Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I got into 40K when I was 10 because I had just watched Alien and I thought tyranids were rad, but then Tau came out that same month and anime is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I got into 40k mainly because seeing some Warhammer Fantasy figures in an Inquest magazine in middle school showed me there was a cool game where scary elves fight eviler Vikings. Got into 40k because that is what people mostly played at the local game store.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I first got into GW games with the LotR game in 2001-ish. I coasted over to 40k because the codexes looked really cool and one of the guys at the FLGS let me play a couple of games with his Blood Angels vs some Orks.

4th edition is when I really got into it, but I was still a dirt poor kid so I didn’t really have an army bigger than around 500pts until a decade later in 2014 when I got back into the hobby as an adult because 30k looked super rad.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

JBP posted:

I have six and one half thousand points of Emperor's Children.

post em imo

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
In a hero quest to warhammer convert. Starting painting heroquest mans with my dad when I was 12, and 40k was what they played at the local game store. Picked up a copy of the brand new 2nd ed chaos codex and fell in love.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My first actual hands-on experience eas Fire Warrior. Vast oceans of brown.

(I didn't have a lot of PS2 games, borrowed it from a cousin and had fun playing deathmatch with my sister)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

TheChirurgeon posted:

In a hero quest to warhammer convert. Starting painting heroquest mans with my dad when I was 12, and 40k was what they played at the local game store. Picked up a copy of the brand new 2nd ed chaos codex and fell in love.

I was an only child. Before 40k I played heroquest by myself and forged my own narrative

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I got into the game because of the first GBS thread way back in the day, got out of the hobby around 6th edition, and got back in it now because 8th and AoS are good

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 22, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

8th and AoS are good

:chanpop:

and

:same:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Kids books??? In my warhammer?

:qq: :qq: :qq: :qq:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I started playing hams at around 12 because I was unlucky enough to have a couple British friends who told us all about it. I’m 30 now, so life has gone great.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Got into 40k 2nd ed somewhere in the mid to late 90's when I was a teenager, then into WHFB and the rest of GW's game lines.

Collected Marines, Chaos, Nids, and small Guard and Eldar forces. For fantasy had Skaven, Wood Elves, and Chaos. Also had Gorkamorka gangs even though no one played it where I was at.

Gradually I played less and less, and I gave my armies away to a friend to settle a debt.

Fast forward to last year when I started seeing Duncan's painting videos pop up in my YouTube feed. His Magnus video was good enough to give me the bug to paint again. That plus a visit home during Thanksgiving where my mother told me to to something with the boxes of stuff I'd left there, so I end up taking back my old bitz boxes. That pretty much sealed the deal.

Started collecting again in December. I now have close to 7000 points of Tzeentch forces both painted and backlogged including:

Lost Sons CSM built mostly from FW/HH 1k sons resin and plastic kits with a lots of conversions. (my main army/project, based off my old CSM army)

Thousand Sons proper: Rubrics, Scarab Occult Terminators, Exalted Sorcerers, Ahriman, Magnus. (my "stock kits and famous characters" army, to be used in auxiliary with the Lost Sons)

Daemons: So far I've got 50 Horrors, pink blue and brimstone. I plan on building this force up to the point where this could also be my entry into AoS if I ever want to.

Eventually I plan on building Tzeentch traitor guard and traitor Knights after I get my other forces to snuff.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Hixson posted:

Kids books??? In my warhammer?

:qq: :qq: :qq: :qq:

40k is very cool and mature and definitely not for kids. GW disrespecting veterans once again

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

40k is very cool and mature and definitely not for kids. GW disrespecting veterans once again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoogkKSFES0
:911:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Corrode posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXUDlcr0qI

I was born into this dumb hobby, my dad's been wargaming since the 70s. I got into 40k when I went to Historicon and get a 3rd ed 40k starter box for $20 at the flea market, and I had a 7 hour car ride back home where I could pore over the rulebook. I was probably 13.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

I heard the leadership has been replaced by SJWs, which explains why they hate 30k so much (giant white man piles)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm very saddened how one of my 30+yo friends is obsessed with MtG SJW conspiracy.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

BULBASAUR posted:

I heard the leadership has been replaced by SJWs, which explains why they hate 30k so much (giant white man piles)

All corporations are now run by SJWs, which is why they're trying to murder your childhood by having pictures of black people in their comics and showing women who are neither sexy nor raped to death

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
How I long for the halcyon days of tits on necrons instead of this libtard “books” bullshit.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

I'm very saddened how one of my 30+yo friends is obsessed with MtG SJW conspiracy.

:sever:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
please link to MTG sjw posts

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

please link to MTG sjw posts

Tldr a guy on twitter named mtgheadquarters decided the best way to build an audience was to do magic-themed screechy right wing YouTube vids and harassed a prominent cosplayer out of the community, then copped a lifetime DCI ban, and is now on a crusade to prove that wizards of the coast is full of pedophiles.

So magic has its own pizzagate now, which is cool.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Nerds are the worst

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Corrode posted:

Nerds are the worst

:agreed:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tallkidwithglasses posted:

magic-themed screechy right wing YouTube vids
Nerds are th

Corrode posted:

Nerds are the worst
:same:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Bligh was the dam holding back the madness of SJWs and femnoids

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I triggered some ham who was mid argument with the shop guy (who is really nice) yesterday by saying 40k wasn't a serious setting and that the kids books were good. I bought the Triumvirate of Ynnead (25% off hell yeah) and pointed out the cute purple cat that I was excited to paint. He looked like he was going to explode.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

That cat is not that cute iirc :(

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Its adorbs

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JcDent posted:

Plz ban

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I prefer tabbies to lynxes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

JcDent posted:

What the gently caress

JcDent
May 13, 2013

By the by, I figured put what Warhammer Adventures are for: parents.

Children don't necessarily need child characters to get into it. They'll dress up as Superman, Batman, Optimus Prima a lot sooner than any of their child sidekicks. They also love the grim and bloody stuff; that's what the excellent Horrible Histories books are based on.

No, the books are to confuse chickenshit parents who might not buy the regular hams books because they look violent and scary. But put a cutesy, children-ish illustrations on top and they'll think it's safe.

Here's the modified 40K introduction blurb from Adventures:

hams adbentoors posted:

Life in the 41st Millennium is hard. Ruled by the Emperor of Mankind from his Golden Throne on Terra, humans have spread across the galaxy, inhabiting millions of planets. They have achieved so much, from space travel to robotics, and yet billions live in fear. The universe seems a dangerous place, teeming with alien horrors and dark powers. But it is also a place bristling with adventure and wonder, where battles are won and heroes are forged.

It's sounds a lot better to your helicopter mom than LAUGHTER OF THIRSTY GODS and stuff.

It's a stealthy way to infiltrate households!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JcDent posted:

By the by, I figured put what Warhammer Adventures are for: parents.

Children don't necessarily need child characters to get into it. They'll dress up as Superman, Batman, Optimus Prima a lot sooner than any of their child sidekicks. They also love the grim and bloody stuff; that's what the excellent Horrible Histories books are based on.

No, the books are to confuse chickenshit parents who might not buy the regular hams books because they look violent and scary. But put a cutesy, children-ish illustrations on top and they'll think it's safe.

Here's the modified 40K introduction blurb from Adventures:

It's sounds a lot better to your helicopter mom than LAUGHTER OF THIRSTY GODS and stuff.

It's a stealthy way to infiltrate households!

You may be onto something there...

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Built a house for my nicer painted mans last night.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Nice Chaos army dude

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Corrode posted:

Nice Chaos army dude

I’ll have you know that all of my mans are Definitely Very Loyal and I never play on the traitor side during store/regional events.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I’ll have you know that all of my mans are Definitely Very Loyal and I never play on the traitor side during store/regional events.

The Warmaster’s Legions whipped your rear end so bad that you had to change sides.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Built a house for my nicer painted mans last night.

Finally, a closet to come out of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
hams adbentoors posted:
Life in the 41st Millennium is hard. Ruled by the Emperor of Mankind from his Golden Throne on Terra, humans have spread across the galaxy, inhabiting millions of planets. They have achieved so much, from space travel to robotics, and yet billions live in fear. The universe seems a dangerous place, teeming with alien horrors and dark powers. But it is also a place bristling with adventure and wonder, where battles are won and heroes are forged.

Would not mind doing some gaming in that version of the universe.

I am old, and Rogue Trader came out the year I turned 11. I picked up WHFB 4th edition and 40k 2nd when I got to college.