Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

CrazyLittle posted:

Yeah, At least it's not Comcast? Their "2gig" internet service is a 10gig fiber handoff with 2gig limit on the port, and even though they're charging a premium $300/mo for it, they still enforce their monthly data caps.

If anyone signs up for this service and then gets mad their speed test isn't scoring "9000mbps+" on speedtest.net, please punch yourself in the dick.

obligatory speed test result:

:awesome: :awesome:

There's a real point of diminishing returns where the speedtest software and/or client hardware isn't keeping up.

:captainpop:

I too want to live in a world where SATA III would bottleneck the internet connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OMG what router are you using?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

redeyes posted:

OMG what router are you using?

That was through an Edgerouter Infinity, but no NAT. Also it's not home service of course

eames posted:

:captainpop:

I too want to live in a world where SATA III would bottleneck the internet connection.

No hard disks were harmed during the making of this test (speedtest.net / ookla's software shouldn't actually write to disk)

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 23, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ah gotcha. Hell of a router regardless.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

CrazyLittle posted:

Yeah, At least it's not Comcast? Their "2gig" internet service is a 10gig fiber handoff with 2gig limit on the port, and even though they're charging a premium $300/mo for it, they still enforce their monthly data caps.

If anyone signs up for this service and then gets mad their speed test isn't scoring "9000mbps+" on speedtest.net, please punch yourself in the dick.

obligatory speed test result:

:awesome: :awesome:

There's a real point of diminishing returns where the speedtest software and/or client hardware isn't keeping up.

Maybe I need to put the Linksys E3000 back in the OP for this type of connection.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What kind of data cap is that anyways? Can you blow through it in a day?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

redeyes posted:

What kind of data cap is that anyways? Can you blow through it in a day?

Comcast enforces a 1TB per month plan. Yes you probably could blow through 1TB at 2gbps in about 10-15 minutes if the remote side and all connections between allowed full use of that speed.

1TB = 1024GB
1024GB / 2GBPS = 512sec or ~8.6min not counting protocol overhead or latency.

If you're asking about the 10gig speedtest result I posted, there's no data cap. It's 10gbps fiber at a commercial data center, connected to a internet backbone provider.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ah ok. Makes more sense now. Ive hit around 8TB in one month on Comcast business class. No one seemed to care.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I've been having intermittent modem bed-making GBS threads for 4 days now. I have fairly standard OP equipment (SB6183/Archer C5) and am getting fatal T4 timeouts about once every 45 minutes I've had a tech here twice, to no avail. My provider Spectrum (formerly TWC) is running a 7 day "study" of my internet where engineers will examine what's going on wrt my line and my building's service, and call me back on the 8th day with findings and steps. Is this a thing..?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I've been having intermittent modem bed-making GBS threads for 4 days now. I have fairly standard OP equipment (SB6183/Archer C5) and am getting fatal T4 timeouts about once every 45 minutes I've had a tech here twice, to no avail. My provider Spectrum (formerly TWC) is running a 7 day "study" of my internet where engineers will examine what's going on wrt my line and my building's service, and call me back on the 8th day with findings and steps. Is this a thing..?

This can be a thing. Tracing the problem is important. Could be anything from a bad cable connection to the modem just making GBS threads itself or the router having issues. I've lived in places where the high humidity corroded the copper connections at the wall socket.

I used to go through a lot of ADSL modems with the solution ending up buying a decent modem with proper cooling. I'm still using the modem I bought at the time I posted this thread (until I get a fibre install towards the end of this year).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I haven't been following this thread in awhile since I last purged my bookmarks...

I'm stuck in the recommending-a-family-member-a-router hell. He's a pretty technical guy just doesn't know much about networking stuff so I'm thinking a USG would be a good thing.

I came to double check the OP and noticed it wasn't in there, but I seem to recall people liking the USG ok last time I was reading the thread...particularly because of the integration with the controller software for the unifi access points.

Yes or no on the USG?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't been following this thread in awhile since I last purged my bookmarks...

I'm stuck in the recommending-a-family-member-a-router hell. He's a pretty technical guy just doesn't know much about networking stuff so I'm thinking a USG would be a good thing.

I came to double check the OP and noticed it wasn't in there, but I seem to recall people liking the USG ok last time I was reading the thread...particularly because of the integration with the controller software for the unifi access points.

Yes or no on the USG?

Best thing I ever did for my parents. USG, UniFi AP, UniFi switch. A bit more expensive versus an all-in-one but for central management/monitoring/etc it's so loving worth it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do they already have a UniFi controller somewhere and are comfortable with the UI? I wouldn't recommend a USG to somebody who wasn't already a UniFi user if I wanted to not have to talk to them about it again.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I already had one running. The goal shouldn't be "let me show you how to login to the controller," the goal should be "plug this box into this box, here's your wifi password."

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The OP says SurfBoards are supposed to last a long time. I've had mine for 2 years and TWC (Spectrum) is telling me they think my connection issues are modem related, even though I'm getting T4 timeouts. Thoughts?

E: TWC said I definitely need a new modem. I'm in a very crowded area (NYC) and my "plan" is the 200mbps plan. Is it worth it to go up an extra $30 and get the SB6190 for the 32x8?

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 23, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Good Will Hrunting posted:

The OP says SurfBoards are supposed to last a long time. I've had mine for 2 years and TWC (Spectrum) is telling me they think my connection issues are modem related, even though I'm getting T4 timeouts. Thoughts?

E: TWC said I definitely need a new modem. I'm in a very crowded area (NYC) and my "plan" is the 200mbps plan. Is it worth it to go up an extra $30 and get the SB6190 for the 32x8?

SB6190 has the flawed Puma chipset; avoid that one. SB6183 is more than fine for 200Mbps; upgrade pick would be the more-expensive SB8200.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Yes or no on the USG?

The USG is fine for that use. The cut back interface features on the USG won't matter. The edgerouters in the OP are good if you are going to use the interface regularly and need to squeeze every last bit of performance out of a gigabit fibre connection.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thanks Ants posted:

Do they already have a UniFi controller somewhere and are comfortable with the UI? I wouldn't recommend a USG to somebody who wasn't already a UniFi user if I wanted to not have to talk to them about it again.

No, but they're technical enough to figure it out just like I did.

Personally I like the UniFi interface a lot more than the edgerouter interface. (i have both)

Devian666 posted:

The USG is fine for that use. The cut back interface features on the USG won't matter. The edgerouters in the OP are good if you are going to use the interface regularly and need to squeeze every last bit of performance out of a gigabit fibre connection.

Maybe a note about it in the OP? Dunno if thats a good idea or not...

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

astral posted:

SB6190 has the flawed Puma chipset; avoid that one. SB6183 is more than fine for 200Mbps; upgrade pick would be the more-expensive SB8200.

Went with the 83 and via Speedtest I'm getting over the 200Mbps I pay for on my wireless network, but my wired network is now making GBS threads the bed (I have an Archer and I'm using a power-line adapter to get to my room). My ping is fine on both (roughly 10-20ms) but my downloads on wireless.. woof.

E: My internet has stopped working again, even with the new modem Spectrum told me to purchase. I am quite livid right now, as it will be day 4 of them coming to attempt to fix things they have no idea how to fix clearly.

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 24, 2018

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Welp

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/05/hackers-infect-500000-consumer-routers-all-over-the-world-with-malware/

quote:

Hackers possibly working for an advanced nation have infected more than 500,000 home and small-office routers around the world with malware that can be used to collect communications, launch attacks on others, and permanently destroy the devices with a single command, researchers at Cisco warned Wednesday.

VPNFilter—as the modular, multi-stage malware has been dubbed—works on consumer-grade routers made by Linksys, MikroTik, Netgear, TP-Link, and on network-attached storage devices from QNAP, Cisco researchers said in an advisory. It’s one of the few pieces of Internet-of-things malware that can survive a reboot. Infections in at least 54 countries have been slowly building since at least 2016, and Cisco researchers have been monitoring them for several months. The attacks drastically ramped up during the past three weeks, including two major assaults on devices located in Ukraine. The spike, combined with the advanced capabilities of the malware, prompted Cisco to release Wednesday’s report before the research is completed.

The actual advisory
https://blog.talosintelligence.com/2018/05/VPNFilter.html

quote:

Hard to protect
Wednesday’s report is concerning because routers and NAS devices typically receive no antivirus or firewall protection and are directly connected to the Internet. While the researchers still don’t know precisely how the devices are getting infected, almost all of those targeted have known public exploits or default credentials that make compromise straightforward.

Antivirus provider Symantec issued its own advisory Wednesday that identified the targeted devices as:

Linksys E1200
Linksys E2500
Linksys WRVS4400N
Mikrotik RouterOS for Cloud Core Routers: Versions 1016, 1036, and 1072
Netgear DGN2200
Netgear R6400
Netgear R7000
Netgear R8000
Netgear WNR1000
Netgear WNR2000
QNAP TS251
QNAP TS439 Pro
Other QNAP NAS devices running QTS software
TP-Link R600VPN

Both Cisco and Symantec are advising users of any of these devices to do a factory reset, a process that typically involves holding down a button in the back for five to 10 seconds. Unfortunately, these resets wipe all configuration settings stored in the device, so users will have to reenter the settings once the device restarts. At a minimum, Symantec said, users of these devices should reboot their devices. That will stop stages 2 and 3 from running, at least until stage 1 manages to reinstall them.

Users should also change all default passwords, be sure their devices are running the latest firmware, and, whenever possible, disable remote administration. (Netgear officials in the past few hours started advising users of "some" router models to turn off remote management. TP-Link officials, meanwhile, said they are investigating the Cisco findings.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Maybe a note about it in the OP? Dunno if thats a good idea or not...

For most cases it's not the best choice. I did think about adding it in January but decided against it. I'll add to my list to reconsider.

Literally checked my NAS to make sure it has the latest firmware. It's firewalled, requires login and has antivirus. I like the advice given in the article to change default passwords and disable remote administration. Seriously companies should ship with a custom password like I've seen on ASUS routers and remote admin should be off by default on consumer devices.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

My apartment building just signed a contract with Google Webpass, so I signed up immediately after they started accepting applicants from my building. I’ve been having a problem with my throughput, though. I get about 930Mbps up and down when connected directly into the wall, but once I hook up my router (a 5 year old Asus RT-AC68P), I’m only getting 300Mbps over Wifi.

I’ve tried changing all the settings to what’s recommended by people who weren’t having any issues with their 1 gigabit connections with the router. I’ve tried changing the Wifi channel around depending on what I’ve noticed other people in my building have been using. I’ve also tried different firmware versions and even installed Asuswrt-Merlin and played around with the various settings some more. None of this has helped me get past around 300-400Mbps. I can’t figure it out and it’s incredibly frustrating.

Is this an issue with my router? Should I look into upgrading to something else to maximize my throughput?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It appears that it's the maximum wireless throughput based on this review and testing.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...howall=&start=2

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ihatepants posted:

but once I hook up my router (a 5 year old Asus RT-AC68P), I’m only getting 300Mbps over Wifi.

What do you get through your ASUS when wired to the router?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Devian666 posted:

It appears that it's the maximum wireless throughput based on this review and testing.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...howall=&start=2

Huh. Could have sworn the forum posts I saw on snb said people were able to get close to 1Gbps on wireless, but I guess they were just talking about wired. In any case, since I’ll be looking for a new router, it looks like the ER-X will also top out at about 500-600Mbps. Does the Edgerouter Lite have the same limitation?

CrazyLittle posted:

What do you get through your ASUS when wired to the router?

660Mbps down/350 up, so a bit faster than wireless.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 24, 2018

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
ER Lite is stated to being able to reach up to 950 mbps. Ubiquiti's marketing states 1 million packets per second but that's a very cultivated throughput figure.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ihatepants posted:

660Mbps down/350 up, so a bit faster than wireless.

Yeah so even if you did get the wifi to work at full router speed, you're still capped at 660/350. But don't get your hopes up anyways. The fastest throughput you can get with 80mhz wide channels is roughly 600mbps (with 100% signal strength at 1300mbps PHY connect rate) and that requires that you're using an access point or router with 3x3 MIMO and a laptop that ALSO has 3x3 MIMO

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Devian666 posted:

ER Lite is stated to being able to reach up to 950 mbps. Ubiquiti's marketing states 1 million packets per second but that's a very cultivated throughput figure.

If the USG can, the ER Lite can.

CrazyLittle posted:

USG's plenty adequate for 1gig internet service, BTW

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm thinking of getting a couple T-Mobile AC1900 routers, but I'm worried about the lastest firmware from Asus apparently loving up the flash and permanently disabling the Ai Mesh features.

Would using Merlin bypass this issue?

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm thinking of getting a couple T-Mobile AC1900 routers, but I'm worried about the lastest firmware from Asus apparently loving up the flash and permanently disabling the Ai Mesh features.

Would using Merlin bypass this issue?

Wild card: do the hex edit firmware dump method and install tomato on it instead.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sorry I'm not versed in SHSC jokes. Is this a serious option or something silly?

Merlin doesn't support meshing, and that's what I really want.

My house had the coax dropped in at my library off in my bedroom, and most of our internet happens at the living room, which there are at least five walls in the way, including a long hallway wall nearly parallel the LOS to the router.

I know how to terminate RG6 and CAT5 but there's not a ton of great options to get it up through my attic.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 24, 2018

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

It's a serious option, check out the giant post in the first reply here regarding how to do it.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9330575-asus-tm-ac1900-wireless-ac1900-dual-band-gigabit-router-59-free-shipping

I actually did it with all the tools/stuff they linked throughout the post and the most time consuming part was to wait for the router to reboot.
Otherwise it's pretty straightforward and only took about 30 minutes.

Also check out tomato's features to see if it does what you want, or else I personally prefers tomato firmware such as the shibby tomato branch due to how stable they are.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

CrazyLittle posted:

If the USG can, the ER Lite can.

That's pretty cool.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

ER-lite and ER-X can definitely do gigabit routing. As long as you are using all the hardware offloaded stuff.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Gigabit routing is fine. My reference to the 1 million packets per second is a jab at the unrealistic benchmarking their marketing team has used.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Devian666 posted:

Gigabit routing is fine. My reference to the 1 million packets per second is a jab at the unrealistic benchmarking their marketing team has used.

It's more realistic than Cisco, for what it's worth.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

CrazyLittle posted:

It's more realistic than Cisco, for what it's worth.

This sounds worth investigating.

e: Oh yeah the most disorganised and poorly planned point to point wireless setup I've ever seen. I should put a Linus Tech Tips warning as well because it's kind of infuriating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYJFwXw1ZIc

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 25, 2018

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
What are the recommendations for routers for VPN speed? I was looking to get the Edgerouter pro but after some googling I'm seeing post about VPN speeds of ~50Mb/s for openvpn. Some Asus routers seems to be getting 250Mb/s. So what is the cheapest router I can get that will give over 100Mb/s over OpenVPN?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FSMC posted:

What are the recommendations for routers for VPN speed? I was looking to get the Edgerouter pro but after some googling I'm seeing post about VPN speeds of ~50Mb/s for openvpn. Some Asus routers seems to be getting 250Mb/s. So what is the cheapest router I can get that will give over 100Mb/s over OpenVPN?

Run pfsense on a VM somewhere in your house, let that be the router. A single x86 core will be better than most cheap ARM / MIPS options.

Alternatively, you could get a Mikrotik RB3011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

FSMC posted:

Asus routers are a bit weird, the AC-86U has AES-NI and does well with VPN, but the higher end 87 and 88u does not, so the 86u actually outperforms them. All three though seem overpriced to me.