Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Bicycle Thieves is like one of the saddest things ever.

yeah it owns

i forgot but i also have this bad boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

Someone needs to sell a cool racer miku print so I can experience her without buying a nendo
buy that nendo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

haveblue posted:

I've always understood "action RPG" to mean an RPG that is more skill-based and more oriented around direct character control than other RPGs which are more about gear and stats. In one of those you can punch above your weight with sufficient practice and luck, in the other the fights are deliberately rigged to be unwinnable if you don't have the prereqs yet. Like how sl1 runs of Dark Souls are now pretty common but there are a lot of games in which failing to level will eventually roadblock you because you literally cannot damage the enemies.

loot rpgs like diablo should be called like LRPGs or something, so as not to confuse them with good action rpgs

univbee posted:

Crystalis on NES was a great game but had the horrible issue of making it really easy to wind up facing a boss you couldn't damage at all due to not being sufficiently leveled and having to die. Eventually the best strategy about halfway through the game is to just grind out to max level (which you need to beat the game anyway, the last two bosses require it) in like 20 minutes before continuing onwards.

Crystalis had the problem of the player-vs-enemy damage formula being attack - defense, <1 = no damage. This was paired with the fact that the four swords had different individual attack values--and of course, the Sword of Wind is the weakest and the Sword of Thunder gives the most +atk. The issue is compounded even further when bosses themselves usually only have one vulnerability and are completely immune to all other elements, so like General Kelbesque who is immune to everything except the Sword of Wind requires even more levels to do any damage at all.

Bosses themselves actually have extremely low HP iirc, and they're primarily a function of defense vs attack reducing your damage to like 1-2, which is why every boss that doesn't require the Power Ring dies almost instantly when you have it equipped--you should be doing 1 damage, but it doubles your base attack stat, so you're doing like 25 per hit instead :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 22, 2018

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Lookit that 10th anniversary staff with the pistons.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I need someone to make a decision for me

I’m maybe halfway through Pillars of Eternity 1 but a friend has been talking up 2 so much that I want to drop the first and play the second, maybe just read a synopsis of what happens in the first game

Should I???? :(

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

DisDisDis posted:

more :clap: games :clap: about :clap: clothes :clap:

More games about dating clothes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

I’m maybe halfway through Pillars of Eternity 1 but a friend has been talking up 2 so much that I want to drop the first and play the second, maybe just read a synopsis of what happens in the first game

Keep playing, PoE 1 gets better as it goes along, especially White March.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

From what I've heard, PoE is a direct continuation of 1 and lets you transfer stuff from 1 over to 2 or something like that.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Have you done White March yet? Because that's the best PoE1 has to offer and the third act of the main game is pretty meh compared to act 2 and both White Marches.

I'd say play White March 1+2, then just beeline the main story without level scaling(unless you want to stop and kidnap a child). The very end of the game is pretty cool and PoE2 leans heavy on interactions with the gods so I think it'd be a nice bit of info to experience yourself and would let you port your character.

Also PoE2 has an ETA for a balance patch around June, if you're the type that enjoys the combat. Because right now it's pretty easy.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thanks for the replies! I’ll stick with 1

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I do wish I had a bigger desk so I would have space to place all the old stuff I used as decorations when I was younger.

None of them are valuable mind you, they just have sentimental value. My most prized possession is a large whelk shell that is super rough and weathered. Its not pretty but its gotta be really old just based on how beat up it is. I found it on the beach when i was little and have hung on to it ever since. I like to hold it and think about the ocean.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

just as long as you don't attack it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DisDisDis posted:

more :clap: games :clap: about :clap: clothes :clap:

I played a terrible visual novel off of itch.io way longer than i should have because it promise me i get to be a cool lady tailor with a boutique shop and design my own clothes

instead it was about playing a matching game where you tried to pick the same colors and patterns the costumer wanted and then occasionally you talked to a boring dude
and designing clothes was lame

sigh

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 22, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

I live in Seattle so this doesn't exist. Being homeless in this city is waiting around for the police to beat you because a rich tech executive was uncomfortable by your existence.

there are for sure houses that are condemned in seattle, I used to serve papers for the city of seattle on homes that had so many complaints/fines because they were literally falling apart.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

That's net worth. Savings is just liquid cash in a bank account where you earn basically no interest because banks are money hungry rear end entities who want you to keep your $$ in their coffers so they can invest it and only charge you fees because they suck.

Please support your local credit unions, they invest your money locally and aren't terrible poo poo holes that charge you to move your own money.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Diablo rpgs are real time Angband likes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

al-azad posted:

Please support your local credit unions, they invest your money locally and aren't terrible poo poo holes that charge you to move your own money.

:yeah:

Also anecdotally staff at Credit Unions tend to be much nicer than staff at corporate Banks.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I said come in! posted:

Capitalism is the dark souls of living on this retched planet.

lol

Regarding room decoration, I got a bunch of professional prints of maps from games I like if the game didn’t have a map included already, and I bought fancy frames for them and they are set all around my game room like they are exotic places I have been to, (which they are). I have the Hyrule map from LoZ2, the Master Quest map from the original, Onett from Earthbound, Vice City, Super Mario World, Red Dead Redemption, and Los Santos from GTAV. I want to put Link’s Awakening up and I found this person who makes shadow boxes of game scenes on Etsy that has the Light and Dark Worlds from Link To The Past that I am hoping to get soon. I do not recommend this as living room decoration, or if you are hoping to find a significant other.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i would get a little print of this i guess

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

oddium posted:

i would get a little print of this i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMgmApItNIo

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the first half of this is so good aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Oj0iqra9Y

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I got those cool Mario and Link club nintendo posters years ago and got them framed and they're cool but I've moved a bunch in the last few years and they ended up in a box and will stay in the box until I have a house with more than one bedroom (so probably never).

I also got a print of the Japanese movie poster for Back to the Future and it also rules but isn't really something I'd put up in a non-rumpus room.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want an archival print of this

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I hedged by putting up art that doubles as references to other cultural works.

I don't think I'd ever be into figurines or stuff like that, mainly because of how much space they take up

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I know Sony wait a while before they allow reviews for their stuff to go out but Detroit is out on Friday and there's still no reviews, so that' definitely not a great sign. Like, for context, I think they started letting reviews of GoW to go up two weeks prior to release to build hype.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

I know Sony wait a while before they allow reviews for their stuff to go out but Detroit is out on Friday and there's still no reviews, so that' definitely not a great sign. Like, for context, I think they started letting reviews of GoW to go up two weeks prior to release to build hype.

They had a demo which is a big red flag

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

al-azad posted:

And they are unlikely to give you interest on your savings, as well. They are basically turning into smaller local banks. Sucks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If you manage to accumulate more than a medium-term emergency cushion and aren't completely opposed to capitalism you should really put most of that money into an investment account, if the interest rate on a savings account actually generates a significant amount you really have too much in there

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waltzing Along posted:

And they are unlikely to give you interest on your savings, as well. They are basically turning into smaller local banks. Sucks.

i dunno what your local credit unions are doing but mine offers interest rates ten times higher than the pathetic 0.2% banks like to offer

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember the last time I had more than $2000 in my account and over $1500 is pretty rare as well. I also have student loans but I ignored them for so long that they just stopped trying and I think my wages might be garnished but I can't be assed to look into it because my depression certainly would rather ignore it and do nothing forever rather than deal with it or pretty much anything.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I had some reheated poutine for dinner so you’re probably better off than me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

I had some reheated poutine for dinner so you’re probably better off than me

Hopefully not microwave

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

*collar tug*

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fries reheat much crispier in the oven

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The White Dragon posted:

i dunno what your local credit unions are doing but mine offers interest rates ten times higher than the pathetic 0.2% banks like to offer

???

Top rates for banks right now is 1.55-1.60% depending on how much you have deposited. The credit union where I do the majority of my banking offers 0.15%-0.30% with the top rate of .3 only applying if you have over 100k in the account. I wish my CU offered good savings account rates, but my god they do not.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Fries reheat much crispier in the oven

With something like poutine, like with Nachos, it's kind of a losing battle not matter how you reheat it. The over is probably the best but every way has a downside.

I'm probably gonna have week old lo mein mixed with week old spicy hunan beef for dinner. I reheat in the pan which honestly makes it better than it was originally.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

My student loan interest rates went from like 2% on the first year I think to about 7%. See if you can guess what might have happened around then. Fortunately the principal was not that high so I was able to pay them off quickly once I could no longer defer.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Like the last time I looked into paying off my student loans, the amount I could afford to pay a month would not be enough to outpace the interest and that's what just sort of led to me ignoring them, which I know is a terrible idea but once again I find it hard to work up the energy to do anything about it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Propaganda Hour posted:

???

Top rates for banks right now is 1.55-1.60% depending on how much you have deposited. The credit union where I do the majority of my banking offers 0.15%-0.30% with the top rate of .3 only applying if you have over 100k in the account. I wish my CU offered good savings account rates, but my god they do not.

maybe it's a regional thing. the banks on this island offer paltry rates but act like 0.2% is huge, and then the only talking up my credit union does of its 2% interest rate is on a dusty poster in their main branch, and on your statement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One year of undergrad in Canada (at least my province) is around 2,000 US. You guys hosed up

• Locked thread