Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I'd be down for burning hp for better accuracy, that rules. I mean they'd only do it for Blood Mages instead of barbarians, but if a martial character had it you could end fights by owning yourself repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Glagha posted:

Allowing someone to make a blatantly worse choice in their character does not become viable at any table. It doesn't matter if the game isn't geared toward optimized characters, making challenges and events in your game well balanced toward characters that are just objectively worse at doing things than other characters is only shifting the burden of actually balancing your drat game on the GM to fix your game for you. It also makes it so that any player who makes even the barest of optimal choices like "putting ability scores in the right place" just... better than other people in the group, which sucks for both the player who now feels like they're upstaging everyone, and the rest of the group, who is being upstaged.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to build a character that is good at doing the things their class does. If I try and build an 8 Intelligence Wizard it's my fault, not the system's.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Reik posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to build a character that is good at doing the things their class does. If I try and build an 8 Intelligence Wizard it's my fault, not the system's.
Why?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

If I pick the class that says "Your spells hit better with a high Intelligence and your spell DCs are better with a higher Intelligence." and my response is "LMAO gently caress it, I'm tanking this stat," I am the problem.

If my wife gives me a grocery list and I ignore that list and just buy a bunch of ramen it is not my wife's fault for not designing a grocery system that prevents me from only buying ramen.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I genuinelly don't understand why it is expected that you will not have at least a long rest in between big fights because it seems like a very long process to go through in order to set this kind of thing up over and over. It's not like when I play Heroquest and can adjust the difficulty on the fly there seems to be a level of planning that I just don't understand.

Reik posted:

If I pick the class that says "Your spells hit better with a high Intelligence and your spell DCs are better with a higher Intelligence." and my response is "LMAO gently caress it, I'm tanking this stat," I am the problem.

Without explanation which do you think a Sorcerer would need to be better at using spells, Charisma or Intelligence? How are you meant to know without some providing at least some guidance.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm fine with RPG system designed for the player should have a measure of system mastery. D&D, the RPG That New People Try, should not be one of them.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

I genuinelly don't understand why it is expected that you will not have at least a long rest in between big fights because it seems like a very long process to go through in order to set this kind of thing up over and over. It's not like when I play Heroquest and can adjust the difficulty on the fly there seems to be a level of planning that I just don't understand.

Without explanation which do you think a Sorcerer would need to be better at using spells, Charisma or Intelligence? How are you meant to know without some providing at least some guidance.

It says in the book under "Sorcerer" that your spellcasting stat is Charisma. I think they even bolded it?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

It says in the book under "Sorcerer" that your spellcasting stat is Charisma. I think they even bolded it?
Does the game ever spell out what an acceptable minimum is for your primary ability score?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

I'm fine with RPG system designed for the player should have a measure of system mastery. D&D, the RPG That New People Try, should not be one of them.

If spells are too confusing for new players in the group, have them play a Fighter.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Reik posted:

So you're arguing that a game system that freely allows you to do something stupid and terrible is better than a system that provides minimal safety rails because ...?

quote:

If my wife gives me a grocery list and I ignore that list and just buy a bunch of ramen it is not my wife's fault for not designing a grocery system that prevents me from only buying ramen.
Fortunately, there are some RPG authors who are better at making rules than you are at making analogies.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

ImpactVector posted:

Does the game ever spell out what an acceptable minimum is for your primary ability score?

If Ability X is my primary ability and the standard array it gives me is 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 I'm going to put my 15 in to my primary ability because it is by definition my primary ability.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Reik posted:

Yes but surely the second most important one would be smarts. I am going to need that and, oh wait, that was a bad choice because int does nothing.

"Why do I have to prepare spells" is another good one. Is there an actual reason why I can't just launch a fireball at people? Why do all of these spells only have a few uses? Why is it that we only get into 2 fights per session because otherwise we get nothing else done?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Reik posted:

If spells are too confusing for new players in the group, have them play a Fighter.

help, i've fallen through a portal to the land of bad gaming advice

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Reik posted:

I mean maybe in the reality of 5e, sure. I can play that way and it works okay.

But if I was designing a system from scratch, it would be dumb. You've got this whole class system right there that's supposed to compartmentalize your features. What freedom are you offering your players exactly to let them hamstring themselves?

The way most people use ability scores is: be really good at (class stuff) to be slightly worse at most other things OR be slightly less good at (class stuff) to be slightly better at some other gimmick or niche. Almost nobody tanks their central ability score on purpose, yet the option is there for some reason.

Ideally you'd have an "all in" option and a "generalist" option but D&D people think this means stifling ~role-playing~ even though almost nobody will ever do anything else in practice.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

So you're arguing that a game system that freely allows you to do something stupid and terrible is better than a system that provides minimal safety rails because ...?

It's only better if the minimal safety rails also take away non-false choices from the player.

quote:

Fortunately, there are some RPG authors who are better at making rules than you are at making analogies.

If you keep railing on me like this I'm going to have to go ignore my grocery list again and stress eat a gallon of ice cream.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Like, it's insane that your smart and charismatic fighter needs to spend vital, limited character resources to be smart and charismatic - and that it will irrevocably make him worse at his job (fighting) because the game rules treat Int and Cha as equally valuable to every character.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Yes but surely the second most important one would be smarts. I am going to need that and, oh wait, that was a bad choice because int does nothing.

"Why do I have to prepare spells" is another good one. Is there an actual reason why I can't just launch a fireball at people? Why do all of these spells only have a few uses? Why is it that we only get into 2 fights per session because otherwise we get nothing else done?

Int makes you better at Arcana and History checks. If those are important to your character or the campaign then it does something. If your campaign is more combat intensive, Con would probably be a better choice, but that's something your DM could help you out with because this is a collaborative game.

Josef bugman posted:

The D&D magic system is definitely more complicated than the usual mana based systems people are used to from video games. I'll tell this to new players, and we'll figure out whether or not they want to stick with a simpler character to start with or we can go over spells more in depth before playing.

Serf posted:

help, i've fallen through a portal to the land of bad gaming advice

If someone will have more fun with a simpler Fighter instead of bungling through the spell system, it's not bad advice to start with a Fighter

dwarf74 posted:

Like, it's insane that your smart and charismatic fighter needs to spend vital, limited character resources to be smart and charismatic - and that it will irrevocably make him worse at his job (fighting) because the game rules treat Int and Cha as equally valuable to every character.

If you're good at fighting and smart and charismatic why even bring the Wizard and the Bard when we could just bring 3 Smart Charismatic Fighters?

Reik fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 22, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

Reik posted:

If someone will have more fun with a simpler Fighter instead of bungling through the spell system, it's not bad advice to start with a Fighter

what if that person was really sold on playing a wizard, because they wanted to be a fantasy elf who shoots magic spells? are you going to hand them a swordguy and tell them to deal with it?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Reik posted:

If you're good at fighting and smart and charismatic why even bring the Wizard and the Bard when we could just bring 3 Smart Charismatic Fighters?
I mean, this is just a shot in the dark, but... because Wizards cast spells real good, and Bards can ...well, this is 5e so... do literally anything?

What even are you trying to argue here?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
In a game where a Smart, Charismatic Fighter is a thing, ideally ability scores/skills are divorced from class enough that you could have a Swole Bard and a Wise Old Wizard.

Serf
May 5, 2011

muscle wizard or bust

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, like, really, what are the grim game balance concerns over a Fighter with say, 16 Int or Cha, or a Bard with 16 Str or a Rogue with 16 Wis?

This is what I'm saying - D&D's rules pretend that all stats are equally useful to all characters, when this is most assuredly not the case.

I feel like there's a path through this without going full-on DTAS*, but lol @ calling this coherent game design.

* DTAS is probably the correct solution, however, as it almost always is in a system where you also have both races and classes, and where you're not actually rolling them up.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

rename “spell levels” to “spell tiers”
rename “spell slots” to “spell charges”
bring back the standard/minor/free action terminology

three quick ways to make 5e’s bullshit terminology slightly less confusing for players without previous ttrpg experience

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Bladelock is hands down the best class simply because it uses cha for everything important. Just wish DNDbeyond supported the tiefling winged variant with the different attributes. Wanna dump that +1 int for dex, con or even strength to get closer to 13 for multiclassing but the wings are fun.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Serf posted:

what if that person was really sold on playing a wizard, because they wanted to be a fantasy elf who shoots magic spells? are you going to hand them a swordguy and tell them to deal with it?

I wouldn't prevent them from playing a Wizard, I would just let them know the rules are more complicated and do my best to prepare them.

dwarf74 posted:

I mean, this is just a shot in the dark, but... because Wizards cast spells real good, and Bards can ...well, this is 5e so... do literally anything?

What even are you trying to argue here?

The limited resources of ability scores force players to collaborate to solve problems. If Fighting isn't an option, the Bard can charm their way past the guards. If it's a puzzle or a trap, the Wizard or the Rogue can figure out how to disable it. If you have to swim across a dangerous river to tie off a rope, the Fighter can take off his full plate and hulk out. By allowing one person to have the benefits of all of the ability scores, it could hinder collaboration.

escalator dropdown posted:

bring back the standard/minor/free action terminology

Bonus actions really are the worst designed/explained mechanic.

Reik fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 22, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Reik posted:

If the system doesn't work with an 8 int wizard why can you build an 8 int wizard? If you need 16 int for your wizard to work why don't wizards just have 16 int?Better question, why does the person who wants to play a gnome druid end up with a worse character than the one who wants to play a gnome wizard or a kenku druid?

Reik posted:

The limited resources of ability scores force players to collaborate to solve problems. If Fighting isn't an option, the Bard can charm their way past the guards. If it's a puzzle or a trap, the Wizard or the Rogue can figure out how to disable it. If you have to swim across a dangerous river to tie off a rope, the Fighter can take off his full plate and hulk out.
The bard or rogue with expertise in athletics is a better swimmer than the fighter. The wizard can fly across the river. The fighter does nothing that the other classes can't do better.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 22, 2018

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If the rules explicitly said "Your class lists a primary ability score. That ability must be your highest", what would be lost?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Splicer posted:

Better question, why does the person who wants to play a gnome druid end up with a worse character than the one who wants to play a gnome wizard or a kenku druid?

The bard or rogue with expertise in athletics is a better swimmer than the fighter. The wizard can fly across the river. The fighter does nothing that the other classes can't do better.

Because Gnomes are better at certain things, including Intelligence stuff, in the D&D universe. You can have fun and enjoy playing a Gnome Druid.

Your Bard or Rogue spending expertise on Athletics instead of Persuasion or Investigation is a resource spent that they wouldn't have needed to otherwise. Your Wizard has to prepare Fly instead of another spell.

AlphaDog posted:

If the rules explicitly said "Your class lists a primary ability score. That ability must be your highest", what would be lost?

What would be gained?

If you don't understand the rules enough to know that you shouldn't make a 15 Charisma fighter, your DM should help you out. If you understand the rules enough and do it anyway, you're a jerk player.

Reik fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 22, 2018

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
oh no what a big issue it is that i have to prepare fly

that ever so niche spell that i would never prepare in any other circumstance

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Dragonatrix posted:

oh no what a big issue it is that i have to prepare fly

that ever so niche spell that i would never prepare in any other circumstance

What if the river is in an anti-magic field?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Reik posted:

The limited resources of ability scores force players to collaborate to solve problems. If Fighting isn't an option, the Bard can charm their way past the guards. If it's a puzzle or a trap, the Wizard or the Rogue can figure out how to disable it. If you have to swim across a dangerous river to tie off a rope, the Fighter can take off his full plate and hulk out. By allowing one person to have the benefits of all of the ability scores, it could hinder collaboration.
So the true sign of collaboration is ... what, a +3 bonus or thereabouts on a d20 roll by going to a 16 from a 10? Come on. We're pretending that "Fighter being good at talking" has equal mechanical weight to "Fighter being good at swording," and that's simply never going to be the case.

Also, I noticed you just literally went with the default prime requisites for each class, which is kind of the whole point under discussion.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Reik posted:

What

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah. I know right?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Reik posted:

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Reik posted:

An antimagic field is by RAW a 10 foot radius sphere with an hour long duration. This is a case of a DM pulling out all stops and invalidating a character's most prominent features. It's akin to making an enemy entirely immune to a Rogue's sneak attack (which happened a lot in 3.5), or having a dragon always fly out of range of the Barbarian so he can't use his heavy-hitting melee attacks. It's basically gimping one PC as a means of letting the others shine in the spotlight.

I can get that there's a time and place for throwing up challenges to make players think on their feet, but pulling out the antimagic field is the nuclear option, especially when half or more the party has classes whose core features are spellcasting.

Now if we're doing a "river crossing" thing as an encounter or obstacle, I wouldn't have merely crossing it be the sole feature. Have some aquatic monsters which can leap out of the water to attack flying PCs (like a black dragon), and maybe some kind of gondola which sahuagin may try to board.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 22, 2018

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

But srsly, D&D is flawed, it has always been flawed and always will be flawed.

Stats DO have a certain level of correctness to them, but being able to make dumb un-optimized characters is sometimes fun as long as everyone else is in on the joke.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Reik posted:

If you don't understand the rules enough to know that you shouldn't make a 15 Charisma fighter, your DM should help you out. If you understand the rules enough and do it anyway, you're a jerk player.

what if every person playing is new? what if your character concept is "charismatic axeman" and you need that sweet CHA to make it work?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

What if you have to move a bunch of goal posts and the Wizard didn't prep telekinesis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I have a buddy who ended up in an office DnD game, mostly newbies to the game. One guy wanted to play a kind of criminal master mind who never got his hand dirty, leaving that to his goons. With this in mind, he proceeded to make a rogue with his highest stat in Charisma, who refuses to ever participate in combat. When it was pointed out that Bard would be better mechanically suited to this, he complained about not wanting to be a dumb lute player. Not surprisingly, the character is useless in the game.

Yes, a good DM would have seen how the character was being made and guided them to better options. But the fact remains that the players handbook does a terrible job of emphasizing how much or how little a stat will matter in the long run to new players, because with the exception of a blink or you'll miss it suggestion at the start of each class, each stat is presented as equally important.