Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Reik posted:

Rogue with swashbuckler archetype.

i'm looking real hard here and it still doesn't appear to be a fighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
then ur a fuckin. crybabby.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

karmicknight posted:

It's only Tuesday, things can get ever weirder.

So, I guess since I'm posting the 5e thread, I might as well ask the question on my mind. I want to make a professional wrestler. I want to do grabs and throws and strikes. What is the method through which D&D Next, the game in which I will eventually play this character, allows me to approximate that? Because searching the internet for ideas has left me going "But I just want to superkick dudes and throw them your sperglords."

What level is your game, and what sourcebooks and options is your DM allowing?

For Races: Look into Goliath, if your DM allows it. You're automatically proficient in Athletics skill. And depending on the interpretation of the rules, you may count as Large size for weigh-based stuff. Which may or may not mean that you can grapple Huge monsters.

For Classes: I recommend a one level dip in Rogue for Expertise, and put one of the choices in Athletics skill. The doubling of your proficiency bonus is no joke. At 9th level your +4 bonus will jump to +8 for Expertise, and proficiency bonuses ordinarily top out at +6 at 17th level.

And get this. Whereas in 3rd Edition grappling was a terrible option because large monsters had way too big bonuses, there's a huge amount of beasts in the Monster Manual who are not proficient in the Athletics skill. As it is rare for a monster to have a Strength above 20, your Expertise grappler will be wrestling chimeras and chuuls in no time.

You can do a grapple as as one of your attacks if you can make multiple attacks. So if you have something like a Monk's Flurry of Blows or Fighter's Action Surge you can grapple with one hand and smack a fool with your extra attacks.

Monk has a Way of the Open Hand archetype where you can impose effects on an enemy with your flurry of blows. They include knocking an opponent prone, pushing them back 15 feet away, and inability to take reactions.

Finally, although most of them do not directly rely upon Athletics, Fighter with the Battle Master Archetype has some appropriate maneuvers: Disarming Attack, Pushing Attack, and Trip Attack come to mind.

Finally, Bards get Expertise at 3rd level. Additionally they have an ability in the College of Lore where they can impose a 1d6 penalty to an enemy's skill roll as a reaction. And 1d8 at 5th level, and 1d10 at 10th level. At 6th level, Lore Bards can also learn spells from other classes. Enlarge Person from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list is a great choice, so you can wrestle even larger creatures!

Overall, Grappler Bards are pretty boss.

Finally, a Barbarian's Rage can grant you advantage on Strength checks, which includes Athletics.

TL;DR 1 Rogue dip with levels in a class with multiple attacks, such as Barbarian, Fighter (Battle Master), or Monk (Open Hand). Or levels in straight Bard.

I also recommend checking out this Handbook here:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468737-The-Grappler-s-Manual-(2-0)-Grappling-in-5th-Edition

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 23, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Serf posted:

i'm looking real hard here and it still doesn't appear to be a fighter

It's dungeons and dragons, you may be expected to use your imagination.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of fighters and their badness, due to my being the RPG person of my circle of friends, one has come to me for help making a character in 5e. As I don't know or like 5e, but still want to help, I'm coming here.

Basically, he wants to be a sword and board fighter, and have good AC. How would he go about this? Preferably without sucking, as much as one can be a fighter and not suck.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

karmicknight posted:

It's only Tuesday, things can get ever weirder.

So, I guess since I'm posting the 5e thread, I might as well ask the question on my mind. I want to make a professional wrestler. I want to do grabs and throws and strikes. What is the method through which D&D Next, the game in which I will eventually play this character, allows me to approximate that? Because searching the internet for ideas has left me going "But I just want to superkick dudes and throw them your sperglords."

If you don't know to take levels in bard or rogue to make a barehanded grappler then maybe put in an iota of effort you apparent fuckin' simpleton, you literal plebeian

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Reik posted:

words mean things, if you want to refer to something that is not defined by the term Fighter, don't use the word Fighter. Say Martial or non-magic or melee dude or something

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Roland Jones posted:

Speaking of fighters and their badness, due to my being the RPG person of my circle of friends, one has come to me for help making a character in 5e. As I don't know or like 5e, but still want to help, I'm coming here.

Basically, he wants to be a sword and board fighter, and have good AC. How would he go about this? Preferably without sucking, as much as one can be a fighter and not suck.

It's pretty easy? You can have like 18 AC at level 1 if you wear Chain Mail and take a Shield, but of which are offered to level 1 Fighters. There's a thousand YT videos of step-by-step character creation. I recommend WebDM's take. Also, of the sub-classes, there's one called Champion that is mostly passive bonuses that make the declarative "I hit the bad thing with my sword" better and better as you level.

Put your best stat into Strength, your 2nd best into Con, dump Dex, and I'd go for Wis>Int>Cha, but any order here is fine. Race can be anything he wants, it really doesn't matter. `

You could download any pre-generated Fighter from 5E and be okay, even. Does he have a race in mind?

WebDM's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35_vu1yakNA
WOTC Pre-gens: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/character_sheets
- there's a human fighter with a shield, and new sheets for every level. He could literally print it out and play.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 23, 2018

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
For a prowrestle style fight man I went Goliath Fighter with Tavern Brawler feat and I flavor my battlemaster moves toward sick moves. I've yet to reach a point where I needed much more but my long term plan would be 6 battlemaster, 6 bearbarian for unkillability and extra lift stuff capacity, then just keep going fighter and try to weasel an expertise in athletics out of my GM with a quest or downtime activity training.

Its also worth mentioning that I got a shield that hexes my foes if they crit me so I can say that giving baddies disadvantage on str checks makes your swag mo better.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Reik posted:

true, but that doesn't really explain why the system doesn't allow for a wise, charismatic or smart fighter. any one of those should be a viable choice

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Reik posted:

the best roleplaying game is a post it note scrawled with dUnGeOnS aNd DrAgOnS

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
social mechanics are an afterthought anyway, speccing into them as your schtick is a trap for basically any class. Since it's mostly done through RP, its mostly up to what the GM feels like, and if they've planned a fight they'll probably push towards that happening because if you succeed you have an anticlimax and 2 hours to kill. There's no guidelines about the effect it has or how many roles are appropriate (I've been in games where it's just roll after roll until failure, then fight), it's very common to just roleplay the conversation and ignore the mechanics, so if you do invest it's often a waste. Everything is tied to charisma, so you can't persuade people via having a really good plan or idea or intimidating people with being a 7 foot barbarian wearing dragon-skin. Barely any of the classes get anything that helps with them. There's no guidelines to handle external factors assisting your claim. Last but not least, casters can trivialize 50% of any social situations with really low level magic, like Friends, disguise self or Charm Person.

None of those are problems in an old-school dungeon crawl, but if you're trying to do something else, it really breaks down. Grab one if you've got a spare skill available and you're charisma stat is good, but it's not something D&D cares about.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

the best roleplaying game is a post it note scrawled with dUnGeOnS aNd DrAgOnS

Do you charge the orc?

Yes □
No □
Maybe □

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Serf posted:

true, but that doesn't really explain why the system doesn't allow for a wise, charismatic or smart fighter. any one of those should be a viable choice

You can make a wise, charismatic, or smart fighter. They should probably be strong too, though.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Heck, you could also go Fast.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

rumble in the bunghole posted:

social mechanics are an afterthought anyway, speccing into them as your schtick is a trap for basically any class. Since it's mostly done through RP, its mostly up to what the GM feels like, and if they've planned a fight they'll probably push towards that happening because if you succeed you have an anticlimax and 2 hours to kill. There's no guidelines about the effect it has or how many roles are appropriate (I've been in games where it's just roll after roll until failure, then fight), it's very common to just roleplay the conversation and ignore the mechanics, so if you do invest it's often a waste. Everything is tied to charisma, so you can't persuade people via having a really good plan or idea or intimidating people with being a 7 foot barbarian wearing dragon-skin. Barely any of the classes get anything that helps with them. There's no guidelines to handle external factors assisting your claim. Last but not least, casters can trivialize 50% of any social situations with really low level magic, like Friends, disguise self or Charm Person.

None of those are problems in an old-school dungeon crawl, but if you're trying to do something else, it really breaks down. Grab one if you've got a spare skill available and you're charisma stat is good, but it's not something D&D cares about.

A good post

Serf
May 5, 2011

Reik posted:

You can make a wise, charismatic, or smart fighter. They should probably be strong too, though.

what if your fighter fights smarter and not harder?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean honestly if you just dumped the whole skill system and made things like Wise, Friendly, or Smart optional class (or background!) features you'd probably save yourself a lot of hassle.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Serf posted:

what if your fighter fights smarter and not harder?

Then your fighter is probably a Battle Master and uses things like Commander's Strike, Maneuvering Attack, or Distracting Strike.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Warhammer Fantasy had combat skills basically untied from ability scores as I remember. It was all percentile based, but you could say.. have a really good Weapon Skill but a poo poo Whatever Was Strength.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Reik posted:

Then your fighter is probably a Battle Master and uses things like Commander's Strike, Maneuvering Attack, or Distracting Strike.

none of those actually require Charisma

hell, they don't even require Strength

all the ladies say I
Aug 24, 2005

Acción de Espionaje Táctico
You guys know there is a cool UA that gives cool Charisma feats that work well on the fighter because of his extra multi attacks. It's pretty cool you can check it out.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
went to join a roll20 game, and the dm shared a 200 page homebrew setting document. about half of it is devoted to milsim minutiae and tacticool breach loading winchestwhatever the fucks.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Any choice bits you recall before noping the gently caress out?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Death by incubus is now my favorite death, rip to my gf’s character

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Roland Jones posted:

If he's just concerned about being tanky: Choose fighter, wear the heaviest armor you can this and a shield, pick Defense or Protection fighting style.

Now go do literally whatever the hell else you want, up to and including 19 levels of warlock with a pact blade. Level 1 fighters are hilariously easy to set up out the door with 18 or 19 AC, more as soon as they can afford/steal plate mail.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

NGDBSS posted:

Any choice bits you recall before noping the gently caress out?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RKhklwcRkFPST-Rx63LCUvw63ZTNOWesqqJdbd_ufaw/edit
this is the pocket version, so only like 33~ pages

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

You weren't kidding about the minutiae, holy poo poo. Even most of what you shared there is poo poo only the DM is ever going to care about, and details that can be discussed if need be when people are figuring out their characters in session zero. Keep a setting bible if you want, but don't make your players read it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
maybe you missed a framing device and it's actually a milsimsim and you sometimes suffer from lag and can find speedhacks

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Was this GM planning to have a whole metaplot with multiple interweaving games or something? I've seen someone try that before in my local scene and it seemed exceptionally self-indulgent even without a setting bible. (It also didn't help that said GM used an old PC of his as an endgame adversary.)

Edit: Alright, having skimmed through this I can tell that 5E really does not do what this GM wants, and that attempting to force it to fit is going to be a horrible experience for all involved. At the least they could've gotten a decent fit for their ideas just by repurposing one of the Iron Kingdoms RPGs (Full Metal Fantasy or Unleashed) and filing off some serial numbers.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 23, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Roland Jones posted:

The problem with Fighters in 3.x and 5e is that all they do is make HP go down, lift things, and maybe prone a guy. If all you want to do is make HP go down, lift things, and maybe prone a guy, then pump str, con, wis, and dex in that order, put on some heavy armour, grab battlemaster and take precision strike + the prone one. If you want to in any way interact with any mechanics other than making HP go down, lifting things, and maybe proning a guy, don't play a fighter. Also unless the GM tells the casters they're not allowed play their classes to avoid hurting your feelings they're going to be way better at lifting things and proning guys, and quickly start getting spells whose entire purpose are to minimise the amount of needed HP go down.

Firstborn posted:

Here's what you do: tell the fighter to put his stats in STR, and when he wants to be charismatic, just let him do it regardless of what his paper says there. Give him advantage on his +0 persuasion roll when he gets really into it.
It's dumb to try and sideline that player actually roleplaying with some dumb "actually your WIS is only 11, you wouldn't behave that way" mentality.
You see, we're mostly in agreement. I'm saying "D&D is bad, play a better system." You're saying "D&D is bad, Ship of Theseus yourself into playing a better system." Mine just involves less self delusion.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I respect your opinion, but I don't think D&D is bad. I think it doesn't simulate everything people want, and sometimes they call it bad. Playing within the stipulations and rule sets of D&D I find perfectly acceptable and fine, and I recognize this is a collaborative effort and not a white room discussion about MMO classes. I'd say probably 90% of anyone's issues could be fixed by "ask your DM" and you could have a fun game.

Whether or not that is cheating or a failing of the system I just kind of don't bother with. Most likely for nostalgia reasons, D&D makes sense to me and I don't have a problem with it. I'm sorry if this sounds like a cop out to anyone. I didn't really appreciate you calling my fondness for the game and the ability to bend the rules to your particular group a "delusion", but that's okay.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Would giving max HP for the first 3 levels be a good idea? A lot of low level monsters can take out huge chunks of HP, and I'm hoping this can help smooth it out some.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

The Bee posted:

Would giving max HP for the first 3 levels be a good idea? A lot of low level monsters can take out huge chunks of HP, and I'm hoping this can help smooth it out some.

Yes, that is a good idea.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Any of you know of a good random character generator that will generate leveled characters, bonus if it prints everything on one sheet of paper?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Bee posted:

Giving out max HP for ALL levels is a good idea.

Giving out an extra +10 max HP if you're playing at level 1 is also a good idea, and then it's up to you whether you want to take that away at a later time once there's more of a cushion, or not.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Giving out max HP for ALL levels is a good idea.

Giving out an extra +10 max HP if you're playing at level 1 is also a good idea, and then it's up to you whether you want to take that away at a later time once there's more of a cushion, or not.

Okay, awesome. I know damage scales way less harshly than HP does, so I wasn't sure if that'd tip things too harshly once out of the low-level death zone.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Firstborn posted:

I respect your opinion, but I don't think D&D is bad. I think it doesn't simulate everything people want, and sometimes they call it bad. Playing within the stipulations and rule sets of D&D I find perfectly acceptable and fine, and I recognize this is a collaborative effort and not a white room discussion about MMO classes. I'd say probably 90% of anyone's issues could be fixed by "ask your DM" and you could have a fun game.

Whether or not that is cheating or a failing of the system I just kind of don't bother with. Most likely for nostalgia reasons, D&D makes sense to me and I don't have a problem with it. I'm sorry if this sounds like a cop out to anyone. I didn't really appreciate you calling my fondness for the game and the ability to bend the rules to your particular group a "delusion", but that's okay.

i can have a "fun game" doing anything. that's a loving meaningless statement. what if the gm doesn't think of these magical fixes or doesn't know what to do?
What happens if you have a player who's playing a bard who in backstory is just as charismatic as your "fixed" fighter only he has the stats to back it up? do you give him advantage for when he gets into it? What if the guy playing the "charismatic" fighter isn't a good roleplayer but he wants to play someone more eloquent than himself?

so yes you telling people the game's okay as long as one player does the job of the people actually writing the book is a loving delusion and that's putting it nicely

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Elfgames posted:

What happens if you have a player who's playing a bard who in backstory is just as charismatic as your "fixed" fighter only he has the stats to back it up? do you give him advantage for when he gets into it?

"Inspiration is a rule the Dungeon Master can use to
reward you for playing your character in a way that's
true to his or her personality traits, ideal, bond, and flaw."

"Your DM can choose to give you inspiration for a variety
of reasons. TypicalIy, DMs award it when you play
out your personality traits, give in to the drawbacks
presented by a flaw or bond, and otherwise portray your
character in a compelling way."

"lf you have inspiration, you can expend it when you make
an attack rolI, saving throw, or ability check. Spending
your inspiration gives you advantage on that roll."

The DM could think of these "magical fixes" by reading the PHB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Inspiration is not at all the same thing as giving a Fighter carte blanche Advantage on all Charisma checks because they want to be charistmatic but also not useless in combat