Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Does anyone know if Distant Stars is working in multiplayer, it’s definitely enabled for me but it’s not showing up on the host game screen :/

Edit: Asking here because the forums proper and steam are a nightmare on release for finding this kind of information.

Sanitary Naptime fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnDirtyCat
Dec 6, 2012
Coming back to Stellaris from about a year ago, it looks like a lot has changed. Is it still worth playing? I see a lot of negative reviews popping up, apparently about 2.0 being garbage.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Pages back, but this is a proclick.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

DamnDirtyCat posted:

Coming back to Stellaris from about a year ago, it looks like a lot has changed. Is it still worth playing? I see a lot of negative reviews popping up, apparently about 2.0 being garbage.

Its great. All those negative reviews are people who couldn't deal with the hyperlane-only changes.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's why I skim over posts unless there's pretty pictures...

Speaking of which, with the changes to how systems now spawn in clusters I've noticed some pretty funky galaxies getting generated now; in fact, to be blunt, the new system is terrible. After having to restart a few times to see what else can come up I've noticed that you don't seem to be guaranteed your two expansion worlds any more and very frequently you'll start getting a mishmash of garbage worlds and multi-planet systems. And sometimes you won't get anything at all:

This is a 1000 system, large galaxy with habitable worlds set to 1.5x and primitive civs set to 2.0x (I like running into new people). For some reason though I've spawned with nothing around me and the nearest habitable planet being 4 jumps away and the wrong biome (I'm tropical preference). Restarting a few more times and using the 'observe' command there seems to be no consistency in starts. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you get what's pictured above. This is when running the game with no other mods.

Interesting, I'm running 600 stars (4 arm spiral) and 1.25x hab and 1x primitives and I had 2 same-planet types near-by (1 right next door, the other in the adjacent 'cluster', and 3 more off-biome planets similarly close. I generated a couple more games and each of them had 2 on-biome worlds nearby and 2+ off-biome worlds. What galaxy shape are you using? I guess I could try pushing to 1000 stars and swapping types and maybe try not-ironman to see if I can see what you're doing.

Also check to make sure you're not accidentally running life-seeded?

edit: generated 3 more at 1000 stars and every one had 2 on-biome along with some off-biomes. 4 generated with ironman and all had 2 on-biome, and off-biome. 4 done at 1.5x hab with similar results. Going to try different shapes now.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 22, 2018

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I haven't played since just after Cherryh dropped and it sounds like they're planning on doing another major shakeup - I saw something about planet tiles maybe going away? Is this story pack a major change patch like Cherryh was, or will that come later?

TIL star systems can have more than 2 stars! Thanks, video games. Apparently we've observed up to seven in a system.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

DamnDirtyCat posted:

Steam reviews are bad in some ways cause gamers get really upset about tiny changes and make it sound like games are completely unplayable after a change they didn't like

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder who Yormak is, he seems to have a lot of appendages.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
2.0 is fantastic and revitalized my interest in the game. I've put about as much time post 2.0 as I had previous to it. Salty babymen can't handle change, even for the better, because it's not what they're used to.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

ZypherIM posted:

Interesting, I'm running 600 stars (4 arm spiral) and 1.25x hab and 1x primitives and I had 2 same-planet types near-by (1 right next door, the other in the adjacent 'cluster', and 3 more off-biome planets similarly close. I generated a couple more games and each of them had 2 on-biome worlds nearby and 2+ off-biome worlds. What galaxy shape are you using? I guess I could try pushing to 1000 stars and swapping types and maybe try not-ironman to see if I can see what you're doing.

Also check to make sure you're not accidentally running life-seeded?

edit: generated 3 more at 1000 stars and every one had 2 on-biome along with some off-biomes. 4 generated with ironman and all had 2 on-biome, and off-biome. 4 done at 1.5x hab with similar results. Going to try different shapes now.

The only changes to the defaults I made in my planetless start were 12 instead of 8 player empires, and random start locations instead of clustered.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DamnDirtyCat posted:

They slaughtered a diseased sacred cow by killing warp and wormhole ftl drives.

People are mad on principle, not because the game is worse.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DamnDirtyCat posted:

So long as you aren't a mono-linguistic mandarin speaker, the game has gotten objectively better by leaps and bounds over the last year.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Blorange posted:

The only changes to the defaults I made in my planetless start were 12 instead of 8 player empires, and random start locations instead of clustered.

I have no idea what the defaults are for galaxy shape, I've played for a long time. I generated 15 with 4-arm spiral with no dud starts, 10 elliptical starts with 1 dud, and I'll go test some 2-arm spirals. These were all Empire placement:random as well. Pretty much not seeing the galaxy generation being broken like claimed.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

DamnDirtyCat posted:

There's a lot of QoL improvements, but the overall game is kinda poo poo at the moment unless you mod the hell out of it. In particular, get a mod that makes the AI actually competent.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Blorange posted:

To reinforce your point, both of my games did not have any planets of my own biome within 5 jumps(One didn't have one within 9), with 800 systems on a 4 spiral map. One unmodded, one with interface mods.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

The jump range isn't exact in the current setup, since the routing on clusters might make it more than 5 jumps. However I'm up to 29 galaxies out of 30 generated where there were 2 on-biome planets in the starting or adjacent clusters.

edit: another 14 done with 1.0 hab on 1000 star 2-arm spirals with no duds.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 22, 2018

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I like how the named star systems now have the correct amount of stars. Alpha Centauri is a proper trinary :3:
Bah, it's basically just a binary system with a stellar close neighbor. Proxima Centauri is over three hundred times as far from the other two as Pluto is from the Sun.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

Bah, it's basically just a binary system with a stellar close neighbor. Proxima Centauri is over three hundred times as far from the other two as Pluto is from the Sun.

Which is still spitting distance for space. (Space is rather large.)

The distances of Proxima Centauri's weird course around the two stars of Alpha Centauri are 0,204 light years at maximum and fall below 0,1 light years at their closest. That's uncomfortably close for a "stellar close neighbor". Even the blue giants inside the galactic core would make weird faces at this.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Cynic Jester posted:

To reinforce your point, both of my games did not have any planets of my own biome within 5 jumps(One didn't have one within 9), with 800 systems on a 4 spiral map. One unmodded, one with interface mods.

Yeah, there has to be something going on. Put the game down a while ago to take care of something else, started looking into mods to see if any could help fix this but kept getting mixed results and word that some mods that should be working actually aren't due to other changes in the game, disabled them all and am still toying around with a few things to see what's going on. On my fourth try after disabling all mods I got this:

Still a tropical preference and the closest systems to me (from top to right) are arctic, arid and tomb. There is a exnophobix FE immediately to my south cutting off that part of the spiral arm I'm in. I have to wonder if this is working as intended as the 2.1 update was also supposed to rework strategic resources to make them more rare and valuable - the system off to my right has 5 alone, plus the two other systems that contain the same special ores. In a previous try I also had something like ~17 terraforming candidates around me which is more than I think I've seen in every game I've played added together since terraforming candidates have been introduced. Made up for the extreme lack of planets but not very useful when just starting out.

Still sticking with the opinion that galaxy generation is messed up. That, or RNGesus really loving hates me this afternoon.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

iospace posted:

Time for yet another achieve-

WHAT WAS, WILL BE

GRAVITY IS DESIRE

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was going to skip this one but it's only like $10?? Cheap.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Yeah, there has to be something going on. Put the game down a while ago to take care of something else, started looking into mods to see if any could help fix this but kept getting mixed results and word that some mods that should be working actually aren't due to other changes in the game, disabled them all and am still toying around with a few things to see what's going on. On my fourth try after disabling all mods I got this:

Still a tropical preference and the closest systems to me (from top to right) are arctic, arid and tomb. There is a exnophobix FE immediately to my south cutting off that part of the spiral arm I'm in. I have to wonder if this is working as intended as the 2.1 update was also supposed to rework strategic resources to make them more rare and valuable - the system off to my right has 5 alone, plus the two other systems that contain the same special ores. In a previous try I also had something like ~17 terraforming candidates around me which is more than I think I've seen in every game I've played added together since terraforming candidates have been introduced. Made up for the extreme lack of planets but not very useful when just starting out.

Still sticking with the opinion that galaxy generation is messed up. That, or RNGesus really loving hates me this afternoon.

I literally went and generated 44 maps and I had 1 that was a dud (no in-biomes near), and 1 that had only 1 in-biome planet instead of 2. Changing galaxy size/shape/planets didn't have any effect.

I guess I didn't try a variety of starting biomes, I was using an artic race so maybe I can go try making some with others and see if maybe there is something there. Currently I'm not seeing your problem of lots of dud starts though.

edit: did 10 starts with a tropical biome, no duds. 1 start only had 1 in-biome planet, but several had 3 in-biomes near.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 22, 2018

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
did they add this lil guy in this update or did I just miss it earlier.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Oh, he hates you. This time around I got a good start in under 10 tries, even with some weird mods (mostly shipsets/portraits though) added in.

However, I have spend entire afternoons spend trying to get the perfect start and failing in earlier iterations of the game, so I feel for you

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

DamnDirtyCat posted:

There were a few salty people who were mad after 2.0 came out because Paradox streamlined the FTL mechanics to hyperlanes-only, but that mostly died down after a week or two.

Most of the recent bad reviews are from Chinese gamers review-bombing the game's steam page because a recent patch removed the (incomplete and unused) Chinese language localization files.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Libluini posted:

Oh, he hates you. This time around I got a good start in under 10 tries, even with some weird mods (mostly shipsets/portraits though) added in.

However, I have spend entire afternoons spend trying to get the perfect start and failing in earlier iterations of the game, so I feel for you

I've had to get used to a few things. Maybe it's just RNG but I also seem to be having trouble with optimal starts (I eventually stopped caring). I'm not 100% happy with how cluster geography works yet, but that'll probably be a matter of tweaking and getting used to it.

The big thing with my game this morning was needing to put more thought and effort into the early exploration segment of the game. Scanning seems to have been slowed down, and low-level anomaly solving has been drastically slowed down. I needed to consciously choose which anomalies I wanted to work on and when, and deploy more science ships than I normally do at the start to keep the pace up. This isn't bad, but it was pretty notable to me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is combat still just corvette spam?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Baronjutter posted:

Is combat still just corvette spam?

Nope.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I'm up to 64 map generations (variety of sizes/shapes/biome), 2 duds (0 in-biomes), 2 were 1 in-biome near-by. Starts like this one are much more common than dud starts (and I'm generating on 1.0x planets) - 3 in-biomes and 1 out of biome..

Anomaly scanning was noted in the patch notes as being slowed down in exchange for no more fails. I think scanning got slowed down as well, but it isn't too bad. Discovery+Map the stars start is still incredible, and even low mineral races can afford a second science ship pretty easily.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh cool when did that change? What did they change? I burned out pretty fast with 2.0 so heavily rewarding 200 corvette fleets and I was seriously ending up with a sore finger from having to click 200 times every time I made a new fleet.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Baronjutter posted:

Oh cool when did that change? What did they change? I burned out pretty fast with 2.0 so heavily rewarding 200 corvette fleets and I was seriously ending up with a sore finger from having to click 200 times every time I made a new fleet.

Apocalypse is what changed it from corvette span. You know, 2.0

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

IAmTheRad posted:

They got rid of the whole nude corvette thing, but last time I played, which was only a couple months ago, anything other than a 100% corvette fleet seemed like an extremely foolish investment.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Yeah corvette only fleets are still totally viable, and probably give the best bang for your buck. Unless you're facing a fleet that's been specifically designed to counter that strategy, but the AI never does that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Corvettes are good but there are more efficient options some of the time. It's hard to beat torpedo corvettes but if you're fighting anything with high damage weapons, in a system with disengagement reduction, or, gun corvettes, you probably want something different.

I'd say all medium cruisers with tracking stacked are probably a quite good answer to corvettes, and destroyers should work too. Basically I don't think there's really any bad fleet composition right now but corvettes are really fast and versatile so while you won't really suffer for using anything else there's kind of not a lot of reason not to use them, basically? They're not optimal in all circumstances but they're good in the vast majority of them and you start with the technology so...

I think maybe big ships would be better if they got extra armour or something by virtue of being big hulls, same as starbases do. Also big guns could perhaps do with being even more damage efficient compared to small ones. Also nerf torpedoes because +100% armour damage negate shield damage is... well it's the best weapon in the game basically why would you use anything else and you can mount it on a corvette.

Again the balance isn't bad, all ships work but because everything is competitive and all weapons and ships can reliably fight each other you end up going with the easiest choice, especially the one you can refit from your early fleets.

Another option perhaps would be varying power costs for weapons and making ships more power starved especially smaller ones, so autocannons are the cheapest to run but suck vs armour, drivers are the next step up, but laser and especially plasma are really power hungry so if you want to make an armour piercing ship you want bigger ships which can mount bigger, more energy hungry guns. Nerf torps somehow and then if you want to crack stations you need bigger ships with more power hungry weapons. Maybe split guided weapons into light and heavy and give corvettes only a light guided slot and put current torps as heavy guided which you need cruiser or larger ships to mount.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 23, 2018

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

IAmTheRad posted:

No 2.0 firmly planted it as corvette spam.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Do corvettes have a bonus to disengagement? That'd be a pretty big thing if they do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Conskill posted:

Do corvettes have a bonus to disengagement? That'd be a pretty big thing if they do.

Yes, enormously. That's their main benefit. I don't know exactly what the numbers are but the smaller the ship the better the disengagement chance. I don't know if it's tied to evasion but it tracks a bit like that. It makes it so that you can "lose" corvettes in a fight but they don't stay gone, you can warp out or win the fight and they come back heavily damaged.

The main exception to this is if you fight around a black hole or, if you get hit with massive single strike damage. Because disengagement works by making ships roll to disengage when they get hit at low health. If you never hit low health owing to being one shot, your ships never make disengage checks.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 23, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah the new war system and combat system makes disengagement chance the single most important thing for a fleet/ship. Battleships take a very long time to replace and are slow to get to the front, while most of the corvettes you "lost" in the battle actually just ran away and are now instantly back in your fleet, plus new ones can reinforce super quickly. Wars are now about avoiding losses, not winning battles, and corvettes are king at that.

All the changes to movement, fleets, and war scores have made corvettes extremely over powered.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've had pretty good results with corvettes running a ballistic + missile setup. One armor, one hull, one shield, regenerating aux. My last game though I used largely cruisers with a titan or two and had overall better results; at least as far as replacing things. Even at 200 corvettes most encounters would result in a handful getting murdered. But a similar enough fleet strength with cruisers + titans was doing similar damage with hardly any losses ever.

Corvettes are insanely fast though. I had one fleet with a level 10 admiral that rolled all the subspace perks + I had that subspace edict thing from completing Supremacy. I made a special fleet that gave them afterburners and those fuckers could cross the entire 1000 star galaxy from one end to another at absolute stupid speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah the new war system and combat system makes disengagement chance the single most important thing for a fleet/ship. Battleships take a very long time to replace and are slow to get to the front, while most of the corvettes you "lost" in the battle actually just ran away and are now instantly back in your fleet, plus new ones can reinforce super quickly. Wars are now about avoiding losses, not winning battles, and corvettes are king at that.

All the changes to movement, fleets, and war scores have made corvettes extremely over powered.

This holds true until your opponent tools for -disengage and alpha strikes (giving you maybe 1 roll for disengage) and then suddenly those are all actual losses.

edit: it might be a superior strategy versus the AI, but you don't need the bleeding edge best to beat the AI so you shouldn't feel shackled to corvettes.