Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pershing posted:

I just came here to post that...I normally lurk here but I haven't been so angry about a radio interview in forever.

I had heard Oren on NPR earlier, such a different tone from the interviewer. It was like a friend concerned about someone's behavior but resigned to idea that they wont change.

In conclusion, gently caress Michael Oren forever.

same, I haven't been so pissed in a while, what a huge piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I know this not mean much, but you can send a complaint to npr regarding that. It's a small thing you can do atm.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Regarde Aduck posted:

I wonder what the useless centrist press will say on that day. The day when the genocide is complete. How will they justify that not one Palestinian is left? I know they will but I wonder how. Will they actually try and spin a story of a culture gone mad and suicidal? Throwing themselves towards certain death to the last man, woman and child? Will they just deny it happened and claim the survivors simply fled to neighboring regions somehow? The current narrative of Israel under siege won't hold. Whatever they come up with will be a grim work of art.

Hamas pointedly refused to maintain vital infrastructure in Gaza, forcing its people to drink sewage and eat gravel. Obviously this is what happens when the US doesn't topple democratically elected brown people, and can be used to justify the next couple decades of military intervention in the middle east.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Hamas pointedly refused to maintain vital infrastructure in Gaza, forcing its people to drink sewage and eat gravel. Obviously this is what happens when the US doesn't topple democratically elected brown people, and can be used to justify the next couple decades of military intervention in the middle east.

Reference please. This is a place where a blockade prevents concrete and text books from being imported due to Israeli state categorizing those things are dangerous.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
They're bombing Gaza tonight.
(Sources: Gazan FB friends)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ughhhh posted:

Reference please. This is a place where a blockade prevents concrete and text books from being imported due to Israeli state categorizing those things are dangerous.

Uh. That was a suggestion as to how the media might spin a potential Gazan extinction, not my personal views. I am well aware of the blockade.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
So uh...I didn't expect TheOnion to go there:

IDF Soldier Recounts Harrowing, Heroic War Story Of Killing 8-Month-Old Child

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

The Onion has repeatedly earned its position as America's Finest News Source.

https://www.theonion.com/netanyahu-announces-day-of-mourning-for-fence-damaged-i-1826046925

https://www.theonion.com/israeli-soldiers-open-fire-on-palestinians-carrying-pot-1826018684

https://politics.theonion.com/trump-fascinated-by-israeli-cultural-tradition-of-mass-1826014445

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Pershing posted:

I just came here to post that...I normally lurk here but I haven't been so angry about a radio interview in forever.

I had heard Oren on NPR earlier, such a different tone from the interviewer. It was like a friend concerned about someone's behavior but resigned to idea that they wont change.

In conclusion, gently caress Michael Oren forever.

That NPR interview was positively simpering.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

pro starcraft loser posted:

No, its loving stupid to bring an infant to any area that could (will in this case) be a scene of violence.

Unfortunately i doubt gaza has much access to birth control so there's not really any choice in the matter.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Back in 2014 there was a Hamas police chief who was at his station when his house was destroyed by the IDF killing 18 members of his family so you can't even leave the kids at home

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Read about Izzeldin Abuelaish, Palestinian doctor. He was actually on Israeli tv when the military killed his 3 daughters and a niece in their home. (2009 Cast Lead)
Total rubbish to think Gazan children are safe from the Israeli forces in their homes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da4p-iVi1i8

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 17, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

LOAC as a Jus in Bello concept (which is mainly what people mean when they talk about war crimes) is intentionally agnostic to the moral rightness of a cause, on the assumption that both sides (if they're the sort of people who care about LOAC) probably think they're the good guys: it prescribes certain standards of behavior that all combatants have to follow to be considered lawful. It's perfectly possible to be a lawful belligerent without a state of you follow the rules (responsibility to higher authority, carrying arms openly, etc). If it allowed an exception for "righteous" causes, then every side would claim to be righteous and the rules would be meaningless.

Hm yes, the French Resistance were in the wrong because they didn't wear uniforms or engage the Wehrmacht in pitched battles.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 17, 2018

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
imagine being the kind of person who believes the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising was illegal, and was necessary to put down with all due force, as the undisciplined terrorist mob approached the walls.

and knows, in his heart, that he would have been right there shooting into the mob with glee, knowing he was in the right for doing so

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You see, it was actually impossible for German army to commit war crimes in occupied France, because the French resistance shamefully refused to wear nametags and bear arms openly for easy identification, rendering the doctrine of Jus In Bello void in their country, now watch how morally agnostic I can be as the Nazis execute civilians in retaliation for insufficient obedience...gosh I just can't tell who is right or wrong so I just have to assume that the morally justified side is the one in the snappy uniforms doing the mass killings!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, the Nazis were just following laws as they were enacted. That means they couldn't be wrong.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Are they still killing people or did they go back to Gaza now? I wanted to find out but they gassed the GBS thread.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The fence is keeping everyone in Gaza, with a kill zone that ranges from 200 meters from the fence to 1 kilometer from it depending on the mood of the IDF officers that day.

Edit: In imperial, it's a kill zone that goes from roughly 600 feet to roughly 3,300 feet. A bit more than half a mile.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 17, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

That NPR interview was positively simpering.

NPR always takes this "We may disagree, sir/ma'am, but I respect your opinion" tone towards "respectable" conservatives or centrist Democrats (or topics those groups are bad about, like Israel), but adopt this sort of incredulous/condescending tone any time they discuss the radical left or Bernie Sanders or whatever. People say that "liberals prefer conservatives to the radical left" is an exaggeration, but it really isn't.

Ze Pollack posted:

imagine being the kind of person who believes the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising was illegal, and was necessary to put down with all due force, as the undisciplined terrorist mob approached the walls.

and knows, in his heart, that he would have been right there shooting into the mob with glee, knowing he was in the right for doing so

The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising in general is a pretty good analogy to use against a lot of the pro-Israel arguments in contexts like these.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 17, 2018

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Nice Polite Republicans

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

NPR always takes this "We may disagree, sir/ma'am, but I respect your opinion" tone towards "respectable" conservatives or centrist Democrats (or topics those groups are bad about, like Israel), but adopt this sort of incredulous/condescending tone any time they discuss the radical left or Bernie Sanders or whatever. People say that "liberals prefer conservatives to the radical left" is an exaggeration, but it really isn't.

The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising in general is a pretty good analogy to use against a lot of the pro-Israel arguments in contexts like these.

Eh, you do need to do quite a bit of legwork to convince your listener that staying in Gaza is quite as much of a death sentence as being transported to Treblinka. The things that make it lethal on a grand scale are subtle and slow, not spectacular and fast - the lawn-mowing operations aren’t nearly as deadly as the lack of medical facilities or drinkable water.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

They didn't even have uniforms or hang up pictures that neatly displayed their chain of command, savages! :qq:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

UltraRed posted:

Are they still killing people or did they go back to Gaza now? I wanted to find out but they gassed the GBS thread.

The protests have been much smaller the last couple of days, though there were also demonstrations in the West Bank, and the killings appear to have died down, at least for now. The lack of coverage doesn't mean much, though - remember that the protests (and occasional shootings) were going on for more than a month before Israel decided to shoot sixty-two people in a single day.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I don't wanna derail the thread too much with this stupid bullshit by a known fuckwad poster but the treatment of nazi collaborators by different countries after the end of hostilities in WW2 does certainly invite inspection especially w/r/t how western powers were rather quick to install essentially the same bastards who gladly worked with the 3rd reich compared to east germany/etc who actively tried, prosecuted and in many cases executed/deposed the scum who rolled over and cooperated with the nazis. Anyway back to palestinians being murdered and poisoned by toxic runoff.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

reignonyourparade posted:

Unfortunately i doubt gaza has much access to birth control so there's not really any choice in the matter.

Tldr it's complicated. And something to which aid agencies are attentive.

This article owns. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.alaraby.co.uk/english/amp/comment/2017/6/1/birth-control-contraception-and-abortion-in-gaza

universal free access to contraception is one of my Things

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, you do need to do quite a bit of legwork to convince your listener that staying in Gaza is quite as much of a death sentence as being transported to Treblinka. The things that make it lethal on a grand scale are subtle and slow, not spectacular and fast - the lawn-mowing operations aren’t nearly as deadly as the lack of medical facilities or drinkable water.

The analogy is pretty solid against the specific arguments people usually use (which revolve around stuff like resistance not wearing uniforms, etc), but if you want to be nitpicky you can use resistance in occupied France during WW2 as an example instead.

Regardless, anyone who you're still having to argue with in 2018 is likely either a lost cause to begin with or just started learning about the issue and is going to inevitably end up with the right opinion in the long run as they follow more news, etc.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ytlaya posted:

The analogy is pretty solid against the specific arguments people usually use (which revolve around stuff like resistance not wearing uniforms, etc), but if you want to be nitpicky you can use resistance in occupied France during WW2 as an example instead.

Regardless, anyone who you're still having to argue with in 2018 is likely either a lost cause to begin with or just started learning about the issue and is going to inevitably end up with the right opinion in the long run as they follow more news, etc.

in the latter case, gently introducing them to Team Good Talking Points is important!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ultramega posted:

I don't wanna derail the thread too much with this stupid bullshit by a known fuckwad poster but the treatment of nazi collaborators by different countries after the end of hostilities in WW2 does certainly invite inspection especially w/r/t how western powers were rather quick to install essentially the same bastards who gladly worked with the 3rd reich compared to east germany/etc who actively tried, prosecuted and in many cases executed/deposed the scum who rolled over and cooperated with the nazis. Anyway back to palestinians being murdered and poisoned by toxic runoff.

Is it ironic, then, that the former East is now where AfD performs best?

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

Is it ironic, then, that the former East is now where AfD performs best?

Not really, no. Communist governments were really effective at stifling ethnic divisions in the countries they held power in, but that doesn't mean the populations of former communist countries are all magically less racist or even more tolerant. Look at how the russian federation treats queer people.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
For those of you who support the palestinians (and human rights and common decency in general) , please take a moment to purchase and read the incredible Norman Finklesteins newest book, it is a complete and thorough demolishing of the narratives espoused by Apartheid Fascists, and documents extensively the horror the palestinians had to face from the IDF and their supporters:-

https://www.amazon.com/Gaza-Inquest..._s_a_1_1&sr=8-1

Truth, Knowledge and facts is the path to defeating Racism and Apartheid fascism.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 18, 2018

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Just got a copy. Thank you.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i spent all my money on verso's marx sale

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

in the latter case, gently introducing them to Team Good Talking Points is important!

I think analogies work well for this, because it forces the person to explain why the analogy isn't valid in order to "defeat" your argument. WW2, as cliche as it is, often works well for analogies like this because it's something most people will agree on some basics about (regarding the morality of different events and factions, etc). I agree that something like resistance in occupied France is better than the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising for the sake of this analogy, though, since the latter brings into play more imminent death for a greater percent of the population.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VwKdNGkvl4

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Your Parents posted:

not sure what syria and lebanon have to do with comparing israel and palestine's numbers. israel is not currently attempting to genocide the syrians or lebanese.

You're the one who brought up Nazis. I don't think Israel's actions in Gaza are defensible and I haven't defended them. If Israel are Nazis, then why are you defending a country with 100x the kill rate, who is responsible for this?

quote:

The deal came after nearly two weeks of barrel bombings, mortar attacks surface-to-surface missile attacks and strikes by Syrian and Russian warplanes that pounded Yarmouk at a rate that reached 40 strikes every hour, according to the London-based Action Group for Palestinians in Syria.

At least two dozen civilians were killed. About 5,000 people — the majority of Yarmouk’s remaining civilians after a siege of nearly five years — fled into adjoining neighbourhoods. Said the UN Relief Works Agency’s Chris Gunness: “Yarmouk has been transformed into a death camp, like one of the lower regions of hell.” Estimates of the number of civilians still in Yarmouk’s bombed-out buildings vary, but they may be as few as 1,000, mostly old people and the wounded, trapped under fallen roofs or hiding in basements.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Kim Jong Il posted:

You're the one who brought up Nazis. I don't think Israel's actions in Gaza are defensible and I haven't defended them. If Israel are Nazis, then why are you defending a country with 100x the kill rate, who is responsible for this?

He's not defending Syria you sophist.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Kim Jong Il posted:

what about what about what about what about what about what about what about what about what about what about what about what about

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How dare you hold a state that receives massive diplomatic and financial support from your own nation to a higher standard than already sanctioned pariahs.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Israeli Nationalists: We are the only shining beacon of freedom and decency in this dystopian barbarian pit known as the Middle East!

Also Israeli Nationalists: Why do you keep singling us out when all these penny fascist third world dictatorships also keep massacring people??? :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know that point when you realise when you're favorably comparing your side to The Lion Assad? That's gotta be a doozy for self-deception.