Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I really like this game but also gently caress this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

John Murdoch posted:

According to the leaks, this week requires 1 trap elimination, which sounds like some real bullshit considering they just nerfed trap damage.

You also need to hit the center of a storm circle 3 times in one match, which sounds like it's also going to be hell.

Trap should be easy in duo or squads. Down a guy and build a box around him with a trap.

That second one sounds very lame and confusing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
You can double pump grenade launchers

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

this new LTM sounds fun but also extremely brutal

quote:

Limited Time Mode: Close Encounters
Close quarters combat with Shotguns & Jetpacks!
-The only guns in this mode are the various types of Shotguns.
-Jetpacks & Heavy Shotguns can be found in Chests & Supply Drops.
-Other Shotgun types are spawned as Floor Loot.
-The storm moves in more quickly than normal mid to late game.
-Typical match length is about 15 minutes.
-Stats are enabled for this mode.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

monkeu posted:

Hahahahah have fun with that mantra. This is a game about surviving and outliving your opponents. If I find you and you don't have a weapon but I do I'm going to guarantee that I outlive you every single time

Unless they run around a corner get a shotgun and one shot you after you nail them for 80 something up.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

oh dear sweet baby jesus this is gonna get silly

https://twitter.com/rocats0/status/998907793825550337

AAB fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 22, 2018

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
I had been avoiding trying out the Builder Pro control scheme because I fear change, but I have to say the learning curve was about 10 minutes of remembering the button layout and now I'd never go back. It has greatly improved my fort building times and when I have to build up & around buildings transitioning from ramps to floors and back is very fluid. Highly recommend anyone who hasn't tried it gives it a shot, I'm guessing mouse & kb are still much better but for a console it's the next best thing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

AAB posted:

This does not sound fun.

Edit: lmao at that jetpack video. Can't wait to get owned in new and exciting ways.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 22, 2018

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

AAB posted:

When do we get Jetpacks and Explosives mode? Rocket launchers and Grenade Launchers only.

--------------------------

On the STW side of things, Perk rerolls have given this a breath of new life (even if grinding the materials is a tiny bit more of a slog than it needs to be - but then this is nothing new for Fortnite)
If any of you have Legendary sniper rifles with the 'headshot eliminations cause an explosion' passive, you've officially entered the own zone. I managed to land a Zapotron with the passive and it is the most satisfying weapon ever.
Currently I am trying to figure out how the game calculates the explosion damage - the tooltip says it is based on weapon damage, but feedback suggests it hinges on Tech (ability power). In any case it annihilates elemental husks in the AOE so it's 'good enough'.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 22, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I would have made jetpacks overheat, instead of lose impulse, and if you overheat the jetpack, it gets a probability to explode in a huge fireball.

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 22, 2018

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Maybe I can't tell because im watching on my phone but I feel like the jetpack needs to be a lot louder, like hop rocks

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
When I drop and see a bunch of other dudes, I try my best to grab a gun off the roof of a house. If all else fails I just bail and run off.

That's my dumb fortnite advise.

Thank you and good day. :tipshat:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

DarkDobe posted:

On the STW side of things, Perk rerolls have given this a breath of new life (even if grinding the materials is a tiny bit more of a slog than it needs to be - but then this is nothing new for Fortnite)
If any of you have Legendary sniper rifles with the 'headshot eliminations cause an explosion' passive, you've officially entered the own zone. I managed to land a Zapotron with the passive and it is the most satisfying weapon ever.
Currently I am trying to figure out how the game calculates the explosion damage - the tooltip says it is based on weapon damage, but feedback suggests it hinges on Tech (ability power). In any case it annihilates elemental husks in the AOE so it's 'good enough'.

I'm finding the perk system to be a bit vapid, personally. Every gun now has a set of perks that make it optimal (either damage + damage or crit rate + crit damage, reload/mag size and element to taste), you just have to put the time in to get it there. The only variable is the immutable special bonus, which of course can still make or break a gun, such as the Zap Zapp I have that needs 5 consecutive headshots to trigger.

Is it better than 9/10 guns being worthless fodder out of the box? Yeah, but that has more to do with RNG systems being actual garbage than anything inherently great about this system.

E: and there's still no reasonable way to try a gun out before dumping tens of thousands of schematic exp into it, now further exacerbated by the fact that you'll also need to put some non-refundable perk currency in to really know.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 22, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

A Man and his dog posted:

When I drop and see a bunch of other dudes, I try my best to grab a gun off the roof of a house. If all else fails I just bail and run off.

That's my dumb fortnite advise.

Thank you and good day. :tipshat:

Thats the greatness of it, is not?

You can define your success or failure.

Is very easy to get top 25 in every game with the simple tactic of sleeping inside a bush the entire game.

Shere posted:

I'm finding the perk system to be a bit vapid, personally. Every gun now has a set of perks that make it optimal (either damage + damage or crit rate + crit damage, reload/mag size and element to taste), you just have to put the time in to get it there. The only variable is the immutable special bonus, which of course can still make or break a gun, such as the Zap Zapp I have that needs 5 consecutive headshots to trigger.

Have the same feeling. And I hope it gets improved before we are forced to upgrade our legacy weapons. I have many weapons that are good because stack a lot of critical chance, or good because stack a lot of +damage, that would not be possible with the new system.

I don't have a strong opinion about it, but a clear one.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hold up! They are adding a loving jetpack ???

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Shere posted:

Is it better than 9/10 guns being worthless fodder out of the box? Yeah, but that has more to do with RNG systems being actual garbage than anything inherently great about this system.

E: and there's still no reasonable way to try a gun out before dumping tens of thousands of schematic exp into it, now further exacerbated by the fact that you'll also need to put some non-refundable perk currency in to really know.

Oh there is undoubtedly room for things to improve - but it has been a huge step up from the pure RNG mostly-garbage weapons we had prior.
I definitely agree that the perks are a bit shallow in how they can be allocated, and the resource grind is, well... more grind in a grindy game.

My hope is they continue to develop the ideas and add more interesting perks. Have the option for perks that have an upside and downside like:
More damage/Lower mag cap
or
Bigger explosive radius/slower projectile
Stuff that actually lets you personalize beyond just 'biggest numbers'.
There could flat out be more perks, too.
Increased range (this one would be an actual contender in the utility slot)
Let us reroll the 6th bonus and add more
Element themed perks e.g.:
Nature: chains 30% damage to an enemy within 0.5 tile on hit (chain lightning)
Water: consecutive hits freeze enemies instead of stagger, frozen enemies take X more damage.
Fire: Killed enemies ignite for an AoE DoT effect.
Energy: Shielded enemies overload and explode after X hits.

Point being there's tons more they could do with it. It's solid but barebones right now. I'm just glad they DIDNT go the 'pick one perk and reroll that forever' which every other game does.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 22, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Hold up! They are adding a loving jetpack ???

More than that. They are adding a new type of items. That change how you play and give you some sort of powers.

One of the jetpack, the other is a wheater station that tell you where the next storm circle will center.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tei posted:

Thats the greatness of it, is not?

You can define your success or failure.

Is very easy to get top 25 in every game with the simple tactic of sleeping inside a bush the entire game.

Yeah I think that's a real strength of the game.
Because rounds are so fast and it admits 'winning' is gonna be rare you make your own standards and more often than not you can feel like you made progress.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So I'm digging the 50 vs 50 pvp mode. I really can't stop playing it. I just wish more of the map was used.

The PVE looks really lame in comparison with 4 players max? What the poo poo is that. Have they hinted at making a 100 person co-op PVE mode that just piles of people can work through together?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Philthy posted:

So I'm digging the 50 vs 50 pvp mode. I really can't stop playing it. I just wish more of the map was used.

The PVE looks really lame in comparison with 4 players max? What the poo poo is that. Have they hinted at making a 100 person co-op PVE mode that just piles of people can work through together?

I don't think that would work since the pve mode already chugs sometimes when loading in new players or spawning the waves. Each wave would have to be ridiculously huge to actually challenge 100 people.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 22, 2018

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
It would be like 7 people actually playing and 93 begging for guns, trading, and building random wood walls based on current STW experiences.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Have there been any updates on when STW might go F2P? Or are we still "sometime in 2018?"

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Sometime 2018 still, and there is still mountains of work left before it's ready, let alone what's needed for an F2P tidal wave.

As for more than 4-man co-op PvE, god no. The game is poorly optimized for 4 players already, adding even 4 more will literally break it.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Have there been any updates on when STW might go F2P? Or are we still "sometime in 2018?"

I'd guess we'd hear something about that at E3 since Epic is going in hard on their Fortnite experience there. If not, it's possible that it may not even happen this year

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Seditiar posted:

As for more than 4-man co-op PvE, god no. The game is poorly optimized for 4 players already, adding even 4 more will literally break it.

Yeah, this is what I meant. I think this would be fun to play with some friends, but I can't suggest people spend $$$ on this.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

AAB posted:

oh dear sweet baby jesus this is gonna get silly

https://twitter.com/rocats0/status/998907793825550337
looks strictly better than the normal game

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Looks like Planetside 2 to a T. Loved playing the light assault. You get really good with that jetpack. But there were downsides. Wonder if they'll half your health or disallow armor if you equip one after they realize it's OP as poo poo.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Philthy posted:

Looks like Planetside 2 to a T. Loved playing the light assault. You get really good with that jetpack. But there were downsides. Wonder if they'll half your health or disallow armor if you equip one after they realize it's OP as poo poo.

It takes up a slot, which is a pretty big disadvantage. That’s one less gun/heal/explosive you can utilize in fights. Seems like a good trade off to me.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ehhhh from that video it really doesn't look like much...

I was thinking you were going to be able to go up much higher.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I wish they'd add an off-hand grenade only slot.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

It essentially adds another axis to try and hit someone, which makes a big difference to people who are used to aiming left and right. It's like trying to hit people who jump around times 10. It is frustrating to a lot of people. The person using the jetpack gets used to the apex and knows exactly where to aim to get hits. Adds a lot of advantage and disadvantages.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
being able to jump up an entire z-level is a huge advantage, as the moon rocks have already demonstrated

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

bonds0097 posted:

Can you effectively duo STW and not have to deal with pubbies at all?

Easily. Difficulty in STW missions, unless it says "4 players recommended" on the map (specific mission types), is pegged to a solo player w/ defenders. That's why a standard 4 man group typically crushes a standard mission finale w/ zero risk. If you use the difficulty increase pylons, you can ramp the difficulty back up to 4 player (or higher) for better rewards (notably, more event Gold) and the only serious difference is that it will crank up the effective level of enemies a bit.

If you don't want to deal with pubbies at all, the easiest way to solo basically any mission in STW is to blow past the build limit. (It's not worth a ton of reward anyway.) Make killboxes to deal with the chaff husks, put down defenders to help cull any Husky Husks/Chrome Husks that can simply tank their way through, and extra fortify your base with ablative walls (essentially make a cube consisting of a front/back wall, and either stairs or a half-floor in the middle... = 3x things the husks need to kill to advance one tile). Do this as far out as you feel like you need to, then put wall spikes or dynamos on the outermost walls. When combined with a Constructor who has a BASE that can heal damage (best combo, IMO, is MegaBASE for your hero and PowerBASE as a support) and Sniper defenders to support, you can literally just wait out most missions and only have to move to kill smashers/lobbers.

I use dynamos, wall launchers, and retractable floor spikes pretty liberally throughout a match because they require the least resources to craft and are the most effective/useful traps. It shouldn't even put a dent in your resources to put a wall launcher on every exposed ground-floor surface of an objective. And a simple killbox like this works really well (top = closer to spawns, bottom closer to the ATLAS/Van, .... = entrance/exit)

|.... -----------------------|
|XX___________.....X

Put a wall launcher at the "X" indications, and it will force the husks to keep walking through it. Dynamos along the side walls, dart launcher on the far left side (so it shoots down the length of the corridor), and gas traps on the ceilings. Very little should get through and if it does, it will be so weakened that it would die either to your defenders, or your BASE reflecting damage/electrified floors.

DarkDobe posted:

Perk rerolls are a needed system, but a bad execution. On the plus side, this now means that almost all weapons *can* be good, so bizarro schematics like the Tiny Instrument of Death that were kind of garbage before are now definitely worth keeping at least one of. It also makes it way easier to get a full set of elemental weapons + energy for a weapon type -- I can't even fathom how many legendaries I've recycled prior to this system because of bad rolls. But, on the downside, the current perk system does not do enough to balance the utility of perks, so some are objectively better than others in a slot. So now, it's irrelevant how a schematic rolls, it's only a factor of how expensive it will be to respec it to the one "meta" perkset .

They've strongly hinted recently that the next big feature release is going to be a revamp of Flux to allow for improving rarity of weapons too, as well as Heros. Can't wait for that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Hey, lemme know when they remove the pump shotty and the game's finally playable.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Hey, lemme know when they remove the pump shotty and the game's finally playable.

no one is going to do this for you

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Lol there's nothing wrong with the pump shotty, l2p

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The real utility of the new jetpack seems to be to go wild with building. Since the jetpack can save you from hitting the ground too fast, you can build ridiculosus hig towers or ramps.

I have to say that this jetpack feels bad. Is not very good at all. Hard to control and puny. Something from Planetside or other game is miles better.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Leif. posted:

They've strongly hinted recently that the next big feature release is going to be a revamp of Flux to allow for improving rarity of weapons too, as well as Heros. Can't wait for that.

Oh that's already in. Same flux cost as Heroes. Maybe we can do survivors one day too!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Having a jetpack means you can avoid fall damage as long as you have fuel and didn't overheat. That's pretty huge. Combine it with rocket riding and you get things like this:

https://twitter.com/DrLupoOnTwitch/status/999003021446123521

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How do I get explosive weapon eliminations? I feel like I only get a rocket launcher at all like maybe 1/20 games.