like

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The statement was pretty clear when a school full of princesses shouted, "A boy can be a princess if he wants!"

Then there was the time he sang a duet about heartbreak with Tom. It's subtext, sure, but he is a main character.

Not to mention the whole arc of said school is a shitton of girls being violently forced into the box of traditional femininity and equally violently rebelling against it inspired by the boy in the dress. And the show's basically rapidly turning into a study on race and class dynamics and how they gently caress people up.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

My two cents is that I feel like Marco being in a dress is a more powerful message than Steven Universe being in a dress (during the episode he takes over Sadie's position as singer of a pop song) because Marco is more traditionally masculine in his behavior and portrayal. Especially since Marco also can be a ripped hunk and there's no schism or break between these personas in the way other characters treat him meanwhile Steven is overall more feminine all around and the one time he's in a dress a character comments to the effect of "oh, ofc it's Steven" and Steven is a bit of a special snowflake all around where Marco is mostly just "the normal one" contrasting with Star being the special one.

(Despite her heritage being revealed as ordinary, her skills with magic have been noted as superb.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's more Star has talent with magic, as her skill with it is mostly hilariously awful for most of the show so far. I do like that about the show, the main character is basically a wizard who wields magic with the subtlety of a flaming sledgehammer.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/Calavera145/status/998632492549791750

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the funny thing is... i feel like that CN group really doesn't help his point all that much

because the vast majority of those characters have the same eyes, and while they have different head shapes all but like 2 are ultra-rounded without any sharp angles (one's a Total Drama character, I think, so that's not really CN even if they air it, and I have no idea what that dinosaur is but I'm inclined to not count it since it's CGI and we're talking about 2D art styles)

but like, i feel like this isn't really actually that much of a problem or even something noteworthy? "CN has a house style" should be well in the No poo poo Sherlock Zone for everybody

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/StephenByrne86/status/998700401418559488

Yes please

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The CGI dinosaur is Tina, from The Amazing World of Gumball.

That's part of why the bean head .gif is funny. They throw Gumball in there as a dig when half the show's gimmick is that every family of characters has its own animation style. Tina and her dad are CGI T-Rexes, there's a puppet family, a paper cutout girl, etc.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly I think a lot of the animosity (ha) that Thundercats Roar got for itself comes from the fact that there's not really much of anything to hang a fully formed opinion on.

I mean we got where Lakewood Plaza Turbo / OK KO was coming from because we had the pilot to work with and we got the jist of what they were trying to do.

Here all you have is not even a treatment, some words from the show runner that suggests he maybe has a clue what he's talking about that's then undercut a bit by an opening that's that radical shift away from what is normally associated with Thundercats (give TTG it's poo poo, it still uses a version of the Puffy Ami Yumi tune) and vaugely whiffs of an attempt at being a Me too version of OK KO's opening.

And with a half completed picture everyone's trying desperately to figure out what the hell is even up with this show by way of poly-filling the gaps and going with what's obvious (IE: That this looks a lot like OK KO and TTG and those inclined are more worried it'll take after the reboot rather than the orgional property).

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
why are animators so poo poo at twitter

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Low Desert Punk posted:

why are animators so poo poo at twitter

They work long hours at a stressful job in a relatively insular industry and come home to find legions of nerds yelling at them or their friends/coworkers and flinging poo poo about contradictory/inconsequential bullshit

Frankly it's amazing they're as well put together as they are.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Man, I have wanted a back-in-high-school goofy animated Buffy show for ages and these character designs are pretty freaking awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

They also seem to be way more defensive of other shows than their own.