Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

slidebite posted:

Air Canada intercontinental BC is actually pretty decent in my experience.... domestic, it's nothing to write home about except I find the crew nice.

Yeah, my only honest point of comparison between the two is the lounges at their respective flagship airports, because I've only flow AC BC domestic/transborder and only Club World overseas. The T5 BA lounge in Heathrow was amazing, and every part of it seemed like they really paid attention to detail, and the AC lounge at Pearson is just a complete dumpster fire by comparison. I suppose it's possible the in-flight service is loads better, but I see no reason why it would be.

Iberia intra-Europe business class was better than AC domestic business class, IMO. The seating was worse, but the food and beverage service was much better.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PT6A posted:

Yeah, my only honest point of comparison between the two is the lounges at their respective flagship airports, because I've only flow AC BC domestic/transborder and only Club World overseas. The T5 BA lounge in Heathrow was amazing, and every part of it seemed like they really paid attention to detail, and the AC lounge at Pearson is just a complete dumpster fire by comparison. I suppose it's possible the in-flight service is loads better, but I see no reason why it would be.

Iberia intra-Europe business class was better than AC domestic business class, IMO. The seating was worse, but the food and beverage service was much better.

They've done something to remedy that now. You've got the Maple Leaf lounges for scrub tier frequent fliers and paid add on for some economy fares, and the new Premier lounges for if you're actually paying for business class or are Super Elite.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Bub I’ve travelled with 12 lipos a whole bunch of times and never had issues. Print the regs if you’re so afraid.

So have I, big boy, but let me reiterate that if captain plastic badge wanted to shake me down that day, quoting regs wouldn't have gotten the batteries on the plane.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i wish i could find the gif of the first time the yf-23 taxied and the fly by wire was trying to compensate for the bumbs in the taxiway and the flaps were going nuts.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Finger Prince posted:

They've done something to remedy that now. You've got the Maple Leaf lounges for scrub tier frequent fliers and paid add on for some economy fares, and the new Premier lounges for if you're actually paying for business class or are Super Elite.
I found YYZ to just be an all around blah airport, but I don't recall ever being in any Air Canada lounge that wasn't a Maple Leaf. I don't recall the MLL there being terrible, just frigging packed.

Anyhow, flights are officially booked!

Middle row of the A359 from YVR-MUC but that's not the end of the world since we'll both have aisle access, but I'm like a little kid with my desire for windows so slightly disappointed. I'll probably see if we do something with that at check in, but not holding my breath.

...and snagged upper deck of the 744 so one of my bucket-list flights will be done. Is there something wrong with me that I am looking forward to the flights just as much, or more, than the trip itself?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

I found YYZ to just be an all around blah airport, but I don't recall ever being in any Air Canada lounge that wasn't a Maple Leaf. I don't recall the MLL there being terrible, just frigging packed.

Anyhow, flights are officially booked!

Middle row of the A359 from YVR-MUC but that's not the end of the world since we'll both have aisle access, but I'm like a little kid with my desire for windows so slightly disappointed. I'll probably see if we do something with that at check in, but not holding my breath.

...and snagged upper deck of the 744 so one of my bucket-list flights will be done. Is there something wrong with me that I am looking forward to the flights just as much, or more, than the trip itself?

Well done! Yeah it's a new thing with the lounges. They're moving upmarket with their international business class and the new lounges are part of that. YYZ, especially the international side of T1 is a huge disappointment, though I notice they have a Pho place now, which is about 1000x better than anything prior. The food is still total garbage and overpriced because they can. Gate areas just don't have the capacity for multiple widebodies boarding at the same time from adjacent gates either.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

slidebite posted:

Is there something wrong with me that I am looking forward to the flights just as much, or more, than the trip itself?

Not at all.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm flying a 747 for the first time on the way back from London this fall, I'm pretty excited about that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Midjack posted:

So have I, big boy, but let me reiterate that if captain plastic badge wanted to shake me down that day, quoting regs wouldn't have gotten the batteries on the plane.
i'm sorry your people skills are lacking i guess

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Plinkey posted:

I'm flying a 747 for the first time on the way back from London this fall, I'm pretty excited about that.

You'll enjoy it. I did 2 trips back and forth in 2014 on Delta and really enjoyed them. Upper deck is much more enjoyable (much quieter and less people) if you can swing it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The relative demise of the 747 makes me sad to think about, it's just such a gorgeous and remarkably capable aircraft.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

evil_bunnY posted:

i'm sorry your people skills are lacking i guess

He may not be tall, white, and male. I've noticed that helps a significant amount when dealing with people.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I remember the first time I heard the stereo++ of 4 engines throttling up at the same time, pretty cool.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Plinkey posted:

i wish i could find the gif of the first time the yf-23 taxied and the fly by wire was trying to compensate for the bumbs in the taxiway and the flaps were going nuts.

Had to go searching, and this did not disappoint.
https://i.imgur.com/2THXFah.gifv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-v2OLrYCFw

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

He may not be tall, white, and male. I've noticed that helps a significant amount when dealing with people.

So does not being the type of person to say “let me reiterate”

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Looks right out of Ace Combat. What a gorgeous airplane.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

movax posted:

Looks right out of Ace Combat. What a gorgeous airplane.

I had a dream a few months ago that President Sanders was doing a photo-op in a production F-23A and I have never been more disappointed to wake up in my life

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Okay, which one of you dumped the entire thread's worth of images on imgur?

https://imgur.com/gallery/K2PrZzB

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

I had a dream a few months ago that President Sanders was doing a photo-op in a production F-23A and I have never been more disappointed to wake up in my life

Yes, others probably would have wished for you to stay in hell forever

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

That’s a good point indeed

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Nice piece of fish posted:

Horseformer = Neb

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nice piece of fish posted:

I was honestly just trying to organize my imgur because that massive aircraft dump was taking up 2/3rds the space, making it difficult to find things : /

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also should I tag NWS nose art, because I totally forgot about that

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

I was honestly just trying to organize my imgur because that massive aircraft dump was taking up 2/3rds the space, making it difficult to find things : /

Any chance you could re-post the download link? The download post link on the album says it's expired. I love me some plane pictures.

e: wait, nvm. This tool let me do the doing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbDVvpC_bFI

charliemonster42 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 24, 2018

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

For a second there, the colors made me think that was Have Blue, but, uh... no.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

:eek: clip of Mustang landing in a Duxford field, followed by the pilot's account of it. The intermittent engine problems made the situation more difficult to handle, but he made a really good decision in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBpqvPujZgM

e: he mentions fuel pressure, you can watch the gauge above his right knee, the needle pointing to the right.

e2: you can hear the whistling gun port "AoA indicator" as well.

Ola fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 24, 2018

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
So just going through that massive imgur album, reverse GIS this one. Go on, I dare you.

Also if anyone wants to chip in with ID's on the planes, that's always a fun game to play

e: here's another angle if that's helpful

slothrop fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 24, 2018

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

slothrop posted:

So just going through that massive imgur album, reverse GIS this one. Go on, I dare you.

Also if anyone wants to chip in with ID's on the planes, that's always a fun game to play

e: here's another angle if that's helpful

My best guess:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I think your "FH Phantom?" is an F2H Banshee

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Oh and I'm quite sure the bus is a GM PD-4104

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

simplefish posted:

That one's actually an F9F Panther, the white one beneath it is an F2H, and the one just to their right that you can see in the other photo is an F9F Cougar, the swept-wing version of the Panther.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I think the only one I'd contradict you on is what you have labeled F8F, I don't think it's a Bearcat, I think it's a Ryan FR Fireball

I had forgotten about the F3D and thought it was an F6D(?), I didn't know/had forgotten about the Savage and the Guardian and boy is that A-3 well disguised! I think the dark paintjob on it doesn't help, usually you see them in the light gray.

In the reverse angle the row closest to the camera has some interesting stuff going on. On the right I'm fairly certain is a Cougar, the middle I guess is an intermediate variant of the F9 and on the left maybe an earlier version?

fake edit. Your Phantom is a Panther? and the reverse angle shows the FH Phantom on the far left I think

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

simplefish posted:

Nah, looks like an F9F Panther, and the F2H Banshee is just below it. The Cougar is across from those two.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Ah right

"What's this plane?" is the best game

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

simplefish posted:

Ah right

It's honestly one of my favourite games

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Some old forum I used to post on had a guy who’d post really obscure vehicles to guess, and the couple months he did Soviet Navy stuff was the most fun Ive had on a forum before. Some of them were like finding a total of 2 pictures available on the internet, and now you’re looking up Soviet naval radars because that’s all you have to go off of. poo poo was hard.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 24, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Is this a reference to something, or is it just cool

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is this a reference to something, or is it just cool

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4729/the-toxic-death-paint-scheme-was-the-f-117-nighthawks-most-outrageous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

simplefish posted:

Ah right

So what is this again?