Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Some "important" WH press briefing with Huckabee-Sanders supposedly about to start soon-ish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGIKUGq9SA0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
God drat it reality stop being so on the nose. :argh:

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/998919472567275520/photo/1

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lmao

e:helping hand, i guess?

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 22, 2018

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

Looks like someone found Melania's escape tunnel.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jokers Gamble posted:

Looks like someone found Melania's escape tunnel.

Poor woman never did understand engineering.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zeroisanumber posted:

Poor woman never did understand engineering.

Oh, that explains the hospital stay.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It doesn't seem like a good thing when your business partner pleads guilty to tax fraud to avoid prison time and agrees to testify against you.

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/999034003020746752

https://twitter.com/LauraLitvan/status/999033697021124608

quote:

Mr. Freidman, who was disbarred earlier this month, had been accused of failing to pay more than $5 million in taxes and faced four counts of criminal tax fraud and one of grand larceny — all B felonies. Each carries a maximum prison sentence of up to 25 years in prison.

Instead, he appeared in court in Albany on Tuesday and pleaded guilty to a single count of evading only $50,000 worth of taxes; he faces five years of probation if he fulfills the terms of his agreement, the judge, Patrick Lynch of Albany County court, said during the roughly 20-minute proceeding.

Edit: Bonus! This was a state charge, unpardonable.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 22, 2018

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Pruitt had an EPA presser. Multiple news outlets were kicked out by security or denied entry at the door, just by pure coincidence ones that are largely unfavorable like CNN and AP.

"We ran out of room, the press knew it and were made aware in advance" was the excuse for awhile, implying to the MAGA chud base that they're all lying and it's more lamestream lieberal media fake news. Then pictures and video of empty seats and empty places at the back for cameras were released. Pretty curious how the lie evolves from here or if they just keep making GBS threads out the fake news narrative.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't worry the NYT will have an Op/Ed about how this is actually a metaphor for green spaces and if the liberals get their way they'll whine that they won't be allowed in because of regulations requiring empty space

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Freidman should have seen some jail time, imo.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Dance Officer posted:

Freidman should have seen some jail time, imo.

if everyone else gets off scott free except the gop leadership and orangino + family, who die in prison, i consider it a fair trade

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

There's no way this will ever bite us in the rear end, no sir.

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

McNally posted:

Actually not that big a deal. Raises the amount of assets banks need to hold to be considered “systemically important” which imo is reasonable considering a lot of those regulations were specifically meant for the too big to fail type banks. It relaxes some of the stricter mortgage lending guidelines but still requires the lender to hold the loans in his/her own portfolio (among other things) which usually ensures some semblance of due-diligence.

Good things: makes freezing your credit free, releases obligations of co-signers of student debt in event of death, some other credit stuff I’m forgetting.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

McNally posted:

IIRC it had bi-partisan support at the committee stage too. It was seen as too restrictive for the small banks and then just kept being judged upwards bit by bit.

Thanks Congress!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Here's hoping the next crash causes these fuckers to jump

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

TheAlphaChaser posted:

Actually not that big a deal. Raises the amount of assets banks need to hold to be considered “systemically important” which imo is reasonable considering a lot of those regulations were specifically meant for the too big to fail type banks. It relaxes some of the stricter mortgage lending guidelines but still requires the lender to hold the loans in his/her own portfolio (among other things) which usually ensures some semblance of due-diligence.

Good things: makes freezing your credit free, releases obligations of co-signers of student debt in event of death, some other credit stuff I’m forgetting.

You might be entirely right, but I get mighty suspicious when I see forums user "TheAlphaChaser" posting about how deregulation is good.....

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Kill all bankers and regulate the banks imo

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

You might be entirely right, but I get mighty suspicious when I see forums user "TheAlphaChaser" posting about how deregulation is good.....

Might even say the new corporate tax rate is A Good Thing and if your goal is to increase real wages or play with unemployment, corporate taxes aren’t a great lever to do that anyway. But I no longer toil for corporate gods, just consult for those who do.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

TheAlphaChaser posted:

Might even say the new corporate tax rate is A Good Thing and if your goal is to increase real wages or play with unemployment, corporate taxes aren’t a great lever to do that anyway. But I no longer toil for corporate gods, just consult for those who do.

Guillotine

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TheAlphaChaser posted:

Are you sure you're in the right thread? Not a single person, in this thread or probably anywhere else, has argued that taxing corporations increases wages or reduce unemployment. But thanks for contributing this snippet from an imaginary argument between two idiots, looking forward to the off-broadway release.

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Are you sure you're in the right thread? Not a single person, in this thread or probably anywhere else, has argued that taxing corporations increases wages or reduce unemployment. But thanks for contributing this snippet from an imaginary argument between two idiots, looking forward to the off-broadway release.

He made a joke regarding my username, so I made a stetement in jest that would add credence to his joke. Sorry for the comment.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lmao Don Blankenship, convicted former coal lord of West Virginia and Republican primary loser, is mounting a third party challenge in WV. He's going to Ross Perot Republicans in a race they need to win.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...m=.985b0bb5c77f

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

psydude posted:

Lmao Don Blankenship, convicted former coal lord of West Virginia and Republican primary loser, is mounting a third party challenge in WV. He's going to Ross Perot Republicans in a race they need to win.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...m=.985b0bb5c77f

jon.oliver_cool.wav

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/999083079095463936?s=19

:thunk:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Kawasaki Nun posted:

THE ONLY WINNING MOVE

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Kids have started a hashtag campaign called #IfIDieInASchoolShooting.
"my killer will become famous and no one will even remember my name"
Emma Gonzalez: "I'd get to see Cameron again"

Pretty sure I just died a little inside

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Only famous until the next one a week later.

Like I seriously forgot Las Vegas even happened until they released the bodycams

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
What kind of moron believes in an afterlife?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
This is the afterlife

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

What kind of moron believes in an afterlife?

Be careful you don't cut yourself with that edge there

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Gahahahah

https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/999088038314676224

Hope Donnie's team liked the week in Singapore!

(lol this peace process is turbofucked already)

quote:

The North Koreans have sent signals to U.S. officials that Kim is skittish about logistical concerns, including ensuring that his plane would be able to access enough fuel for the 6,000-mile round trip flight and safeguarding his security while on the ground in Singapore, according to the people familiar with the deliberations.

Among other things, Kim purportedly is concerned that a trip so far from home could expose him to a military coup or other internal attempts to unseat him, the sources said.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bird food bathtub posted:

Pruitt had an EPA presser. Multiple news outlets were kicked out by security or denied entry at the door, just by pure coincidence ones that are largely unfavorable like CNN and AP.

"We ran out of room, the press knew it and were made aware in advance" was the excuse for awhile, implying to the MAGA chud base that they're all lying and it's more lamestream lieberal media fake news. Then pictures and video of empty seats and empty places at the back for cameras were released. Pretty curious how the lie evolves from here or if they just keep making GBS threads out the fake news narrative.

Overt violation of the 1st Amendment, ho hum nothing to see here.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

Gahahahah

https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/999088038314676224

Hope Donnie's team liked the week in Singapore!

(lol this peace process is turbofucked already)

Welp doesn't matter now, even the speculation that he might be worried about a coup signs his own death warrant.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Stultus Maximus posted:

Overt violation of the 1st Amendment, ho hum nothing to see here.

I hope the fake news media issues a class action lawsuit against the EPA for lost revenue because they didn’t let them in. Missing the scoop. You’ve got a convolution of freedom of the press and a government agency playing favorites publicly. violating their freedoms etc

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

On the banking dereg bullshit, basically it says that only the REALLY big guys (BofA, WF, etc) pose a systemic risk if they fail. This ignores that in 2008 everyone was doing the same stupid poo poo, so in reality even medium sized banks are systemic risks because bad behavior tends to be contagious (privatized benefits and socialized risks being a pretty good deal if you can get it.)

Also those mid-sized banks that are getting relief under this include the US subsidiaries of massive international banks (HSBC, etc).

The justification for this is that this is necessary to prevent the ongoing decline of smaller banks due to Dodd-Frank. This ignores they've been closing at about the same rate (everywhere but North Dakota) since the 80s or so. And after news of this looking like it was going to pass came out, some regional banks announced they would be buying more small banks. And banking as an industry generally making record profits.

North Dakota is the only state (AFAIK) that has a public bank run by the state, and also the highest number of smaller community banks still open. Strange.

Teal Deer: It's real fuckin' dumb.

Weeds (made by Vox) podcast digging into why it's so loving stupid:
https://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/rss.art19.com/episodes/e3e3a46f-4697-4082-abc8-15c5018f6369.mp3

Intercept article on how it's already triggering more consolidation and north Dakota's public bank:

https://theintercept.com/2018/05/16/wall-street-bank-regulation-bill/

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 23, 2018

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

TFW when you mix up your party's get out the vote and voter suppression strategies.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Kawasaki Nun posted:

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/978b8a32-7147-3ced-8aba-75a120def475/after-tax-cuts%2C-more-banks.html

After tax cuts, more banks are profitable than at any time in the past two decades

:thunk:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Raising the corporate rate can absolutely increase wages and reduce unemployment if those increased wages and extra hires are tax deductible. That's part of why everyone had pensions/healthcare/bonuses/etc in the 50s and 60s because although the corporate rate was incredibly high, they were able to deduct all the extra benefits paid to employees.

Once it's no longer a tax incentive to provide employees with benefits, they lose said benefits and the "tax savings" now go into the owner's pockets. I put "tax savings" in quotes because the effective tax rate remained basically static. Instead of the employees getting the balance, though, it shifted to executive compensation instead.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
kinda funny how 40 years of wage stagnation paralleled 40 years of "business friendly" policies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Not much will change until management gets permanently hosed by labor (lol won't happen) and maximizing shareholder value is punishable by prison time (lol then you get shareholder revolts).

Welp.

• Locked thread