Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SlyFrog posted:

That seems pretty nasty, particularly for private practice. State jobs up here pay significantly more than that (I mean, you won't be rich, but you also won't be making $20 an hour).

You are making me think that I should move to North Florida though, as I imagine the cost of living must be really low if those are the wages they pay professionals (and you allude to the same).

I've always thought it would be kind of cool to just take a relatively small amount of money but move to a hyper-low cost of living area, and just live like a king (like some mansion home for $200k). But I think those really low cost of living areas are disappearing, as the drat Californians keep discovering them and moving there with their remote IT jobs, jacking up the prices. Bastards.

Cost of living in my area according to MIT:
code:
Hourly Wages	1 Adult	1A1C	1A2C	1A3C	2A1W	2A1W1C	2A1W2C	2A1W3C	2A1PT1C	2A	2A1C	2A2C	2A3C
Living Wage	$11.45	$23.86	$27.29	$34.09	$18.36	$21.80	$24.65	$27.22	$16.58	$9.18	$12.76	$15.12	$17.35
Poverty Wage	$5.00	$7.00	$9.00	$11.00	$7.00	$9.00	$11.00	$13.00		$3.00	$4.00	$5.00	$6.00
Minimum Wage	$8.25	$8.25	$8.25	$8.25	$8.25	$8.25	$8.25	$8.25		$8.25	$8.25	$8.25	$8.25
Key - A = Adult, C = Child, 1W = 1 working, 1PT = 1 working part time. The 2A columns in the right are just two adults. If you're familiar at all with the MIT cost of living calculator this should be familiar. These "living wages" are pretty much bare minimum with no savings. Expense estimates are on each county's page if you're curious.

Cost of living around here definitely isn't high. All florida public employee wages are searchable, so you can find what any position is making. If you did want to practice law down here, you'll have to take the florida bar exam. The february exam (that I barely passed) is the one most snowbirds take. Last two years passing rate has been 57-58%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CaptainScraps posted:

I'll also pitch working doc review with some doorlaw. Once you get some experience, you're much more employable if you're not a loving rear end in a top hat like some old attorneys I know.

Doorlaw? Also I don't even know where to find doc review gigs around here.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Slyfrog, I will sell you a 70k 4br2ba 1800sft home in Wichita Falls, TX. You and another poster in this thread (not me) can be best friends.

No. I am too wounded that we would not be besties. :(

CaptainScraps posted:

you're much more employable if you're not a loving rear end in a top hat like some old attorneys I know.

Nope, barrier to entry too high - repressing rear end in a top hat nature too difficult.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Cost of living in my area according to MIT:
code:

[tables deleted because I am old and do not understand internet bulletin board code to make tables stay tables]

Cost of living around here definitely isn't high. All florida public employee wages are searchable, so you can find what any position is making. If you did want to practice law down here, you'll have to take the florida bar exam. The february exam (that I barely passed) is the one most snowbirds take. Last two years passing rate has been 57-58%

Okay, that makes a bit more sense. So if you are a single living down there, low $20s an hour is literally double the "living wage."

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 19, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
A lot of financial firms have or are moving back offices to Florida. For example, Citibank moved a ton of people to Tampa. Quite a few in house lawyers took packages rather than move to Tampa. Working for one of the banks in compliance might be an option to get your foot in the door. (Going to legal usually requires a good deal of experience.) If you're interested, I can ask around Mr. Nice. Though now that I think about it a lower paying government job still might be nicer.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 19, 2018

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

SlyFrog posted:

I've always thought it would be kind of cool to just take a relatively small amount of money but move to a hyper-low cost of living area, and just live like a king (like some mansion home for $200k). But I think those really low cost of living areas are disappearing, as the drat Californians keep discovering them and moving there with their remote IT jobs, jacking up the prices. Bastards.
THIS SEASON ON FOX: Country Lawyer!

There's real benefits to living in a city though. For example, 200k in St. Louis could get you a rather nice house that's walking distance to the zoo which is free entry. So you could walk over there every day and say good morning to the bears and giraffes and red pandas.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SlyFrog posted:

No. I am too wounded that we would not be besties. :(

Nope, barrier to entry too high - repressing rear end in a top hat nature too difficult.

Okay, that makes a bit more sense. So if you are a single living down there, low $20s an hour is literally double the "living wage."

I pay $660/mo in rent for a 2/1 house on a 1/4 acre lot. I can pay my rent and living bills almost entirely out of my VA compensation pay. People raise families on $47k down here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Yuns posted:

A lot of financial firms have or are moving back offices to Florida. For example, Citibank moved a ton of people to Tampa. Quite a few in house lawyers took packages rather than move to Tampa. Working for one of the banks in compliance might be an option to get your foot in the door. (Going to legal usually requires a good deal of experience.) If you're interested, I can ask around Mr. Nice. Though now that I think about it a lower paying government job still might be nicer.

I mean I don't live in Tampa but for the right job I'm amenable to moving. I have a BS in economics if that helps at all :lol:

If there are any entry level spots I'm down to look. I'll be admitted to the bar in September.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Nice! posted:

Doorlaw? Also I don't even know where to find doc review gigs around here.

Whatever comes through the door.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CaptainScraps posted:

Whatever comes through the door.

That's what I thought. That's what I do now at the pro-bono veteran's clinic but I'm still just mostly doing intake until I get licensed.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Slyfrog it's only because I don't live there anymore.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Slyfrog it's only because I don't live there anymore.

Oh, okay. That's okay then. Big hugs. :glomp:

Mr. Nice! posted:

I pay $660/mo in rent for a 2/1 house on a 1/4 acre lot. I can pay my rent and living bills almost entirely out of my VA compensation pay. People raise families on $47k down here.

Okay. So it doesn't seem as dour a picture as I first thought. I'm glad you're not stuck with ridiculous expenses on top of a market with depressed wages.

I feel badly for people who are stuck like that, like school teachers and similar positions in San Francisco. We have a particularly wealthy suburb here that has problems getting things like cops and firemen, because they're required to live in the city, but literally cannot afford to on cop/firemen salaries.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 19, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah it sucks but it’s life. I’m not going to be living off catfood, but loving :lol: at all of my family thinking i’m going to be rich because i’m a lawyer now.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

SlyFrog posted:

Oh, okay. That's okay then. Big hugs. :glomp:

Okay. So it doesn't seem as dour a picture as I first thought. I'm glad you're not stuck with ridiculous expenses on top of a market with depressed wages.

I feel badly for people who are stuck like that, like school teachers and similar positions in San Francisco. We have a particularly wealthy suburb here that has problems getting things like cops and firemen, because they're required to live in the city, but literally cannot afford to on cop/firemen salaries.

There's a certain country in Eastern Europe that's exactly like this

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Slaan posted:

CIS does naturalization and status changes. ICE does deportations and refugee/asylum service does those applications. There's a fairly good chance the USCIS attorney was there in good faith

Can confirm - if it was a USCIS email address you haven't gotten anyone deported, immigration court trial attorneys (deportation prosecutors) are a separate division of DHS entirely. Potentially an affirmative application denied, but then they'd still be able to appeal and apply for CanB.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Got my first official rejection wooo

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Even if I wind up eating crow, I have to ask this board for career advice.

Currently, I work as a public defender through a 2 year fellowship. The purpose of the fellowship is to hire 2 graduating 3Ls per year and get them trained and in the system, with the expectation that they transition to a full-time position as it opens up (necessary because the PD can't just hold a spot for a year after OCIs or something).

A few months ago I interviewed for a County Attorney (prosecutor) position in the city I want to live. I thought things went really well but they offered the job to someone who had been working as a county attorney in another county for a few years. No big deal I thought, good experience. They told me at the time that in a few months they'd have another opening because an assistant CA was starting a judgeship and told me to apply and that I'd automatically move to the "2nd round." So I did.

Fast-forward to now, I've been offered a job as a full-time PD in another city. Pay would stay the same, but I'd have to move and the city is a dump, and I'd be commuting 40 minutes each way (I already commute about 50 minutes per day so this isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, just a pain in the rear end). I'll get a pay bump in about 18 months after I start up to $65/66,000. Today I called the County Attorney to see where they were at. She told me that they had planned to make a decision in maybe a few weeks. BUT, she said that the attorneys in the office really liked me, and I would have been the one they hired if not for that other guy (so I was the 2nd choice). She said that while she couldn't guarantee me anything obviously, she said that I was already the top candidate, though they still wanted to talk to some of the new people who applied. The prosecutor job starts at $65,000, with the same basic benefits. To be frank, I've always thought I'd rather be a prosecutor rather than PD, though I really like what I do.

I don't know what to do. The PD in the state capitol expects an answer by tomorrow. Part of me thinks I should accept the PD job, with the possibility I'll then back out if I get the prosecutor hire. Problem with this is that I basically burn the bridge on the PD system in this state, and don't know if/when I'll ever get an interview, at least with the current crop of supervisors. I COULD ask for an extension on the decision time, but then I'd basically be giving the impression that I'm not gung-ho super PD and I'm actively interviewing with "the other side," even if the truth is that I'd like to do either job, just rather be a prosecutor. I COULD turn down the PD job and wait on the County Attorney, since I have about 15 months on my fellowship, but then I think I've done the damage on future interviews anyway and I still might not get the CA job.

Standing alone, I'd obviously take the County Attorney job. The pay is more out the gate. The city is one I want to live in. The job is the one I want. And I don't need to move out the gate.

Please help me think through the issue lawyer goons. I can't really talk to people in my office for obvious reasons and I'm a new lawyer so I don't know what's kosher (started in September). If it makes a difference, I worked for 4 years before law school for a company that sold it's employees out and closed a bunch of positions around the time I was leaving and have worked for massive corps before then, so I don't really buy into employee loyalty, but I know it's not that simple, especially in this small a market (Iowa public/government criminal litigation).

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Pook Good Mook posted:

Even if I wind up eating crow, I have to ask this board for career advice.

Currently, I work as a public defender through a 2 year fellowship. The purpose of the fellowship is to hire 2 graduating 3Ls per year and get them trained and in the system, with the expectation that they transition to a full-time position as it opens up (necessary because the PD can't just hold a spot for a year after OCIs or something).

A few months ago I interviewed for a County Attorney (prosecutor) position in the city I want to live. I thought things went really well but they offered the job to someone who had been working as a county attorney in another county for a few years. No big deal I thought, good experience. They told me at the time that in a few months they'd have another opening because an assistant CA was starting a judgeship and told me to apply and that I'd automatically move to the "2nd round." So I did.

Fast-forward to now, I've been offered a job as a full-time PD in another city. Pay would stay the same, but I'd have to move and the city is a dump, and I'd be commuting 40 minutes each way (I already commute about 50 minutes per day so this isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, just a pain in the rear end). I'll get a pay bump in about 18 months after I start up to $65/66,000. Today I called the County Attorney to see where they were at. She told me that they had planned to make a decision in maybe a few weeks. BUT, she said that the attorneys in the office really liked me, and I would have been the one they hired if not for that other guy (so I was the 2nd choice). She said that while she couldn't guarantee me anything obviously, she said that I was already the top candidate, though they still wanted to talk to some of the new people who applied. The prosecutor job starts at $65,000, with the same basic benefits. To be frank, I've always thought I'd rather be a prosecutor rather than PD, though I really like what I do.

I don't know what to do. The PD in the state capitol expects an answer by tomorrow. Part of me thinks I should accept the PD job, with the possibility I'll then back out if I get the prosecutor hire. Problem with this is that I basically burn the bridge on the PD system in this state, and don't know if/when I'll ever get an interview, at least with the current crop of supervisors. I COULD ask for an extension on the decision time, but then I'd basically be giving the impression that I'm not gung-ho super PD and I'm actively interviewing with "the other side," even if the truth is that I'd like to do either job, just rather be a prosecutor. I COULD turn down the PD job and wait on the County Attorney, since I have about 15 months on my fellowship, but then I think I've done the damage on future interviews anyway and I still might not get the CA job.

Standing alone, I'd obviously take the County Attorney job. The pay is more out the gate. The city is one I want to live in. The job is the one I want. And I don't need to move out the gate.

Please help me think through the issue lawyer goons. I can't really talk to people in my office for obvious reasons and I'm a new lawyer so I don't know what's kosher (started in September). If it makes a difference, I worked for 4 years before law school for a company that sold it's employees out and closed a bunch of positions around the time I was leaving and have worked for massive corps before then, so I don't really buy into employee loyalty, but I know it's not that simple, especially in this small a market (Iowa public/government criminal litigation).

Where in Iowa are you that Des Moines is a dump? I think I know and I'm super jealous you get to be in the best city in the state by far.

Unless you mean Crapids in which case l o loving l

You should definitely ask them for an extension, if they don't give it then an offer is worth a thousand lookers on

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Prosecutors are nazis so go for the PD job imho

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I would go for the job in the place you want to be. Also the most money. Be a mercenary. If you don’t want to be a PD, don’t take another PD job. Definitely don’t pick up and move for a PD job.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
It takes about 15 years to make $65k in my former office.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The answer from an outside perspective is obvious. You stick with your current job and wait for the CA to make a decision.

The only benefits to the other pd job are a slightly shorter commute and more pay in a year, plus it not evaporating in 15.months. I'm having trouble understanding why you would take this other PD job. You can turn it down and apply again in 14 months when your fellowship is ending. Or look for other work then.

You want the CA job, wait to see what happens.

Of course, prosecutors are cops and ACAB.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Being a prosecutor is the tits. Go for the county attorney job.

If it was a bird in the hand and two in the bush then you'd have a tougher time deciding. But this is a crappy sick bird you are holding and nine prize gamecocks in the bush.

Can you accept the PD job and tell them you need two weeks notice but start that two weeks next Monday, giving you three weeks to hear back from the county attorney and then reneg your acceptance to the PD job? That's a dick move but you are a lawyer and should get used to that.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Nevermind what I said I forgot you still have a gig.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
Agree with HDD. Decline the PD job and wait to hear on the CA job and worst case you have another 15 months to find something as good as the PD job.

Strategically speaking, if you tactfully decline the PD job for a reason unrelated to the job couldn't you get another offer at some point in the next 15 months? Location would seem to be the easiest excuse for a decline with the added benefit of avoiding future offers in some crappy city. Depending on how detailed or personal you want to get you could just leave it as "this isn't the right location for me right now, thanks" to "I need to be closer to family" or whatever else works in your situation. It's a bit easier if there's a hint of truth to it but I don't think people go prying too much if it sounds legit.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BigHead posted:

Being a prosecutor is the tits. Go for the county attorney job.

If it was a bird in the hand and two in the bush then you'd have a tougher time deciding. But this is a crappy sick bird you are holding and nine prize gamecocks in the bush.

Can you accept the PD job and tell them you need two weeks notice but start that two weeks next Monday, giving you three weeks to hear back from the county attorney and then reneg your acceptance to the PD job? That's a dick move but you are a lawyer and should get used to that.
We
A sick dove in the hand and nine vultures in the bush, but yeah. Hold out for the CA job, and as fuzzy pointed out, you've got a geographical excuse.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Prosecutors are nazis so go for the PD job imho

Not empty quoting.

A bird in the hand also. Also, is your PD system statewide? If so, how hard is it to move between cities after a bit?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Lot to get to, I'll try to and respond to all of it.

The PD job I have now is a full position, aside from the fact that it's "temporary." If I took the "new" PD job it's treated as a transfer, keep my pay rate, my retirement carries, everything. The only differences are that it's full-time/long-term and that I can start to accrue time for a (basically) automatic pay and title bump that's 18 months after starting the new full-time job.

Basically the issue is that I really really like my job, and the new PD job is in the corner of the state I want to stay in, but not the exact city, whereas the CA job is the exact place I want to be. I don't say this to make it a one-up competition, but my stress comes from a place of recent law school graduation. I really really struggled to find a criminal litigation job, really any job. Despite being top 15% I wasn't getting clerkship offers, I took a 2L summer at a firm I thought would be a fit and it wasn't (and they didn't offer to boot), and I didn't have my current job until March/April of my 3L spring. Again, I'm doing nearly exactly what I want to do, it's just the location. If I turn down the long-term PD job, I worry the central office won't think I'm serious about staying in the PD, while at the same time I worry that the CA will end up hiring someone else if I wait, because that's of course the way my luck would turn.

Honestly my ideal at this point is to accept the new PD job and the CA job decide to hire me in the next week or two. Since I won't be expected until early July at the new job, if I back out early they'll have a lot of time to cover me and while I'll annoy people, it won't be so late that I poison the well. I'm not sure I can feasibly ask for more time however, I think I have to take the permanent job tomorrow and hope the CA makes her mind up soon.

For what it's worth, the PD system in Iowa is REALLY hard to break into because they're woefully understaffed but the benefits and pay are comparably better than other states' PDs and most in-Iowa firms. Outside of a few dozen private attorneys, you won't make more money doing criminal work in the state. If I wasn't getting hired through my program, I would expect years or garbage pay and work until I could have otherwise broken in.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 22, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
You should move to California, but my experience tells me to take what is offered.

I've had government jobs where I got strung along a bit because of finances, but in that case, the actual public defender of a very large county called me personally to explain what was up. I did get that job, but it took months.
I've had half offers from people who liked me, but those always fell apart. They were telling me the exact same thing. Thankfully, I didn't give up any solid offers to take the job.

I guess the question is: how much do you like PD work. I know you say you prefer prosecuting, and if that is a strong preference, please don't become a PD, but if it is a weak preference, take the bird in the hand.

If they can't give you a promise of a job, don't reject a promised job. Unless you don't want to be a PD.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean I don't live in Tampa but for the right job I'm amenable to moving. I have a BS in economics if that helps at all :lol:

If there are any entry level spots I'm down to look. I'll be admitted to the bar in September.
I forgot you were also a grapple dude Mr. Nice. We have a good group of lawyer grapple dudes here in NYC and I'll try to see if we have any Florida contacts too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Yuns posted:

I forgot you were also a grapple dude Mr. Nice. We have a good group of lawyer grapple dudes here in NYC and I'll try to see if we have any Florida contacts too.

nice! Thanks. My vocrehab people have set me up with a veteran employment service so we'll see what they can pop out as well. I have an interview friday with another state agency, so who knows.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
What is our island law representation itt? Just guam? Any samoa/fiji?

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.
Can American lawyers search the NCIC? I have a client with a prior record in Canada, but since his record suspension there is zero documentation of it in Canada. He was turned away at the border like 30 years ago so he is trying to get a travel waiver, but I can't get a copy of his record to fulfill the application because as far as any authority here is concerned he doesn't have a record.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Newfie posted:

Can American lawyers search the NCIC? I have a client with a prior record in Canada, but since his record suspension there is zero documentation of it in Canada. He was turned away at the border like 30 years ago so he is trying to get a travel waiver, but I can't get a copy of his record to fulfill the application because as far as any authority here is concerned he doesn't have a record.

Bighead can, but you'll have to find him a new job.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

joat mon posted:

Bighead can, but you'll have to find him a new job.

drat. It is odd because the Canadian equivalents are a breeze to search but I am having zero luck on this. May have to give up on this one...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Newfie posted:

drat. It is odd because the Canadian equivalents are a breeze to search but I am having zero luck on this. May have to give up on this one...

Have him try this

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Taking my first vacation in 7 years. Feel guilty about it.

I got a new laptop so I can do some work in Hawaii.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Throw it into the volcano.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Taking my first vacation in 7 years. Feel guilty about it.

I got a new laptop so I can do some work in Hawaii.

I'm moving to Collin county and becoming Republican.

gently caress Democratic politics.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 23, 2018

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

The Guardian posted:

'Plainly unconstitutional': New Orleans jail records inmates' calls to lawyers

Prosecutors wanted to convict Howard on paraphernalia charges but there was no proof the needle was intended to be used for anything illicit. So they started listening to phone calls between Howard and his then public defender, Thomas Frampton. They found one throwaway but interesting line.

Frampton asked Howard about his whereabouts in the jail system and Howard replied: “After detox or whatever … they just moved me to a different building.”

With the word “detox” presented as context, and despite Frampton’s pleas to the judge to not admit evidence he thought should have been considered a privileged conversation between client and attorney, the prosecution got a conviction.

“The attorney-client phone call ended up being the centerpiece of their case against my client,” Frampton said. “Without the phone, they had no other evidence to meet their burden of proving that the needle in his pocket qualified as ‘paraphernalia’ under Louisiana law.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/22/new-orleans-prison-phone-calls-attorney-client-privilege

Louisiana is truly a third world country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's definitely a different feeling to interview over and over again and get rejected every time. Prior to law school, I've gotten every job or special program I've ever applied for with only one exception. This is miserable.